Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-09-2019, 5:20 AM

Default Henry Long Ranger

Lever People,

Do not read this article! It will cost you money.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...-21st-century/
Old 09-09-2019, 5:41 AM
Calguns Addict

While personally I like this rifle because it's

1, lever,
2. it comes in cal. I like.

After a you tube video, (because I could not find the rifle anywhere) I now see it's just way to nosy, & must be briskly cycled or it jams up nicely.

As I wanted this for hunting, this will just not work out for my needs.

Other than that, I love it. but it's not for me for hunting, & that's what I wanted it for.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

You could go to the "Henry Rifle Forum" and read what they have to say regarding the LR. Seeing as I have two Henry's, I frequent that site.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:21 AM

I think they are nice. But they are really late to the game.

Browning BLR has been around for decades.
Savage 99 and Winchester 88 played in that niche too.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

That is true, no doubt. But, yee gads, that trigger on those 88's are dismal at best. Like the 'ol 99's tho.
Old 09-09-2019, 9:59 AM

Some years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a BLR in 223 a couple different times.

That was a lot of fun. It was accurate, handled nice. The Henry in 223 should be fun.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
That is true, no doubt. But, yee gads, that trigger on those 88's are dismal at best. Like the 'ol 99's tho.
I bought a Savage Model 99 brand new when I was in high school (back when high school aged kids could buy guns). I really liked the integral rotary magazine even if it could not be removed. The best thing about it was it allowed the bolt to slide to the rear without the drag of ammo as it would be if a spring loaded box magazine. .308 Winchester. Very easy to unload by opening the action and depressing the spring loaded ammo feed retainer (not sure what to call it) on the left side of the open action to free one round at a time. I sold it sometime later, never really warmed up to it.

I also inherited my Dad's Winchester Model 88 (also in .308) after he passed away in 1987. The action was odd to say the least, lot's of mechanical leveraging going on there that hindered a smooth operation + the nasty drag from the spring loaded box magazine. As you say, the trigger was horrible. Even though it had been in the family, I sold it on consignment and bought a Browning X-Bolt in .308 to replace it. Love the X-Bolt.

Dan
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM

I've got a friend who collects lever guns designed for spitzer bullets and he's got a few Winchester 95's including two Russian Contract, several Savage 99's, a couple BLRs...and he says his HLR is "best in class". He's got one in .308.

I fired one mag through it and didn't have any malfunctions, but I was forewarned not to short-stroke. We were at Burro Canyon, so with background noise and heavy duty ears on I can't say how loud the action was, but it was smooth and not gritty or jerky IMO. Free hand first time with the rifle standing I printed a three inch circle at 50 yards. That's all me, I bet that thing is 1 MOA at 100.
Old 09-10-2019, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Seems like a nice gun but really pricey. Seems like a BLR may be better route.
Old 09-10-2019, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Long Ranger got a nice write up in American Rifleman a couple of year back. It's a sub MOA rifle.

Yes, it's a bit pricey. Otherwise I'd have one.
Old 09-15-2019, 4:30 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
I've got a friend who collects lever guns designed for spitzer bullets and he's got a few Winchester 95's including two Russian Contract, several Savage 99's, a couple BLRs...and he says his HLR is "best in class". He's got one in .308.

The Russian contract guns in Russian caliber had lips for stripper clips. I don't think 95's in American calibers have the lips nor the clips. One site I read said the Ruskie soldiers all liked their Winchesters better than their Mosins....

Old 09-15-2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
The Russian contract guns in Russian caliber had lips for stripper clips. I don't think 95's in American calibers have the lips nor the clips. One site I read said the Ruskie soldiers all liked their Winchesters better than their Mosins....

His have the lips. One is beat all to hell and has seen action, came to him by way of a Spanish Civil War bring back. He bought it from a Lincoln Brigade vet.

The other is very nice. It was never delivered after the Russian Revolution and was sold on the US market. From what I understand the huge majority of those were re-chambered but he got one still in 7.62X54r. This is "Don't quote me, my best recollection of what he said".

I believe most of them were given to cavalry, since trying to operate a Mosin from horseback would just be comedy. They did actually use cavalry and dragoons a good bit on the Eastern Front in The Great War. Again, that's "things I heard".
Old 10-02-2019, 5:16 PM

The Long Ranger has interested me since being announced. I happened to score a nice Savage 99 in 308 so I never got around to picking one up.
One day maybe.