Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 7:53 AM

Default New buy-Colt Commander 1911 BB Gun

A few weeks ago I started doing a lot of research on pellet guns.

Had never looked at them before but I thought the Sig MPX and Sig MCX looked like they could be fun for me to have one of them-- not for varmint control or serious target shooting, just plinking a bit outside for some fun.

Our house is on the side of a large hill so there is zero threat of pellets going anywhere near neighbors etc.

But yesterday was a lazy Saturday and after I surveyed our yard I realized the layout wasn't very conducive to a pellet rifle-- just not enough wide open space to be able to take shots at further than 25 ft, etc.

So after looking at a ton of Youtube videos and reviews from customers on various airgun websites, I decided the best starter option for me was to buy a Colt Commander 1911 CO2 blowback BB gun.

Why? because I use one of my 1911's as my primary HD gun and do not get to the range nearly as much as I'd like these days and I could not believe how realistic this thing looked and felt on videos I found on internet. I dry fire almost every night but figured this would help trigger discipline as well.

Bought a BB trap for it so there wouldn't be thousands of BB's all over our yard.

Looking forward to receiving it this week and trying it out. Also bought an extra magazine for it and a bunch of Co2 capsules.

Looking forward to trying it out-- supposed arrive tomorrow!! Any tips?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2019, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Where did you order it from?

Pyramid Air?

A freak without instruction, is headed for self destruction!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Eye wear? Ricochets.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Where did you order it from?

Pyramid Air?
Yes-- Ended up ordering from Pyramid Air after searching around a lot of websites.

And yes, I certainly will be wearing my safety glasses!! No ear pro though!!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post
Yes-- Ended up ordering from Pyramid Air after searching around a lot of websites.

Please update when you get the chance. Curious how it performs.
Old 04-28-2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
Please update when you get the chance. Curious how it performs.
Will do.
Old 04-29-2019, 8:20 AM

I received the Colt Commander via UPS yesterday evening and decided to quickly give it a try before it got dark in 30 minutes.

I knew nothing about airguns at all except for the 3 hours of online research I had done a few days before in order to decide on what I wanted to buy. Since I already had watched a lot of YouTube vids on how these guns worked, I immediately screwed in C02 canister and loaded the mag with 10 bb's- I think it takes 18 but I was short on time.

I lined up 2 soda cans and a paper coffee cup on a wood fence and racked the slide and stood about 25 ft away from targets. At this point it was basically dark out but I could see the targets.

I shot the 10 bb's and really liked the feel of the blowback action. As far as the trigger, it was similar to my SW1911 trigger I use as my primary HD gun but had a bit more take up. But overall I was very surprised and pleased with the quality of the gun.

I shot the first 2 cans off the fence with first 2 shots. Then the next 8 shots I was aiming for the remaining coffee cup. The cup never moved and I just kept shooting thinking the sights maybe were off a bit or I was just not accurate, etc.

Well when I was done, and the slide did lock back on the last bb which I thought was a really cool feature-- I walked over and looked at the cup and it had 7 holes going through and through-- so I actually hit it 7/8 times, the bb's just went through it without knocking it off the fence like the cans did.

Really cool!!!

I loaded up a second mag with 12 bb's and shot them and functioned great again and slide locked back again on last round.

I love this thing!!!

Our house is on the edge of a hill so any missed BB's just go back into the side of a mountain.

But I do not want our yard littered with BB's so I did buy a target/bb catcher that is coming in the mail tomorrow that I can place targets in front of and the bb's will be caught by this target rather than spraying all around our yard and surrounding hill.

I have read that one C02 canister lasts 3-4 magazines and I only shot 2 mags of bb's and then took it out and has not lost any pressure. When I get home from work today I'll see how many more mags/rounds I can get out of the C02.

I'm really glad I bought the Colt Commander after looking at a bunch of these online-- I really wanted to get a 1911 or the Beretta 92 because those 2 are my primary HD as well as range/practice guns I wanted to simulate with the airgun to practice in the back yard.

So far I'm extremely impressed but only took it for a quick try out last night before got pitch dark.

Last edited by timbo399; 04-29-2019 at 9:26 AM..
Old 04-30-2019, 9:42 AM

Follow up from my post above from taking my new Colt Commander BB gun out--

Last night I took it out for a second time after got home from work and shot 6-7 mags before got pitch dark.

Set up some cans outside and shot at them from about 30 ft away.

Slide locked back every time on last round. Love that. One C02 canister lasted 4 mags for me but I was only loading mags to 12 instead of full 18.

I did buy some Airsoft C02 canister sealant/lube that I dab on the canister before inserting so maybe that has helped preserve the C02 for maximum shots.

Really fantastic training aid. The Colt Commander trigger on my Lyman trigger gauge is 6.5 lbs compared to 5 lbs on my Home Defense SW1911. And it has more take up-- but not too bad a trigger still.

Extremely accurate at 30 ft hitting all cans etc. Love this thing!!

My bb catcher comes in mail today so won't have thousands of bb's all around our property and once receive it I'll just hang paper targets in front of the bb catcher so they don't go all over.

