Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-09-2019, 4:43 PM

Default Riverside CCW Stippling

Hi guys,

Getting ready to do my CCW for Riverside County. I very much want to get my Glock 19 stippled and the finger humps removed as I have lager hands and it doesn't feel great. I found a reliable company with an FFL that will do it but I have heard Riverside does not allow stippling. The last posts I saw on this however were over a year old and I know a lot has changed in Riverside in the last few months. I will be doing my class and shooting test at the Riverside Indoor Shooting Range. Just wondering if anything has changed with Riverside or not? Do they allow stippling or no? This is the only mod that will be done to this gun. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-09-2019, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Call and ask the owner, he's a nice guy. Tom, I think.
Old 09-10-2019, 7:45 AM

Have you started the process for your initial application for a CCW permit? I have had mine for years, but I have never heard or read anything that specifically restricts stippling. All of the pistols you want to put on your permit are inspected by a range officer to make sure they are mechanically safe and function correctly. Stippling has nothing to do with the internal parts or functionality, other than grip preference. A lawyer will try and use modifications against you in court if you are involved in a shooting, but outer cosmetics won't hang you. Ask the background investigator from RSO that will be processing your permit.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenShooter View Post
Have you started the process for your initial application for a CCW permit? I have had mine for years, but I have never heard or read anything that specifically restricts stippling. All of the pistols you want to put on your permit are inspected by a range officer to make sure they are mechanically safe and function correctly. Stippling has nothing to do with the internal parts or functionality, other than grip preference. A lawyer will try and use modifications against you in court if you are involved in a shooting, but outer cosmetics won't hang you. Ask the background investigator from RSO that will be processing your permit.
I have not submitted anything yet as I am waiting for my class which is the 28th of this month. I am going to submit everything at once since there is the option to do that on the new online application. I guess i will just have to talk to my IA as it seems every range officer will use their own opinion to tell you if it is allowed or not. Just didn't know if anyone had gone through it lately and had any idea.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FWIW I took my class in Palm Desert (Second Amendment Sports). The instructor made us place our pistol on a table. I saw that a couple of G19 and XD had stippling work done. Instructor didn't bother to make any remark about it so sounds good to me!!!

Vinny

shuttlecock
Old 09-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersForLife View Post
Hi guys,

Getting ready to do my CCW for Riverside County. I very much want to get my Glock 19 stippled and the finger humps removed as I have lager hands and it doesn't feel great. Do they allow stippling or no? This is the only mod that will be done to this gun. Thanks for any info.
I did my qual at Ben Clark. My 19 is stippled with finger grooves removed. The Deputy that inspected the firearm just squeezed the sides of the grip to insure it wasn't weak. He passed it and it's on my permit

Mark
Old 09-10-2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURRIETA45 View Post
I did my qual at Ben Clark. My 19 is stippled with finger grooves removed. The Deputy that inspected the firearm just squeezed the sides of the grip to insure it wasn't weak. He passed it and it's on my permit

Mark
Thanks for this reply. I think i'll go ahead with the stippling then. Seems like most places are fine with it.
Old 09-10-2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this reply. I think i'll go ahead with the stippling then. Seems like most places are fine with it.
Go for it...just make sure they don't take off too much material.

Mark
Old 09-11-2019, 12:48 PM

So i just got in touch with a deputy at Ben Clark after trying for a few days to get some answers. He told me you can do anything to your weapon you want as long as it is California legal and nothing is done to the internals of the weapon and it remains safe to operate. He said and i quote "if you want to bedazzle it, go right ahead." He said just keep in mind that anything done to it can be used against you in court if you are ever on trial for a shooting. But he actually recommends stippling if it gives you a better grip and gives you more control over the weapon. Just make sure it is done professionally and not a DIY project. Also he said any modification that are done to it need to be done before your qualification test or else you will have to re-qualify every time a mod is made. This is for Riverside County only so i would check with your county before taking this advice if you live elsewhere. Hopefully this provides answers for anyone else that was looking. Thanks for everyone's advice on this thread.
Old 09-11-2019, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So i just got in touch with a deputy at Ben Clark after trying for a few days to get some answers. He told me you can do anything to your weapon you want as long as it is California legal and nothing is done to the internals of the weapon and it remains safe to operate. He said and i quote "if you want to bedazzle it, go right ahead." He said just keep in mind that anything done to it can be used against you in court if you are ever on trial for a shooting. But he actually recommends stippling if it gives you a better grip and gives you more control over the weapon. Just make sure it is done professionally and not a DIY project. Also he said any modification that are done to it need to be done before your qualification test or else you will have to re-qualify every time a mod is made. This is for Riverside County only so i would check with your county before taking this advice if you live elsewhere. Hopefully this provides answers for anyone else that was looking. Thanks for everyone's advice on this thread.

My renewal instructor in OC mentioned stippling grips and changing sights/lasers are fine....but besides internals, nothing can be done to the factory slide, including Cerakote and milling.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!