Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM

Send Ben an email and he will give you the location.
Old 02-27-2015, 8:31 PM

Thumbs up Greg Block CCW Class

I highly recommend Greg, he is one of the most knowledgeable instructors/people I have met. His class is very reasonable at $230 and will include your Utah, Arizona, and Florida CCW certs as well. He will provide you with everything you need to know to keep you out of trouble for the rest of your life, trust me if you read his packet, you will be very satisfied. He is also very respectable in the fact that if you ever need to ask him a question after you have completed his class, you can call or email him and he is very quick to respond. He has two other range instructors with him for when you qualify and very respectable to new/novice shooters and will take their time with you. If you a seasoned veteran shooter, then you will have a blast and be able to qualify with 72 rounds and you can shoot as fast as you want (just stay with in your target mass). My recommendation is to take his class, read his packet and ask any and as many questions as possible, like I said he is a wealth of knowledge and knows the penal code system very well. He will also talk to you about various CCW firearms and holster options, enjoy...
Old 03-01-2015, 4:25 PM

Went and qualified with my colt cobra yesterday, as the third gun to go on my permit, with Ben Hansen Firearms Training. To add an additional pistol on a separate range trip from my first qualification with my other two guns he only charged me $10! Just had to meet at the range after scheduling it, do my shooting, get the paper signed and I was done. Very easy, and super affordable for anyone who is looking to add extra weapons to their permit.
Old 03-04-2015, 9:21 AM

Default Greg Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPRYAN View Post
I highly recommend Greg, he is one of the most knowledgeable instructors/people I have met. His class is very reasonable at $230 and will include your Utah, Arizona, and Florida CCW certs as well. He will provide you with everything you need to know to keep you out of trouble for the rest of your life, trust me if you read his packet, you will be very satisfied. He is also very respectable in the fact that if you ever need to ask him a question after you have completed his class, you can call or email him and he is very quick to respond. He has two other range instructors with him for when you qualify and very respectable to new/novice shooters and will take their time with you. If you a seasoned veteran shooter, then you will have a blast and be able to qualify with 72 rounds and you can shoot as fast as you want (just stay with in your target mass). My recommendation is to take his class, read his packet and ask any and as many questions as possible, like I said he is a wealth of knowledge and knows the penal code system very well. He will also talk to you about various CCW firearms and holster options, enjoy...
I second this. This class is not for everyone here's why.

If you're looking for ACTUAL firearm training, having someone teach you how to shoot and/or use your firearm, this is not the class for you. Although, the range masters there are amazingly supportive and will be more than happy to teach you the fundamentals when you're down on the lane. By now if you're applying for a CCW and get to this point, surely you should already know how to shoot and use your firearm.

If you're looking for a classroom orientated class, this is not for you. His class is structured differently, you don't sit in a classroom for 16 hours. The 1st night consist of him talking about the layout of the class, some shooting scenarios, answering questions, and you shooting your 72 rounds per firearm (24 rounds) @ 3, 5, and 7 yards; hit 70% of your shots on the target and you pass. That whole process takes about 2-3 hours. The second meeting consist of you meeting up with Greg and asking him questions about the readings he gave you. Have questions.. or else he'll ask you questions and you really don't want him to ask you questions.

So.... how does it come to 16 hours you say? The 16 hours doesn't have to be in person, the readings he provides you will take you at least 12-16 hours to fully cover and understand in detail. Some may post about him beating the system, he may, I don't know, but I'll take his words over theirs. He's been doing this for over 3 decades.

Most if not all of Greg's class will teach you more or the legal aspect of it and give you facts on how to get you out of trouble. He's very knowledgeable and helpful, so if you have ANY questions he will always have an answer to it. When I say always, I really mean it.

For $230, you not only gain knowledge about the legalities and what to do and not to do in certain situations, but you will always have Greg as your resource whenever you need it after you've taken his class. If you email/call him, he will always get back to you in a timely manner.

Still interested after all of that?

