Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 11:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Just being the one to say you dismantled your own arguments and positions.

The global airgun market is about 1.5 billion dollars. I guess not that many people are buying them.

The "toys" comment you made and still make is just what anyone reading this knows it to be, nonsense and designed just to stir things, I get it.

What I don't get is how in that position you exclude them from 2nd/A protection.
Bro, we agree. Some of that market is my money I spent on air toys. I will spend some more on a PCP someday, a compressor, and I keep buying pellets, BB's, CO2's, etc...

I do not have a position to exclude anything from 2A. I also do not agree in calling undue attention from bad actors to air when there is no damn reason for them to get riled up about a 30 FPE toy that happens to launch BB's as fast as you pull the trigger... or faster. Sometimes I wonder about people who keep repeating that they are gonna come for the air because the auto ones are so damn cool, etc... like they expect and want a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like the FNG's that call DOJ and ask why something is legal over and over until the DOJ decides the idiots on the phone are right. Right or wrong, that's how I think. My opinion. That's what a forum is... you do not have to agree, and if you put words in my mouth I will correct you.

Peace
Old 02-11-2022, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

so i have a big tank and a guppy.
i understand you are only supposed to use the small cheap compressors to full your gun, and not a large tank (i assume continuous run time is the issue).
would they fill a guppy ok? what compressor would i need to fill the bigger tank?
Old 02-13-2022, 7:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Bump. Been on the fence about a compressor for a while. I can get my 4500psi bottle filled at the airsoft shop 10 minutes away, or any paintball or dive shop. So it’s been hard to justify the expense.

Been wanting a Hatsan Blitz s a step up from my Hatsan AT-44. Love the AT-44, so quiet i shoot out in my backyard in the ‘burbs surrounded by Karens and no one’s the wiser….
My buddy bought the Blitz. All smiles when dumping a mag

Only gripe he's had is sometimes he forgets the selector switch is on full when all he wants is a single shot. Surprise!
Old 02-13-2022, 7:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
so i have a big tank and a guppy.
i understand you are only supposed to use the small cheap compressors to full your gun, and not a large tank (i assume continuous run time is the issue).
would they fill a guppy ok? what compressor would i need to fill the bigger tank?
The smaller comp's will fill your tank but will take a very long time and your comp will more or less have a very short life. I'd love to have a big tank, but I live in the foothills of Tulare Co and my nearest filling statin is about 45 min drive.
Old 02-13-2022, 1:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How are the groups at 100 yards?

I see on YT a lot of people using custom ammo and expensive ammo getting 3"+ groups at best.

I'm not sure how some people think these guns are going to shoot 600 yards and hit anything if they are not shooting one hole at 100 yards.

Last video I watched was a $3,000 gun shooting 3" groups after trying 10 different pellets.
Old 02-14-2022, 9:40 AM
Banned

Some of the bigger caliber big bore air guns are effective out to 100yds and further but I'd never spend the kind of money that some guys do.

I've got almost $1k in my first PCP but I don't see myself spending more than that as it very effective for my needs.

The original investment into PCP is painful which why a lot of people don't get involved. But once you're setup, ammo is dirt cheap and plentiful.
Old 02-14-2022, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyJ View Post
Some of the bigger caliber big bore air guns are effective out to 100yds and further but I'd never spend the kind of money that some guys do.

I've got almost $1k in my first PCP but I don't see myself spending more than that as it very effective for my needs.

The original investment into PCP is painful which why a lot of people don't get involved. But once you're setup, ammo is dirt cheap and plentiful.
I'd be happy getting .22 LR energy with at least semi-auto and say, 40 to 60 absolutely full power regulated shots per fill... .22 LR weight bullet too... maybe .25 or .30 and doing less than 3/4" at 100 yards with some good pellets or slugs.

I think that's obtainable for $1000 plus compressor someday.
Old 02-14-2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
How are the groups at 100 yards?

I see on YT a lot of people using custom ammo and expensive ammo getting 3"+ groups at best.

