Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-03-2019, 8:34 PM

Default Hoyt Ultra Tec

I've been purusing Craigslist over the past several months for a left handed compound bow. A little while ago this bow came up and I've thought about it, but not sure if it is worth picking up or not.
I'd be using it for practice and quite possibly bow hunting. Any thoughts on whether or not I should let it go.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/sp...969803012.html
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 PM

It is an older bow and you can do a lot better with only a a few hundred more dollars.

Do you know your draw length and does this bow match it?
40-50 pound draw weight is a little light but doable.
Might be better off with a 50-60 pound draw weight instead.
Personally, I would hold off.

I made the mistake of getting a bow from craigslist and didn't know squat about draw length or draw weight. If you are not familiar, go to a pro-shop or even Bass Pro Shops or Sportsmans Warehouse and talk to the people who do archery. They will set you up with a bow that will fit your body.

Jonas Blane Talking To Bob Brown, Season 1, Episode 1 of THE UNIT
Old 09-04-2019, 7:49 AM

My draw length is either 27.5 or 28. Before I started looking I went to the local shot and had it measured, but I'll probably have it checked again.
I was hoping to find a used bow and left handed ones are hard to come by. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM

IMO, buy a new bow from a reputable archery shop/dept. with experienced employees. You might have to order and wait (I'm right handed and I've done this for decades). This way you will get a lot of help from the shop. Again, IMO, I wouldn't buy a used bow.