Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growacett View Post
You need to upload good cause for renewal?
It was required when I renewed two years ago. They just implemented Permitium so the process was all new at the time. I just wanted to check and see if anyone who has done it recently had anything they could share.
Old 03-23-2022, 5:13 PM

Permit came in the mail today. Uploaded Training cert 3/7.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:48 AM

Default SDSO CCW Currently Issued 6330 as of 3/25/22

SDSO CCW Currently Issued 6330 as of 3/25/22 (overall Δ per day: +3.44; last ~6m Δ per day: +5.29).

Thats 1.92 per 1,000 residents for San Diego County.

By way of comparison, in 2019 San Diego was at 0.34, and Shasta was at 45.5. Among counties with comparable populations, in 2019 Orange County was at 3.73, Riverside at 1.24, and San Bernardino at 3.24.

(CA county data sourced from https://web.archive.org/web/20210817...32198382.html; if you have more recent data, please post.)
Old 03-25-2022, 1:34 PM

Great info!

Surprised to see we are ahead of Riverside. Is Shasta the highest in the state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdb View Post
SDSO CCW Currently Issued 6330 as of 3/25/22 (overall Δ per day: +3.44; last ~6m Δ per day: +5.29).

By way of comparison, in 2019 San Diego was at 0.34, and Shasta was at 45.5. Among counties with comparable populations, in 2019 Orange County was at 3.73, Riverside at 1.24, and San Bernardino at 3.24.

(CA county data sourced from https://web.archive.org/web/20210817...32198382.html; if you have more recent data, please post.)

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 03-25-2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Great info!

Surprised to see we are ahead of Riverside. Is Shasta the highest in the state?
The comparative info I have is from 2019; the situation may have changed. In that data (referenced by and available through this article), Fresno has the highest number of permits issued, at 17,500 -- but Shasta has the highest per‑capita, at 45.6 per 1000 residents.
Old 03-25-2022, 3:35 PM

Sheriff Gore aims to golf and collect stamps. Time will tell if we elect a new Sheriff worthy of the robust independent spirit of the San Diego citizens. Chances are we'll vote for a stooge who promises us free stuff.
Old 04-04-2022, 8:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Sheriff Gore aims to golf and collect stamps. Time will tell if we elect a new Sheriff worthy of the robust independent spirit of the San Diego citizens. Chances are we'll vote for a stooge who promises us free stuff.
That should motivate SD CGNers to know everyone running and their position on CCWs and the 2A generally. Then pick the best (or least bad) candidate to support (volunteer, donate).
https://www.kevinjensen4sheriff.com/
Re-elect Los Angeles County Sheriff Villanueva!

https://alexvillanueva.org/
240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.
Old 04-11-2022, 8:06 AM

Anyone know if they plan to make these permits longer in duration? Many of us are coming up on our second renewal already... which is a tad annoying. Wish they'd move to at least a 3 year permit.
Old 04-11-2022, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
That should motivate SD CGNers to know everyone running and their position on CCWs and the 2A generally. Then pick the best (or least bad) candidate to support (volunteer, donate).

I just completed my 4 hour re-qual Saturday. My instructors (one of which is a rep for San Diego County Gun Owners) are endorsing Martinez. They even state that she has been a proponent of CCW while serving as the Under Sheriff.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:03 AM

How can someone who is under the Sheriff be a proponent for CCW? They have no power to make decisions. Has she ever sued the Sheriff? Is she for diversity, buggery, apple pie, baseball, maybe she's written papers on these subjects?
Old 04-11-2022, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Voters here will vote for the "approved" candidate that will promise to "keep us safe".

Coming out publically for more CCW permits will be the kiss of death here.
Old 04-11-2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
How can someone who is under the Sheriff be a proponent for CCW? They have no power to make decisions. Has she ever sued the Sheriff? Is she for diversity, buggery, apple pie, baseball, maybe she's written papers on these subjects?
The point of my post was not an endorsement. Only to provide information that was passed to me from a couple of people who have a definite interest in the outcome of this election.

Maybe proponent was not the right choice of words - may "supportive" is a better choice of how I understood their message.
Old 04-11-2022, 2:17 PM

I have a feeling we will be missing Sheriff Gore in a year or so.
Old 04-11-2022, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Anyone know if they plan to make these permits longer in duration? Many of us are coming up on our second renewal already... which is a tad annoying. Wish they'd move to at least a 3 year permit.
I wouldn't count on it. My understand is that would have to happen at the state legislature. And I just don't see them being very motivated to do this. They don't want to make this easy for us and they don't want to make it cheap for us.