I'm not sure how some people think these guns are going to shoot 600 yards and hit anything if they are not shooting one hole at 100 yards.

Last video I watched was a $3,000 gun shooting 3" groups after trying 10 different pellets.
I think the info you have is a bit dated. Shooting pigeons and such at 200 yards isn't some rare accomplishment anymore. Pigeons aren't exactly barn door big and from watching more than a few shooters at ranges who have $2000 ARs they couldn't do it despite fancy optics and match ammo.

For $3000 you can hit sub MOA if you know how to shoot. That is with 30 caliber. That isn't a $3000 gun, it's the total package including optics.

Most off the shelf cartridge rifles can't shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards using just any ammo, not close. It's not a dollar a round to shoot factory ammo either. Go price match ammo for something, it's over a buck a blast.

Go to just about any range and pick 10 shooters at random. You'd be lucky to get a couple of them able to hit anything at 600 yards. We both know that.

3" groups at 100 yards is 5 years ago. Getting a 1" group at 100 with a good but not many thousands of dollars PCP is rather routine these days. Seriously.

Last edited by SharedShots; 02-14-2022 at 7:13 PM..
Old 02-14-2022, 10:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think the info you have is a bit dated. Shooting pigeons and such at 200 yards isn't some rare accomplishment anymore. Pigeons aren't exactly barn door big and from watching more than a few shooters at ranges who have $2000 ARs they couldn't do it despite fancy optics and match ammo.
Anymore?? We used to do that with 20" AR's and 4x scopes like 25 years ago all day long... regular Walmart orange clays on the berm at 200 yards is not a problem. Those were not free-floated AR's and the ones they had back then looked like someone bolted on the pipe from under a sink. How's that for dated? Maybe it was cool compared to a Mini-14 back then, but AR's were accurate before the $2000 price tags. No one asked about 4-5" groups... I have seen that. I also see lots of one-hole groups at 10-25 yards... we were talking 600 yards. I think that evaporated.

I am waiting for someone to post some 100 yard groups that look decent on YouTube with repeatable accuracy. Just post a link and you won't have to get all riled up about Pellet guns either having two powerful shots per fill, or falling short of rimfire power levels and not making 100 yards.

I'd like to see one that can shoot 40-60 shots on a fill and has 100 FPE or so... that would be LOW for a .22 LR. The guns I am tempted to buy are only 50 FPE... that's less than half a rimfire.

We all know air guns are fun. I am just looking for a reasonable assessment of what they could do outdoors, not 10 yards in the house.

Heck, how about less than 100 yards? Post some sub MOA 75 yard 5-shot groups.

What happened to anything that's not 4,000 fps is slow? Now a clay pigeon at 200 yards is long range precision?

BUT OK, let's see the clays at 200 yards.
Old 02-15-2022, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Anymore?? We used to do that with 20" AR's and 4x scopes like 25 years ago all day long... regular Walmart orange clays on the berm at 200 yards is not a problem. Those were not free-floated AR's and the ones they had back then looked like someone bolted on the pipe from under a sink. How's that for dated? Maybe it was cool compared to a Mini-14 back then, but AR's were accurate before the $2000 price tags. No one asked about 4-5" groups... I have seen that. I also see lots of one-hole groups at 10-25 yards... we were talking 600 yards. I think that evaporated.

I am waiting for someone to post some 100 yard groups that look decent on YouTube with repeatable accuracy. Just post a link and you won't have to get all riled up about Pellet guns either having two powerful shots per fill, or falling short of rimfire power levels and not making 100 yards.

I'd like to see one that can shoot 40-60 shots on a fill and has 100 FPE or so... that would be LOW for a .22 LR. The guns I am tempted to buy are only 50 FPE... that's less than half a rimfire.

We all know air guns are fun. I am just looking for a reasonable assessment of what they could do outdoors, not 10 yards in the house.

Heck, how about less than 100 yards? Post some sub MOA 75 yard 5-shot groups.

