Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2019, 4:58 PM

Thumbs up Your most used Bible Translations

My most used these days is the New King James version. For research a few others are frequently used, The Pe****tta version, a Eastern Text ( Aramaic ) and Inter linear texts both in Hebrew and Greek from time to time. The posting gear won't let me properly name the Eastern Text version, it actually is spelled as I tried to post it. If you can, check out the actual spelling, Its on the Holy Bible from the Ancient Eastern Text, George M. Lamsa's Translation from The Aramaic of The Pe****ta.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 03-31-2019 at 5:06 PM.. Reason: Tried to correct spellcheck in one word
Old 03-31-2019, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve read several, including the Greek New Testament. But I like the NIV. I guess because I’ve read it the most. Lately, it is the ESV because that is what my pastor preaches from.
Old 03-31-2019, 5:12 PM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lamsa

Pes hit ta

Last edited by psssniper; 03-31-2019 at 5:23 PM..
Old 04-01-2019, 12:17 AM

The copy I am holding in my hand is spelled as I originally put it in my posting. I wasn't allowing for a issue on pronouncement of the word. Likewise on pages I & II of The Preface. But I an not intending to correct you psssniper.

Psalm 1
Old 04-01-2019, 1:05 AM

ESV
Old 04-01-2019, 8:21 AM

Post 2011 NIV went "gender neutral". CSB from now on for me.

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 04-01-2019, 11:44 AM

As a kid, our church used the NKJV. In college, we used the NRSV -- a far better translation, though still from the KJ tradition. Both are so full of notes in the margin I couldn't give them away if I tried.

I got a good laugh when I learned about Bible translations. Going from a dead language (Koine, Ancient Hebrew, etc.) to a living language makes sense. But translating from one dead language to another isn't very helpful to anybody. The original KJ makes sense to me -- it was a language in-use at the time (albeit a literary, artistic form of it). But the NKJ was a bad idea. Nobody every spoke or wrote in New King James English.

In college, before the internet, I always had on-hand my NKJ, my NRSV, an NIV, NEB, Biblia Hebraica & the New Testament in Greek. I could always borrow somebody else's Phillips or Living Bible for comparison sake. Most of those still sit on my bookshelves.

From what I recall, I always preferred a translation to be done:
1. In a language being used today by some group of people
2. By ecumenical committee, not an individual's or single denomination's translation.
3. With fair compromise given between the literal and the overall spirit of the message.
4. With respect and deference given to the traditional translations and interpretations over a more modern ones. In other words, let the reader interpret for the modern context, not the translator.
Old 04-01-2019, 2:57 PM

For daily reading ESV or NASB. I have YouVersion App on my phone and I can compare nearly any version I want. For serious study I have a pretty good set of LOGOS Bible software on my computer.
Old 04-02-2019, 4:33 AM

I use Nestle-Aland 28 to read and build sermons from. I use NASB 95 as my English translation as it is the most accurate word-for-word translation, so is easy to use with the Greek. When translating, I have my Bible programs (Logos 8 and Bibleworks 10) show me Young's Literal, NKJV and ESV. Young's comes closest to the Greek, but doesn't try to match our English sentence structure. NKJV is almost identical to NASB and often I like some of their phrasing best, but it has the conflation problem and the Greek text problem, so overall deviates too much. ESV is just the latest NIV-type Bible, so has too much built-in interpretation plus cannot be tied back to the Greek text.

Dr. Robert Thomas (deceased) did exceptional work with his books on how to compare translations. It was required study in Seminary and helps a lot.

It's always helpful to use or be very close to the version your pastor is preaching from. It makes following sermons SO much easier. Many folks also like and ESV/NIV type for devotionals while using an NASB/NKJV for Bible Study.

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 04-02-2019, 6:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I’ve read several, including the Greek New Testament. But I like the NIV.

I like the OLD NIV... before they started monkeying with the pronouns.

Mainly because, I already know where all the Calvinist errors are.
Old 04-02-2019, 8:46 AM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Grew up on NIV and I still like the natural sounding prose, but lately growing fondness for ESV ever since our pastor's been preaching from it. Reads similar to NASB. I like using the YouVersion bible app to toggle between versions.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Yea I have on my phone like 5 versions at church pastor reads of nkjv, I stopped mainly reading from niv and went to esv after seeing the way they translated
Ps 23:4

Just downloaded nasb
Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 AM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyordeath View Post
Yea I have on my phone like 5 versions at church pastor reads of nkjv, I stopped mainly reading from niv and went to esv after seeing the way they translated
Ps 23:4

Just downloaded nasb
Yes, I noticed that last week. "The darkest valley" doesn't have the oomph like the "valley of the shadow of death". They do have the alternate wording in the ellipsis.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-04-02 11.46.52.jpg (9.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-04-02 11.47.22.jpg (9.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
Yes, I noticed that last week. "The darkest valley" doesn't have the oomph like the "valley of the shadow of death". They do have the alternate wording in the ellipsis.

