Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-20-2019, 5:38 PM

Default First ever 'precision rifle' and left handed bolt gun

Being a lefty, I have never, not in my entire life, owned a bolt gun. I’ve shot lots and lots of them. Shot a few left handed ones. But I never found a LH bolt gun that I just ‘had to have’. Until recently.

Left handed denizens of a right handed world, as you know sometimes, using an item designed to be used left handed is in fact more difficult/frustrating to use than the standard version. Using, whatever it may be, as it was designed to be used, by the ninety percent of the world that’s right handed, is for many of us, all we know.

But recently, I had a, ‘unique opportunity’ present itself. This was not an opportunity that is likely to repeat itself any time again soon. I was going to pass. Then I saw this rifle. After seeing the photos, I spent as much of the next two days that I had to consider this offer, reading everything I could about the rifle. I’d considered JP AR’s way back when. But, upon seeing this and doing two days of reading and thinking, I ‘had to’ have this rifle.

This left handed bolt gun cost me nothing but transfer, DROS and other BS fees.

Pretty happy with this decision. I only had a few minutes to actually handle it at my FFL while ‘jailing’ it. But now, with the glass on it, and the bipod, having had a couple of hours to really handle this rifle, very(!) pleased with this. The weight, even with the glass is so compact and close to the borderline of the weapon that is is amazingly easy to handle. Totally happy with this.

foto_no_exif.jpg

As I’ve gotten older and more grey than anything else, Ive been considering the idea of taking up LR shooting, PRS, NRL or something like that. I’d never seen myself as ‘that guy’ though until recently. I’d actually spent some time spec’ing a chassis rifle in a couple of different price ranges this last few months.

Having been a tactical shooter, I’d never seen myself taking up LR shooting. But as time goes on, I have come to understand, just a little of LR shooting. It is, like many other such physical disciplines’ golf, yoga, martial arts, tai-chi, in that it is something of physical meditation. It involves movement, breath, balance, and in general, a level of physical self awareness that very few Americans ever achieve. It s a ritual of sorts.

I’d been working toward stepping out of the world of strictly ‘tactical’ shooting and taking up LR shooting. It is a definite change of mindset. It is an also, an entirely different training doctrine.

Well, then, this ‘opportunity’ presented itself. I was not really going to do this. Then I went and looked at this particular rifle. It was a ‘moment of design geek’ ecstasy. As soon as I was informed ‘they make a LH version’. I had(!) to have this rifle.

foto_no_exif-1.jpg

Despite that design geek visceral reaction, I was not entirely sure about this decision. That was until, during the process of ‘jailing’ it, I was actually able to handle this weapon. This is, simply put, superior design work that resulted in a, no other word for it, elegantly designed chassis and firearm. The minute I picked this up and shouldered it, it was, what I call, an ‘oh yes’ moment.

I have several things/products that I own that I see as being simply superior quality design. I love using these objects. Whatever they are they make any task easier/more enjoyable. I would add this rifle to that short list/collection.

I’ve alway liked LWRC handguards. They’re round, very compact in diameter and therefore easy to grip. When you grip them, because you are really close to the ‘centerline’ of the bore of the weapon, you have excellent muzzle control. I/you can drive them from target to target quickly an accurately. For a tactical shooter, this is paramount. I’ve always liked LWRC AR’s, because of this. This is my ‘design uber alles’ OCD two bits. Well this JP Mk3 handguard is very much like those.

JP-MR-19_8 OClock High-Sans EXIF.jpg

Driving a rifle target to target is not important with a precision, LR rifle. But, maintaining, as much control as physically possible in a ‘free recoil’ situation, when trying to ‘build a position’, is, really freakin’ important. As I set this up, I'll still try and set the 'length of pull' as short as I reasonable can for this exact reason.

Without the glass, and bipod, it was amazing low light this rifle is.

It’s a 6.5 Creedmoor. New caliber for me.

Not shot this yet. But I am very happy with my first and only bolt gun. Cannot wait to go shoot thins. Maybe tomorrow?

Last edited by sfarchitect; 09-20-2019 at 6:41 PM..
Old 09-21-2019, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats!

Let us know how it shoots. Get some Lapua SR brass, Berger 140gr hybrids, H4350 and handload some ammo for it. That is the only way to do the gun justice from an accuracy standpoint.

Looks like a 3 lug action, so the short throw should be nice.
Old 09-21-2019, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I get it now. You have “left-handed anger.” My stepdad and older brother had the same.
Old 09-21-2019, 7:06 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
My stepdad and older brother had the same.

They were leftists too?

Oh, look at the time. And my manners! Goodness gracious.

Please, carry on.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-21-2019, 7:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
They were leftists too?

Oh, look at the time. And my manners! Goodness gracious.

Please, carry on.
It was a running joke growing up, the two people in the house who were left handed were also the most emotionally unstable. Much the same as racist jokes, I suppose.