Here's the website: http://www.firearmstraining.com/class_shed.html

Call/Email him, he will get back to you fairly quickly. After you sign up, I suggest you show up early if you want to get out early. Sit in the front because that's the order you'll be heading to the lane.

Last edited by Albs; 03-04-2015 at 9:29 AM..
Old 03-04-2015, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticsouls View Post
Went and qualified with my colt cobra yesterday, as the third gun to go on my permit, with Ben Hansen Firearms Training. To add an additional pistol on a separate range trip from my first qualification with my other two guns he only charged me $10! Just had to meet at the range after scheduling it, do my shooting, get the paper signed and I was done. Very easy, and super affordable for anyone who is looking to add extra weapons to their permit.

I'm signed up for his classes next week. Since I am unable to do Sunday classes, his weekday plus Saturday classes are more convenient for me. Looking forward to it. I added the Utah CCW course (1 extra hour) also.
Old 03-05-2015, 8:23 AM

I signed up for Fast OC, based on recommendations in here and its also the nearest to my home. I've got a question, if anyone can shed some light:

Am I to bring the IWB holster I intend to carry with or an OWB holster for quick draw practices? Also they are asking for at least 2 magazines with pouch, does that translate to two extra magazines or two magazines total.

Might be dumb questions... I just dont want to show up short handed
Old 03-05-2015, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehed View Post
I signed up for Fast OC, based on recommendations in here and its also the nearest to my home. I've got a question, if anyone can shed some light:

Am I to bring the IWB holster I intend to carry with or an OWB holster for quick draw practices? Also they are asking for at least 2 magazines with pouch, does that translate to two extra magazines or two magazines total.

Might be dumb questions... I just dont want to show up short handed
Sounds like they're asking for 2 mags only. I would call and ask because not every class is structured like the one you're signed up to.
Old 03-05-2015, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Sounds like they're asking for 2 mags only. I would call and ask because not every class is structured like the one you're signed up to.
Yea you're right, I'll give 'em a call later today. I started browsing double mag carriers for my shield but I don't have any intentions of carrying two extra mags. I'd be purchasing a new magazine holster just for the class, which is obviously something I don't want to do.
Old 03-15-2015, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticsouls View Post
+1 for Ben Hansen's class. I recently took this class with my wife, and found it to be informative and very useful (and this is coming from someone who has had a CCW for 15 years from another state). He does a good combination of law review with practical training and application. As Static mentioned you get 3 guns for the same price, and he also does the UT/AZ/FL requirements at the same time (requires 1 additional hour of class time, and does your forms and fingerprints).

Classes are held in different areas around OC, mine were in Santa Ana. Ben also highlights some nice products he sells, but there is no pressure to buy anything.

Static - I think we were at the range together...
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
I did FTA in July. This is out at Rauhauge's in Norco. The classroom instruction was a little sketchy- they insisted a loaded magazine was a loaded gun under the law and would get you arrested. No kidding.

The range day, however, was excellent, like a mini-Front Sight class. The cost was about $200.00. They will bark orders at you, so if you are a very sensitive metro type, you may not like it, but they were efficient and kept the range safe.

I believe I shot about four hundred rounds, but I qualified with three guns. With fewer guns you will shoot a little less.

I would definitely go back to FTA for their range instruction. Their classroom lecture??? I'm not so sure.
Mauserguy

I will second most of this. I just finished the 2 day FTA course this weekend. As stated above, the classroom was slightly underwhelming, yet informative. There were a few items of contention, but the laws change frequently. FTA errs on the conservative side. I appreciate that. Day one was ALL classroom.

Day two was 90% shooting. Come PREPARED with all your eyes,ears,ENOUGH ammo(more than one person ran out. Take more than they say as there are many instances during the malfunction clearing drills you will kill a live round. DON'T PICK IT UP ;-) ) and know how to safely load/unload and be safe. You need to LISTEN carefully as they are very serious about safety rules and you get ONE and only ONE warning. Second time and you are GONE. It did not happen to anyone in my group, but I could see it happening. People get inattentive and that is not a good thing when 30 people have loaded guns.

