Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 PM

Default Poway Weapons and Gear Shop / Range review

Nothing has been posted about this range in about 5 years, so I figured I'd post my experience. The previous reviews weren't super good, so I was a little skeptical, but the range and store turned out to be pretty nice.

I finally got my 10/22 to where 25 yard ranges just weren't worth it anymore. Have been putting all my shots in a .5-1 inch square on a target at 25 yards. I wanted to try something with a little more distance indoor before going to an outdoor place. Reasons being: South Bay Rod & Gun is 50 minutes away and closes early. The only other option is P2K, but their 100 yard range is locked at 100 yards and I wanted to shoot a pistol for a bit then step out to 50, 75 and 100 yards. This just left PW&G.

Got to the range around 8pm on Wednesday night. The guy at the check in counter was friendly and managed to help a couple customers and answer the phone without it taking forever. I had done the waivers and safety training online, so it took 3-5 minutes to get all checked in.

The range itself is pretty nice. General stuff: it's very clean, there are vending machines, the bathrooms were spotless. There were only 2 other shooters while I was there, so it wasn't crowded at all. Each lane has a cutout bench with wheels on it if you want to roll it out of the way to shoot a handgun or shoot off hand. The benches are pretty heavy and stable. Large enough to have a rifle with a bipod and a rear bag or shooting rest / rear bag.

The target carrier seems to be the same as every other range I've been to in SD lately, with a simple LCD touch screen with distance and return to home.

Took a few shots at 50 and 75 yards, got some good numbers on the scope and went out to 100 yards. At the 100 yard mark, each lane has a target camera set up, which is really nice because with a 4-14 scope, I could barely see the impacts at 75 yards, so 100 is out of the question.

I've heard a few others say that the dividers bounce the casings back, which seemed a little true. They feel like a rubber mat. I hate casing burns on my arms so I take separate sleeves so this wasn't really an issue. If you are sensitive, I suggest wearing long sleeves.

I shot for about an hour and 20 minutes... didn't get charged any extra and I'm pretty sure I could have stayed until they closed without being charged another hour. I doubt it would be that way if it was super crowded, but I'm not really big on crowded places so I probably wouldn't be there anyways.

Only negative thing I could say about the range is that there is zero sound deadening on the walls, so it it pretty loud. Guy next to me was shooting .308 and it sounded louder than usual, but not un-bearable with double ear pro on.

After finishing up, I checked out their gun selection. They have a lot of inventory in there. Their prices seemed on par with pretty much everywhere else. The people at the gun counter were actually extremely friendly and helpful. Honestly some of the best service I've had in San Diego. I would definitely shop there more often if I lived a little closer.

I'll probably end up going back to PW&G a few times. Will check out the shorter ranges someday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW&G Bench.jpg (86.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-29-2019, 5:34 AM

its a great range but it can get expensive. im really supprised they didn't charge you for the extra hour.

I was doing load dev there because its so much closer than south bay. 3/4 of the 100 yard lanes were occupied so there were open spots.

I shot for about 2.5 hours and my bill was about $90. They charge by the hour so 1 hour and 1 minute gets charged for another hour although sometimes they use discression.

They have a 25, 50 and 100 yard range. For the 25 and 50 you can pay a day fee if you're going to be there a few hours but they won't do that on the 100 yard range.

its a really nice place but spending $90 for a range day is crazy. South Bay us $125 for the year.

everything else about the range is amazing . new building, multiple ranges, clean, professional. Its a luxury range that's well thought out. All other indoor ranges feel outdated compared to this place.

its loud but that's how all indoor ranges are.

if I'm going to shoot pistol then theres closer places for me. I'd really only go for the rifle range but I can't spend $90 for a range day. Its probably great though if you're in and out in under an hour.

