Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Are there really any major differences in a lower parts kit?

Have a new upper on the way so I want to cobble a new lower together. But I'm seeing so many differing prices in lower parts sets its not funny.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage.
Thucydides (460 BC - 395 BC)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Most Yankee made parts kits work and present very little difference to the average user.
Buy American!

There are coated trigger parts/kits that really do make a difference and can be felt by the average user.
ALG, Failzero etc.. Yankee made too!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-19-2019, 10:52 AM

yes there are differences ..... I've always had good luck with DPMS lpk,s , used a PSA once and the pins were abit oversize , all else were gtg....
Old 09-19-2019, 10:56 AM

There are some differences, but most reputable sources will have decent quality. No need to pay for genuine “Colt” parts but also stay away from no-name fly-by-night places. BCM and Geissele are safe bets, probably Spike’s Tactical as well. There are others but those would be my go-to.

The main differences, ignoring the trigger, are material and surface finish of the detents and springs which may rust or wear out faster (mostly the selector). I’ve replaced a worn detent in one rifle after about a year while other rifles with similar use still have positive clicks in the safeties.

I’ve had bad experiences with two bolt stops; one cracked and the other wouldn’t release without excessive force. Both weren’t functioning like my other ARs and needed to be replaced.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 AM

If you're including the trigger in the kit then the most significant differences are in that. Several kits exclude the trigger and grip because they know people go beyond mil spec for those.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM

I always use CMMG, never had any issues. But I also use the YHM extended takedown pins.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
There are some differences, but most reputable sources will have decent quality. No need to pay for genuine “Colt” parts but also stay away from no-name fly-by-night places. BCM and Geissele are safe bets, probably Spike’s Tactical as well. There are others but those would be my go-to.

The main differences, ignoring the trigger, are material and surface finish of the detents and springs which may rust or wear out faster (mostly the selector). I’ve replaced a worn detent in one rifle after about a year while other rifles with similar use still have positive clicks in the safeties.

I’ve had bad experiences with two bolt stops; one cracked and the other wouldn’t release without excessive force. Both weren’t functioning like my other ARs and needed to be replaced.
Worn detents? Do you mean the brass detent pins themselves or the detent hole and groove in the safety selector cylinder?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Lately I've been personally digging Tom's Tactical. They sell quality American made essential lower parts with free shipping.

Their LPKs are CNC machined from 8620 steel and have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.tomstactical.com/toms-tac...-trigger-group

Quote:
Tom's Tactical Webpage The Toms Tactical AR15 LPK Lower Parts Kit is premium quality and 100% made in the USA. The bolt catch, safety selector, magazine catch, magazine catch button, pivot pin, and takedown pin are all CNC machined from high quality 8620 steel (not MIM) and go through a 3 step heat treat process. This provides superior durability and quality over most other AR15 lower part kits on the market. Works with any mil-spec lower (including Anderson Manufacturing, Aero Precision, PSA, etc). All Tom's Tactical brand products include a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I've have used CMMG, PSA, Andersen, DPMS, they all worked. Some just worked a little better than others for pin fitment.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
I’ve replaced a worn detent in one rifle after about a year while other rifles with similar use still have positive clicks in the safeties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsDad View Post
Worn detents? Do you mean the brass detent pins themselves or the detent hole and groove in the safety selector cylinder?
I've had this issue too, ironically, it was from a Daniel Defense LPK from '09, the tip of the selector detent lost its shape, making the selector mushy AF.

I replaced it and the detent in another AR I had at the time with KNS stainless steel detents. After that the selectors became deliciously positive and are still click-clicking nicely until today.

The current KNS detents are nitrided, so they might even be stronger now.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:33 PM

I have always used CMMG and been in good shape
Old 09-19-2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meeseeks View Post
... the tip of the selector detent lost its shape, making the selector mushy AF.
I've heard of that happening with bad LPK's too; Although, not from DD. Also trigger pin sizes being out of spec & problems with springs. I'll personally stick with BCM, Geiselle or ALG Defense.
Old 09-19-2019, 1:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i have only used PSA kits, but if any part is bad i'll be sure to pickup a higher quality replacement piece.

i do use separate triggers though, ALG for my utility use ar15's, and i bought the larue mbt for my more precision setup ar15s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 09-19-2019, 6:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have used Andersen, BCM, PSA

No issues.

Except 2 of the Andersen's needed the hammer to be re-worked. There was a step on it, that shouldn't have been there causing a false reset. A file fixed it, after their CS said nothing was wrong. I don't think they even tried.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 for ALG Defense

Most US manufacturers will serve you well, all mentioned above

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 09-19-2019, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

These guys...

https://www.righttobear.com/product-p/a-vlpk.htm

...Do a nice job of letting you pick and choose each part.
Old 09-19-2019, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Good thread!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Ive bought CMMG , DPMS , Spikes and Rock River Arms for the most part and have had zero issues. I have had bad luck with PSA kits. In one kit the Thumb Selector switch was impossible to move without two hands and on a couple of AR builds I have had issues with pins not wanting to fit properly.

