Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-08-2022, 4:02 PM

Default SA MC Operator wait or no?

So I’m caught between a Springfield MC Operator 1911 and the Sig 1911 Nitron Rail. The 1911 is my gun of choice and these two options fit the bill in terms of a production 1911. I did direct order the Operator back in January, and was told it’ll be a 6-12 month wait. My industry sources tell me that it’ll probably take longer than that. I also have heard tremors that SA’s customer service when down and that their QC is also in question.
Now, I have ran several 1911s, ranging from Citadels/ RIA, SA, and Kimber (never again) and staccatos. Only got hands on the Sig but no range
Experience. I know SA is a series 70 and the Sig is an 80, which opens a whole mother discussion but the difference is
Minute to me. I have the holster set ups that’ll work for either so that is also not a worry.
The questions I have are: can anyone else confirm the experiences from SA? Should I jump ship and pick up the Sig? Anyone have any insight on the Sig vs SA 1911s?

If anything, this is just to help kill the anxiety of waiting…this gun is going to be my “go to work” gun and I need to get to the range with it :P
Old 05-08-2022, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default CalGuns' answer - get BOTH.

My personal choice - 1911? You'll not go wrong with the MCO... (Btw, I have the MCO - it has been a reliable workhorse, indeed. And with the rail - very extensible, ie., WML, etc.). Taken it to tactical/defensive classes where we were shooting out to 150-yards from the holster. Sweet trigger makes the job a bit easier...

_
Old 05-08-2022, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

The only thing I don’t really like about the Sig 1911s is the Sig centric slide, I’ve shot a few different Sig 1911s and they performed well.

I have a MC Op, really good gun but it had the locking MSH and I had to spend some money to replace it. Not a big deal added a MSH with a magwell and a 19 lb spring. The un1911 Sig slide would most likely have me waiting for the SA though.
Old 05-08-2022, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Springfield
Old 05-08-2022, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SA…
Old 05-08-2022, 6:57 PM

Thanks for the input all! I suppose I shall be patient . I do agree with Ridrailg; I probably will end up getting both at some point. But the MCO would be my workhorse gun. I do like the feel of the Sig but I agree, that slide just makes fitment a pain. Best way I can explain it; it’s like driving an old 69 fastback vs the newer stangs. Both fast, built for speed and torque, but the new just doesn’t have that “tried and true” classic feel. The MCO has been on my list since I saw it, ran several 1911s in the mean time (again, Kimber, never again).

Hey Stormvet, was there any fitment issues swapping the MSH? I know the msh on SA’s can be a little problematic.
Old 05-08-2022, 7:14 PM

Have you looked at the Kimber ?
Old 05-08-2022, 9:34 PM

Yes…and I was not impressed. The desert warrior was appealing because it had similar features, but after a poor performance and poor support with a Kimber Carry I had a while back…I’m not dealing with them again.
Old 05-08-2022, 9:53 PM

Weird, I will take a Kimber over anything in a 1911.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT112 View Post
Thanks for the input all! I suppose I shall be patient . I do agree with Ridrailg; I probably will end up getting both at some point. But the MCO would be my workhorse gun. I do like the feel of the Sig but I agree, that slide just makes fitment a pain. Best way I can explain it; it’s like driving an old 69 fastback vs the newer stangs. Both fast, built for speed and torque, but the new just doesn’t have that “tried and true” classic feel. The MCO has been on my list since I saw it, ran several 1911s in the mean time (again, Kimber, never again).

Hey Stormvet, was there any fitment issues swapping the MSH? I know the msh on SA’s can be a little problematic.
None at all, I used a two piece Ed Brown MSH with Magwell lined up and fit perfect.

MC Op/EB magwell along with my TRP.
Old 05-09-2022, 8:58 AM

From the two I'd get the SIG. From first hand experience my two spring fields purchased 5 years apart had quality control issues. My two SIG 1911's both run great out of the box. One SIG was purchased in 2015 and one this year.
Old 05-09-2022, 9:51 AM

Hard choice both are great 1911's
Old 05-09-2022, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
None at all, I used a two piece Ed Brown MSH with Magwell lined up and fit perfect.

MC Op/EB magwell along with my TRP.
Those are damn Nice bro ~
Old 05-09-2022, 12:16 PM

@Stormvet
Thanks! that photo just exacerbated my waiting :P but beautiful none the less!

@Antonio
Yeah, I was taken back. i had purchased a Kimber TLE II couple years back and it had issues feeeding, and the slide/frame fit was on par with my citadel 1911. I was getting stove p[ipes and FTF. That and it was VERY mag selective. And to top it off, it started corroding (to be fair, I was living in Hawaii so everything gets corroded) with surface rust. After calling Kimber, they took it back in and "repaired it". Came back with the same issues. I sold it off and never looked back. Nothing against those that use them, just that they aren't for me.
Old 05-09-2022, 6:41 PM

Doesn't hurt to put your name on the list.
Old 05-13-2022, 9:34 PM

So, to end the story: I ended up picking up a Sig 1911 railed, stainless steel finish. I had called SA to update my order info and to inquire about my order. After speaking to one of the production people and my connections I got in the industry, it doesn’t look like I’ll be getting an MC operator any time this year. Disappointing but understandable, so to hold me over until I get my Operator, I’ll give the Sig a run. Don’t get me wrong, it was #2 on the list, and Im still keeping my order, but having two 1911s isn’t a problem .
Old 05-13-2022, 10:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats on the new blaster, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.