Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I do not know of any that's left standing in Vietnam -

All of the memorials and military cemeteries were quickly destroyed after April 30th, 1975 -

Our families exhumed my uncle and cousin's grave - We were some of the fortunate ones able to do that -

A photo set of the former military cemetery in Bien Hoa, Vietnam -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134764...57622616552530

This memorial was erected in 1995 -

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/vie...s-memorial.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-right-way View Post

I was told they have no memorials to the south vietnamese soldiers in vietnam. Do they have some in the states?

Last edited by Saigon1965; 08-13-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-17-2015, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyyke View Post
Oh man... this post gave me chills. We are living the exact same life brother, not just the identical arguments from mom and dad, but the rich aunt, the ban on clothes with "violent images" (I'm guessing skulls are off limits too right?) and we're even from the same area (I grew up in Walnut lol). My extended family is very anti-gun... though weirdly my grandma on my mom's side is completely cool with it. I guess having survived WWII puts a different spin on things.

I personally think our parents' generation, especially coming out of Taiwan, were force fed a very authoritarian education. Taiwan in the 50's and 60's was no democracy, it was military autocracy. Self defense was probably not encouraged, as self defense is the gateway drug to revolution and rebellion. Don't act, trust the cops, trust the leaders, trust the party etc. It's no surprise that they have the idea that guns are for "cops, soldiers, or gangsters only"; that is what they were taught by a government seeking to pacify and control them. Even my dad aknowedges this, and he's hard core "Blue" as they call it in Taiwan.

I bought my first gun in college and moved home at 24. Man you should have seen my dad's face when he saw my Romy-G AK, I swear a crack pipe would have been better. From 24 to moving out at 26 was a total ban on all firearm related activities. Now that I live alone (well, with gf and cat) my 2A rights have been restored and the rentals and I agree to disagree. Doesn't help that my sister is a bleeding heart liberal.
Agreed, this thread is pretty interesting, mainly because it has attracted individuals from all corners of Asia, meeting together under shared causes. They should really start some Asian gun rights groups; because there are groups for Jews, Africans, LGBT, etc. but Asian groups are nowhere to be found.
Old 08-17-2015, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I read of a few of you and while I am in a different boat, I still qualify to write here.

Was born in Texas (Dallas) to Italian parents. Was Brought back to Rome, IT right after birth (father was in Italian Navy, was called back for duty after a 2 years long mission here in the US).

I am not sure of what happened to me when I was born, but I think the planets lined up. I have notebooks of when I was 4 years old and I Was already drawing guns and soldiers.

Served in Italian military (drafted) but always wanted to be an American (which I was by birth).

Only when I turned around 40 (now 47) I got the strength to get a gun license in Italy and started collecting wildly. I mean, 70 firearms.

Then I got pissed at Italy for what it is and fled the place with wife and kids, selling the entire collection. Moved here to SoCal and will hardly move away now.

Italians are in the majority, anti-gun pussies.
There is however a minority (of a few millions) who are nuts about guns.

Last edited by SoloDallas; 08-17-2015 at 1:55 PM..
Old 08-23-2015, 6:54 PM

I just caught up on this thread and man it is very interesting. I can relate to almost every bodies story. I try not to mention anything about guns when I'm around my family, extended families, or my GFs families. It sometimes comes out though because there's a lot of military in my family. If it gets brought up all the guys are asking a million questions and even the dads start talking about guns. All while the moms glare at us. Everybody is showing everybody pictures of their guns. It actually bridges the gap between us younger guys with our uncles. Then the uncles all start talking about old military stories. Its pretty cool. Trying to hide the fact that you have a million guns from your mom and aunties though is another story.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2015, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Please tell me that yall got to see this "glorious" thread?

Time to bring Asians into the spotlight...

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 09-07-2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Please tell me that yall got to see this "glorious" thread?