What happened to anything that's not 4,000 fps is slow? Now a clay pigeon at 200 yards is long range precision?

BUT OK, let's see the clays at 200 yards.

If you can't find repeatable groups at 100 yards MOA and better you just refuse to look and discover you're wrong. A rather typical pattern . Then it's the 40-60 shots and no one asked about that either so? This is California, only criminals are running around with 40-60 shot anything. Really now.

Sub MOA for airguns has been around for some time. You're just out of touch and time and anyone who has even a passing knowledge of airguns knows it by now.

Although I dislike YouGotTubed, apparently that is where you get all your information so here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snt...tDesertShooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Hv...rArmsHuntingSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOV...tDesertShooter

Last one was hitting 325 yards, a relatively new to airguns shooter. It gets a lot better. Now watch most Tubers shooting any past a few hundred yards and they do the same thing, sighter after sighter and then finally impacts.

I can't wait for the muh magnum hits at 3000 yards. Way past funny.

It's ok, no matter what you'll figure out a way to come up with another twist because you don't seem to get it that this isn't 1995.

There you go again. At this point you aren't even worthy of further discussion; you're just putting out utter nonsense and when shown how you simply move the target each time what you say doesn't make any sense you "circle back". I get the playing aspect of what you're doing and didn't mind it at first, now it just you so see ya.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.

Last edited by SharedShots; 02-15-2022 at 6:04 AM..
Old 02-15-2022, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Like I said, electric GUNS have a lot better chance. Invest your hopes and dreams in rail guns or a phased plasma rifle. There is a very real limit to that man-portable air tank. IMHO.
See the latest Forgotten Weapons. You can buy a coil gun. It's not very practical right now, but everything started at a beginning.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
See the latest Forgotten Weapons. You can buy a coil gun. It's not very practical right now, but everything started at a beginning.
Yeah I saw that one... I think it is the same one a few other YT people had a while back, like the Veterinarian dude... Demolition Ranch. Definitely the beginning. That was what I was thinking of when I guessed electric will leap frog PCP... or it will just be another option when toy shopping eventually.

The air guns I have used with the exception of some tough AF break barrel single shot are way more prone to breaking, some mechanism going haywire, etc... especially if you drop on the ground or bang into a object hiking or whatever, carpet drop, seals blowing out at the wrong time, etc... maybe you stored it wrong and now it doesn't work when you need it, etc...

No one thinks these are like a real gun... well almost no one. Maybe like a Hi-Point?
Old 02-15-2022, 12:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
you simply move the target each time what you say doesn't make any sense you "circle back". I get the playing aspect of what you're doing and didn't mind it at first, now it just you so see ya.
You set the target at 600 yards, not me. You also said full-auto is amazing, but I don't even know if you realize, if the gun had decent power, there would be full-auto for 2-3 shots.

Personally, I like the LCS SK-19, Huben K1, and still checking out the Hatsan... do have a Hatsan Shotgun and it is OK. I could settle for 80 FPE and a lot of shots per fill, but I am not expecting to shoot 600 yards, hahahahah.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you can't find repeatable groups at 100 yards MOA and better you just refuse to look and discover you're wrong. A rather typical pattern . Then it's the 40-60 shots and no one asked about that either so? This is California, only criminals are running around with 40-60 shot anything. Really now.

Sub MOA for airguns has been around for some time. You're just out of touch and time and anyone who has even a passing knowledge of airguns knows it by now.

Although I dislike YouGotTubed, apparently that is where you get all your information so here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snt...tDesertShooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Hv...rArmsHuntingSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOV...tDesertShooter
Typical of what I have seen at 100 yards or further... the little 30 grain pellet pings off the steel ineffectually without budging it... doesn't swing it in the least. Typical air toy power.

Yeah I love to watch pigeon killing videos and I mentioned them in my previous posts. .25 cal pellets dropping winged mice is not exactly POWER.