There were 6-8 instructors at all times. One at the loading table making sure nothing was going wrong and all had eyes on at ALL times. Two groups (one striker fired and one revolvers and exposed hammer guns I guess). Did I mention you need to LISTEN carefully all the time. Miss a direction and you will get a personal visit with the face of an instructor. Most are firm but nicely instructive. Then there is Boris. Boris is all business. Russian and not a what you'd call a light hearted dude. That's cool, but some would call him intimidating. Mess up and you'll know it. That said, I think he's a good dude...just think Russian SF no nonsense.

I think you get a lot for your money. We did basic hand gun training(limited) and 3 stage malfunction FTF drills too. I did not expect this, but it was great training. Take your time with the test as it comes suddenly at the end of the FTF drills. I was so amped up thinking about the clearing drills, I sort of rushed my first gun qualifying shoot. I still passed easily, but was not as accurate as I wanted to be. I was much better on my second gun with only 3 outside of the kill box. You can have 5 off the silhouette and pass. BTW qualifications at FTA is @ 3,5,7,10,25 yards if I remember correctly. More than is required by OC Sheriff. Just FYI.

Advice? Come prepared and serious...this is serious life and death stuff people. Also, DRINK lots of water, especially as we head into the summer. We had a gentleman flat pass out and hit the ground hard. Not due to the training, but most likely due to not drinking and the stress. They are constantly reminding you to drink BTW. Bring at least 3 mags per guns even though they say you only need 2. If not, you end up reloading on the line durring your qualification. Sunscreen, sweat and stress make it a bit hard to load those slippery little buggers ;-)

Oh, for an extra $100, you can apply for FL/AZ/UT CCW licences too. You will do all the finger printing there and paperwork and then you have to get pictures and send you packets in to each respective state. They also offer a 20% discount on future training if you put a deposit down that day. I'm going back for the general HG class. Lots more about shooting on the move and other techniques.

More involved than I anticipated, but also a sort of mini training session rather than just a qualification. I'd recommend it. Have fun.

Last edited by DoubleCab; 03-17-2015 at 9:28 AM..
Old 03-31-2015, 7:51 AM

I've been considering offering CCW classes for Orange County. Their requirements are a little more stringent than Kern so, it will take a little more class development. It will be worth the effort if anyone would be willing to come to Tehachapi for the class. That's a long drive though.

Do you think anyone would be interested in driving up to Tehachapi for a CCW class?

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 03-31-2015, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I've been considering offering CCW classes for Orange County. Their requirements are a little more stringent than Kern so, it will take a little more class development. It will be worth the effort if anyone would be willing to come to Tehachapi for the class. That's a long drive though.

Do you think anyone would be interested in driving up to Tehachapi for a CCW class?
I personally wouldn't drive all the way up there that's for sure, unless your prices stomps on all the competitors... I'll still just think about it.

And I hope you're up to date with what's happening in OC at the moment with CCW. If not, I highly suggest you go read up on it.
Old 03-31-2015, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

For a 16 hour class? It would have to include a voucher for the local Motel 6.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
And I hope you're up to date with what's happening in OC at the moment with CCW. If not, I highly suggest you go read up on it.
Yes, I'm up to date with it. This is why I've paused in the process and asked this question here.

A while back I heard that it was kind of difficult to find a CCW class due to the limited training available. So, I thought it would be a reasonable idea to add an OC class. Even if I only got a few students, it would be worth my time. I realize that there wouldn't be a huge influx, but you never know.

I would charge $150 for the 16 hour class. I have no idea if that's better or worse than what's currently out there. Sorry, no hotel vouchers.

Also, I limit my class size to 8 students. This reduces potential crowding, increases safety and allows for more personal instruction and questions.

