Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 PM

monterey county takes months and I mean months to get through your application mine took almost a year to get!
Old 07-15-2018, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg64 View Post
monterey county takes months and I mean months to get through your application mine took almost a year to get!

There was a time it took that long, I also know folks that was less than 60 days from app to issue. It depends not only on staffing but DOJ, at time it was taking a year was when DOJ was taking that long for their returns from livescan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 PM

So I was reviewing the firearms policies of a lot of different corporations and had a question for the other CCW holders of Monterey County. So it is stated in the conditions printed on he back of our cards that we:

”Shall not possess weapon anywhere prohibited by law or sign.”

So what is the general consensus? Many of the businesses listed do not have posted signs on the doors, but may have them posted in the customer service area (like Target does). The sign is possibly posted, but not accessible from the outside. If something goes down and you draw in a store like this, how do you think it would be handled? I haven’t looked at Target’s sign in any of the three MC Target stores, but I presume if it is an official policy, it will be posted. Since one can not be reasonably expected to search out the policies of every store, and make sure that it is not posted in some inconspicuous way, do you think this rule applies? My opinion is that if it isn’t posted on the door, I’m legal to carry, but if it is posted on the door, by Monterey rules, our permits would be invalid.

This doesn’t mean I am going to stop carrying in these locations, but I will be extremely careful to not expose my weapon.

Any LEOs want to weigh in?

Old 07-31-2018, 7:18 PM

My CCW permit was finally signed, and i was able to pick it up today. How about other fellow calgunners waiting for their permit? Did you get any updates?

For fellow calgunners that already have theirs. How do you put your permit in your wallet? I thought it was a joke when someone here mentioned it was huge, but now i know that its true. Did you laminate it then folded it in half so it fits your wallet? Any suggestions?

By the way, i patiently waited, and i did not call asking for updates at the MCSO in the last few weeks. I was surprised to get the call and email yesterday telling me its approved.
Old 07-31-2018, 8:20 PM

@Bugman - The deputy who signed mine told me the back was only informational for me. Per his instructions, I took a photo of both sides, trimmed it, and laminated the whole thing so it is card sized.
Old 07-31-2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloncito View Post
@Bugman - The deputy who signed mine told me the back was only informational for me. Per his instructions, I took a photo of both sides, trimmed it, and laminated the whole thing so it is card sized.
I will try that, but this is more like 2 cards together. The smallest i can get it trimmed is 3.5 inch by 4.5 inch.
Old 07-31-2018, 9:04 PM

Folded mine in half and cut/trimmed to 3 1/4 x 2 1/8
Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 PM

Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
I will try that, but this is more like 2 cards together. The smallest i can get it trimmed is 3.5 inch by 4.5 inch.

Costco card for scale...

Last edited by Peloncito; 07-31-2018 at 10:38 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 6:21 AM

Great! that makes sense now when folded like that.
Old 08-01-2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Great! that makes sense now when folded like that.

Scan the front and save as a .jpg file or similar. Then paste it into Word or Photoshop (or whatever is available), shrink it to any size you want, and print it on regular paper and laminate it. I keep the original at home. Copy centers (like UPS) will do all this for you at a small cost if you need help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 9:03 PM

Default Copy of CCW Permit?

Does anybody know for sure that you can carry a copy of your CCW permit rather than the original??
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
My CCW permit was finally signed, and i was able to pick it up today. How about other fellow calgunners waiting for their permit? Did you get any updates?
I haven't heard anything since my May 16th interview and my references haven't been contacted yet. I figure if my references haven't been contacted within the next couple weeks I'll give MCSO a call to make sure it's still in the queue. After that I'll leave them alone until I'm called in.

Congrats on your CCW!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayej View Post
Does anybody know for sure that you can carry a copy of your CCW permit rather than the original??
The CCW is a piece of paper. They recommended that I laminate it. So yes, make copies. And it is just a little too big for the wallet. Pretty sad, really. But I think it is the state’s fault rather than the Sheriff. Maybe someone else knows about that. I have non-resident permits from three states, and they are all nice plastic cards with photos.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentdude56k View Post
I haven't heard anything since my May 16th interview and my references haven't been contacted yet. I figure if my references haven't been contacted within the next couple weeks I'll give MCSO a call to make sure it's still in the queue. After that I'll leave them alone until I'm called in.

Congrats on your CCW!
Thanks! Hopefully you will get yours soon too.

The clerk that is processing the CCW applications now seems very nice and accomodating when i talked to her on the phone and when i picked up my permit. It does not hurt to ask after waiting a few more weeks.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 AM

Default Question about references on application

Ive live here in monterey since march and am getting ready to apply for my concealed carry. I saw i need refrences .....thats isnt family..are in laws considered family? also do refrences have to be in state as im new here? Im also a honorably discharged veteran...does this help speed up the process? thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog86 View Post
Ive live here in monterey since march and am getting ready to apply for my concealed carry. I saw i need refrences .....thats isnt family..are in laws considered family? also do refrences have to be in state as im new here? Im also a honorably discharged veteran...does this help speed up the process? thanks
I don't think it matters if it's out of state references. They email them a questionnaire. Probably better if not family member as they noted that in the instructions.
Old 08-03-2018, 8:31 AM

Here's another question to fellow Monterey County residents. Do you know what is the type of duty ammo the MCSO or MPD use? I was wondering because when i looked around in the CCW discussion boards, there's a few advice that you should try to use same ammo as the local law enforcement uses. The reason is that in civil litigation in case you ever get involved in an incident, the lawyers cannot use the kind of ammo against you since you use the same as the police in your area.
Old 08-03-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Here's another question to fellow Monterey County residents. Do you know what is the type of duty ammo the MCSO or MPD use? I was wondering because when i looked around in the CCW discussion boards, there's a few advice that you should try to use same ammo as the local law enforcement uses. The reason is that in civil litigation in case you ever get involved in an incident, the lawyers cannot use the kind of ammo against you since you use the same as the police in your area.
I dont know but its an interesting topic and now id like to know. I would think any ammo available wouldnt be an issue otherwise it would be prohibited. I personally like 180gr hydrashok
Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 PM

Has anybody successfully made modifications to their firearms on their permit? Curious what the processing time is.
Old 08-07-2018, 7:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

They have the new glock 17M and use gold dot

Old 08-07-2018, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Congrats on your CCW!

I think you’re still in the common timeline
Probably be contacted soon I’d guess

Old 08-07-2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
They have the new glock 17M and use gold dot

Thanks for the information Tripper!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Looks like they are getting caught up with things

Old 08-09-2018, 9:26 PM

March 31 - Submitted CCW Application
June 27 - Interviewed
August 7 - Approved
Old 08-10-2018, 8:49 AM

Here's my timeline also...

March 9 - submitted application
April 18 - Interview
July 30 - Approved
Old 08-10-2018, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldveteran View Post
March 31 - Submitted CCW Application
June 27 - Interviewed
August 7 - Approved
Interesting...sounds like I should definitely give them a call to make sure my application didn't get nudged out of the stack. My references haven't heard anything yet.

Quote:
Applied: 3/23/18
Original interview date: 6/26/18 (earliest available at the time)
Rescheduled interview date: 5/16/18
Congrats on your CCW!

Last edited by silentdude56k; 08-10-2018 at 8:51 AM.. Reason: Added my timeline
Old 08-10-2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ELKY View Post
Has anybody successfully made modifications to their firearms on their permit? Curious what the processing time is.

Don’t modify except to make it “fit” better. Any trigger jobs that decrease the pull weight can get you in trouble according to my LEO friends. You can modify the trigger position on a gun to make it more ergonomic if you have shorter fingers.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Don’t modify except to make it “fit” better. Any trigger jobs that decrease the pull weight can get you in trouble according to my LEO friends. You can modify the trigger position on a gun to make it more ergonomic if you have shorter fingers.

I meant modifying their permits. Adding/deleting firearms.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I meant modifying their permits. Adding/deleting firearms.

Ahhh... got it. My bad. I have not done this yet.

Old 08-11-2018, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I was going to change 1 gun but decided to wait for renewal

Old 08-13-2018, 3:41 PM

Default CCW Permit Class

Just wanted to recommend Valley Firearms Training to anyone looking for a good CCW class. They offer an entry level course and advanced for those who already have a CCW. Dennis is very knowledable and they rent out Laguna Seca gun range to qualify which is a much better set up than going to Markley's in Watsonville.

https://valleyfirearmstraining.com
Old 08-14-2018, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

I’m told they are all caught up. If you’re still waiting give them a call.
Estimated livescan to issue is inside a month I think. The longest holdup is awaiting responses from references or other agencies.
Don’t be afraid to call if you’ve been waiting longer than a few weeks from when you did your livescan

Old 08-15-2018, 11:11 AM

I see advice and comments here and even in other threads about not modifying CCW guns. In my case i replaced the plastic guide rod on my Ruger LC9 to a stainless steel one. Is that going to be an issue?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I see advice and comments here and even in other threads about not modifying CCW guns. In my case i replaced the plastic guide rod on my Ruger LC9 to a stainless steel one. Is that going to be an issue?

My Neices husband has an DEM flat faced trigger on his G43. Nothing was said to him about it.

Mark
Old 08-15-2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I’m told they are all caught up. If you’re still waiting give them a call.
Estimated livescan to issue is inside a month I think. The longest holdup is awaiting responses from references or other agencies.
Don’t be afraid to call if you’ve been waiting longer than a few weeks from when you did your livescan
Gave them a call today - my application was in the previous investigator's stack. I was told my references should now be contacted within

Thanks for the updates Tripper!
Old 08-16-2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
They only care if you change the performance of the gun. You should be ok if the mods are for ergonomics only. Its not that it's illegal, but an ADA in a criminal trial, or a plaintiff attorney in a civil case might use that as juice against you.
Old 08-16-2018, 8:14 PM

Has anyone wondered why the California medical cannabis cards look so much nicer than our CCW cards?

VS

Just sayin...
Old 08-21-2018, 3:26 PM

Yeah, i get your point. The CCW of California is on plain paper. The Arizona CCW is even better since it is a real ID style card.
Old 08-22-2018, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Has anyone wondered why the California medical cannabis cards look so much nicer than our CCW cards?

Just sayin...

They make a lot more money on mj

Old 08-22-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
They make a lot more money on mj

I hear you, but I think a lot more at stake with CCW permits. It’s not like it would be very difficult to forge one. I think it’s far more important to have more secure CCW cards. It’s just more evidence that our state really doesn’t care about anything except for money. They put on a show for the liberal masses, but when it comes down to it, all they really care about is the money.