Time to bring Asians into the spotlight...
Christ I couldn't get through the first 5 posts.
Old 09-11-2015, 2:49 PM

First gen Vietnamese-American! Born and raised in Commiefornia! Started shooting rifles in JROTC. 2nd son to enlist in the US Army right out of high school as an Infantryman which shocked the hell outta my mom and telling me "Why did you tell me your leaving now and haven't told anyone that you were joining!? Your brother is in we don't need you to go too!" Had itchy trigger fingers for anything I could get my hands on in the sandbox lol. Anti-gun in my family are the sisters except for my oldest 1, shes cool about it even when I'm cleaning all my toys in the living room with my nephew next to me.
Old 09-11-2015, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
Christ I couldn't get through the first 5 posts.
I stuck through just to be able laugh and call people "Gwai Lo"

EDIT: What happened to ScorpioIV's post?

Old 10-13-2015, 6:21 AM

The thread isn't cold enough for me to not jump in.

1.5 generation American of Korean extraction. I was pretty late getting into firearms - in the early years all of my "firearms handling" was in the form of Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, all the typical PC cafe staples. After college, I served for 2 years in the ROK (Republic of Korea) Army because I had to in order to keep my South Korean dual-citizenship and be able to visit the country in the future. As a civilian I only own your typical handgun, shotgun, etc. The first firearm I ever saw up close and personal was an M16A1, belonging to my mom's older brother, my sole maternal Uncle. In South Korea, ever since the 1950-53 Korean War, mandatory military service is required of almost all able bodied men of appropriate age for a period of 2-3 years. Suffice to say, around the Cold War era, plenty of South Korean men wanted some payback against the Communists. To not serve is to be seen as weak, unmanly.

My Uncle fought in Vietnam in the '70s as part of the Republic of Korea Marines sent there, and managed to keep his service rifle. It was ROKMC property technically, but they wrote it off and let my Uncle have it, because after two and a half years of jungle warfare and who knows how many firefights, it was pretty banged up and nonfunctional. Junked, scrap metal pretty much.

Years later a business opportunity in the 80s eventually made his family and mine move to Argentina, where he got a job in the auto industry as a mechanic/CNC machinist. He still had the messed up bits and parts of his old service rifle, so he custom made some of the missing/damaged pieces and ordered the rest from Argentine/Brazilian manufacturers. Good thing too - that frankenstein M16A1 has scared off would-be burglars, car thieves and also rioters during one of Argentina's rough political protests. Even a corrupt unemployed cop at some point trying to rip him off. Asian immigrants had it pretty rough back then in Argentina, so a firearm was definitely necessary in the '80s, probably even more so today with all the drug and gang related violence. My direct family left in the early '90s. Last time I visited my relatives, the "family heirloom" was still going strong and in full working condition. End of my family lore, I figured this would be an interesting post to some history buffs or M16/AR15 nuts on here.

Last edited by Hushed; 10-13-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

Filipino here, and I am into guns just about as much as I can afford, lol.
It hurts to see Marcos brought up. F*ck that mo&^$%f*cker. He had everyone register their guns on good faith. Then passed a law that you couldn't take your gun out of your home. Then did door-to-door confiscations. Then declared martial law. Then him and his uberb*tch queen embezzled more than $10 billion dollars (not pesos) treating the nation like a f*cking credit card buying super high-end art, Real Estate in New York, London, Rome, Hawaii, income properties and mansions and sh*t... Debt went from $2 billion to $30 billion under his rule while the rest of the Philippines suffered and starved. Philippines is still working off that debt today. And the f*ckers wife is still a congresswoman and kids are a senator and governor. Politics is wayy f*cked up over there. F*ck 'em, I'm changing the subject...

Been shooting since first grade. My uncle was a competitive shooter and got my first experiences with him when my fam visited Canada, on very rare occasion. As Wookie put it, the Valley was real bad back in the day (San Fernando Valley). My cousin's pad got lit up one night and so they bought a couple shotguns and semi-auto's on top of his dad's revolvers. I remember my fam went to visit and my cousin was on the roof with a dual tone Remington shotty, welcoming us into the house Played with BB's and pellet rifles/pistols til I could afford the the real thing. It was like my very first physics lesson as a kid (except for The Magic School Bus). When I learned BB's aren't some superpowered magic bullet, that they can be stopped with a proper backstop, I wanted to join the NRA... like that Simpsons episode where Homer's half-bro gave Bart a lifetime NRA membership.. I wanted one too. My whole family likes guns, or they don't mind them - or at least us guys have to keep them separate from the alcohol at gatherings, lol. Of course, no ammo is ever present, lol. I try to convince every anti I run into that guns aren't the source of the problem, there's an underlying cause. But anti's can't get past this stage...

