Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 PM

Default Barnes LRX, legal in california

I was looking at some compliant bullets on midway. usually they have a sentence stating the legality of the bullet, I didn't see anything for the LRX?

While on the topic, is it better just to use a little lighter TTSX than the LRX?

This is for .284 and 338.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 09-18-2019, 4:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

what you need to do is figure out your rifling pitch and get a non lead that will work with your rifling. Non lead bullets are longer and need faster twist rates.
Old 09-18-2019, 4:52 AM

The LRX line of bullets is on the CA list of approved non-lead bullets:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...D=82803&inline
Old 09-18-2019, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
what you need to do is figure out your rifling pitch and get a non lead that will work with your rifling. Non lead bullets are longer and need faster twist rates.
i have loaded non lead for several different rifles now, just hadn't heard much about the LRX projectile yet. curious if sticking with 145 TTSX over the 150 LRX in. 7 mag works better.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 09-18-2019, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins750 View Post
While on the topic, is it better just to use a little lighter TTSX than the LRX?

This is for .284 and 338.
Figure out how far out you're willing to shoot animals and hop over to jbmballistics.com and do the math.

I bought some 145 grain .284 LRX and some 110 .284 TTSX some time ago. I can push the LRX to about 2700 fps, and the TTSX to about 3200 fps. When I plug them both into the calculator I find that both are well within their velocity threshold at any range which I'm willing to shoot (~300 yards and in), the TTSX is +3/-3 out to 300 while the LRX drops more at 300, the LRX is less effected by wind but neither is so affected as to make much of a difference on game inside of 300 yards. As a bonus, the TTSX starts faster so game within about 150 yards has a better chance of getting smacked really hard by the TTSX compared to just having a big hole bored through it by the slower LRX.

Winner goes to TTSX for deer sized game. On something bigger where I wanted a better chance of penetrating through more meat and tissue and/or bigger bones I might reconsider the LRX.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Stick with TTSX. They shoot great out to distances unreasonable to kill animals (many many hundreds of yards, BC be darned, you don't need a VLD to shoot pie-plates well over 600 yards)

They are cheaper, and they are more stable in the product lifecycle. LRX kind of come and go, distribution is iffy, if you loose them, you are back to square 1 for load dev.

The 140 grain .284 isn't going anywhere anytime soon and is everywhere for a "reasonable" (by barnes standards) price.

no comment on 338. I chose the E-tip in 338 for cost reasons, rued it, then sold the rifle. I don't know if barnes would be any better.

Shot hundreds of those 140's tho.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

yes and yes to both questions
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

For 338, I bought some 200 grain E tip blems at a very good price. I needed an all copper bullet for my 338/06. I usually use the Barnes TTSX in four other rifles, but the price on the E tips was too good to pass up.

I tested loads with three or so powders and came to a load using IMR 4166. I was on my own for the data since there is no data out there for the 338/06 with the new Enderon powders. I tried IMR 4451, but got too much case fill.

The 4166 gave me 2740 FPS with no pressure signs and 1 MOA accuracy. Haven't taken it out yet for game, but that will be the load I use when I do.

I agree with others about going lighter than a lead core bullet to get higher velocity. I just bought some 140 TTSX to use in a 7MM Rem. Magnum.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins750 View Post
i have loaded non lead for several different rifles now, just hadn't heard much about the LRX projectile yet. curious if sticking with 145 TTSX over the 150 LRX in. 7 mag works better.
I don't know. that's something you need to figure out. you need to know bullet length and rifling twist rate. I have no idea what those are but you have specs and can figure it out.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Look on dfw website. If not approved then cannot use.
Old 09-18-2019, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

The TTSX or TSX bullet open at 1800FPS and The LRX open at 1600FPS. The LRX are usually heavier than the TTSX I would use so they are slower and need to open sooner on standard cartridges, The LRX shine in my 6.5X300W with 127gr LRX bullets. The nose of the LRX and TTSX look the same so I really doubt than a warden or anyone else could tell the difference on loaded ammo. They both are Ca legal
Old 09-18-2019, 4:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The 140 - 150 grain Barnes bullets will leave the 7 Mag at 3100 fps or better and won't slow down to less than 1800 fps until past 500 yards so either is a good choice.

I shoot the 140 grain TSX (I started shooting these before the TTSX or LRX were invented) at 3,200 fps and they have worked on deer/antelope sized game past 400 yards with no issues.

Shoot whichever of the 120 gr - 160 grain Barnes bullet is the most accurate in your gun.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 09-22-2019 at 6:18 PM..