Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2020, 3:45 PM

Default PPT Off roster guns no factory 10 rd mags a no go.

Went in to Turners to do a PPT for a Hellcat and they informed me that they couldn't do it because Springfield doesn't make a 10 rd mag for the hellcat and even if the mags are blocked permanently that company policy states it has to be a factory 10 rd mag from the manufacturer.
Old 09-15-2020, 3:56 PM

interesting, go to another FFL. I have been able to get a PPT on one and they just charged me $10 to block the mag.
Old 09-15-2020, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

That's what you get for dealing with turners. Bullshyt company policies and atrocious customer service.
Old 09-15-2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ricer View Post
interesting, go to another FFL. I have been able to get a PPT on one and they just charged me $10 to block the mag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
That's what you get for dealing with turners. Bullshyt company policies and atrocious customer service.
I didn't pick Turners the seller did.

I ended up going to another FFL today. I blocked the mags myself but they hit me with a $10 storage fee and $10 signature fee on top of the dros. I didn't argue because I just wanted to get the transfer over with.

Last edited by Kymar; 09-15-2020 at 4:29 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 4:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Turner's has a lot of bad policies.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 09-15-2020, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymar View Post
I didn't pick Turners the seller did.

I ended up going to another FFL today. I blocked the mags myself but they hit me with a $10 storage fee and $10 signature fee on top of the dros. I didn't argue because I just wanted to get the transfer over with.
Which FFL?

Signature fee?

iTrader
Old 09-15-2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Which FFL?

Signature fee?
Just a local one here. All of them around here seem to do something different with different fee's it's really weird. Some will make us buy a lock others just ask if we have a safe and such. Really weird.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Just a local one here. All of them around here seem to do something different with different fee's it's really weird. Some will make us buy a lock others just ask if we have a safe and such. Really weird.
Out them.
Old 09-16-2020, 7:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Went in to Turners to do a PPT for a Hellcat and they informed me that they couldn't do it because Springfield doesn't make a 10 rd mag for the hellcat and even if the mags are blocked permanently that company policy states it has to be a factory 10 rd mag from the manufacturer.

Sorry for the issue you experienced trying to process your PPT. We will process off roster PPTs as long as we have a magazine to use to facilitate the transfer. If the transfer of said handgun also includes the transfer of an >10rd mag we will not process the sale. With new releases like that you could see how there being no availability of 10 rd mags and no blocked mag present could raise some questions. I have passed this along to our management team to ensure we are all on the same page regarding blocked mags, they do not need to be OEM 10 or factory blocked. If it holds 10 or less we are good.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill | Temecula
| Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas | Sacramento | Fresno | Modesto | Roseville | Stockton | Santa Clarita | Fresno |Bakersfield| West Bakersfield | Palm Desert | Tucson|

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneTurnersGuy View Post
Sorry for the issue you experienced trying to process your PPT. We will process off roster PPTs as long as we have a magazine to use to facilitate the transfer. If the transfer of said handgun also includes the transfer of an >10rd mag we will not process the sale. With new releases like that you could see how there being no availability of 10 rd mags and no blocked mag present could raise some questions. I have passed this along to our management team to ensure we are all on the same page regarding blocked mags, they do not need to be OEM 10 or factory blocked. If it holds 10 or less we are good.
I had the blocks in hand to block them and even asked them if I epoxied them so they were permanent if they could do it and I was told no. These were the factory 11 and 13 rd mags that I had blocks to put in them to make them 10 rd magazines whether permanent or not. I was planning on installing them before doing the transfer but I was the buyer and the seller required me to supply the mag blocks so they weren't installed yet. But as I said before they told me even if they were permanently blocked they wouldn't do the transfer unless it was a factory made 10 rd magazine.

I had even called before going there to ask if there was any restrictions I needed to know about doing the PPT to make sure I had everything ready to go and nothing was mentioned about even needing a magazine. I'm just really annoyed because I had to drive about 20 miles to the nearest Turners and wasted half of my day just to have to go somewhere else that charged me more money and had to reschedule to another day. I'll never do a PPT at Turners.
Old 09-17-2020, 6:06 PM

So you went to turners to do a ppt on a gun with hi-caps. The magazines were not yours yet so technically there was going to be an illegal transfer of hi-caps, there is your problem. Even if u did block them it has to be permanent, and generally done before you walk into the dealer.
Old 09-17-2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post
So you went to turners to do a ppt on a gun with hi-caps. The magazines were not yours yet so technically there was going to be an illegal transfer of hi-caps, there is your problem. Even if u did block them it has to be permanent, and generally done before you walk into the dealer.
There wasn't going to be an illegal transfer of "High Cap" magazines because they were going to be blocked before the transfer was to be made. The law just states that the mags can only hold 10 rds max whether they are blocked or not and doesn't state that they have to be permanently blocked or a 10 rd magazine from the manufacturer.

The seller of the gun was never in Turners. I showed up early and asked them what needed to be done with the magazines and that's when they told me that they wouldn't do it. I offered to have them permanently blocked. I was trying to do it legally.
Old 09-20-2020, 8:39 AM

Please also tell your guys that you DON'T need a numeric combo safe at home to buy AR lowers. I have a CA approved Stack-on cabinet and you refused to sell me lowers without buying a cable lock for each one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneTurnersGuy View Post
Old 09-20-2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czakita View Post
Crap process by Turners, but no longer surprised.

OP please share the name of the FFL you ended up going to that tacked on the extra weird fees. The CG community can benefit from this information.
I'm not going to put the other FFL on blast because they've always been really good to me and maybe the fee's are ok to add. They may be charging them now because it's hard times but I was under the impression that they can charge up to $10 over dros for "administrative fees" per gun which I have heard a lot of FFL do. But the fees I was charged were a "signature fee" and a "30 day storage fee" so my dros and fees came to $57 total.

I was just a bit shocked at the price because I had been told by the owner before that they only ever charge dros for PPT. They may have changed their policy since the pandemic has made it hard for some shops to get inventory in stock. I didn't argue the price because by this time I was just happy to have someone willing to do the transfer. It just would have been nice to have been given a heads up before hand. Has anyone else been charged fees like this?

I just looked up the faq again on the State Of California's website and this is what it has to say about PPT dros and fees:

Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request but may charge a fee not to exceed $10.00 per firearm for conducting the transfer. For example:

For private party transfers, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $47.19 ($37.19 DROS fee and $10.00 PPT fee), and $10.00 for each subsequent firearm.

If the transaction is not a PPT the dealer may impose other charges as long as this amount is not misrepresented as a state fee. When settling on the purchase price of a firearm, you should ask the dealer to disclose all applicable fees.

So to hear $57.19 I was shocked because I was under the impression they can't charge over $47.19 for a PPT.

Last edited by Kymar; 09-20-2020 at 3:41 PM..
Old 09-20-2020, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hard to help you if you hide your location.
Old 09-20-2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Hard to help you if you hide your location.
I don't know what my location has to do with any of it. My initial post was about Turner's and others have asked about the FFL I ended up using and the additional fees. It doesn't matter where you are in California all of the fee's are suppose to be the same per the California website and when it comes to PPT's.

As I said most FFL's I contacted would tell me $47.19 for dros and I know some would charge you for a new gun lock even if you had a safe or provided a lock. I posted what the California website has listed they can charge for PPT's and I just asked if anyone else had been charged any extra fee's as I was or if it is even legal. It doesn't appear to be so but I could be wrong. I'm not about to burn a bridge with an FFL ultimately over a $10 fee when Turner's refused to do it completely and another FFL avoided dealing with it.