-Ronald Reagan

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChiron View Post
Filipino here, and I am into guns just about as much as I can afford, lol.
It hurts to see Marcos brought up. F*ck that mo&^$%f*cker. He had everyone register their guns on good faith. Then passed a law that you couldn't take your gun out of your home. Then did door-to-door confiscations. Then declared martial law. Then him and his uberb*tch queen embezzled more than $10 billion dollars (not pesos) treating the nation like a f*cking credit card buying super high-end art, Real Estate in New York, London, Rome, Hawaii, income properties and mansions and sh*t... Debt went from $2 billion to $30 billion under his rule while the rest of the Philippines suffered and starved. Philippines is still working off that debt today. And the f*ckers wife is still a congresswoman and kids are a senator and governor. Politics is wayy f*cked up over there. F*ck 'em, I'm changing the subject...

Been shooting since first grade. My uncle was a competitive shooter and got my first experiences with him when my fam visited Canada, on very rare occasion. As Wookie put it, the Valley was real bad back in the day (San Fernando Valley). My cousin's pad got lit up one night and so they bought a couple shotguns and semi-auto's on top of his dad's revolvers. I remember my fam went to visit and my cousin was on the roof with a dual tone Remington shotty, welcoming us into the house Played with BB's and pellet rifles/pistols til I could afford the the real thing. It was like my very first physics lesson as a kid (except for The Magic School Bus). When I learned BB's aren't some superpowered magic bullet, that they can be stopped with a proper backstop, I wanted to join the NRA... like that Simpsons episode where Homer's half-bro gave Bart a lifetime NRA membership.. I wanted one too. My whole family likes guns, or they don't mind them - or at least us guys have to keep them separate from the alcohol at gatherings, lol. Of course, no ammo is ever present, lol. I try to convince every anti I run into that guns aren't the source of the problem, there's an underlying cause. But anti's can't get past this stage...

I have heard about marcos and guns. What gets me is these damn liberals ( most of them here) dont get it.
Old 10-19-2015, 3:12 PM

Filipino-American here. My folks aren't really keen on guns having grown up in Tondo (one of the worst slums if not the worst in Manila). I just got into firearms recently myself and saving up for my first purchase (SA 1911 Loaded). I plan to move to the Philippines so I just want to prepare myself for any future problems. My parents said they were able to get by fine without a gun but I'd rather not take the chances. Nice to see other Asian-Americans into firearms.
Old 10-24-2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuke Komiya View Post
Filipino-American here. My folks aren't really keen on guns having grown up in Tondo (one of the worst slums if not the worst in Manila). I just got into firearms recently myself and saving up for my first purchase (SA 1911 Loaded). I plan to move to the Philippines so I just want to prepare myself for any future problems. My parents said they were able to get by fine without a gun but I'd rather not take the chances. Nice to see other Asian-Americans into firearms.
Isn't the Philippines well known for its black/grey gun market? So many gunsmiths both certified and uncertified earning a living making firearms. You could just shop over there, save the legal hassles of shipping your firearms internationally I bet. I hear you can buy a hand made, tricked out 1911 or full auto AR-15 for peanuts over there. It does lead to an increase in gang warfare and other criminals getting their hands on serious hardware, but then again, it should also mean a heavily armed citizenry to prevent or respond to such crimes, especially in light of a possibly corrupt or ineffective police force.

The gunsmiths over there have been making 1911s for generations, ever since the Filipino Resistance against Imperial Japan and the Filipino-American War before that.

