Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 9:51 AM

Default Carrying on bike in other states

I have a CA CCW and about to do a cycling trip through Nevada, Utah and Arizona. Want to take a pistol and there is no time to get additional CCWs for reciprocity in those states, leaving in a couple of weeks.

I am contemplating keeping my pistol in a soft case, locked, in my handlebar bag during the day while cycling. Not ideal for quick access in a true emergency but better than nothing.

At night, I am planning on bringing my pistol
into my tent, in condition 0.

Finally, since my CA CCW is not valid in those other states anyway, am thinking of bringing a pistol not on my CCW. I have an ideal pistol for bike touring (for another discussion).

How am I on legal grounds with this plan? Is my pistol legal to be carried this way in those states without a CCW (locked in a soft case)? When I am in my tent at night, is this considered my domicile in the eyes of the law and doesnít require a CCW? And finally, my choice of a pistol, any pistol, shouldnít matter, correct? Iím thinking these are free states anyway. Any opinions or input is welcome. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 9:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can carry in most of AZ without a permit. We learned at the Utah CCW class that a gun isn’t considered loaded unless there’s one in the chamber so technically if you’re carrying Israeli style, it may be fine. Something to doublecheck on though, as with everything you read here. Not sure what options you have for Nevada.

Oh - and whatever you bring, don’t forget that you can’t legally bring back a 10+ mag.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
I have a CA CCW and about to do a cycling trip through Nevada, Utah and Arizona. Want to take a pistol and there is no time to get additional CCWs for reciprocity in those states, leaving in a couple of weeks.

I am contemplating keeping my pistol in a soft case, locked, in my handlebar bag during the day while cycling. Not ideal for quick access in a true emergency but better than nothing.

At night, I am planning on bringing my pistol
into my tent, in condition 0.

Finally, since my CA CCW is not valid in those other states anyway, am thinking of bringing a pistol not on my CCW. I have an ideal pistol for bike touring (for another discussion).

How am I on legal grounds with this plan? Is my pistol legal to be carried this way in those states without a CCW (locked in a soft case)? When I am in my tent at night, is this considered my domicile in the eyes of the law and doesnít require a CCW? And finally, my choice of a pistol, any pistol, shouldnít matter, correct? Iím thinking these are free states anyway. Any opinions or input is welcome. Thanks

Tent, you donít need a CCW and can have it loaded. NV is the only one that doesnít have reciprocity with CA CCW. The others do so itís a non issue.

Someone said to apply for the AZ permit. Itís about a 10-15 day turnaround and will give you reciprocity in NV.

Out of state, you can carry firearms not listed on the permit. Though Iíd personally carry one on my permit. With an AZ permit, carry what you like.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 AM
retired Goon

Unloaded and in a locked container is legal for transporting in CA, AZ, NV, and UT.

Arizona...

Constitutional carry is legal in AZ.
So, it is legal to open carry or conceal carry without needing a valid carry permit.

However, constitutional carry is not valid on Tribal lands/reservations in AZ.
Need to check each Tribal government to see if they will honor the AZ CCW permit. (some will, most will not)

Nevada...

Open carry is legal in NV.
So, it is legal to open carry without needing a valid carry permit.

It is illegal to conceal carry in NV unless you have a valid carry permit.
NV Courts have determined this also includes a person inside their own residence or temporary residence and that "concealed upon your person" also means having a handgun in a portable container (unloaded handgun in locked container is exempt).

Need to check with each Tribal government to see if they honor NV open carry and/or NV CCW permits. (some will, some will not)

Utah...

It is legal to open carry an "unloaded" handgun without having a valid carry permit.
^"unloaded" means it requires two distinct actions to discharge the firearm.
~Such as... Action #1, rack slide to chamber a cartridge. Action #2, pull trigger to discharge the firearm.

It is only legal to open carry a loaded handgun when you have a valid carry permit.

You need a valid carry permit, in order to legally carry in a State park.

Recommendations...

Get an AZ CCW permit.
^Both, NV and UT honors it.
Takes about 2 weeks to get one. (from mailing the application to receiving it in the mail).
Since you have a valid CA CCW permit, you have already completed the AZ training requirement. (photocopy your CA CCW permit and include it with your application)
Hardest part of obtaining an AZ CCW permit, is getting the fingerprint cards done.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-18-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Old 08-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Great info, thanks all

Old 08-19-2019, 8:53 AM

If you have a California permit, both Utah and Arizona honor your California permit. Arizona does not even require a permit and Utah honors permits from every state. The only state where you will not be able to travel on this trip is Nevada. Consider getting a Utah and Arizona permit to help with traveling.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900