Fighter Pilot
Old 04-12-2022, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
I wouldn't count on it. My understand is that would have to happen at the state legislature. And I just don't see them being very motivated to do this. They don't want to make this easy for us and they don't want to make it cheap for us.
I believe there is a bill being drafted to address this - there is a snowball's chance of it passing, but I do believe the attempt is being made anyways.
Old 04-14-2022, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Agreed!

If anything, after we get some relief from SCOTUS, expect CA to go the other way and make permits harder, less convenient, more expensive, etc.

Old 04-14-2022, 6:15 PM

Quick recap of my CCW permit renewal. I have had a CCW permit since 2018 and have renewed twice (April being my second renewal).

This second time renewing was the smoothest and quickest. Pretty much all done thru the online system.
  • Tues. - Submitted my renewal online, uploaded all docs (including good cause)
  • Weds. - Took my 4 hour class with James Murphy of PPFT https://www.yelp.com/biz/ppft-person...ning-san-diego . I have worked with him since 2018 and I highly recommend. Uploaded training certificate same day.
  • Thurs. - Got email saying my renewal permit was approved. They will mail out the new permit closer to the expiration of my current permit (early May).

So from the time I submitted online to when I got my renewal approved was about 3 days! In terms of process, this is about as quick and efficient as I could expect.

Thank you San Diego Sheriff's License Division for making the renewal process so easy.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-15-2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Villain View Post
  • Weds. - Took my 4 hour class with James Murphy of PPFT https://www.yelp.com/biz/ppft-person...ning-san-diego . I have worked with him since 2018 and I highly recommend. Uploaded training certificate same day.
  • Thurs. - Got email saying my renewal permit was approved. They will mail out the new permit closer to the expiration of my current permit (early May).

So from the time I submitted online to when I got my renewal approved was about 3 days! In terms of process, this is about as quick and efficient as I could expect.

Hope this helps!

Wow, this is great Super Villain, only took three days to renewal approval.

How many days from your renewal submission to your license expiration?

I am planning on this, my permit expires in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Wow, this is great Super Villain, only took three days to renewal approval.

How many days from your renewal submission to your license expiration?

I am planning on this, my permit expires in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I submitted my renewal about 3.5 weeks before my permit's expiration date. Got an email saying that they will be mailing out new permits as close to your current permit's expiration date. So if I don't get my new permit by end of this month I will follow up with them.

Also bear in mind that I submitted all the documentation that they needed before they reviewed my application. This makes it go fast as they never had to ask me for anything else.
Old 04-19-2022, 8:45 AM

Quote:
I submitted my renewal about 3.5 weeks before my permit's expiration date. Got an email saying that they will be mailing out new permits as close to your current permit's expiration date. So if I don't get my new permit by end of this month I will follow up with them.

Also bear in mind that I submitted all the documentation that they needed before they reviewed my application. This makes it go fast as they never had to ask me for anything else.
Good to hear, my second renewal is coming up in the fall, glad to hear they have streamlined the process. Definitely keep us updated if any hiccups occur.
Old 04-21-2022, 8:00 PM

Got my physical permits in hand!

Lets recap:
  • My permit was set to expire in early May
  • So in Mid-April I decided to start my renewal process. About 3.5 weeks before my expiration.
  • Thurs. - Got email saying my renewal permit was approved.
  • So for me, about 3 days from start of online submission to being notified I was approved.
  • Exactly one week later (7 days) I received my physical permits in the mail.

The entire process for me was under 2 weeks which is pretty awesome. I never even had to go into the Sheriff's office.

As for the permits, I got the credit card style permit and also the paper permit, but this one was not laminated. Which made it easier to fold away into my wallet.

The only small downside was that my new permit expires about 3 weeks earlier than my last one. The only way to really mitigate this would have been to submit my renewal about 2 weeks before it was due. However that just feels like cutting it too close for comfort...and even then your new permit would still expire a week earlier than your last one.

I wished they did permit renewals like car registration. If I pay my car registration early it doesn't change the date my new registration expires. Everything is just post dated.

Baby steps I guess. Pretty happy with the way the system is going right now. Maybe within the next 2 years we can get a Supreme Court ruling where Self Defense is valid for good cause or better yet good cause is not even required.