Last edited by Hushed; 10-24-2015 at 7:53 PM..
Old 11-23-2015, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i knew that calguns was heavy on the asian side, but didn't realize many would be taiwanese based on this thread.

my mom is mostly against guns cause she sees it as waste of money. and listening to random asian news about how one box of ammo blew up entire house somewhere so she hates that i stockpile ammo but i buy only when it is on sale (i am trying to save money like they taught me...)

dad is neutral on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-23-2015, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i knew that calguns was heavy on the asian side, but didn't realize many would be taiwanese based on this thread.

my mom is mostly against guns cause she sees it as waste of money. and listening to random asian news about how one box of ammo blew up entire house somewhere so she hates that i stockpile ammo but i buy only when it is on sale (i am trying to save money like they taught me...)

dad is neutral on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-28-2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post

dad is neutral on this.
There's nothing more sensationalist than the Taiwanese/Chinese newspaper. Between horror stories of drug user kids and the cancer causing food of the week, it was a constant spectre hanging over my childhood.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloDallas View Post
I read of a few of you and while I am in a different boat, I still qualify to write here.

Was born in Texas (Dallas) to Italian parents. Was Brought back to Rome, IT right after birth (father was in Italian Navy, was called back for duty after a 2 years long mission here in the US).

I am not sure of what happened to me when I was born, but I think the planets lined up. I have notebooks of when I was 4 years old and I Was already drawing guns and soldiers.

Served in Italian military (drafted) but always wanted to be an American (which I was by birth).

Only when I turned around 40 (now 47) I got the strength to get a gun license in Italy and started collecting wildly. I mean, 70 firearms.

Then I got pissed at Italy for what it is and fled the place with wife and kids, selling the entire collection. Moved here to SoCal and will hardly move away now.

Italians are in the majority, anti-gun pussies.
There is however a minority (of a few millions) who are nuts about guns.
Maybe you could have started the "Italians with guns thread?"
Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 PM

My Parents are Korean and migrated to the states in the 70s to goto college, after my dad served in the ROK. I was born in North Carolina. Guess I grew up around rednecks....and guns.

Both parents were against firearms..."just call the police". I was to only focus on studying.

Purchased my first handgun during grad school. It was a USP 40. I didn't warm up to the forty, as it was the caliber de jour, so sold it for a Springfield Loaded. Ended up selling it to get money for my car hobby (fixing a Range Rover classic and Alfa Romeo Graduate). I later got into Skeet (trap) with my 870 and whitetail hunting with my Benelli 7mm-08/308 R1.
Most friends back home didn't see the need for a 223 caliber (only good for varmint hunting) or more capacity, as a second shot was unlikely when hunting. Some used 7.62x39, but it was no better than a 30-30 and others preferred a 243 for flatter trajectory.
It was not until I moved to Cailfornia, that I noticed the AR and AK tacticool craze. I grew up plinking with my scoped Marlin795...but now got the itch for an AR....so just ordered one from Wisearms.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy View Post
My Parents are Korean and migrated to the states in the 70s to goto college, after my dad served in the ROK. I was born in North Carolina. Guess I grew up around rednecks....and guns.

Both parents were against firearms..."just call the police". I was to only focus on studying.

Purchased my first handgun during grad school. It was a USP 40. I didn't warm up to the forty, as it was the caliber de jour, so sold it for a Springfield Loaded. Ended up selling it to get money for my car hobby (fixing a Range Rover classic and Alfa Romeo Graduate). I later got into Skeet (trap) with my 870 and whitetail hunting with my Benelli 7mm-08/308 R1.
Most friends back home didn't see the need for a 223 caliber (only good for varmint hunting) or more capacity, as a second shot was unlikely when hunting. Some used 7.62x39, but it was no better than a 30-30 and others preferred a 243 for flatter trajectory.
It was not until I moved to Cailfornia, that I noticed the AR and AK tacticool craze. I grew up plinking with my scoped Marlin795...but now got the itch for an AR....so just ordered one from Wisearms.
Is ROK north or south Korea?
Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is ROK north or south Korea?
South Korea is the Republic of Korea or ROK.

North Korea is Democratic People's Republic of Korea or DPRK.

Simple google search, my fellow Calgunner. I won't be that *** that uses the Let Me Google That for You link. . .