I didn’t mean no harm by it.
Old 09-21-2019, 8:39 PM

you keep saying it's light but never mention numbers. What's the total weight?

also what's the scope? I don't recognize it.

overall, nice rifle!
Old 09-22-2019, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.park View Post
also what's the scope? I don't recognize it.
Looks like an IOR Valdada. Rex Reviews talks about them, but they don't have much of a presence anywhere else in the PRS or F-class shooting community. Not many vendors carry them so they are not that common.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:00 AM

congratulations...can't wait to hear more about how it shoots.

i think you'll love the 6.5 CM....great caliber, accurate, forgiving recoil, readily available and good barrel life, what's not to love.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Good afternoon gentlemen. The 'left handed anger' comment seriously cracked me up. I got a full on laugh about that.

As far as the weight, sorry, I have no scale. So I cannot proved that information. But it is a lot lighter without the glass which is, with one piece mount a bit over three pounds itself.

I simply 'HAD' to take this to the range yesterday and shoot it.

foto_no_exif.jpg

I only put twenty rounds down the barrel. Got it zeroed for 100 yards. But thus far, I totally love this rifle. The recoil is surprisingly light. This is seriously a 'tack-driver'. It is a three lug bolt. So yes a sixty degree throw. Not as short as the four lug Randgemaster Precision four lug action I had been considering with its forty five degree throw. I had been running through lots of scenarios spec'ing a chassis rifle for some while prior to this 'opportunity' presenting itself. This not only hit my 'design nerd' button but this is also in keeping with my 'buy a complete rifle from one vendor' rule of thumb. If it ever breaks, there is one phone call to make.

Again, this is rifle is just 'design geek' heaven for me. The simple functional elegance and efficiency of the design of this rifle really impresses me. The chassis folds over the bolt to the left side as well. So I can fit it into my 'stealth', lockable so legally compliant, guitar shaped case for moving about on transit.

A bolt rifle is just a real novelty for me. It'll take me a long while to become inured to the sheer fun/joy of shooting a bolt gun. As I said, never actually owned a bolt gun before.

I probably shouldn't have shot it from the bench first. I should've shot it from prone and set up the rifle that way. But I was on transit and moving the shooting matt along with the rifle and ammo becomes a real chore. Next time.

The glass came off of the 'derringer' as I call it, the 338 LM. It is an IOR Recon 4-28. I was in the hi-end audio business from some years in another lifetime. That taught me the importance of 'throughput'. But I love the clarity, range of adjustment and ruggedness of this scope and its 40mm main tube. Very happy with that purchase. And yes, I did absolutely violate my 'buy American' mantra in buying that scope. That glass will be being shared between those two long guns for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 09-22-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 11:29 AM

I bought a hundred round of factory Hornady 140Gr ALD-M's to get started.

But I already have my components to start developing a load. I have Lapua small primer brass, Federal 205M primers, Hodgdon H4350 powder and three hundred of the Hornady 135 Gr A-tips to start with. GTG.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, that's gorgeous! Congrats!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Thank you! Will post target photo(s) next outing. October 20th if not sooner.
Old 09-24-2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
Good afternoon gentlemen. The 'left handed anger' comment seriously cracked me up. I got a full on laugh about that.

As far as the weight, sorry, I have no scale. So I cannot proved that information. But it is a lot lighter without the glass which is, with one piece mount a bit over three pounds itself.

I simply 'HAD' to take this to the range yesterday and shoot it.

Attachment 836828

I only put twenty rounds down the barrel. Got it zeroed for 100 yards. But thus far, I totally love this rifle. The recoil is surprisingly light. This is seriously a 'tack-driver'. It is a three lug bolt. So yes a sixty degree throw. Not as short as the four lug Randgemaster Precision four lug action I had been considering with its forty five degree throw. I had been running through lots of scenarios spec'ing a chassis rifle for some while prior to this 'opportunity' presenting itself. This not only hit my 'design nerd' button but this is also in keeping with my 'buy a complete rifle from one vendor' rule of thumb. If it ever breaks, there is one phone call to make.

Again, this is rifle is just 'design geek' heaven for me. The simple functional elegance and efficiency of the design of this rifle really impresses me. The chassis folds over the bolt to the left side as well. So I can fit it into my 'stealth', lockable so legally compliant, guitar shaped case for moving about on transit.

A bolt rifle is just a real novelty for me. It'll take me a long while to become inured to the sheer fun/joy of shooting a bolt gun. As I said, never actually owned a bolt gun before.

I probably shouldn't have shot it from the bench first. I should've shot it from prone and set up the rifle that way. But I was on transit and moving the shooting matt along with the rifle and ammo becomes a real chore. Next time.