Last edited by Super Villain; 04-25-2022 at 11:56 PM..
Old 04-22-2022, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Got my physical permits in hand!

Lets recap:
  • My permit was set to expire in early May
  • So in Mid-April I decided to start my renewal process. About 3.5 weeks before my expiration.
  • Thurs. - Got email saying my renewal permit was approved.
  • So for me, about 3 days from start of online submission to being notified I was approved.
  • Exactly one week later (7 days) I received my physical permits in the mail.

The entire process for me was under 2 weeks which is pretty awesome. I never even had to go into the Sheriff's office.

As for the permits, I got the credit card style permit and also the paper permit, but this one was not laminated. Which made it easier to fold away into my wallet.

The only small downside was that my new permit expires about 3 weeks earlier than my last one. The only way to really mitigate this would have been to submit my renewal about 2 weeks before it was due. However that just feels like cutting it too close for comfort...and even then your new permit would still expire a week earlier than your last one.

I wished they did permit renewals like car registration. If I pay my car registration early it doesn't change the date my new registration expires. Everything is just post dated.

Baby steps I guess. Pretty happy with the way the system is going right now. Maybe within the next 2 years we can get a Supreme Court ruling where Self Defense is valid for good cause or better yet good cause is not even required.
Yeah, I found that annoying, too. There is no reason why they can't just tack the 2 years onto the expiration date without shortening it. Hopefully that is just a glitch in their system that they will eventually work out.
Old 04-28-2022, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

An increase to 6561!

https://www.sdsheriff.gov/i-want-to/...eapons-license

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdb View Post

https://www.kevinjensen4sheriff.com/
Re-elect Los Angeles County Sheriff Villanueva!

https://alexvillanueva.org/
240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.
Old 05-01-2022, 8:03 PM

A buddy of mine who has a CCW and has renewed it at least twice now wanted to get his wife a ccw . He went on the web site/page and filled out the app and what ever you do . When he went to get a interview date he said the earliest was in 2029 ???

I said that can't be right and that he must be mistaken , he says no that's was the soonest he could get one . I said I'd ask here if that sounded reasonable lol well it's not reasonable but is it true . Are they years out on there appointments now for new CCW's ?

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

If you have the time check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE or a picture of Mohamed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwpwP_fIqY
Old 05-01-2022, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God View Post
A buddy of mine who has a CCW and has renewed it at least twice now wanted to get his wife a ccw . He went on the web site/page and filled out the app and what ever you do . When he went to get a interview date he said the earliest was in 2029 ???

I said that can't be right and that he must be mistaken , he says no that's was the soonest he could get one . I said I'd ask here if that sounded reasonable lol well it's not reasonable but is it true . Are they years out on there appointments now for new CCW's ?
That makes no sense at all given recent reports.
Things have been getting better actually.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-01-2022, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Perhaps a glitch in the matrix. I say try again and if it still gives a date that far out, grab it and give the clerks a call. And also keep checking back for improvement. Everyone has been reporting really good lead-time improvement.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-02-2022, 4:42 PM

Quote:

I think this is an artifact of the fact that SDSO uses the permitium software for part of their process but they don't seem to use/rely on it for the scheduling portion. Just take the first appointment the system offers. That gets you in the system. Then you can check back on line or by phone to see if something earlier is available. Keep at it and the process should only take a few months.

Old 05-02-2022, 6:29 PM

Thanks guys , he called in to the clerk today and they are only 6 to 8 weeks out not 7 years .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

If you have the time check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE or a picture of Mohamed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwpwP_fIqY
Old 05-03-2022, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad to hear it!

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-10-2022, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Everyone still firm on Martinez?

Is this because she'll issue CCWs and not based on anything else?

I know SDCGO is one issue voter, and they explicitly say that.
Old 05-10-2022, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
Everyone still firm on Martinez?

Is this because she'll issue CCWs and not based on anything else?

I know SDCGO is one issue voter, and they explicitly say that.

I don't think anyone is firm on that here.
They carry a lot of weight of course, they got CCW to be a thing in San Diego after all.

I guess it's a if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The process has been improving. Sticking with the devil you know right?

It would suck to lose ground.

Old 05-13-2022, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys , he called in to the clerk today and they are only 6 to 8 weeks out not 7 years .
A friend of mine just submitted this week, and the first date that came up is in October. Five months sounded about right given things I've heard from people. So he heard 2 months? I could believe that everything on the application doesn't take very long in a lot of cases, but they can still only see x-number of people per day.