Again, these groups at 100 yards were OK for air... but typical 3"-4" groups are not exactly awe inspiring if you expect to make it to 600. I don't expect that. I just want a PCP that I can use outdoors and not feel like all of a sudden any range is out of reach. That's a tough one for any shooter used to centerfire... heck, even rimfire.
Old 02-15-2022, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How much are those FX air guns? Why does more plenum equal more power?
Old 02-15-2022, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

you can pay over a couple grand.
plenum is the air charge used to push the pellet, so more air at whatever pressure means more potential velocity up to a point.
obviously once the pellet leaves the barrel, more air is just going to make more noise, hence tuning your rifle to get the desired velocity with the minimum amount of air is the goal. newer rifles are easier to tune, or are factory tuned for a certain velocity and people can leave them.

some sellers will tune them.
for example, you might have them take a 900fps rifle that will shoot 50 pellets at that speed on one fill, and tune it to shoot 600fps so it is quieter, and will get 140 shots per fill.

Last edited by theLBC; 02-15-2022 at 3:45 PM..
Old 02-15-2022, 3:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
you can pay over a couple grand.
plenum is the air charge used to push the pellet, so more air at whatever pressure means more potential velocity.
Thanks, I see Airgundepot has some listed.

What are the PCP's that shoot a 200 grain bullet at 950 fps? Mostly I see really light projectiles even from the FX guns.

The Airforce guns are still really powerful. The Texan is kind of nuts. Why don't people talk about Airforce as much these days. Isn't it still 1995?
Old 02-15-2022, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Typical of what I have seen at 100 yards or further... the little 30 grain pellet pings off the steel ineffectually without budging it... doesn't swing it in the least. Typical air toy power.

Yeah I love to watch pigeon killing videos and I mentioned them in my previous posts. .25 cal pellets dropping winged mice is not exactly POWER.

Again, these groups at 100 yards were OK for air... but typical 3"-4" groups are not exactly awe inspiring if you expect to make it to 600. I don't expect that. I just want a PCP that I can use outdoors and not feel like all of a sudden any range is out of reach. That's a tough one for any shooter used to centerfire... heck, even rimfire.
90% or more airgun hunting is done inside 50 yards, and pellet guns are plenty accurate at those distances.
personally, i am not going to chase powder burner performance with an airgun and i don't really think that is the goal. they are just pushing the limits like some people do with ELR shooting.

i might buy a dirty 30 barrel just because i can for not very much money and change it in a few minutes. it might be more fun at the pistol caliber steel arcade because it'll make more sound.
Old 02-15-2022, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm curious if they can even get close to the performance of powder burners, but I wouldn't want one if it had 2-12 shots... I think those FX guns have 12 shots and they start dropping off after shot one.

I would probably choose a .25 over a .30 for pellet selection... I'd rather have a semi-auto than a repeater, even giving up some power. I doubt I would dump more than $1000 into a gun (just the gun). I just want something that is good for an air rifle... maybe something 40-60 FPE, semi-auto, hammerless and regulated is out there for $1000.
Old 02-15-2022, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
I'm curious if they can even get close to the performance of powder burners, but I wouldn't want one if it had 2-12 shots... I think those FX guns have 12 shots and they start dropping off after shot one.

I would probably choose a .25 over a .30 for pellet selection... I'd rather have a semi-auto than a repeater, even giving up some power. I doubt I would dump more than $1000 into a gun (just the gun). I just want something that is good for an air rifle... maybe something 40-60 FPE, semi-auto, hammerless and regulated is out there for $1000.
i don't think they can get that close without a much larger air supply and/or longer barrels because the difference in pressures is pretty huge.
if you could, you lose the quietness of the moderated airgun. most people stay subsonic both for quieter shooting, and because skirted pellets don't seem to perform well over 1000fps.