I prefer to teach in Tehachapi because I have access to a great range here. I think I'll just let it lie for the moment, it was just a thought.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM

Tehachapi is a great town, I have property up in three of the local mountains, & I would leave trails of dog food. When the animals came out I watched with the neighbors & my relatives. The FAR WEST END OF TEHACHAPI OVERLOOKS THE BAKERSFIELD VALLEY!!!! I got this idea from the "youtube" hunters, in Tehachapi they have boar, deer, bear, raccoons, possums, skunks, etc. The town is turning Liberal!! But far north of the 58 freeway, before the Lake Isabella area, the hunting is great. I have about 1500 acres in the 178/14/58 triangle. This area has tons of Hunting Mammals, bear, boar, deer, etc. and the neighbors constantly call and tell stories of 100's of lbs. of meat taken in the TRIANGLE (178x14x58) including north of Lake Isabella! As for Orange County CCW students, your wasting your time trying to get us City Dwellers up there.

Last edited by repo4sale; 03-31-2015 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo4sale View Post
Tehachapi is a great town, I have property up in three of the local mountains, & I would leave trails of dog food. When the animals came out I watched with the neighbors & my relatives..

I hope all you were doing was watching. Baiting is illegal here in CA. (California Code of Regulations, Title 14, section 251.1) The stupid state calls it harassment even if you don't hunt them. Just leaving out the food intentionally is illegal. I'm sure it was not intentional and the bag just leaked

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/cu...egs.aspx#251_1
Old 04-02-2015, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo4sale View Post
The FAR WEST END OF TEHACHAPI OVERLOOKS THE BAKERSFIELD VALLEY!!!!
It does not. Maybe you're thinking of the other side of Bear Valley.

Old 04-02-2015, 6:04 AM

Quote:
It does not. Maybe you're thinking of the other side of Bear Valley.
You're right, far far west end of Bear Valley Springs Association, but not many know of BVSA let alone Tehachapi, unless they have relatives in the prison, live up there or hunt or work on them wind turbines

Sent from my SM-G386T1
Old 04-04-2015, 12:03 PM

California Sheriffs' Association Sponsors Anti-CCW Bill AB 1134
Yesterday, sources confirmed that California's elected sheriffs, through their California State Sheriffs' Association, are the sponsors behind the anti-CCW Assembly Bill 1134 (Asm. Stone - D, Santa Cruz).

AB 1134 is an outright attack on the carry license ("CCW") application process, a new burden on applicants, and a blatant attempt to overturn the Los Angeles Superior Court's decision in Lu v. Baca (currently on appeal) and the longstanding precedent of Salute v. Pitchess.

AB 1134 would legislatively remove the duty of sheriffs to accept and process applications.

Under AB 1134, any sheriff could -- by nothing more than a wink-nod agreement with a police chief of a city in their county -- institute a system by which all carry license applicants would have to apply with that police chief -- and that police chief only.

AB 1134 is a direct assault on California's carry license system....and it's scheduled to be heard on April 7!

Sent from my SM-G386T1
Old 04-24-2015, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Took the class with Greg Block. This guy is the genuine article with more credentials than anyone else in town, and a LEO background. Pistol Qualification was simple, but the assumption is you know how to use a gun. If you don't your probably a candidate for one of the tacticool instructors who emphasize firearms training over legal ramifications. Why carry if you aren't proficient??

Greg stresses the fact carry is a final defense for only the most dire situations, and than loads you up with reading materials which pound home the fact that shooting someone is a very dangerous thing to do, and must only be done at last resort...and still it will probably break you legally and financially.

I've met a few of the other new ccw instructors in town. One in particular threatened to have me arrested for a OLL in 2008.

If you want to play Rambo amongst the cow manure berms that's all well and good, but if you want to carry and stay out of jail...try Greg.
Glad you enjoyed it. He's also one of the few instructors who has a seamless process if you plan on adding another firearm to your CCW.

Email him regarding the next CCW class, show up after it's all finished, shoot your 72 rounds and you're out.
Old 04-28-2015, 4:03 AM

Did my training with Security Training Center with Pete and the class was great for my purpose. Started at 10 and got out at 5pm, Pete was a genuine person, but the class is meant for people like me who needed to get through the motion for minimal time and cost. $150 for 6 hours of my time (hour lunch break).
Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_haney View Post
Just wrapped up my training at Fast OC in Orange. Awesome experience with the guys there!

