Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-17-2019, 6:25 AM

Default Old Barrel

I have this old pistol barrel that hasn't been cleaned in at least 20 years. I tried to clean it with Hoppes and the patches kept coming out blue no matter how many patches I ran through it. Would it be a good idea to soak it in Hoppes for a day?
Old 08-17-2019, 6:49 AM

use butch's bore shine, no need to soak it for a day, use patches

If you have hoppes, mix that with Kroil and use patches.

hoppes is mild, you can leave a wet patch in the bore for 2 hrs then push it out
Old 08-17-2019, 9:15 AM

Blue is generally copper residue. The fastest way to get rid of it would be to get some cleaner specifically made to remove copper--most brands of gun solvents will have a variant made specifically to remove copper. Follow directions.
Old 08-17-2019, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4tNinja View Post
I have this old pistol barrel that hasn't been cleaned in at least 20 years. I tried to clean it with Hoppes and the patches kept coming out blue no matter how many patches I ran through it. Would it be a good idea to soak it in Hoppes for a day?
Are you using a bronze or brass brush with copper remover solvent?
If so, the brush can also turn the patch color due to the solvent leaching the copper out of the brush material.

Try using only a stainless or plastic or nickel plated jag and patches to wipe the bore with cleaner and then wipe the bore clean after the soak.
If you still get blue using a non-copper cleaning implement, then you still have copper in the bore.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-24-2019, 7:22 AM

Quote:
I have this old pistol barrel that hasn't been cleaned in at least 20 years.
Now what you need to find is an old guy or a rookie with an old book, complete with warnings.

F. Guffey
Old 09-24-2019, 8:14 AM

Hmmm, must be a slow day where no one is mentioning headspace, shoulder bump, or neck tension....
Old 09-24-2019, 8:42 AM

I've had good luck with kroil and jb paste for removing copper and lead out of abused bores. As Smoothy8500 mentioned, once it is thoroughly cleaned, I would get a gunsmith to make a chamber casting to make sure you are still in spec.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Looking back at the original post, if you only have Hoppe's, yes, a soak would probably help.
Or, \/

https://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Copper
Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, must be a slow day where no one is mentioning headspace, shoulder bump, or neck tension....
If you do not drink do not start; if you do, stop, I believe you are silly enough sober.

F. Guffey
Old 09-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Looking back at the original post, if you only have Hoppe's, yes, a soak would probably help.
Or, \/
Pofoo, Thanks for the link. I have an old reloading manual that goes back to the early 50s that covers hard to remove stuff in a barrel. About 110 years ago we had streaker bullets, the bullets caused a problem with build up in the barrel. They had to mix up some special stuff to remove.

Had it not been for your link I would not have thought of it. (place a 'roll your eyes' here)

F. Guffey

Last edited by fguffey; 09-24-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 4:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4tNinja View Post
A bottle of sweets 762 bore cleaner. Do not soak the barrel longer than the 15 minutes recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited by kcstott; 09-26-2019 at 3:13 AM..