200-500gr slugs.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mer-air-rifle/

Last edited by theLBC; 02-15-2022 at 5:14 PM..
Old 02-16-2022, 7:58 PM
Banned

Good discussion here boys, but not much chat about PCP compressors.
Old 03-11-2022, 5:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Air Venturi 4500

So far so good with the Air Venturi 4500 psi compressor. I got the air gun bug and the trips to fill the tanks were 100 miles round trip just wasn't going to work especially now with gas prices. Lots of reviews out there ck them out.
I like mine

Old 03-11-2022, 5:49 PM
CGN Contributor

That is some serious equipment. Mucho jelly/envy.
Old 03-11-2022, 6:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
That is some serious equipment. Mucho jelly/envy.
Old 03-12-2022, 8:12 AM

Quote:
i don't think they can get that close without a much larger air supply and/or longer barrels because the difference in pressures is pretty huge.
if you could, you lose the quietness of the moderated airgun. most people stay subsonic both for quieter shooting, and because skirted pellets don't seem to perform well over 1000fps.

200-500gr slugs.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mer-air-rifle/

Barrel length doesn't do all that much for the velocity, they aren't burning anything to get pressure. Look at the pneumatic guns, even with short barrels their velocities are just about equal in pistol and rifles. Note I'm saying pneumatics not pre-charged although in some way all airguns are precharged.

Longer barrels often restrict velocity, once the air charge is released in a pneumatic that is all there is, no burning of powder to build pressure over a longer barrel, the pressure is decreasing the instant the air charged is released. Different powders can burn at different rates and over longer barrel lengths.

If you take a 20" airgun and lop off 2" from the barrel you'll likely not see any difference worth mentioning. For springers and single charge penumatics barrel length has a great deal to do with ease of use (cocking effort) since 40 lbs and often more are needed to charge the gun. The shorter the barrel the more difficult. Cocking assistance shrouds are sold to help with that. For the single charge pneumatics, under levers also aided cocking and allowed for rigid barrels to increase accuracy and avoid the barrel droop common to break barrel guns.

The big deal with increasing velocities and consistent power levels over higher number of shots is with multiple plenums and dual regulation. Gone are the days of velocity dropping after a single shot except for really high weight pellets and poorly engineered guns. Velocity drops after a single shot have passed some time ago.

We're seeing serious development in compressors dedicated to airguns. Already, they are affordable except for cheapskates that want everything but want to pay nothing for it.

Its all about pressure because higher pressures mean guns don't have to get larger. Regulators are becoming more efficient and that really helps.

One more innovation of sorts headed our way is liquid air storage. While it has to be a single gas (not plain air) the volume per cylinder goes way up as the liquid turns into a gas. It's on the horizon as we speak. You'll still use a compressor but there will be twin tanks, one for the liquid, an expansion pre-compressor and then the compressor filling another cylinder but having to work less to do it since the gas in the pre-compressor is already quite a bit above that of the atmosphere. the end result is less time to fill cylinders, exponentially more expanded gas volume and much higher velocities. When you see the densities involved you'll see the huge potential when applied to airguns. The energy needed to get the gas to liquid state is high but then we're already using a lot of energy to compress the gas into cylinders - not one got into high performance airguns because it was cheap.

Pellet design will also change as you can see it now. The diabolo pellet is just about relegated to lower velocities and newer designs are starting to be very effective at super velocities. There is no reason very stable pellets can get shot much faster than the highest available today. Only now are pellets moving away from very old designs meant for rather low powered airguns. Like the metallic cartridge industry leaps and bounds are ahead and only stuck in yesteryears see everything through the prism of what was a decade ago.

Give it a couple of years to develop the consumer grade products but it will change everything for airgun technology.

Last edited by SharedShots; 03-12-2022 at 8:29 AM..
Old 03-12-2022, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Barrel length doesn't do all that much for the velocity, they aren't burning anything to get pressure. Look at the pneumatic guns, even with short barrels their velocities are just about equal in pistol and rifles. Note I'm saying pneumatics not pre-charged although in some way all airguns are precharged.

