Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Turner’s Outdoor Specials -- Aren’t

I have had two bad experiences with Turner’s this month. Their “supplies are limited” specials seem to be REALLY limited when you get there. Not bashing them, just sharing.
Yesterday I got a “Discount Club Special” email at 10am. It had a $700 rifle that is on my hit list. Quick shower, 35 minute drive, arrived at noon, grabbed a number. Waited the usual 30 minutes to get served. I’ll take it!. “Sorry sir, no stock. There is a scratched demo in Temecula with a deep scratch, if you want it at that price.”
Hmmm. I think I get it. Second Turner’s Special sale this month with no stock when I get there. Can I get a rain check at the special price? After all, you advertised an item and then did not have enough stock to cover the demand 3 hours into the sale. Answer – “We don’t do that.”
Contrast this to online purchases. No shower. No driving. No requisite 30-minute wait for service. No huge out-of-stock disappointment. Arrives at the FFL new-in-box in about 5-days.
Moral to the story is: Don’t run “specials” that will disappoint your loyal customers and drive them to try your competitor. I just placed my first online gun order from Bud’s Gun Shop and saved $50 compared to the Turners “special” price. After getting wife approval and mentally owning a new rifle, not going to accept Turner's out-of-stock disappointment, or own a new rifle with a “deep scratch”.

Last edited by DueceMcGurk; 08-30-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-30-2018, 11:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thats the problem with being that big, Even if they have 100 guns at special price, thats less than 3 available per store!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
I have had two bad experiences with Turner’s this month. Their “supplies are limited” specials seem to be REALLY limited when you get there. Not bashing them, just sharing.
Yesterday I got a “Discount Club Special” email at 10am. It had a $700 rifle that is on my hit list. Quick shower, 35 minute drive, arrived at noon, grabbed a number. Waited the usual 30 minutes to get served. I’ll take it!. “Sorry sir, no stock. There is a scratched demo in Temecula with a deep scratch, if you want it at that price.”
Hmmm. I think I get it. Second Turner’s Special sale this month with no stock when I get there. Can I get a rain check at the special price? After all, you advertised an item and then did not have enough stock to cover the demand 3 hours into the sale. Answer – “We don’t do that.”
Contrast this to online purchases. No shower. No driving. No requisite 30-minute wait for service. No huge out-of-stock disappointment. Arrives at the FFL new-in-box in about 5-days.
Moral to the story is: Don’t run “specials” that will disappoint your loyal customers and drive them to try your competitor. I just placed my first online gun order from Bud’s Gun Shop and saved $50 compared to the Turners “special” price. After getting wife approval and mentally owning a new rifle, not going to accept Turner's out-of-stock disappointment, or own a new rifle with a “deep scratch”.
As the next person stated we have 22 locations now and with 100 guns even then that's only a few at each location. Many times when we run specials we have customers waiting at the door. We offer items at specials prices when we are able to get them at such prices, those available at that price are typically not unlimited and in most instances we buy all that we can and still sell out within an hour of the doors opening. We unfortunately cant anticipate demand of any given item yet try to have as many available as possible for our customers. We appreciate you providing us with your feedback as we rely on your input to see where we can work on areas to better improve your experience in our stores.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill
Temecula | Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas
Fresno (NOW OPEN)
Modesto (NOW OPEN)
Roseville (NOW OPEN)
Stockton (NOW OPEN)
Santa Clarita (NOW OPEN)

28 Stores Located Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-30-2018, 5:55 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I have learned two things.

1. If I can't be "standing at the door", ignore the Turner's ad. (for example a 10 am email is an automatic no-go).

2. Bud's Gun Shop is a great alternative to Turner's for service, price and ease of purchase.

So much for going out of my way to support the LGS.
Old 08-30-2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Chris,

1. If I can't be "standing at the door", ignore the Turner's ad. (for example a 10 am email is an automatic no-go).

2. Bud's Gun Shop is a great alternative to Turner's for service, price and ease of purchase.

Perhaps a look in the mirror will identify the source of many of your problems. You got a reasonable reply from the Turner's Rep even after your flaming original post, yet you still are not satisfied as evidenced by your anemic follow up post.

Turners no doubt has some very happy customers that were able to get the specials. And think about why the line is 30 minutes at Turners...Ok, I will explain it. It's because Turner's has great prices, good supplies, and great sales, and people keep coming back for more because they like the place, it's staff, it's prices, and it's buying experience.

The Turner's tent at the Rahaagues Sports Shooting Fair this year was amazing. A lot of people got some amazing deals on guns, and others got great sales prices. People at the tent all seemed to be smiling and getting great service.

Turner's is also a big help to local causes related to the industry.

I've shopped and bought at Turners for years and the experience has been pretty good each time. I'll be back there again soon buying a new toy, and it will be nice to know the line will be one lookie loo shorter.
Old 08-31-2018, 4:39 PM

Jeeper,
Sounds like you missed the point.
Old 09-09-2018, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Chris,

I think the complaint isnt justified. Its like saying that a calgunner who lists a firearm for sale is wrong to sell it in two minutes, as frequently happens. What, he should have forced the crowd back until you had a chance to see if you wanted it or not? Do you think its fair that you jumped and bought the gun fast and everyone has a right to complain about it? Thats basically what you are saying. Further, Turners does its best to get 100 items and spread them out around the stores so everyone has a chance. What would be your complaint if all 100 went to my store and none to yours? Wouldnt you think its fair because all of us had a chance to buy? Further, no store is obligated to invest in say, 10,000 of the items to make sure every living person has a chance to accept or reject the item. On Black Fridays every year, Microcenter in Santa Ana offers $100 laptops and they tell people they only have 100 pieces. People camp out for two days to have a chance to get into the store to see it. You are saying everyone should wait for you, and that you will be getting up late, by the way. Its wacky, you know?

I dont bother with specials or deals like that. Guns are an expensive thing to do and I accept it. If by some crazy chance I happen into a deal, maybe id go for it, maybe not, but i'd count myself lucky and thats the end of it.

Turners has always treated me well. My store is Riverside-Corona and they are great there.

If you want to complain, direct some energy against Dick's for not standing up for the Constitution, for stabbing loyal customers in the back, for caving in to leftist insanity....praise and SUPPORT Turners for doing exactly the opposite, and pipe down about small crap that doesnt matter.
Old 10-07-2018, 7:40 PM

Charles, my concern about Turners promo practices is valid. I have purchased 4 firearms from them in the past 18 months and have a very good friend who works there. So I know how many they had when the promo began and how many were available at ALL their stores when I got there. Obviously I like Turners and only want them to succeed. Running promos with very small or no inventory (system-wide) is a sure way to alienate customers. In the end, customer loyalty dictates business success. Negative customer feedback isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes companies use it to better serve their customers. And thanks for all the sage advice.
Old 10-08-2018, 8:48 PM

turners does seem to have a supply issue - but in a capitalist nation, demand greater than supply is a good thing - they can sell off inventory they need to turn and they create lots of urgency to make sure customers don't wait around cuz they know supplies are limited
i get it - i've been disappointed a few times but when you get that one wish list gun at great deal, sometimes that's enough to make it ok to deal w/ the down side