Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-21-2019, 7:13 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default School resource officer situation

I am a high-school teacher. I went into the office building to take care of some paperwork and noticed the SRO (school resource officer) was standing in the hallway and was not wearing her gun belt or any of her other gear. As I walked passed her office I noticed that her gun, taser, radio, and other miscellaneous stuff we're sitting on her file cabinet. She was rearranging the furniture in her office and asked me for help which I gave her. I then got on her case a bit for leaving her side arm unsecured. When I initially walked in the building, I walked between her and her office door. I easily could have gotten to it before her. Furthermore, when we were moving furniture around, I could have grabbed it at any time. I know that she trusts me and I have even repaired a rifle for her before but that is beside the point.

When I got on her case she said she knew and gave, excuse about not being able to move around well while moving furniture and put it back on. I decided to post this in the LEO forum because I did not want a bunch of anti LEO people chiming in with unproductive comments. I am a bit torn and wondering if I should report her for what I feel was a potentially dangerous lapse of judgement. While highly unlikely, if the wrong person had come through it could have been disastrous. I am sure that there is department policy against taking your weapon off and leaving it unsecured. As a CCW holder, if I were to take my weapon out and leave it unsecured in a public place out of my immediate control, I would expect to be in a world of trouble if I got caught. I expect that same level of responsibility from law enforcement.

The nice guy side of me says I talked to her about it and should let it go. The teacher, senior member of the campus safety committee, parent of two kids attending an elementary school in the district that this same officer services, and responsible firearms owner part of me wonders if I should report it. I like her, but sometimes I feel that she is a bit immature and shows poor judgment. I would like to get some rational opinions on the matter. Thank you

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 08-21-2019, 7:20 PM

No one can tell you what is or is not the right thing to do. No one else was there and saw what you saw.

If you felt it was a major safety issue, take it as far up as you need to. People complain about us rolling a stop sign while heading to a call, and that’s just driving a marked car.

This is firearm safety that everyone should be cognizant and wary of. I’ve reported some of my partners on firearm safety related issues.
Old 08-21-2019, 7:46 PM

if she has another similar incident later in life, and it results in injury or death, you will never forgive yourself for not reporting. She won't change her behavior until she "sees the light".
Old 08-21-2019, 7:52 PM

I have a kid who is a high school principal She said she would want to know and thought your reasons were well communicated.

She would schedule a sit down with the SRO and her supervisor for some re training.
Old 08-21-2019, 8:06 PM

I supervised SRO's in the latter part of my career. I would have wanted to know if one of my officers did this. Now, how you approach it can vary. If you think the matter is basically handled then you can tell the supervisor that you don't want to make a "formal" complaint and that you just want to ensure more care is taken. In my shop that would result in a closed door butt-chewing session.

Of course, very likely your professional relationship would suffer to some degree. As someone else mentioned it all boils down to...Do you think the problem was handled with your comments?
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-21-2019, 8:44 PM

I'm not an LEO, but something to consider:

Maybe you could have a more formal talk directly with her and explain it from your standpoint of being a ccw holder and if you got reported for something similar you'd loose your CCW at a minimum. Peace Officers are supposed to be the example... Maybe add that you considered reporting it, but decided to talk to her directly instead AND if you see anything remotely similar in the future you'll report both incidents.

That way it's all out there and there are no surprises. That would certainly get my attention and in the end I'd have to know you did me a solid. You can judge her reaction/humility to see how to go from there.

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 08-21-2019, 9:27 PM

If it were me and I felt the need to go further (as in it wasn’t handled all the way here/there is a pattern of this SRO making dumb but fairly benign mistakes) i’d speak with her supervisor only. I’d make I clear I just wanted to let him/her know about a few things, otherwise liked the SRO, and trusted they could be sure the SRO just tightened some important things up to continue improving as an officer

If you feel like this is part of a series of major mistakes and don't care if she may get moved/bumped out of her spot then report it/file a complaint and probably inform your principal/boss what you are doing. If this blows up I’m sure they will want to be ahead of it. You may want to do that first, really, depending on your working relationship with your boss and how you think they may handle it.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 08-21-2019, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I’m a retired LEO with 20+ years of supervisory experience. Moving furniture or not, she should NEVER leave her firearm unsecured. PERIOD.

In my experience, too many SROs are ones that could barely cut it in patrol. They go to the schools because of the schedule and that school administrators don’t want arrests made whenever possible.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-22-2019, 3:50 PM

Off the record talk with her supervisor would probably work. Gun should have been locked in a file cabinet or whatever she uses to secure it. Every cop office has some kind of lockbox. That's what it's for.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thank you guys for all of your responses. You basically reinforced what was nagging in the back of my mind. I found out from a friend of mine that is a deputy who her supervisor is. Turns out it is someone that I did some MCI training with a couple of years back and got to know fairly well. (I am a reserve firefighter in addition to being a teacher) I called him up and we had a good talk about it. He said that he would handle it off the record. I also kind of agonized over whether I should tell anyone else at the school site. I decided for a variety of reasons that I needed to. I have a good relationship with our principal so I went in and told her what had happened and that I'd already taken care of it with her supervisor but that I wanted her to be aware of it. I figured that if I was an administrator I would want to know that it had happened and that one of my teachers had gone to the sheriff's department about something that had happened on campus. I would not want to be caught by surprise if it came up somehow. She thanked me and said she would not bring it up or take further action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
No one can tell you what is or is not the right thing to do. No one else was there and saw what you saw.

If you felt it was a major safety issue, take it as far up as you need to. People complain about us rolling a stop sign while heading to a call, and thatís just driving a marked car.

This is firearm safety that everyone should be cognizant and wary of. Iíve reported some of my partners on firearm safety related issues.
I am definitely not a guy that calls and report someone for rolling a stop sign whether they're responding to a call or just cruising. Some people just need to grow a thicker skin. I mentioned above that I'm a reserve firefighter. A few weeks back I was responding to a call with and 8 month old it was dispatched as difficulty breathing. When I got on scene there was no place for me to park the engine without blocking part of the road so I parked in front of the house with the code threes on and went inside. When I got back to the station I found out someone had called to complain about the engine blocking part of the road my chief was not upset with me. The only reason she even brought it up was to rant about how stupid people are and how next time it may be them or their loved ones that we are responding to help.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Iím a retired LEO with 20+ years of supervisory experience. Moving furniture or not, she should NEVER leave her firearm unsecured. PERIOD.

In my experience, too many SROs are ones that could barely cut it in patrol. They go to the schools because of the schedule and that school administrators donít want arrests made whenever possible.
+1, be respectful, no sugar coating, and kindly reminder that the handgun is a defensive tool that could be used to save the SROs, your, teachers and students lives and kept on the person, not treated like an AED.

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!