Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-05-2019, 3:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Obituary: Main rig died yesterday, i5-i7 in my immediate future? ~12 years of service

No power LED, no post, just died while connected to it from work via ssh tunnel (didn't see it happen, but connection severed). Tried PS, no luck, then for giggles, tried GPU, still no love...

12 long years of service (Feb 2007ish) and milking this cow, the 3 real upgrades I did we a Phenom 6-core (from 4), 8GB (MAXed from 2 initial), and 2x SSDs. (A couple PSU's between this time, but I have been horrible regarding blowing it out (in the last 2+ years), as I use to do it about every 6 months.
I have REALLY milked this cow dry...

I have some i7's (Socket 1150?) CPUs pulled from crappy boards, but will probably go with current-tech, and want an i5, or i7 8-core, as I am on Win10 now, Cortana virtually demands it...

Off to newegg I go on the dedicated Linux box, to price new main rig...
well after pr0nhub to rub one-out to her memory.
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...

Last edited by the86d; 09-05-2019 at 3:35 AM..
Old 09-05-2019, 6:10 AM

Did you try testing the power button?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Got can spin with the button, and got power LED with a new power supply, but no post.
She is toast not a bad gig, 12 years of great initial service for about $600-$700 bucks, and that is thelongest I have everrun anything I paid for.
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...
Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 AM

The AMD Ryzen 3000 series is looking pretty good to me... And I haven't built a PC in almost a decade.
Old 09-05-2019, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah probably your MOBO... I have a PhenomII x6 I want to update but it has 20 gigs ram, SSD's, and a GTX 1080 in it... so it is workable still.

I have a lot of parts, so basically I would only need to buy memory to get a i5 going unless I use 8 gig ram. I'm sure I won't be happy with just a i5.
Old 09-05-2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Got can spin with the button, and got power LED with a new power supply, but no post.
She is toast not a bad gig, 12 years of great initial service for about $600-$700 bucks, and that is thelongest I have everrun anything I paid for.
Re-seat your ram. If that doesn't work, if you have more than one stick of ram, remove one, use the other in each slot. If you get no response, try the other stick in each slot. Sounds like you might have a ram chip out possibly. May be as simple as that.

Last edited by Dragunov; 09-05-2019 at 4:24 PM..
Old 09-05-2019, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I jiggled the RAM-handle and it posted, I went to post how awesome you are and it locked up.
I then jiggled the RAM-handle again, and it locked up as I went to post how awesome you are, once again it locked up.

I pulled out one stick, swapped the other 2 around, and made sure they re-seated, and left the 3rd out, and it has been stable.

I am still on that 2nd PS, and the other one is pretty muddy-dust-crusty, so sticking with this one for now. I think the OG PS is going out too, hence the no LED?

I think one other time reseating RAM worked in probably 30 years I have been a PC guy, and this is #2.
Never occurred to me, as this is a very rare thing with clips holding tight on both ends, preventing chip-creep, and I have never seen a stick go bad w/out power hit (on a UPS, myself).

I thank you sir.

Off to see if she is stable with 4GB of RAM on TF2... ?

Last edited by the86d; 09-05-2019 at 7:47 PM..
Old 09-05-2019, 7:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

wow. I didn't even know there was a technology & internet forum!

then all the computer resuscitation techniques here... I've learned enough for the next month.

thanks for edifying, guys!
Old 09-05-2019, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

12 years is a good run.

I've found re-seating ram and sometimes the cpu, vid/sound cards would bring back full operation.
Some old boxes just had hosed ram. Swaped out with new old ram and off they'd go.
Same thing with the plastic molex plugs too.
I have about a dozen or so old boxes in the bone yard. There's an old Dell that has windows ME on it. It's a perfect candidate for Slacko

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-05-2019, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

AS...I...WAS...

Stable for about 5-20 minutes, and croaks.

Tried every combo of the 3 RAM sticks I have, and she just keeps locking up... It was a good run, Betsy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3f7PMESCQU
"...in the most prized position, just to the right of my feet...
'Till you're obsolete, parts pulled, left on the side of the street..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
12 years is a good run...
THAT is what I get for buying an MSI board...
ONLY 12 years of about daily use.

EDIT: OMG this dual-core 2gb RAM Linux box is horrible for even paying bills on the Chase web page. Login itself takes forever...

Last edited by the86d; 09-06-2019 at 3:47 AM..
Old 09-06-2019, 7:33 AM

Sounds like a bad voltage regulator on the mainboard. You get a stable voltage until it heats-up and then it's out of spec. The RAM operation was preventing it from running the POST, but the RAM isn't the failure point. Not enough electrons of the right flavor to make them turn on.

And Chase, I swear they are running bitcoin mining in JS on their site, it's dog slow on a fast system.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

A "gamer-kid" on my team convinced me to go with an i7, instead of the ~50% cheaper Ry,en equiv. Via a quick Skype chat session.
Old 09-07-2019, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Cortana virtually demands it...

OK, Master Chief
Old 09-07-2019, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
I swear they are running bitcoin mining in JS on their site, it's dog slow on a fast system.
What are they going to make mining on a 8-core Xeon CPU? Ten cents a day? Who would bother? You need about 50 GPUS.
Old 09-07-2019, 2:05 PM

It's a joke. Why would a bank wish to do that when they could just raise their CC interest rates a fraction of a point.

Chase has a badly designed site, and it was ironic to claim they mined coins off their users' sessions.

Pedantically yours,

Robotron
Old 09-07-2019, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
It's a joke. Why would a bank wish to do that when they could just raise their CC interest rates a fraction of a point.
Gotcha, but it had me wondering how many distributed processing hacks have been thought up to secretly mine in the background on a victim's PC. That wouldn't matter if you were getting a few cents a day from 10,000 infected PC's and undiscovered for a while.
Old 09-08-2019, 7:09 AM

Quote:
A "gamer-kid" on my team convinced me to go with an i7, instead of the ~50% cheaper Ry,en equiv. Via a quick Skype chat session.
Well, if gaming performance is important to you, he's right. Single thread performance and gaming the i7 and i9 is still king, even with half as many cores as the Ryzen 3000 chips.

However for all around performance and especially multicore intensive workloads, the Ryzen wins, no contest. I say this as an avid Intel supporter since the original Core2Duo chips dropped and I've had nothing but Intel chips since my old Athlon T-bird.

I do a lot of video encoding in Handbrake and I already know my next build will be a Ryzen 3950X because of the multicore performance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 5:40 PM

LOL, I love this thread. I just had to triage my circa 2008 Costco special. Phenom II 8 gig. A hand me down monitor stressed my pathetic passive vid card, so I threw in a card my BIL had laying around,but my old sound card was right up against the front fan, so I grabbed a PCI-E card so I could relocate it.. So now I'm consolidating/backing up my external HDD farm prior to reflecting my c drive onto an ssd. I think I can get 5 more years out of this rig.