Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-26-2019, 2:55 PM

Question Company weapon policy question

I started a new job recently. The employee handbook says:

“The following are prohibited:
Possessing any weapon while on company premises, (including parking structures and parking lots associated with company premises), to the extent not prohibited by law.”

I’ve never heard it put that way before. How is this interpreted? I see two ways:
1) A CCW holder is not prohibited from possessing a weapon here by law, so good to go!
2) Any weapon, even if not prohibited by law, will be a problem.

Thoughts?

Lawfully carrying in 36 states
Clamper:64 & 1069 | Ham:Extra | Dirtbike:Fast
Old 08-26-2019, 3:00 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
1) A CCW holder is not prohibited from possessing a weapon here by law, so good to go!
Neither is a non-CCW person transporting a weapon in a legal fashion, like in a locked container or... So I don't think that logic would fly.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-26-2019, 4:54 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

Possessing any weapon while on company premises, (including parking structures and parking lots associated with company premises), to the extent not prohibited by law.”

I’ve never heard it put that way before. How is this interpreted? I see two ways:

Thoughts?
I think that reads 'Our rule is no weapons, unless our rule is prohibited by law.' In some states, IIRC, the parking lot part is prohibited by law.

ETA
Let me expand on that a little, in the light of some discussion below. I agree that the actual language of the company rule is not a model of clarity. But as already noted, CA employment law would allow them to take any application of their rule that they found convenient, and that very likely would be detrimental to the OP's continuing employment.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 08-27-2019 at 1:24 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't ask us. Ask HR.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 08-26-2019, 5:13 PM

Their place, their rules which may include the parking lot as stated above. And yes, ask HR.
Old 08-26-2019, 5:21 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Don't ask us. Ask HR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Their place, their rules which may include the parking lot as stated above. And yes, ask HR.
I believe asking HR will expose the employee to extra, unwanted scrutiny.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-26-2019, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

It means “no dice.” If your company allowed ccw carriers, they’d give that as an exclusion to their “no-weapons” policy.

Besides, in Cali, we are an “at-will” state. In other words, an employer may fire you for nearly any reason at all, including no reason, “at-will.”

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-26-2019, 5:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Thoughts?
There's some really bad use of the English language in the above. While I think that Librarian accurately captured the likely intent of the author(s), that's not what the sentence structure provides for.

The sum of the written words prohibits possession of weapons that are "not prohibited by law." Legal types often like to use the "double negative" where the thing they're trying to describe is not well defined, but the opposite is. We have a pretty good source of law defining what weapons are illegal, but no law defining what weapons are legal. The idea is that if something is not illegal, then it is legal.

But the author of the policy don't seem to get that. According to your policy, possession of a legal mini-canister of pepper spray is a violation of the policy, but possession of a fully automatic machine gun, or a nuclear bomb would not be a violation.

Last edited by RickD427; 08-26-2019 at 8:06 PM.. Reason: See where I got fanged in Post #13
Old 08-26-2019, 5:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it's concealed they shouldn't know about it?
Old 08-26-2019, 5:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
If it's concealed they shouldn't know about it?
Bada bing bada boom. And if you want to subject yourself to that stress every day for XX hours, have at it.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 08-26-2019, 5:51 PM

Delete.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 09-24-2019 at 7:30 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 6:47 PM

Do they have a sign that states they can inspect bags/cars without your consent?
Old 08-26-2019, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
There's some rally bad use of the English language in the above. While I think that Librarian accurately captured the likely intent of the author(s), that's not what the sentence structure provides for.

The sum of the written words prohibits possession of weapons that are "not prohibited by law." Legal types often like to use the "double negative" where the thing they're trying to describe is not well defined, but the opposite is. We have a pretty good source of law defining what weapons are illegal, but no law defining what weapons are legal. The idea is that if something is not illegal, then it is legal.

But the author of the policy don't seem to get that. According to your policy, possession of a legal mini-canister of pepper spray is a violation of the policy, but possession of a fully automatic machine gun, or a nuclear bomb would not be a violation.
Oh the irony here
Old 08-26-2019, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

fyi, my job does not allow it, and my IA says if I carry at work, they need a letter from my employer stating its OK.
Old 08-26-2019, 7:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP...I'm guessing professional desk jockey?

I've have similar rules and regs at my job. Basic answer: not within facilities including parking lots

shuttlecock
Old 08-26-2019, 8:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
Oh the irony here
Touche.......

I fixed the posting.
Old 08-26-2019, 8:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Remove the stuff in parenthesis.

To me that says possessing a weapon while on company premises is against the rules except when not prohibited by law. The parking stuff is an afterthought about it being part of company property.

IOW, if the law allows the carry of the weapon (permit/constitutional carry), then they won’t/can’t stop you from carrying it.

But, this is JMHO and IANAL, the company can say or do basically what ever they want. Employment in kommiefornia is generally “at will”. So if they found out they could just can you and leave it at that. If they presssed it and got the law involved you would probably prevail in the end (provided you didn’t do anything illegal). But getting to that end might be quite costly take years and include at least some time in the slammer (waiting for bail at least). All the while you’re unable to have guns.

Good luck.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 08-26-2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
To me that says possessing a weapon while on company premises is against the rules except when not prohibited by law.
That doesn't make any sense. That's equivalent to not writing the sentence at all. I think Librarian has it correct. You see similar statements at the bottom of lots of forms. "Follow these rules, unless your state law conflicts with part of the rule, then we both have to follow the law". I seem to recall that on insurance forms, where states have vastly different laws for what a company has to do for arbitration and stuff like that.
Old 08-26-2019, 8:44 PM

Keep in mind that in 95% of cases an employer can terminate a California employee based on arbitrary and capricious or even factually bizarre reasons. No matter what the actual policy language says (in most cases) they could fire you if they found out you had a gun on company property, or even mistakenly believed you had brought a gun onto company property. Some states like Kentucky have laws against terminations for having a gun locked in the employee’s car, and some unique employment situations are different.
Old 08-26-2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I believe asking HR will expose the employee to extra, unwanted scrutiny.
^^^^ Nice to hear something intelligent.
Old 08-27-2019, 3:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. That's equivalent to not writing the sentence at all. I think Librarian has it correct. You see similar statements at the bottom of lots of forms. "Follow these rules, unless your state law conflicts with part of the rule, then we both have to follow the law". I seem to recall that on insurance forms, where states have vastly different laws for what a company has to do for arbitration and stuff like that.
I’m just attempting to use the most broad meaning I could think of. Of course I couldn't think of an instance where any of the rules/laws the antis come up with make sense.

And yes, librarian is usually right.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 08-27-2019, 5:50 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I think that reads 'Our rule is no weapons, unless our rule is prohibited by law.' In some states, IIRC, the parking lot part is prohibited by law.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-27-2019, 12:33 PM

Librarian nailed it.

Look at the spirit of this employee rule. Do they want employees to bring firearms on-site? No, they don't and no amount of second guessing or trying to parse the wording changes that.