Last edited by SoCal326; 08-29-2019 at 5:41 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 7:33 AM

Anyone know their position on rifles that are non-CA compliant?
Old 08-29-2019, 8:00 AM

There's really no such thing as non-compliant. With two registration periods in the past, most any firearms in any configuration could be legal in CA. There's only registered and not-registered. I've never heard of PWG asking someone about a registration, they never ask me. PWG used to check all firearms brought in, to make sure they are unloaded before you go enter the range. They changed that rule, and they don't check anymore, switched it to "don't uncase weapons except up at the firing line". But their ROs aren't even in the bays 100% of the time. They roll through periodically but they seem to only bother with safety or range rule things. I've never heard of them being picky about configs etc. Last time I was there, I don't think any employee even saw my rifle. One time I was there, a guy with a belt-fed semi PKM (or RPD? I'm not all that with Soviet guns, and I didn't get up close) was blasting away and they didn't say anything. And this was pre-freedom week. Oh and their gunsmith does an awesome job on glock frame stippling.

Last edited by sbo80; 08-29-2019 at 8:03 AM.. Reason: .
Old 08-29-2019, 8:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
I shot for about 2.5 hours and my bill was about $90. its a really nice place but spending $90 for a range day is crazy. South Bay us $125 for the year.
$90 gets you a year at the Pala outdoor range out to 890 yards.
Old 08-29-2019, 8:50 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
Anyone know their position on rifles that are non-CA compliant?
They didn't even look at what I brought last time I was there.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
the Pala range charges $35 per day unless you're a member but the site says they aren't currently taking new members. They still charge members each time but they charge less. I think it was $20 last time i asked but its not listed on the site so i could be wrong.

I'd much rather shoot at Pala but I split my time between shooting steel at distance at Pala and shooting groups out to 300 at South Bay. you can still set up a stage at South Bay and shoot a few targets on each distance. You just have to make the targets small. It doesn't deal with wind and variation based on your ES but its cheaper.

no one really does any type of PRS practice at South Bay so you get some strange looks when you flip a stool upside down and shoot off one of the legs then stand and shoot off the table or whatever.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

$90 for a couple hours seems like a lot. But if you live near by, why not just take a Membership?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Quote:
the Pala range charges $35 per day unless you're a member but the site says they aren't currently taking new members. They still charge members each time but they charge less. I think it was $20 last time i asked but its not listed on the site so i could be wrong.

I'd much rather shoot at Pala but I split my time between shooting steel at distance at Pala and shooting groups out to 300 at South Bay. you can still set up a stage at South Bay and shoot a few targets on each distance. You just have to make the targets small. It doesn't deal with wind and variation based on your ES but its cheaper.

no one really does any type of PRS practice at South Bay so you get some strange looks when you flip a stool upside down and shoot off one of the legs then stand and shoot off the table or whatever.
I would honestly much rather shoot at an outdoor range also for the most part, but I wanted somewhere indoor and the hours at the outdoor places don't often align with my schedule.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
They didn't even look at what I brought last time I was there.
Perfect, thanks.
Old 09-01-2019, 5:47 PM

PM me if you want to shoot indoor at the 100yd range for free... I can bring guests with me free of charge.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiing View Post
PM me if you want to shoot indoor at the 100yd range for free... I can bring guests with me free of charge.
Thank you! Would love to go again sometime and try out some other ammo. I'll send you a PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
$90 for a couple hours seems like a lot. But if you live near by, why not just take a Membership?
I wouldn't go often enough to make it worth it. I'd use PWG for load dev when I cant get outdoors but it takes time and I cant justify spending that much.

When I've shot at the 100 yard range its had open spots. If they charged a flat rate during slow parts of the day I'd go but I just need more time.
Old 09-18-2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't go often enough to make it worth it. I'd use PWG for load dev when I cant get outdoors but it takes time and I cant justify spending that much.

When I've shot at the 100 yard range its had open spots. If they charged a flat rate during slow parts of the day I'd go but I just need more time.
I agree with SoCal326...

It's around $1000/year for a membership there. For me, that's just not going to happen. Membership for South Bay Rod & Gun 300 yd outdoor range is $100/yr and it's only around 10 minutes farther away. Only reason I'd go to PW&G in the future is if the weather is horrible or zeroing a new rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from their retail space though. They do have decent prices.