Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-21-2019, 5:16 PM

Well that doesnt help the fact that the whole reason I bought it was because of the paint job. Plus I really dont wanna go sawing a pinned and welded muzzle device off of
Old 09-21-2019, 11:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Swap on a new barrel nut from the same manufacturer.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ask Larry.

Midway has, or used to have, an ask (contact?) Larry feature. A couple of times items I received or orders I had placed had issues. Customer service was not really helpful. I used the ask Larry feature, explained my problem and ended up being completely satisfied.

So if the product was crap, you might be able to get your money back.

Good luck with the rifle.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 09-22-2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast54vw View Post
pretty sure that guy got busted (again) for making and selling 80% stuff. last time i was there he got word that he was put on a no fly list and under investigation.

i can line it up good until i tighten up the 3 screws, then its out of alignment. already tried that 6 months ago
PT Gunworks no-go. His best and probably only gunsmith left to another place last year or so. Last time I went in there, I saw 1 gunsmith hiding away in the back (possibly a illegal immigrant), I work couple buildings down from it. The place is no more. Nothing there except couple fixtures.
Old 09-22-2019, 7:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That freefloat is crooked and way too thick, must be heavy too. Replace it with something like Guntech, those are straight and very light.

Then hit the whole thing with a camo stencil and green/black paint to cover up that horrible paintjob.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
That freefloat is crooked and way too thick, must be heavy too. Replace it with something like Guntech, those are straight and very light.
You're right. The handguard is way too thick to be a Midwest Industries. The knurling on the nut also appears to be too aggressive. I think it's a cheap knockoff.

The few handguards I couldn't get to line up properly were Guntech's. So I'm not sure I would recommend them either.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
If you have a lathe, you can chuck the upper in it and square off the mating face. Call midway and see if you can get your money back.
Kevin
he has a large, not a lathe

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
It may be a optical illusion. But it looks like the barrel nut is crooked.
Measure from the barrel to the edge of the knurling Top and bottom.
thats what I thought too

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:27 PM

For those who asked. From the receiver front to the top edge of the nut is .003
Old 09-22-2019, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Mute, yes it had all 4 of them. Twisting, pulling, Fighting to get this stupid thing on and off 50 times Ive broken them off.
That's not going to help you with your problem then. If the handguard was designed with those in place breaking them off may allow you to install, but it will never fit properly. If it was that difficult to install, you should have started with a better handguard system. Paint job can always be done separately.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 09-22-2019, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
well calguns and just about every other one when you google search for the problem of the barrel not being centered in the tube is because the upper receiver face is not square to the receiver bore
http://www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml

Receiver Facing $20

This service is to setup an AR receiver in the lathe and re-cut the front face perfectly square. It is not uncommon to see the receiver face 0.001" or more out-of-square. This service ensures that the barrel will seat square to the receiver's centerline. The machined end of the receiver will be left unfinished.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/receiver-facing2.jpg

Last edited by akjunkie; 09-22-2019 at 2:48 PM..
Old 09-22-2019, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Holy crap. Now looking at the pictures, I would maybe throw it in the ocean and start from scratch. I hope you can get a refund.
Yeah, the ocean will dissolve that thing in a few decades. Then buy a new upper and paint it Confederate if you want. Anyone that can afford a large shouldn't have to shop at garage sales for ugly, obsolete, keymod uppers.
Old 09-22-2019, 6:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It looks like the barrel nut can be tapped and threaded. Similar to a seekings.
All this talk of a large makes me wish I had one..
Kevin
Old 09-22-2019, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
You're right. The handguard is way too thick to be a Midwest Industries. The knurling on the nut also appears to be too aggressive. I think it's a cheap knockoff.
I agree with this. I got an 18in upper i as part of a trade agreement and it had a damn near identical upper on it. It was some bootleg version of an MI and if it wasnt pointing downward it was sliding forward no matter what I did.

I ended up moving the barrel to an Aero M4 Enhanced upper/rail combo and called it a day
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 09-22-2019, 7:47 PM

Sigstroker
**** throwing it in the ocean, I walked out through in the back of my pick up it was there in the morning great, if its there a week from now, I really dont care, im done with it . And as I said in an earlier post I bought it from a gun store not a ****ing swap meet . And in fact I have a large large, a small lathe, 2 CNC, and 2 milling machines. And as for the spelling error (that I already addressed like 2 days ago) I cant control that if I misspell something because of the tiny ****ing keyboard on this phone , my so-called smart phone thinks its smarter than me and comes up with an entirely different word rather than change one letter to make it correct.
Old 09-22-2019, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sigstroker
**** throwing it in the ocean, I walked out through in the back of my pick up it was there in the morning great, if its there a week from now, I really dont care, im done with it . And as I said in an earlier post I bought it from a gun store not a ****ing swap meet . And in fact I have a large large, a small lathe, 2 CNC, and 2 milling machines. And as for the spelling error (that I already addressed like 2 days ago) I cant control that if I misspell something because of the tiny ****ing keyboard on this phone , my so-called smart phone thinks its smarter than me and comes up with an entirely different word rather than change one letter to make it correct.
Turn off your auto-correct. Mine constantly effed things up beyond recognition. At least when I make a mistake, it's still decipherable by the recipient. With auto-correct it was unintelligible.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For those who asked. From the receiver front to the top edge of the nut is .003
I suspect that the nut might NOT be seating properly.
There should be more than 0.003"between the nut and the front of the rail on the reciever.
More like 0.030" to 0.060".
Mark the top of the nut while it's tightened on the reciever.
Pull the nut off the barrel and face off 0.020" of the back of the nut and see if it screws on further than the mark you made before facing off the back of the nut.
That will show you if the nut was seating aginst the receiver INSTEAD of against the barrel extension flange like it should.

You would also measure the depth of the nut and the length of the threads and barrel extension flange and do the math to figure out the same thing.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-23-2019, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

OP, it looks like you're in Orange County. Perhaps you should arrange to take the whole thing over to Randall at AR15barrels (previous post) and let him take a look. He'll know exactly what you need to do to resolve the issues.
Old 09-23-2019, 7:17 AM

Dont toss it in the ocean! Sell it back at some buy-back program!
Old 09-23-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I suspect that the nut might NOT be seating properly.
There should be more than 0.003"between the nut and the front of the rail on the reciever.
More like 0.030" to 0.060".
Mark the top of the nut while it's tightened on the reciever.
Pull the nut off the barrel and face off 0.020" of the back of the nut and see if it screws on further than the mark you made before facing off the back of the nut.
That will show you if the nut was seating aginst the receiver INSTEAD of against the barrel extension flange like it should.

You would also measure the depth of the nut and the length of the threads and barrel extension flange and do the math to figure out the same thing.
thats to the top of the nut not between the nut and receiver
Old 09-23-2019, 8:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
thats to the top of the nut not between the nut and receiver
How much space is there between the rear of the nut and the front of the reciever when the nut is tightened against the barrel?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.