Republic of Korea

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Old 12-08-2015, 8:50 AM

Thanks on the clarification. In some states republic is put in front of anti-gun states like New Jersey so for some reason I thought it could have been north korea.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Notice how N. Korea took S. Korea's name and added "Democratic People's" so I can see the confusion. Dems = Socialism. Even the official DPRK website states they are a socialist country.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Coming from a white guy, I see more and more Asians at the range. Makes me happy because my stereotypical impression was that most Asians are anti-gun. Hoping the trend increases. It seems like to me that Chinese coming to this country should take the opportunity to own firearms. Make Chairman Mao roll over in his grave by empowering the people. No offense intended of course.

I'd also like to see more average Hispanics at the ranges in the SF-Bay Area.
Old 12-08-2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:

I was told they have no memorials to the south vietnamese soldiers in vietnam. Do they have some in the states?
Late to the party, yes, there's one in Westminster, Orange County - next to main library and Westminster PD - memorial dedicated to South Vietnamese Army and American soldiers.

http://www.westminsterchamber.org/in...140&Itemid=611
Old 12-09-2015, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Coming from a white guy, I see more and more Asians at the range. Makes me happy because my stereotypical impression was that most Asians are anti-gun. Hoping the trend increases. It seems like to me that Chinese coming to this country should take the opportunity to own firearms. Make Chairman Mao roll over in his grave by empowering the people. No offense intended of course.

I'd also like to see more average Hispanics at the ranges in the SF-Bay Area.
I think we will have less liberal voters as we get more Asians and latinos to the range. Self-defense is the most basic right there is and to preserve oneself and family. I know this probably plays into a stereotype, but I do know quite a few Asians into shooting and many got into it after being victims of crimes.

My buddy origionally is from Vietnam. I think he came to the states at 3 since his dad fought for the south Vietnamese army. I asked him when I first met him ( like a moron I know) why Asians make such great americans. He was saying that many Asian countries have or are sort of dictatorship. He said after you live through that you appreciate and value freedom much more. His dad and mom came here with 4 kids broke. They all have degrees and professional jobs and are as American as anyone I know. I actually think it would be cool if we could ship the liberals over there and bring more patriots over First think you notice at his and his brothers houses are the huge American flags out front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2goDD View Post
Late to the party, yes, there's one in Westminster, Orange County - next to main library and Westminster PD - memorial dedicated to South Vietnamese Army and American soldiers.

Glad to see it.

http://www.westminsterchamber.org/in...140&Itemid=611
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Going to sound funny, but I think asians make some really good americans. A buddy of mine from vietnam originally told me that after you live in a communist country you appreciate freedom. His dad fought with our side in the vietnam war but could not get out. he saved his orders to prove his status when they got out of dodge. They have lived the american dream. All kids have degrees and good jobs.

Also asians bring good food, pretty woman and such.

I second this. I was a VN import into the US after the fall of Saigon. Trust me, there is no country I love more than the US. I don't forget my roots, but ask me to chose and I'd gladly lay down my life for this country (crappy politicians and all). Everytime I go back to VN or visit other countries out there, it only cements my love for this country.

Know what you don't see in ISIS....ASIANS!!!!.....LoL
Old 12-10-2015, 9:24 AM

This thread got me thinking since some Korean and Vietnamese are here ( love that pho and bulgogi)

This is strange.

Now we fought in Vietnam. The north were the communists that wanted run everyone's lives and the south were the freedom loving people who wanted to be left alone ( was the north Vietnam industrial and south farming as an fyi for me)

We fought in korea. THe north were the communists that wanted to run everyone's lives and the south were the freedom loving people who wanted to be left alone ( same question was north industrial and south farming)

Now we go to the American civil war and the north are the heroes and the great people and the south are the bad guys?

I don't get it. Hell the Yankees started the big government we have now.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
My wife was born and raised in Taiwan, moved to the US for school when she was 25 and met me. That was 20+ years ago. She said that in college in Taiwan everyone was brought up to the mountains to shoot 3 or 5 rounds every year. She enjoyed the shooting but many didn't. So now we have been going to the range every once in a while for the last few years and own our own guns. She enjoys it and is a decent shot.