YMMV may vary but I learned im never buying PSA kits again (unless they are on a stupid dirt cheap sale or part of a kit)
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 09-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Caketown View Post
I have had bad luck with PSA kits. In one kit the Thumb Selector switch was impossible to move without two hands and on a couple of AR builds I have had issues with pins not wanting to fit properly.
When I swapped to a ambi. safety selector, the spring was bent on one end when I took it out. I dunno if that's from normal use.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple765 View Post
When I swapped to a ambi. safety selector, the spring was bent on one end when I took it out. I dunno if that's from normal use.
In my case the diameter of the switch was off , I had to swap out from spare parts. It was a tight fit and I didnt want to drill out the hole for the selector
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I didn't care for the last CMMG parts kit I bought. The takedown pins were longer with a dish cut, very tight. The safety selector pin was sticky, couldn't figure out why until I replaced the grip. It had a chunk missing on the end.

Their quality has slipped.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Lately I've been personally digging Tom's Tactical. They sell quality American made essential lower parts with free shipping.

Their LPKs are CNC machined from 8620 steel and have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.tomstactical.com/toms-tac...-trigger-group
Are they sure about that?

Their stock photo for their LPK appears to show obvious MIM cast holes for the bolt catch and hammer.

So unless their photos of their own LPKs are not correct on their site, not sure how they can claim that the hammer, trigger, and bolt catch are machined and not cast when the photos show obvious cast lines and MIM injection holes.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Last couple Andersen LPK were missing a couple roll pins.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I got a Spike's Enhanced that I was extremely impressed with and absolutely it
is way the heck nicer than your average kit.

- Came with an ERGO grip, which I really like.

- Came with a beautiful billet trigger guard that not only doesn't give you that damn "gap" but also doesn't require roll pins! It has spring loaded pins on both ends! SICK!

- Came with anti-walk pins.

Overall, the Spike's Enhanced is an extremely nice LPK & if any of the things I mentioned are important to you, I'd strongly recommend.

YES; there are differences between LPK's, as others have probably said. Notably is usually the trigger, hammer & sear, grip, etc.

https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...wer-parts-kit/

Old 09-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Are they sure about that?

So unless their photos of their own LPKs are not correct on their site, not sure how they can claim that the hammer, trigger, and bolt catch are machined and not cast when the photos show obvious cast lines and MIM injection holes.
You may be right.

However, they don't claim that their LPKs are not "cast" they claim they're not "MIM".

Traditionally LPKs are made form cast parts which are then further polished and/or machined to get the final shape where it's necessary.

MIM and casting both utilize molds, part lines and other artifacts from molds appear in parts manufactured through both processes unless they're machined out.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

i have good luck installing cmmg and stag arms.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 09-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You may be right.

However, they don't claim that their LPKs are not "cast" they claim they're not "MIM".

Traditionally LPKs are made form cast parts which are then further polished and/or machined to get the final shape where it's necessary.

MIM and casting both utilize molds, part lines and other artifacts from molds appear in parts manufactured through both processes unless they're machined out.
I think they're just using deliberately vague marketing terms. MIM is a form of casting. Yes, you would machine MIM parts, but they try to get away by claiming that their parts are "machined", when of course they would be for the critical surfaces like the sear surfaces and such.

When I hear "machined", I normally assume "machined from billet", hence the confusion with their marketing claim of being "machined" - yeah, machined from a MIM part like all the other LPKs out there.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 PM

Larue MBT trigger $87.00 Can get straight bow, or single stage for same price.
https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
In a world of instantly M.I.M.'d rifle and pistol components, we threw on the brakes, slowed to a walk, and built 2-stage triggers out of solid S7 tool steel plates. Meticulous triggers built by our staff toolmakers ... without a stopwatch in sight.

No question, we’re particular about accuracy. Everyone knows that one of the smartest improvements an AR-owner can do to their rifle is a precision trigger upgrade. Everyone also knows that LaRue Tactical has a track-record of doing things right. The LaRue MBT-2S was purposefully designed and manufactured to render the greatest benefits from our legendary line of accurate rifles. The MBT-2S can also replace the stock trigger on any mil-spec AR lower receiver.

Sparing no expense, all major components are precision-machined from S7 Tool Steel. The result of this extra effort is a glass-smooth, hyper-consistent trigger that will satisfy even the most scrupulous competition shooter, but also be overly rugged for the battlefield. The MBT-2S breaks crisply at 4.5 lbs (2.5 lb first stage, 2 lb second stage) and has a smooth and positive reset. Each trigger comes with an additional "heavy" trigger spring that increases the pull weight to 6 lbs.

