Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Default Any former / retired New York LEO's on Calguns?

An acquaintance of a relative is doing an audio book version of a novel and had a relatively simple question regarding NY law they thought I could help answer. As I've only worked "the business" in NJ and CA, I haven't a clue. So, here it is:

How is "221.10 PL" (Penal Law, essentially similar to CA Penal Code ("P.C."), Health and Safety Code ("H&S"), etc, "pronounced", exactly.

For example, would a NY cop relate this marijuana charge as "two-twenty-one ten P-L", or "two-hundred-twenty-one point one-zero P-L", or "two-two-one point one-oh P-L", etc.

The audio book "director" wants to make sure the voice actor gets the "pronunciation" absolutely correct. The type-written section, as it is in the book, is "221.10 PL".

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I have to ask, why in the world would a former / retired LEO come from NY to Kali is beyond me...kinda like jumping out of the frying pan right into the fire, if you're much into guns....but I digress :-/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."
--Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life," April 10, 1899
Old 08-11-2019, 1:35 PM

I think ny is one of the lowest paid departments and ca is one of the highest paid... that could be why..
Old 08-11-2019, 4:14 PM

I think we still say, 187 PC: One eighty seven, 245 PC: Two forty five, 11350 H&S: Eleven three fifty H S.

I believe many agencies do the same.
Old 08-11-2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I think we still say, 187 PC: One eighty seven, 245 PC: Two forty five, 11350 H&S: Eleven three fifty H S.

I believe many agencies do the same.
Yup, I and pretty much all my partners, do that.
Old 08-14-2019, 7:06 AM

In reality, the penal law code would be called criminal possession of marijuana “penal law section two twenty one ten”

Or the lesser charge “unlawful possession of marijuana “ ( a violation) would be penal law “two twenty one oh five”

No set rule on it. Saying two twenty one ten “Pee El” wouldn’t be a complete break from reality.

And the precincts are not pronounced as one might think.

The 73rd precinct would be pronounced by the cops as the “seven-three “

Or the 75th precinct would be pronounced by the cops as the “seven -five”
Old 08-16-2019, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Why doesn’t this audio book directer just call up a NYPD precinct and ask an officer over the phone how they pronounce it? It’s no big deal.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><