Thinking of purchasing a bb rifle for some more accuracy. Why a bb rifle instead of a pellet rifle?? I'm not quite sure, I think for my simple needs a bb rifle would be fun to just plink targets with around our property and I'd buy some more bb traps so I can stick targets in front of them and not have bb's everywhere.
Old 05-01-2019, 5:59 PM
Banned

Glad you enjoy it. They make a blowback action mp7 that I wanna get my hands on. Looks like it'd be fun to use, and it's the closest I'll ever get to the real thing.
Old 05-01-2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python6357 View Post
Glad you enjoy it. They make a blowback action mp7 that I wanna get my hands on. Looks like it'd be fun to use, and it's the closest I'll ever get to the real thing.
Yeah this new airgun hobby of mine, that I knew nothing about 1 week ago but just did many hours of research on Youtube reviews, Pyramid Air reviews, etc over the past week quickly gets addicting.

I do not have the time to get to the range nearly as often as I'd like these days but our yard is perfect because there is zero chance of bb's hitting anything because we live on the edge of a hill with a mountain as a back stop.

The Colt Commander is truly a great training aid--- I actually love the fact that the trigger is not quite as good as the trigger on my SW1911 .45 HD gun-- it helps me improve trigger discipline.

I did 10's of hours of more research and yesterday just ordered the Crosman DPMS SBR C02 full auto bb gun in FDE.

I honestly don't see myself using full auto too much but think it will be a ton of fun in our back yard. Already have bought a bunch of different types of targets for it-- now just have to wait another week or so for delivery!!!!!

Also bought a 100 pack of C02 canisters and extra mags!!!!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 AM

I receive my Crosman DPMS C02 full auto BB rifle in a week or so.
Already loaded up on C02 cartridges and a couple extra mags.

As mentioned above, our yard is great in that it is on the edge of a large hill and any errant BB's will just fly off into the side of a mountain about 50 yards from our house. So far I've just been lining up old plastic bottles and soda cans to plink at with my new Colt Commander 1911 BB gun I received a week ago.

But still, sometimes an errant BB will ricochet off a can if gun gets low on C02 etc and we have a pool right there next to my "firing range" and I don't want BB's going into our pool.

So I've been online looking at BB gun targets for days now and they all seem to either be made for pellet guns where the BB's will just bounce off and don't have enough force to knock down any reactive pellet gun target, or just seem cheaply made for $50-$75 on Amazon and other Airgun websites.

So I decided to build my own targets.

I ordered 12 large cardboard boxes and a bunch of cheap X Large towels off Amazon for a total of $15.

I plan to fill a cardboard box with towels, slap on a paper target on side of box-- and shoot away. Seemed like a good, cheap way to not have BB's all over our yard-- especially when using the Crosman DPMS SBR on full auto.

And when I shred up one side of the box with BB's, I have 3 other sides I can use until the box is fully shredded and then move on to the next cardboard box and fill it with the large towels so all BB's get trapped in the box.

That's the simple, cheap, target solution I decided on anyway.

Been loving the Colt Commander BB gun now since I've had it for over a week. Still locks back on last shot every time and one C02 cartridge lasts around 50 BB's so 4-5 mags.

It really is a great training aid when cannot get to the range as much as I'd like.

The Crosman DPMS SBR should be interesting. Got a RDS for it and that will make it even more fun for plinking.
Old 05-03-2019, 5:51 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Go to lowes and buy a bag of rubber mulch. Put the bag in a box and stick a target on it. The mulch eats up bbs and pellets. Nothing penetrates and the used bbs and pellets stay in the box. I have a box in my garage i use for target practice in my home indoor range.
The bb/ pellet thing is addictive i bought a sig mpx which has evolved into 2 rifles and 4 pistols. Good times. I can post pictures of my target if you want. Let me know
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 05-04-2019, 7:13 AM

Thanks for the advice Don. I'm not really familiar with rubber mutch but sounds like it works great if you're able to shoot it with both pellets and bb's indoors.

Our house is not big enough to be able to shoot at any type of distance indoors unfortunately so I have to go down to the yard.

Yeah, my interest first got piqued on this whole hobby by looking really closely at the Sig MPX .177 pellet gun. But then for some reason I just ended up going the bb route.

If I had more room to shoot further distances I probably would have gotten a pellet gun.

Never looked at these C02 guns before 2 weeks ago nor had any idea of the offerings and now I have the Colt Commander, which is a fantastic 1911 training aid, and the Crosman DPMS SBR is on its way from Pyramid Air.

Now I'm thinking of buying the Beretta 92 bb gun!! Not because of it's full auto capability-- I don't think I'd use that much-- but because in addition to owning and shooting a lot of .45 1911's, I also own 2 9mm Beretta 92's that are my favorite full size 9mm's that I own.

So I figured I could practice with the Beretta 92 DA/SA Blowback bb gun as well.

I'm still going to the "real" range and practicing with my .45's and 9 mm's but this is great fun when want to just step outside the house and shoot a bit.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post

Good choice!

I've ordered several airguns from Pyramid Air, customer service is top notch!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 05-05-2019, 1:48 PM

Anyone have the Umarex Beretta 92 blowback bb gun?

I'm not really interested in the full auto capability, but just like I bought the Colt Commander because I use my SW1911 as my primary HD gun, I also love my 2 Beretta 92's and would like to get an airgun to match those as well to practice with.