Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default TTSX and crumpled cases

Ruined 3 out of 6 cases .264 lbc and then lubed bullets to fix. Anyone experience this with copper? Once I lubed them they seated fine. 100 grain TTSX. Probably just the case taper?

Need to purchase a puller to salvage what I can. Expensive lil pills.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Loaded 30 rounds of .300 Win Mag this morning and no sign of the problem your having. I don't recommend using any lube on the jacketed bullets or on the inside of the case neck. It sounds like another problem if you crushing the case when you seat the bullet. Is your die set back far enough to not engage the crimp ring inside of the die?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Loaded 30 rounds of .300 Win Mag this morning and no sign of the problem your having. I don't recommend using any lube on the jacketed bullets or on the inside of the case neck. It sounds like another problem if you crushing the case when you seat the bullet. Is your die set back far enough to not engage the crimp ring inside of the die?
Ya, it was seating the first few fine then serious resistance. I ran em through the ball again to make sure I have it open correctly. Just serious tension when seating. Even had some small shavings on the side of two bullets. So I backed it way out and started over using a factory round for the settings and it's still doing it.

I've never encountered this before out of 22 die sets and lead projectiles. Maybe more of a chamfer to case mouth.

Last edited by AGGRO; 09-15-2019 at 1:00 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 1:03 PM

Another thing, are the cases trimmed to length? have these cases been shot a lot? mike the necks and find out how thick they are. If they are to thick you should turn them down. You need good neck tension to help start pressure but not that much. Yes chamfer them if they need it, if they are work hardened maybe anneal.
Old 09-15-2019, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure you have a good chamfer on the inside case mouth. Also, when seating the bullet go down into the case mouth in slow, short increments and see if that helps.
Old 09-15-2019, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

These are once fired hornady, full resized and didn't need trim. I'll run the chamfer over them again. Thanks for ideas fellas.
Old 09-15-2019, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

That should do it.
Old 09-15-2019, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes chamfer and do not crimp. I have zero problem with my 264 doing this. I also use Hornady brass with my 257W and 338win mag and possibly others without problems.
Old 09-15-2019, 9:59 PM

Not trying to be a wise guy here but thought I would ask.

Do you have the correct diameter bullets?
Old 09-16-2019, 2:05 AM

How are you cleaning your cases - dry tumbling with corn or walnut media or ultrasonic?
Dry media cleaning leaves a thin film of dust on the cases and this seems to act like neck lube when seating copper bullets.
Old 09-16-2019, 4:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawadc95 View Post
Not trying to be a wise guy here but thought I would ask.

Do you have the correct diameter bullets?
Really? This isn't .30 where I also have shelved .313, .308, .311 etc.

No I slug all bores where I am suspect.

Last edited by AGGRO; 09-16-2019 at 4:06 AM..
Old 09-16-2019, 4:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
How are you cleaning your cases - dry tumbling with corn or walnut media or ultrasonic?
Dry media cleaning leaves a thin film of dust on the cases and this seems to act like neck lube when seating copper bullets.

Ya Walnut media. I believe a really aggressive chamfer is doing the trick. I've never had this happen before out of thirty plus years reloading that wasn't something obvious.
Old 09-16-2019, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Copper? Maybe bug ya for a start recipe if you are using 165 grainers?
Old 09-16-2019, 6:33 PM

Yes Barns TTSX 165 gr BT in my Rem. 700 .300 Win Mag. my rifle is set up for elk and deer hunting. I decided on 72 gr. of IMR 4831 with a Fed. GM 215 M primer bullets seated at 3.330 if I remember correct. Works well enough in my rifle but you might want to work it up to this for yours. My load is out of the Barns reloading book. I have yet to run this over the chrony and see what it is really doing but I zeroed this load in my rifle 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards, should kill a elk out to 100 yards or so. I have 2 elk tags this year and one deer tag so maybe we will get to see this load in action if I don't have my 30-30 or something else in my hand when I jump a cow in the timber or tall sage/willows. Good luck working up your load for me it's always more fun to work loads than pack meat. By the way my .300 is primarily a open country rifle, I hunt other stuff with lots of other rifles timber, willows and tall thick sagebrush is the most fun for me so that's what I do most of the time. Short range shots are what I make most of the time 50,60 or 100 yards is where I kill most game. I'm rambling.
Old 09-16-2019, 7:51 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I use 168 TTSX for my 300 WinMag. CCI Mag primers and 71.6g of RL17 puts them at 3200fps out of my X-Bolt. Very accurate. Looking at my dope card now, I'm 1" high at 100, 0" at 150, 8.5" low at 300 yards. I took an elk just a couple weeks ago at 365 yards, lights out mid-step with a pass through. The Kudu was around 250 yards and same thing, dropped like a rock.

It's hard on the brass, but harder on the animals. Recoil is no worse than any other 300WM load. I'm so happy with the load over the last 2 years, I'm likely going to have a scope with custom turrets made for it.

I've taken everything from jackrabbits to Kudu, big boar, and Roosevelt elk with it, and not a single critter has gone more than 20 yards. Most dropped in their tracks.
Old 09-17-2019, 3:49 AM

OP, glad it was a simple fix with the strong chamfer!
Happy Hunting!
Old 09-19-2019, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes Barns TTSX 165 gr BT in my Rem. 700 .300 Win Mag. my rifle is set up for elk and deer hunting. I decided on 72 gr. of IMR 4831 with a Fed. GM 215 M primer bullets seated at 3.330 if I remember correct. Works well enough in my rifle but you might want to work it up to this for yours. My load is out of the Barns reloading book. I have yet to run this over the chrony and see what it is really doing but I zeroed this load in my rifle 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards, should kill a elk out to 100 yards or so. I have 2 elk tags this year and one deer tag so maybe we will get to see this load in action if I don't have my 30-30 or something else in my hand when I jump a cow in the timber or tall sage/willows. Good luck working up your load for me it's always more fun to work loads than pack meat. By the way my .300 is primarily a open country rifle, I hunt other stuff with lots of other rifles timber, willows and tall thick sagebrush is the most fun for me so that's what I do most of the time. Short range shots are what I make most of the time 50,60 or 100 yards is where I kill most game. I'm rambling.
Looks like max load is 75 grains 4831 so I'll start at 72 and go up from there. She tends to get better accuracy with loads a bit hotter. Plus, we usually get some pretty long canyon shots here.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle