Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 12-10-2010, 8:57 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Handgun Safe Reviews

I was asked by a LEO that works with CCW’s to sticky some of my research on handgun safes that are suitable for use in a vehicle. Here are the ones I have looked at so far and my thoughts on them. I will try to add more as I see them. If you want to check any safe to see if it is DOJ approved, you may do so here. Please feel free to add reviews for other safes that you are familiar with including a picture and a link to their website. Also, please keep discussion in this thread to a minimum. Thank you and enjoy!

Stack-On Model # QAS-1304-
This mounts with a plate that is attached to a solid surface. The safe can be removed from the plate. It does not appear to have a cable lock option. It is CA DOJ approved. If you had the room in your car, this would be a good safe to mount under the front seat as you would be able to easily access it.
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security/products/60

Gunvault has a number of options that are TSA approved and some that are DOJ approved. Their website does not list which ones are DOJ approved but this can be looked up on the roster.

The GV-Nano 200 has a key lock and is made of steel construction. It is designed to be secured with a cable. Cons, it requires a key and is small. The factory does not mention mounting it, but reviews say that there are mounting holes on the back. This box is TSA approved but does not appear to be on the DOJ roster.
http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html

The Microvault is similar to the Nano vault except a little larger with a slightly heavier construction and it has an electronic combination lock. It is also available in a biometric model. All versions of this safe are CA DOJ approved
http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/microvault.html

The GV 1000 series safes are actually very nice. They are a little more pricy but appear to be solid. They have electric locks. They can be mounted either to a surface or with an optional cable. Their biggest drawback for me is the size. There are not a lot of places to put this safe in my truck but could be a great option for someone with a little more room. It is available in standard and deluxe package, either an electric combo you can put in without looking or biometric. The standard model I found is available locally at Harbor Freight Tools for $120. All of the models are DOJ approved. http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...ni-deluxe.html

Another option. Not clear how it mounts but it is DOJ approved. It is a bit chunky and I am not overly crazy about the looks of it.
http://www.sportlockllc.com/cgi-bin/...tion&key=00061

Old 12-10-2010, 8:58 AM
Administrator

V-line has several options such as this one. They are DOJ approved and can be secured with a cable which does not come with the safe. They appear to be solid and of good quality.

Console Vault makes a number of safes that could be very nice if you have one of the cars that fit their product. The biggest drawback is that they are not DOJ approved. I think they have many well made products and would be a good option for someone if they were not specifically looking for something that was DOJ approved.
http://www.consolevault.com/

Old 12-10-2010, 8:59 AM
Administrator

Saved for future posts

Old 12-10-2010, 8:59 AM
Administrator

Saved for future posts...

Old 12-10-2010, 9:00 AM
Administrator

...Saved for future posts

Old 12-10-2010, 9:07 AM

Thanks for the awesome thread. Was looking for a thread like this. Prob gonna pick up a gunvault
Old 12-18-2010, 3:31 PM
In Memoriam

Although these portable gun cases are DOJ approved for storage, if they are mounted does this turn them into an illegal glove compartment storage situation?
Old 12-18-2010, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Although these portable gun cases are DOJ approved for storage, if they are mounted does this turn them into an illegal glove compartment storage situation?
That is a very good question. I would say that it would be a grey area like a crossbed toolbox in a truck. I was asked to put this together by a LEO for CCW holders that may go somewhere where it is not practical or they can not carry their weapon. I think that either way, if you were to use the cable to mount it rather than bolts, you would be ok.

Old 12-24-2010, 3:06 PM

I have to wonder if the cosole safe is not DOJ approved for more political reasons...like our illustrious leaders frown upon you carrying a gun in your car...
Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Gunvault also has a Nano 300 with a combo lock that sometimes gets poor reviews due to the cheap combo lock they use.

Sentry also has a small lockbox with cable for the car called the AS-1 Autosafe. But it seems a little too tall for under seat placement. They also have a P005C Compact Safe with cable.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-15-2011, 8:05 PM

Check out the Life Jacket, polycarbonate is around $29 and steel is around $39. Models for pistols, shotguns and AR-15s. DOJ approved

See: http://www.botachtactical.com/lifjacpis.html

for full size safes check out Cold Steel Safes in Roseville/Redding. I prefer Cannon safes. You can alway pick up a trade in safe at Cold Steel. http://www.coldsteelsafe.com/HOMEPAGE.html I would recommend to not buy junk, buy quality and a safe that you have room to grow into. Safes have a habit of shrinking over time

Zeppe

Last edited by jolumia; 02-15-2011 at 8:09 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 03-04-2011, 8:17 AM

I wouldn't mind having something I could mount under a table, bed, shelf, etc, that when I open it would keep the pistol in a holstered condition with the door open. I like the Microvault controls but other than bolting a holster in there on my own, I wonder if there are any that are already manufactured that way.
Old 03-09-2011, 9:20 AM

Check this out:

Franzen Armloc II Pistol Case

This is a really versatile pistol case that locks with either a combination lock, cylinder lock, or both. It has a carry handle built in, and it comes with 2 mounting brackets - one for the bed frame for quick access to your SD weapon, and another for more permanent mount to a wall, car trunk, etc.

When you want to take the case with you, just unlock it & detach it from the mounting bracket via the thumbscrews below the padding.

This thing is thing is rock-solid too. Impossible to break in to (without power tools, anyway).

When mine isn't mounted to the bed frame, it's going with me to the range. This is a VERY high quality pistol case for less than $100.

(No, I don't work for the company. I'm an IT guy from Sacramento.)

Quote from product listing on seller's site: "meets all of the FAA requirements for Commercial Airliners."

Last edited by Rick76; 03-09-2011 at 9:25 AM..
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Sun Welding sells the Franzen Armloc II Pistol Case and the Safe Box.

www.sunweldingsafes.com

Armloc Magnum Handgun Box
•FAA & GSA Approved
•Nite-Lite for night-time operation.
•Locks onto any bed frame, wall or in Vehicle to prevent theft, yet is easily portable.
•Kevlar®-hardened space age composite case.
•6 x stronger than steel by weight
•Guaranteed against breakage.
•Personalized combination lock with 1000 possible combinations.
•Keyed lock for maximum security

Dimensions: (Outside) 6 3/4”W x 2 /12”H x 9 1/2”D
(Inside) 13 3/4” x 12 3/4” x 3 1/2”
Weight: 8 lbs

SafeBOX™
Security and portability for your valuables in your home, office or vehicles.
•Heavy duty steel construction
•Can be locked in or out of sleeve
•Includes protective insert, mountable sleeve, lock set with two coded keys, carry strap, and mounting hardware
•Easily transferred between home, office, station and vehicle with additional sleeves
•Safes can be keyed alike for multiple location security
•Two year warranty

Dimensions: (Outside) 6 3/4”W x 2 /12”H x 9 1/2”D
(Inside) 5 3/4”W x 2”H x 8”D
Weight: (SafeBox) 2.25 lbs
(SafeBox & Sleeve) 4 lbs
805-584-6678 Phone
info@sunweldingsafes.com
www.sunweldingsafes.com
Old 01-14-2017, 10:36 PM

well i have seen many vehicle gun safes in the market. But its up to you to choose which gun safe will be better for your vehicle. So choose it wisely coz you take vehicle outside and the security for handgun is essential.

Last edited by patpeter; 03-26-2017 at 2:42 AM..
Old 01-15-2017, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

This morning's necropost award goes to ... patpeter. Six years - wow.

Congratulations!!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Administrator

seriously. Kind of odd for a first post too

Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 AM

Hi, There are many companies like Global Safe Corporation, Safemark, Hospitality safe are designing safes with latest technologies like electronic digital function, fully motorized with two locking bolts, emergency openings by electronic override & mechanical key, ADA compliant illuminated keypad, easy programmable battery-powered electronic locking system, fingerprint detection, automatic keypad locking system when the incorrect combinations are tried out with different sizes like 15" laptop safes, 17" laptop safes, drawer safes, wall safes and many more.

Last edited by ericcrosby; 05-20-2017 at 3:30 AM..
Old 05-29-2017, 6:25 AM

I'm going to buy my first gun So, thanks for the useful information!
Old 06-07-2017, 8:57 AM
moriartiarmaments

Default Its amazing

Handgun safes are now must thing to keep for gun owners. Its incredible !
Old 06-15-2017, 9:05 PM

Question ARE CA DOJ SPPROVED SAFES MANDATORY??

I was wondering if we have to use a ca doj approved handgun safe? What happens if you don't? Will there be any legal problems if you don't use a ca doj approved safe?

What pistol safes do you recommend to hold 2 full size and 1 medium pistol?

I was looking at this but it's not ca doj approved

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Handg...gun+safe&psc=1

This is one of the ones I am thinking of getting since it is approved.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV20...gun+vault+safe

Old 06-22-2017, 4:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swat626 View Post
I was wondering if we have to use a ca doj approved handgun safe? What happens if you don't? Will there be any legal problems if you don't use a ca doj approved safe?

There are a few different things in play. DOJ approved counts for getting around a trigger lock when you buy a new weapon. I always just sign the affidavit so I do not have to buy a lock. I have several safes that are DOJ approved.

Additionally, IF your firearm is stolen AND IF is is used in a crime, there are penalties for you IF it was not in a DOJ approved safe OR locked using a DOJ approved trigger lock (or cable lock or similar). This is impossible to prove on their part being it is so easy to break these things. I cut one off with a Leatherman at the range one time when I forgot the key.

I hope this helps. As a disclaimer, this was my understanding of the law last time I looked at this issue. Things could have changed or I could have misinterpreted something. If you are concerned, I encourage you to do your own research.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 AM
Administrator

I just bought a pair of Hornady Rapid Safe 2700KP. My intended use is home, but these things could work for in a vehicle.

They were hard to find for a while; found them on sale at Midsouth Shooters.

They are labeled as CA approved safety devices.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Any suggestions for a CA DOJ approved gun safe especially for pistols, lets say around 10 pistols? I don't own any rifle and not going to buy any in the future, the gun safes on the market all have at least half of their space designated for long guns, which is kind of waste for me.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2017, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'd get a cube-style safe intended for document/jewelry storage. Tons-o-choices. A jewelers safe could be heavy, but that's good.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microtough View Post
Any suggestions for a CA DOJ approved gun safe especially for pistols, lets say around 10 pistols? I don't own any rifle and not going to buy any in the future, the gun safes on the market all have at least half of their space designated for long guns, which is kind of waste for me.
Thanks in advance!
The stack-on metal gun cabinets are doj approved and inexpensive and come in many sizes.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swat626 View Post

Swat626,

I actually just bought that safe from Stealth and it is CA DOJ approved now. Works great and got it fast from Amazon!
Old 11-13-2017, 4:55 PM

I just ordered the cube safe (it's the smallest one they make) from Sturdy Safe. I drove out to their facility (Fresno) to see it for myself. Seems like it's put together very solidly. It'll fit 8 pistols for sure (4 on each shelf), if you use a handgun holder tray thing.
Old 11-13-2017, 5:50 PM

Default SentrySafe QAP1BE

I picked one of these up from Costco for about $129.00 but ended up returning it. Mine did not pop open as it should and required me to reach over and pry it up to the point where it activated the opener (a hydraulic piston,) attached to the door.

**Also after Googling the unit about my problem I found a video defeating the vault with a metal zip tie ( I was able to duplicate the process with no practice and without damaging the safe in any way.) Not secure enough for a kid in the house which is the whole point of needing the safe.
Old 11-13-2017, 6:15 PM

The Hornady Tri-Point LockBox is well made (16Ga Steel), reasonably priced, and can be easily modified to use a hardened chain rather that the steel cable furnished to secure your weapon in a vehicle. Works for me.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:54 PM

I would just pick up 2 of these safes: http://amzn.to/2z714IX

You could fit 5 in each and be done for $280 with 10 pistols stored. Seems like a good idea to me!