Longer barrels often restrict velocity, once the air charge is released in a pneumatic that is all there is, no burning of powder to build pressure over a longer barrel, the pressure is decreasing the instant the air charged is released. Different powders can burn at different rates and over longer barrel lengths.

If you take a 20" airgun and lop off 2" from the barrel you'll likely not see any difference worth mentioning. For springers and single charge penumatics barrel length has a great deal to do with ease of use (cocking effort) since 40 lbs and often more are needed to charge the gun. The shorter the barrel the more difficult. Cocking assistance shrouds are sold to help with that. For the single charge pneumatics, under levers also aided cocking and allowed for rigid barrels to increase accuracy and avoid the barrel droop common to break barrel guns.

The big deal with increasing velocities and consistent power levels over higher number of shots is with multiple plenums and dual regulation. Gone are the days of velocity dropping after a single shot except for really high weight pellets and poorly engineered guns. Velocity drops after a single shot have passed some time ago.

We're seeing serious development in compressors dedicated to airguns. Already, they are affordable except for cheapskates that want everything but want to pay nothing for it.

Its all about pressure because higher pressures mean guns don't have to get larger. Regulators are becoming more efficient and that really helps.

One more innovation of sorts headed our way is liquid air storage. While it has to be a single gas (not plain air) the volume per cylinder goes way up as the liquid turns into a gas. It's on the horizon as we speak. You'll still use a compressor but there will be twin tanks, one for the liquid, an expansion pre-compressor and then the compressor filling another cylinder but having to work less to do it since the gas in the pre-compressor is already quite a bit above that of the atmosphere. the end result is less time to fill cylinders, exponentially more expanded gas volume and much higher velocities. When you see the densities involved you'll see the huge potential when applied to airguns. The energy needed to get the gas to liquid state is high but then we're already using a lot of energy to compress the gas into cylinders - not one got into high performance airguns because it was cheap.

Pellet design will also change as you can see it now. The diabolo pellet is just about relegated to lower velocities and newer designs are starting to be very effective at super velocities. There is no reason very stable pellets can get shot much faster than the highest available today. Only now are pellets moving away from very old designs meant for rather low powered airguns. Like the metallic cartridge industry leaps and bounds are ahead and only stuck in yesteryears see everything through the prism of what was a decade ago.

Give it a couple of years to develop the consumer grade products but it will change everything for airgun technology.
tuning airguns has been a big part of the hobby, and of course balancing the amount of air used for each shot with the desired velocity and barrel length is part of it. many guns like my own will gain velocity without changing the amount of air used, with a slightly longer barrel, and of course at some point the pellet is going to slow down if the force of air pushing it is no longer greater than the friction of the pellet traveling down the barrel.

but again, i am not remotely interested in whether airguns can perform at the level of powder burners. i want to push cheap pellets at 500-900fps.

Last edited by theLBC; 03-12-2022 at 3:39 PM..
Old 03-13-2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
tuning airguns has been a big part of the hobby, and of course balancing the amount of air used for each shot with the desired velocity and barrel length is part of it. many guns like my own will gain velocity without changing the amount of air used, with a slightly longer barrel, and of course at some point the pellet is going to slow down if the force of air pushing it is no longer greater than the friction of the pellet traveling down the barrel.

but again, i am not remotely interested in whether airguns can perform at the level of powder burners. i want to push cheap pellets at 500-900fps.
That's the sweet spot. Have you tried the Beeman's pellet sizer? When I used to shoot my FWB124 Custom I found that the pellet sizer could really close up groups and it was so easy to do and entire tin could be resized in a short time. Cheap pellets became almost match grade.

Airguns will eventually fall prey to the ever increasing desires for high velocity and larger caliber projectiles. That will be a shame because once regulations and laws get passed to practically include them in the restrictive firearms laws in CA there won't be any going back. IMO, that day is approaching sooner than we think. The people dieseling their springer guns are the ones that will make it easy for that to happen because once you put that drop of oil into the cylinder it practically becomes a firearm but hey, super velocity and all that.