The glass came off of the 'derringer' as I call it, the 338 LM. It is an IOR Recon 4-28. I was in the hi-end audio business from some years in another lifetime. That taught me the importance of 'throughput'. But I love the clarity, range of adjustment and ruggedness of this scope and its 40mm main tube. Very happy with that purchase. And yes, I did absolutely violate my 'buy American' mantra in buying that scope. That glass will be being shared between those two long guns for the foreseeable future.
JP Enterprises makes some nice rifles, and IOR Valdada scopes are very good from what I've read. Not surprised that you are pleased with both. They should do great. Looking forward to hearing more about them. Got a leftie in our family, too; it's good to se that there are some high quality choices out there for them. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you got a discount for buying a rifle with the bolt on the wrong side.

You want to shoot LR? Well, bring lots of money.
Old 10-06-2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post

Why....are range fees that expensive?
Old 10-06-2019, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I hope you got a discount for buying a rifle with the bolt on the wrong side.

If you can make it up to Cuyama on a match weekend, we shoot the matches on Saturday and Sunday morning but you can shoot the rest of the weekend for a $5 target fee. We have steel and paper targets out to 1,000 yards.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 10-06-2019, 7:06 PM

Hi Smoothy, How are you doing sir?

Hello Fjold, I appreciate the invite. Kind of you to offer. But I'm in San Francisco. So that would be a long drive.

That said, I am headed to Eastern New Mexico for another LR training in February. Hambam, shooting this LR for a weekend is way(!) cheaper than doing the same training with my 338LM gas gun.

shooting steel, and hearing that visceral 'ping' sound is somehow, infinitely more gratifying than simply shooting paper. Maybe it's just me?

Last edited by sfarchitect; 10-06-2019 at 7:12 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Range fee inexpensive, gasoline & motel aren't cheap anymore.
Old 10-07-2019, 5:46 AM

FYI NorCal Precision puts on their "Intro to Long Range" class usually around April. A bit of a drive for some people.

https://ncpprc.com/long-range-clinic/

https://ncpprc.com/calendar/

sfarchitect, did you go last year?

Last edited by smoothy8500; 10-07-2019 at 5:59 AM..
Old 10-07-2019, 1:31 PM

Hi Smoothy,

Not last year, no sir. I did go the year before that when it was still a two day, mid range, first day, and then long range clinic. I shot the AR w/ the 77Gr rounds on the first, mid range 300-650 yard, day. The second day I got to, if memory serves, the second course of fire and then got a live round caught in the chamber of my 338LM gas gun. That, was frustrating.

I wrote an entire, hopefully entertaining, thread about using a 5/16" brass rod and progressively heavier hammers to pound that live round out of the chamber.

Last year I tried to register for that again. But it filled up in less than three minutes. It was an exercise in, he who had the most bandwidth got enrolled. Those that didn't, didn't.

Work/PTO dependant, I may try again this year. I also went to a LR training, also out at the 1000 yard range at Sac Valley that, maybe it was you in fact, recommended to me. This was put on by LMS Defense. The instructor, you or someone here on CG recommended to me in another thread, last name of Flowers, taught.

That guy was freakin amazing. This has happened to me many times in my life. You start asking someone questions and it rapidly becomes apparent that this person has forgotten more about this s**t than I currently know. Regardless of whether it was you, or someone else, I am very thankful to the CG subject matter experts for that recommendation.

I'm a tactical shooter. So this whole zen ritual that is LR shooting, I really just learning. At one point during this class, the instructor, (last name) Flowers, gets down behind my 338LM gas gun and fires two shots. We get out to the targets, and those two shots he fired, are touching! Nearly, half overlapping in fact! At a thousand yards. This 'A' kind of blew my mind (Where's the exploding head emoji when I need it?) and 'B' kind of inspired me. The freakin' weapon, quirky or not, is capable. I just need to learn to drive it.

But this is a better, and much cheaper to shoot, tool for that task however.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 10-07-2019 at 1:47 PM..
Old 10-07-2019, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
FYI NorCal Precision puts on their "Intro to Long Range" class usually around April. A bit of a drive for some people.

https://ncpprc.com/long-range-clinic/

https://ncpprc.com/calendar/

sfarchitect, did you go last year?
75 bucks on gasoline and two-hundred a night motel for two nights, range fee and restaurant grub tips the scale
at 5 bones, and that doesn't include one red cent for ammo assuming you start with a capable rifle.

How is that for, "A bit if a drive for some people."
Old 10-07-2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
75 bucks on gasoline and two-hundred a night motel for two nights, range fee and restaurant grub tips the scale
at 5 bones, and that doesn't include one red cent for ammo assuming you start with a capable rifle.

How is that for, "A bit if a drive for some people."
that's about normal if you want to shoot long range

most of the sac valley guys drive out to Reno & Arizona at least 4-5 times a year
Old 10-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

I know fellow rifle shooters are not made of money. And I am truly glad for them
to have the money to spend on shooting. I am just not financially there, yet.