Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered Need a job, need a job filled? Help out a fellow Calgunner!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2019, 4:22 PM
Fizz's Avatar
Fizz Fizz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,220
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default Local/remote, Hobby/Professional Machinist

I'm working on a gas to electric trials motorcycle conversion.

Need the following operations on a motorcycle crankshaft:
- crankshaft's taper end turned down and cut for a 20mm sprocket, circlip and retaining ring.
- I need the connecting rod pressed out (crank pin is an interference fit)
- crankpin pressed back in, the weights to be dialed/indicated back into alignment,
- the crank weights/webs to be locked together either hole-tap machine screws, welding a plate between the webs, or driving interference fit pins between the existing balancing cuts (pictured).

I have specs for the sprocket cuts.

Assembly balance isn't super critical, but would be nice.




Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (11.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg taper.jpg (7.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg pin.jpg (9.6 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2019, 6:33 PM
G-forceJunkie's Avatar
G-forceJunkie G-forceJunkie is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SCV, So. Cal
Posts: 4,661
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I'm working on a gas to electric trials motorcycle conversion.

Need the following operations on a motorcycle crankshaft:
- crankshaft's taper end turned down and cut for a 20mm sprocket, circlip and retaining ring.
That is the most expensive, difficult way to put a sprocket on there. May not be possible as splines are generally cut before being hardened and finish ground. Can you instead have an adaptor that presses on the taper you already have that mounts the sprocket?

Quote:
- I need the connecting rod pressed out (crank pin is an interference fit)
- crankpin pressed back in, the weights to be dialed/indicated back into alignment,
- the crank weights/webs to be locked together either hole-tap machine screws, welding a plate between the webs, or driving interference fit pins between the existing balancing cuts (pictured).
Any decent motorcycle crank shop can do all that. I was going to recommend Falicon, but I see on their webpage they are no longer doing custom crank work. Just google "Motorcycle Crank Rebuilding."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2019, 6:46 PM
Fizz's Avatar
Fizz Fizz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,220
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
That is the most expensive, difficult way to put a sprocket on there. May not be possible as splines are generally cut before being hardened and finish ground. Can you instead have an adaptor that presses on the taper you already have that mounts the sprocket?



Any decent motorcycle crank shop can do all that. I was going to recommend Falicon, but I see on their webpage they are no longer doing custom crank work. Just google "Motorcycle Crank Rebuilding."
A shop could probably make me a female taper that I can mount the sprocket to, yeah. I just have no idea how to calculate how much torque load such a taper fit can take. My peak output will be ~50ft pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2019, 9:40 PM
G-forceJunkie's Avatar
G-forceJunkie G-forceJunkie is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SCV, So. Cal
Posts: 4,661
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

It wouldn't be too hard to have an additional keyway ground into the taper and broached in the female mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
A shop could probably make me a female taper that I can mount the sprocket to, yeah. I just have no idea how to calculate how much torque load such a taper fit can take. My peak output will be ~50ft pounds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:56 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.