Made in-house, in Texas, in the USA.

Last edited by stevebla; 09-20-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Old 09-20-2019, 1:06 PM

The LPK is one critical part of the firearm that you should never skimp on. If someone is selling a LPK for half the price that one from a major brand goes for, that should be a red flag.

With the Chinese import LPK's, you can get parts that are out of spec, break, and fail. Why would you run that risk?

Same thing goes for the BCG, barrel, and upper receiver. Those parts should never be skimped on to save a few bucks. If you want to same some cash, do it on the hand guard, muzzle brake, or some other non critical part.
Old 09-20-2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
The LPK is one critical part of the firearm that you should never skimp on. If someone is selling a LPK for half the price that one from a major brand goes for, that should be a red flag....If you want to same some cash, do it on the hand guard, muzzle brake, or some other non critical part.
I can stand by that.
Old 09-20-2019, 1:51 PM

Only bad kit I ever used was Daniel Defense, it was also the most expensive... The trigger assembly was out of spec and it wouldn't reset without using the trigger forward.
Old 09-20-2019, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Majority of these parts come from the same few manufacturers that make this stuff. There will be tolerance differences across the board.

Small components aren't as much of an issue as critical function parts like trigger parts and trigger springs.
Old 09-20-2019, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
The LPK is one critical part of the firearm that you should never skimp on. If someone is selling a LPK for half the price that one from a major brand goes for, that should be a red flag.

With the Chinese import LPK's, you can get parts that are out of spec, break, and fail. Why would you run that risk?

Same thing goes for the BCG, barrel, and upper receiver. Those parts should never be skimped on to save a few bucks. If you want to same some cash, do it on the hand guard, muzzle brake, or some other non critical part.
Because in general they function fine and one is none but a dozen is plenty. I’ve never fired a gun in need. I’ve got plenty if I have to. I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds with low end lpk and my only issues have been missing parts that they always fixed.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 09-20-2019 at 8:36 PM..
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 AM

I usually use Windahm Weaponry LPK in my builds. Former Bushmaster company. I have never had any trouble with their parts and Ive spoken with the CEO and he assured me all LPK are made in the USA.
Old 09-21-2019, 6:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

You GET what you pay for : BCM & Daniel Defense are the only two I use.
Old 09-21-2019, 6:48 AM

For my last 2 builds I used an Anderson kit and a PSA kit w/ an ALG trigger. I had issues with the Anderson kit trying to put the hammer and trigger pins into my spikes lower and another time the bolt catch pin backed out and I lost it at the range. No issues with the PSA kit
Old 09-21-2019, 7:19 AM

Aero LPK without the fire control group is a great value set.
All of the parts were well-machined and fit without any issues. Granted I haven't put my rifle through a torture test so can't comment on long-term durability.
Old 09-21-2019, 8:09 AM

As for PSA stuff, I'll spend the measly $10 extra bucks for the ept lpk. It takes the rough creep out of the mil spec trigger.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)

Last edited by Rifle ronin; 09-21-2019 at 7:33 PM..
Old 09-21-2019, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Never waste money on a LPK with a trigger and grip. The grip will be tossed out here and the triggers all suck.

Get a bare bones kit of pins and springs. Get a decent ambi safety selector. Buy a CA compliant grip. Buy a decent trigger. I like RTB nickel/Teflon triggers for $35 or the RRA two stage for around $75.
Old 09-21-2019, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
When I hear "machined", I normally assume "machined from billet", hence the confusion with their marketing claim of being "machined" - yeah, machined from a MIM part like all the other LPKs out there.
All "cast" parts are not all "MIM" parts. However, MIM parts are cast parts.

Unless specified that they were machined from stock or billet, almost all AR LPKs, F-marked Front sight bases, and A2 birdcages are made from castings that are then further machined into their final form.

I think it's pertinent to this discussion to clarify for those unaware of these esoteric terms:

"Casting" (noun/verb) is a general term for all parts produced from molds, or any process that uses molds to create parts. When you've popped jello out of a bowl you've made a "casting of the bowl out of jello."

Conversely, a "cast" is a tool/mold traditionally, but not always, made from an existing part. When the doctor plasters your broken arm, he's "cast" you arm. In effect he's created the mold or "tooling" necessary to recreate the exterior dimensions of your arm. If you were to take your arm's empty plaster cast and fill it with wax or resin you'd have a copy of your arm.

MIM ( Metal Injection Molding), is a specific type of casting that doesn't use molten metal but instead powdered metal bound by a binder to fill the mold. It's more cost-effective (cheaper) because it's capable of producing small intricate parts which would be otherwise far more expensive to produce using the older traditional processes of casting and/or machining.

I'm not an expert on this, but I did have to learn it along with various other industrial manufacturing processes years ago to get my degree.

Last edited by Mr. Meeseeks; 09-21-2019 at 9:58 PM..