Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-31-2019, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default Removing a FUBAR'd glock channel liner

Okay, so I suck at gun smithing. I recently got a Swenson G19 slide from Midway. Having watched a few videos, I go to install the slide parts kit.

I put together the firing pin assembly.

I install the firing pin channel liner, bevel side first, using the prescribed, purpose-built tool for it I also got from Midway.

I assemble the remainder of the slide parts. However, I notice that the firing pin doesn't want to protrude from the breech face. I depress the firing pin safety plunger, and gently push the firing pin forward, but it barely emerges from the breech face. On my stock G22, it protrudes nicely (1mm or so?)

So, I think maybe I didn't install something in the firing pin channel correctly.

I pull out the slide parts, leaving only the slide by itself, with the channel liner in it.

I take the firing pin assembly, slide it into the channel, and again try to push it forward, to see how far it will protrude from the breech face. Same result - it's sticking maybe 2 thousandths out, not enough to detonate a primer.

Okay, maybe the channel liner isn't seated properly. I take the tool, give a couple of light taps, but I can tell that the liner is in all the way.

So, now I think it is perhaps too long (dumb, I know, they're always the same length.) I use the threaded end of the tool, screw it in a little until it bites, and try to pull. No dice- it's stuck good! I put one of my steel punches through the hole in it, to give me some leverage, and pull again. SNAP! My steel punch is broken! Holy cow, now I'm getting mad.

Now I try putting the slide in my vise, with the channel liner tool firmly screwed into the plastic channel liner I'm trying to remove. I put a pipe wrench onto the tool, to give me leverage, and try pulling, while twisting clockwise to maybe get some more bite on the channel liner. This thing ain't budging.

Only now, the channel liner is deformed and chewed up inside the firing pin channel, and I'm no closer to getting it out.

Any suggestions? (Besides chucking it in the trash, self-flagellating, and praying 10 Hail Marys?)
Old 08-31-2019, 2:54 PM

People getting cerokote report that forgotten channel liners tend to fall out after being baked to cure the coating..
Old 08-31-2019, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
People getting cerokote report that forgotten channel liners tend to fall out after being baked to cure the coating..
I seriously thought "FIRE! KILL IT WITH FIRE!" But obviously I don't want a sticky, gooey mess that's even worse stuck in there.

However, do you think baking it in the oven for a bit should help? I'm honestly curious.
Old 08-31-2019, 3:05 PM

It was a couple years back I saw this doing research on cerokoting my Glock slide. It was a heads-up warning that their liner fell out after they forgot to remove before baking. I doubt that heating your slide to the temp to cure cerokote will be sufficient to melt the channel liner.

If you heat it, I'd not mess with it until the slide has cooled since the way this sounds - it's like the liner will shrink during cooling and "fall out" or at least may be a lot easier to extract afterwards.
Old 08-31-2019, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

What temp is used when Cerakoting?
Old 08-31-2019, 4:05 PM

5/16 lag bolt screw it in a few turns then pull the screw out
Old 09-01-2019, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't use heat use cold. Upside down computer cleaner in the FP slot then screw in the channel liner tool and remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 09-01-2019, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod19653.aspx

or

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod55175.aspx

Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

If you find yourself in Riverside I can try to help.
Old 09-01-2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy06 View Post
This... install another one and just see if the gun functions before ripping it all to pieces. I doubt yours was too long if you bought a glock part.
Old 09-01-2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy06 View Post

This is how I pulled my botched liner out last month. Though it took more than a few turns to get enough bite when pulling.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlHO1966 View Post
I doubt yours was too long if you bought a glock part.
LOL, Swenson slide. The el cheapo brand. Not a Glock part. Hardly matters if the liner is a Glock part at this point. Very possible the breech face is thicker than Glock, which means the firing pin will not protrude as much.

Serious question - who buys a Swenson Glock slide, and why?

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-03-2019 at 8:34 PM..
Old 09-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
LOL, Swenson slide. The el cheapo brand. Not a Glock part. Hardly matters if the liner is a Glock part at this point. Very possible the breach face is thicker than Glock, which means the firing pin will not protrude as much.

Serious question - who buys a Swenson Glock slide, and why?
Aaah... sorry missed that. I’m wondering why anyone buys anything other than glock factory parts?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
Okay, so I suck at gun smithing. I recently got a Swenson G19 slide from Midway. Having watched a few videos, I go to install the slide parts kit.

I put together the firing pin assembly.

I install the firing pin channel liner, bevel side first, using the prescribed, purpose-built tool for it I also got from Midway.

I assemble the remainder of the slide parts. However, I notice that the firing pin doesn't want to protrude from the breech face. I depress the firing pin safety plunger, and gently push the firing pin forward, but it barely emerges from the breech face. On my stock G22, it protrudes nicely (1mm or so?)

So, I think maybe I didn't install something in the firing pin channel correctly.

I pull out the slide parts, leaving only the slide by itself, with the channel liner in it.

I take the firing pin assembly, slide it into the channel, and again try to push it forward, to see how far it will protrude from the breech face. Same result - it's sticking maybe 2 thousandths out, not enough to detonate a primer.

Okay, maybe the channel liner isn't seated properly. I take the tool, give a couple of light taps, but I can tell that the liner is in all the way.

So, now I think it is perhaps too long (dumb, I know, they're always the same length.) I use the threaded end of the tool, screw it in a little until it bites, and try to pull. No dice- it's stuck good! I put one of my steel punches through the hole in it, to give me some leverage, and pull again. SNAP! My steel punch is broken! Holy cow, now I'm getting mad.

Now I try putting the slide in my vise, with the channel liner tool firmly screwed into the plastic channel liner I'm trying to remove. I put a pipe wrench onto the tool, to give me leverage, and try pulling, while twisting clockwise to maybe get some more bite on the channel liner. This thing ain't budging.

Only now, the channel liner is deformed and chewed up inside the firing pin channel, and I'm no closer to getting it out.

Any suggestions? (Besides chucking it in the trash, self-flagellating, and praying 10 Hail Marys?)
I bet I can get it out without damage to the slide.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-02-2019, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Got it out.

The steel punch through the hole didn't provide enough leverage, but a pair of vise grip pliers did.

Breech face is indeed thicker than OEM glock part. The same exact firing pin in my G22 slide protruded as it is supposed to.

Live and learn, I guess.
Old 09-03-2019, 2:55 PM

" I put a pipe wrench onto the tool, to give me leverage."

When working on my pistol, if I find myself with a pipe wrench or lit torch in hand, my wife is instructed to knock me out with a two by four.

Seriously, glad you solved the puzzle. Factory Glock parts are the way to go and not that expensive in the end.

PS -- I also have Randall's phone number tattooed on that two by four. LOL
Old 09-03-2019, 10:02 PM

After you get the liner out; disassemble the striker assembly and send the striker, by itself, into the channel (before you try to install a new liner). This is to make sure that the striker actually fits into the channel, with full protrusion at the breech face. It should move freely.

I've heard all kinds of problems with Swensen slides and it wouldn't surprise me if the channel wasn't machined to the correct width. Or perhaps the hole for the firing pin at the breech face is not on center to the channel itself . . . (?).