Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-29-2019, 4:49 PM

did he get a free pass?
Old 08-29-2019, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Clearly, the trigger works. Test passed!
Old 08-29-2019, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

This is what I heard from a person who's child is an RSO deputy and is familiar with the incident, so take it for what its worth:

The student who was shot had a firearm with a mag disconnect. The student handed the firearm over with the slide locked open and loaded mag (not very smart). The instructor inserted the mag (has to have a mag in it to test the trigger), dropped the slide, and pulled the trigger......

Last edited by cindynles; 08-29-2019 at 7:28 PM..
Old 08-29-2019, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
This is what I heard from a person who's child is an RSO deputy and is familiar with the incident, so take it for what its worth:

The student who was shot had a firearm with a mag disconnect. The student handed the firearm over with the slide locked open and loaded mag (not very smart). The instructor inserted the mag (has to have a mag in it to test the trigger), dropped the slide, and pulled the trigger......

Wow, what a freaking idiot instructor/deputy. Looks like they already passed 99% of the blame on the student regardless.
Old 08-29-2019, 8:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Fortunately it wasn't a fatality
Old 09-01-2019, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

So what is the purpose of the trigger test in the CCW class?
Old 09-01-2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
The incident happened during a CCW class. The trigger pull is tested for the lbs it takes to pull the trigger. Too light of a trigger is considered unsafe and they will not issue your CCW.
Good thing they do a trigger pull test. If his trigger was too light, someone could have accidentally been shot! Oh wait. Never mind.
Old 09-03-2019, 9:27 AM

From what I've been able to piece together this is what seems to have happened:

The student comes in with his handgun empty slide locked back for the instructor to check. The student had the magazines filled and in his pocket/bag ready for the range, not knowing they also needed a magazine in order to check the gun. The instructor requested a magazine for the gun so he could check the trigger since it has a mag disconnect. The student handed the magazine over as requested not knowing the reason he needed the magazine. The instructor inserted the magazine assuming it was empty and sent the slide forward and pointed the gun in an unsafe direction and fired.

Don't know how it's normally done at this facility but if there were instructions to give the instructor the handgun and a magazine ahead of time then the student should have had an empty mag ready with the unloaded handgun. Even then, the instructor should have checked the mag before inserting into the gun and had it pointed in a safe direction the whole time, especially if he planned on pulling the trigger.
Old 09-04-2019, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
From what I've been able to piece together this is what seems to have happened:

The student comes in with his handgun empty slide locked back for the instructor to check. The student had the magazines filled and in his pocket/bag ready for the range, not knowing they also needed a magazine in order to check the gun. The instructor requested a magazine for the gun so he could check the trigger since it has a mag disconnect. The student handed the magazine over as requested not knowing the reason he needed the magazine. The instructor inserted the magazine assuming it was empty and sent the slide forward and pointed the gun in an unsafe direction and fired.

Don't know how it's normally done at this facility but if there were instructions to give the instructor the handgun and a magazine ahead of time then the student should have had an empty mag ready with the unloaded handgun. Even then, the instructor should have checked the mag before inserting into the gun and had it pointed in a safe direction the whole time, especially if he planned on pulling the trigger.
So, neither the applicant nor the instructor could tell the difference between a loaded/unloaded mag?

As I posted before, a bunch of folks are losing their jobs. The applicant may be a dolt, but he isn’t the culpable or liable party, here.
Old 09-04-2019, 6:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
So what is the purpose of the trigger test in the CCW class?
They put a trigger gauge on every firearm in my first class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-04-2019, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

So would I be disqualified from CCW class if my trigger weight is too light?
Old 09-05-2019, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Yea, I think most people would consider anything under 4lbs to be too light for a CCW. Anything above 6lbs is considered too heavy for accurate shooting for the average person.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 09-08-2019, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Yea, I think most people would consider anything under 4lbs to be too light for a CCW. Anything above 6lbs is considered too heavy for accurate shooting for the average person.
But in this case they are not using a scale to measure the weight, just some dolts finger.

I have never had one of my ccw weapons inspected like this, they just write down the serial #.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 09-08-2019, 9:22 PM
CGSSA Leader

Student perhaps messed up.

Instructor perhaps messed up.

Difference is instructor is a professional and should know better. He should be fired and put in jail.

No one is above the law. He negligently shot a guy. Eff that guy...
Old 09-08-2019, 10:49 PM

How the heck do you not notice there's a round in the mag? That seems like a very obvious fundamental visual "inspection". And if there was a MD, was there an LCI as well?

Someone was simply not paying attention. The most important "safety feature" clearly malfunctioned...
Old 09-09-2019, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

So, this would be a good reason why government shouldnt be allowed to decide what arms are acceptable for self defense... beyond the 'it's none of their business'.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09-09-2019, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

You don’t get “disqualified”, but the gun might not be allowed to be listed on your qualifying handguns.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
So, this would be a good reason why government shouldnt be allowed to decide what arms are acceptable for self defense... beyond the 'it's none of their business'.
Alternatively, it proves that even a “Not Unsafe” firearm is still unacceptably dangerous even in the hands of a trained, experienced professional.

There are no accidents, nor is there negligence nor personal responsibility. To assess these would diminish an individual’s self-esteem. So...there are only unsafe things which must be banned.
Old 09-09-2019, 1:09 PM

This is not about shared blame. This idiot pointed a firearm at a human being and jerked the trigger. Everything that happened is 100% his fault.

A drunk plowed into my friend while she was legally parked on a residential street eating some fast food waiting for her boyfriend to get home from work. His lawyers tried to claim she was partially to blame for her injuries because she didn't have her seatbelt on while not driving.