Yea that verse there is such a strong verse to Christians it speaks volumes we will be in the shadow of DEATH but we will not fear it.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do onto others before they can do onto you.
Old 04-02-2019, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

I actually did a poll here once about which bible people prefer. It didn’t get much of an enthusiastic response as I recall. Kinda like this forum in particular. Not much activity at times. But anyway...

I like and reference most from my 1984-NIV’s and despise the 2011 publication.

I love the Elizabethan language of my 1611-KJV. However when referencing the KJV, I much prefer my 1769-KJV which is easier to understand than the 1611. In fact most people don’t even realize that they’re more than likely reading from a 1769 KJV and NOT a true copy of the 1611 printing. (...Special attention: KJV-onlyists).

Then there’s Cambridge vs Oxford renditions.... the KJV is truly a gold standard of the Bible, with many different printing changes of which are too long to mention in this thread. Plus, nobody talks in Elizabethan English any longer.

Out of pure reading enjoyment, sometimes I’ll even pull out my old leather bound copy of my 1599 Geneva Bible, though I’m not a Calvinist. The 1599 Geneva is painful to read with all of its gothic calligraphy and olde English language. I find it harder to decipher than even the 1611-KJV. I also have a 1560 Geneva, which is much easier to read than the 1599. Sometimes I like to compare it with the 1611-KJV.

Next favorite on my list is my Hebrew-Greek NASB rendition for studying.

Or I may reference my 1983-NIV (not 1984-NIV in this instance) Chain Reference Bible. It’s anither good one.

I also love the NKJV. I have several with one being the “Open” bible which is another fabulous studying resource. I think the NKJV is a fantastic (not perfect) translation done really well.

So I use many different bibles for different purposes and enjoyment of The Word, study and prayer. One thing I realized is that for those that say I’m reading the WRONG translation(s) from the aforementioned list up above, I say that all of them still clearly tell me that Jesus is Lord and Savior! I guess I’m reading the right ones in that case.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 04-04-2019, 6:40 PM

You certainly are TPT.

Psalm 1
Old 04-04-2019, 8:07 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
I love the Elizabethan language of my 1611-KJV. However when referencing the KJV, I much prefer my 1769-KJV which is easier to understand than the 1611. In fact most people don’t even realize that they’re more than likely reading from a 1769 KJV and NOT a true copy of the 1611 printing. (...Special attention: KJV-onlyists).
We have the earlier KJV for a main read, here's why:

I wanted an old bible, not a reprint but one that was printed centuries ago, sturdy and so not having to be babied, and for the least money.

So we haunted Abi books and Alibris a few weeks. Searching for old Bibles.
Found one printed in 1716 for little over a hundred dollars.
It's now over 300 years old!

It had no collector value, because it was rebound with modern hard cover.

Very sturdy, less care need be taken to read it than a modern book. Bullet proof, so to speak.

I had to learn that tall crooked f means s in those days.

HINT: If you want a wooden bible box to hold any loved Bible, go to Etsy. At least a dozen sellers there who will make you one cheaper than commercial. Large or small, you chose the exact dimensions. eBay can't compete. This is true of many home crafted items, like a chessboard, a lamp, a belt, etc.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
We have the earlier KJV for a main read, here's why:

I wanted an old bible, not a reprint but one that was printed centuries ago, sturdy and so not having to be babied, and for the least money.

So we haunted Abi books and Alibris a few weeks. Searching for old Bibles.
Found one printed in 1716 for little over a hundred dollars.
It's now over 300 years old!

It had no collector value, because it was rebound with modern hard cover.

Very sturdy, less care need be taken to read it than a modern book. Bullet proof, so to speak.

I had to learn that tall crooked f means s in those days.

HINT: If you want a wooden bible box to hold any loved Bible, go to Etsy. At least a dozen sellers there who will make you one cheaper than commercial. Large or small, you chose the exact dimensions. eBay can't compete. This is true of many home crafted items, like a chessboard, a lamp, a belt, etc.
Very nice!

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 04-06-2019, 6:29 AM

As long as you have a bible in hand you can’t go wrong.

My mentor stressed to me the importance of sticking with the gospels this time of year and gave me a copy of The Harmony of The Gospels. This is a chronological book of all 4 authors for those who are unfamiliar. It has really opened my eyes this season.

In particular, the parable of the spontaneous seed. We don’t know how, but God strengthens us in ways we cannot even fully grasp. Amen
Old 04-06-2019, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Book of Mormon at least it is up to date.
Old 04-07-2019, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Book of Mormon at least it is up to date.
Huh? Not a Mormon here, but the BOM is NOT The Bible. It’s not even a “Mormon bible.”

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><