The same thing will happen to rimfires as soon as a next generation of 22WSM uppers hit the market. Everyone gets shafted.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 03-14-2022, 2:37 PM
Banned

This is a great discussion. Lots of info I never knew before
Old 03-14-2022, 2:42 PM
Banned

Sniperalez, I’m in the same boat. Nearest fill station for me is 45 minute drive, one way. I’d love to buy a big bottle but it doesn’t pencil out for me without having a comp on hand to fill when I want to.
Old 03-16-2022, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
That's the sweet spot. Have you tried the Beeman's pellet sizer? When I used to shoot my FWB124 Custom I found that the pellet sizer could really close up groups and it was so easy to do and entire tin could be resized in a short time. Cheap pellets became almost match grade.

Airguns will eventually fall prey to the ever increasing desires for high velocity and larger caliber projectiles. That will be a shame because once regulations and laws get passed to practically include them in the restrictive firearms laws in CA there won't be any going back. IMO, that day is approaching sooner than we think. The people dieseling their springer guns are the ones that will make it easy for that to happen because once you put that drop of oil into the cylinder it practically becomes a firearm but hey, super velocity and all that.

The same thing will happen to rimfires as soon as a next generation of 22WSM uppers hit the market. Everyone gets shafted.

yeah, popularity is going to result in scrutiny, and then regulations or restrictions. i hope it doesn't happen, but that is why i bought now.
Old 03-17-2022, 9:12 AM
Banned

Now is the time to buy
Old 03-17-2022, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Why do you think scary looking .22 WMR (I assume you meant .22 Mag / WMR) rifles are going to cause something that decades and decades of scary looking .22 LR rifles didn't cause?
Old 03-23-2022, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

this thread sort of wandered...so since it came up...

https://youtu.be/__Nm1-N8N9c
Old 03-24-2022, 6:23 AM
Banned

how dare you post a video of an air rifle shooting long distance
Old 03-24-2022, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyJ View Post
how dare you post a video of an air rifle shooting long distance
There are definitely some higher power air rifles out there, but after three or four shots they are on the compressor again for 5 minutes or more. You could argue anything "long range" lobs them in there, but something 700-800 foot pounds (at the muzzle) for three shots is not comparable to something 3,000 foot pounds for however many you want.

It is pretty cool, but is it the norm or is it a party trick like shooting a balloon at 1000 yards with a 9mm revolver?

Old 03-24-2022, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This gun has made hits at 1400 yards.

However, to put it in perspective... it is maybe a 120 foot pound gun... probably less than a .22 LR. If the normal Altaros M24 has 60 FPE and the souped up special modded version has double... what does it have left at 1400 yards?

one foot pound? Would that even tickle a rabbit? Probably not. The good news is that you do not have to worry about regulations on these. Why would anyone care about something with maybe rimfire energy. Or something with decent handgun energy but only 3 shots? I think people bragging that air will be banned soon because reasons... are reaching. Let's just enjoy our air guns. They are not powder burners, not even close.

Last edited by crufflers; 03-24-2022 at 9:32 AM..
Old 04-02-2022, 4:47 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: San Diego, National Socialist Democratic Republic of Facistfornia

As an entry level PCP gun ,right now the regulated Air Venturi Bull Pup at $400.00 is hard to beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYyQnal-Ew&t=5s

-Abraham Lincoln,a summation of a speech given at the Lyceum in 1838
=======================================
"Revolution against tyranny is the most sacred of duties"
- Benjamin Franklin -1775
=======================================

Last edited by bplvr; 04-02-2022 at 4:51 PM..
Old 04-27-2022, 4:50 PM

I have the Air Venturi Nomad compressor and an 88 cu-ft CF tank. Love the Nomad. It has a couple downsides but it's amazing for its size.
Old 05-02-2022, 9:19 AM

Alkin W31 vertical here and no complaints thus far. It works hard keeping my two Impact’s topped off with dual bottles…