Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:17 AM

Those are pretty full-on reticles, I have to say. For an LPVO.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
^^^ Nice setup.

FWIW, here is the Delta Stryker's DGMR reticle, the simpler one with the finer lines. I'm borrowing this image from someone's post on SnipersHide.

I think the width of the lines here is 0.11 Mrad. (The DSMR reticle has 0.18 Mrad lines.) So these are about 1/3 skinnier than the DSMR's.

For comparison, the Razor Gen II-E 1-6x has 0.15 Mrad wide lines at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock lines (near center) and a 0.18 Mrad line at 12 o'clock. In case anyone cares.

Nice and clean, BDC
Old 08-06-2022, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Vortex Razor GenII JM-1 BDC MOA reticle looks VERY similar with one less hash under. Super clean and clear AF. Mine is on a LaRue upper with Stealth barrel so it was heavy already and 3 ounces is not bothering anyone. IMHO
Old 08-06-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Nice and clean, BDC
Yeah. It's good for more distant, or precise, target shooting. Probably hunting as well. Probably too fine for a "combat" reticle. The dot makes up for that, but it could fail.

BTW, for another comparison, to RDSs this time: at 6x the dot size equates to 0.38 MOA, and at 1x it's about 2.2 MOA. If I'm doing my math correctly.

I'm starting to appreciate the idea of the more robust Vortex 1-6x Scopes. And I think they've been proven in combat over in Afghanistan. Makes me think of older vs modern free-float handguards. The trend for the last 5-10 years, at least in the commercial market, has been to go lighter and sleeker. Quad rails fell out of favor with the average Joe. "Fat, uncomfortable tanks." But if you take one of the classic Larue, DD, or KAC quad rails, I bet you could stomp on one and not hurt it. I wouldn't try that with my BCM Alphas, SLRs, or even the one Geissele I own. Maybe they're stronger than they look, but still. I don't know.
Old 08-06-2022, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
classic Larue, DD, or KAC quad rails, I bet you could stomp on one and not hurt it. I wouldn't try that with my BCM Alphas, SLRs, or even the one Geissele I own. Maybe they're stronger than they look, but still. I don't know.
A newer Mlok LaRue upper with the light or heavy barrel feels like one solid piece of steel.

Yeah JM BDC Hash marks going down from center 100 yards are about 300, 400, 500, 600 and the bottom fat vertical line is like 800 depending on ammo IIRC.
Old 08-06-2022, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Those are pretty full-on reticles, I have to say. For an LPVO.
Full featured for sure, but IMHO a LPVO is made for quick target acquisitions shots at multiple distances, so Im kinda puzzled why someone or Vortex would opt for the MIL reticle. While I do prefer a FFP MIL over a FFP/SFP MOA I don't think a LPVO is anywhere close to fill the role of a precision optic. It's almost as silly as someone entering their 2022 Toyota Prius into a classic mussel car show.

Last edited by Munny$hot; 08-06-2022 at 2:49 PM..
Old 08-07-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Vortex Razor GenII JM-1 BDC MOA reticle looks VERY similar with one less hash under. Super clean and clear AF. Mine is on a LaRue upper with Stealth barrel so it was heavy already and 3 ounces is not bothering anyone. IMHO
The Vortex Viper Gen II I had originally was similar also. I don't remember what the reticle was named. It had Mrad hashmarks below for elevation and also few to the right and left for windage as well.

My Stryker's intended use is on a BCM upper with their original 410SS 16" "Recce" barrel. Not a lightweight exactly. So I figured I'd save some weight where I can. It's got a Sig Alpha3 mount. I think it's one of the lightest on the market. 4.8 oz on our digital kitchen scale. So I believe the combined weight is around what a Razor Gen II 1-6x weights.

I don't think anyone's saying the Stryker is a Razor-beater. Or even an equal. Usually the it's just touted as "Best sub-$1000 LPVO" by the web influencers and pundits.

I posted this pic on another post here somewhere:

Old 08-07-2022, 11:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't think anyone's saying the Stryker is a Razor-beater. Or even an equal. Usually the it's just touted as "Best sub-$1000 LPVO" by the web influencers and pundits.
I really wanted to know if it was. I also do not want to disparage Japanese glass by any name, I love SWFA's.

If it is Japanese, it is not a Monstrum... but it is kind of hilarious how Monstrum and Sightmark, etc... are touted periodically. There are tons of cheapo scopes that probably work for a while if you get a good one. They will die IMHO. Maybe at the worst time. I do not mean the Stryker.
Old 08-08-2022, 1:44 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to appreciate the idea of the more robust Vortex 1-6x Scopes. And I think they've been proven in combat over in Afghanistan.
Yes, not issued but personally purchased by dudes that didnít need the approval from higher ups. An LPVO was very advantageous to have in AFG.
Old 08-08-2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper3142 View Post
This or similar is also my choice.

The reticle allows for elevation and windage holds.

Love the MRAD reticle, I'd want to get down to the details though. For me, I'd want that center dot to be small enough to be accurate at distance...completely different goal thats someone wanting the scope primarily in red dot 1x mode. I get it. Its hard for a scope to "do it all"
Old 08-09-2022, 12:23 PM

I kinda prefer the BDC reticle myself, for this type of scope. Assuming that "standard" ammo will be used. You can make the longer shots more quickly.

The Mrad one is probably right if you're using non-standard ammo, handloads, etc, and you want to pull out the ballistic calculator or Mildot Master for doped hold-overs. Seems this way to me anyway.