$175 covered everything, including additional firearms qualifications.

8 hours of class, 8 hours on the range at Evans (down the street), broken up unto equal parts each day. Shot about 500 rounds. Qualified with 3 guns.

They are also hosting a 1x month IDPA style shoot at Evans in Orange as well.

Two big thumbs up to Lance, Chris, and the crew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingGuns View Post
I second this post. These guys know what they are talking about. I can't say enough good things about these guys. They make the training realistic and practical for real life applications. Also, they know how to joke and have fun. Check them out.

Also, the IDPA shooting they put on is every second and fourth Thursday of the month. Lots of fun too.
Looks like they upped their rate to $200 now =\
Old 06-05-2015, 5:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Orange County: Instructor Review & Recommendation Thread

Who has taken the intermediate or skill builder class from TJ? I need to add a gun and figure I may as well get some extra training while I'm at it, but I don't need to go through the entire CCW course again. Rather spend that $/time on skills training than rehashing CCW legalities out of the book.

Last edited by steadyrock; 06-05-2015 at 6:22 PM..
Old 07-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. He's also one of the few instructors who has a seamless process if you plan on adding another firearm to your CCW.

Email him regarding the next CCW class, show up after it's all finished, shoot your 72 rounds and you're out.
Greg Block's class, as described previously is a "cut to the chase", no BS experience.
Although some people were confused by the format, you get in and do your time and you get out.

He is very opinionated, but this is an unavoidable by product of years and years of real world experience.

I found the class informative, entertaining and above all a very efficient use of time and therefore money.

He came recommended by a friend who closely associated with OCSD.

If all of this fits your personal needs and style, he is highly recommended.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 AM

www.safeinsight.net

Online course, very comprehensive, easy to follow, offered for Orange County, Nevada, and multi-state with more coming.

LEO Michael Cox does vids, slides, and interactive testing, then a written test to complete the classroom portion. Range day is an hour or so, qualifying your CCW firearm(s), done locally to you by qualified instructor.

This portion of your CCW application couldn't be easier. Michael is a great guy, very competent. Check it out...
Old 08-05-2015, 4:56 PM

I took Ben Hansen's class and have nothing but good things to say. Nice people, knowledgeable people and dedicated to teaching. Not just pushing you through. I'm was hoping for a 'quick and dirty'. I ended up very happy that Ben went deeper.
Old 08-08-2015, 8:39 PM

Greg block

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2015, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
www.safeinsight.net

Online course, very comprehensive, easy to follow, offered for Orange County, Nevada, and multi-state with more coming.
Something is amiss or not truly represented here. The Nevada CCW must be taught in the state of Nevada; no exceptions. So, how is it possible for this to be taught on-line?

Old 08-09-2015, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Something is amiss or not truly represented here. The Nevada CCW must be taught in the state of Nevada; no exceptions. So, how is it possible for this to be taught on-line?
Likely he teaches it in Nevada then. I can assure you there's nothing amiss. If you're really interested contact Mike directly.

I'm doing my range qualifying for OC CCW training this morning.
Old 08-16-2015, 4:12 PM

Default Falcon Operations Group - Add a gun

Ian at Falcon Operations Group performed an add a gun qualification for me today at Prado Olympic Shooting Park.

He was kind enough to accommodate my tight schedule and squeezed me into his weekend CCW class. He was quick, friendly and professional. I was done in 40 minutes. He even folded my qual as a learning experience for his class, giving them a preview of what they would be doing that day.

Thanks to Ian I had a great experience and was ahead of schedule.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up Hansen Firearms Training

I took Ben Hansen (Hansen Firearms Training) class this sat 9/19 in Santa Ana. It was a 1 day class from 9AM to 9PM. The cost is $160 and you get a free practice gun and holster. You also get to qualify with 3 guns for that price.

The class was very informative and fun. Ben is a very entertaining guy, he makes a lot of jokes to keep the class from falling a sleep and is very knowledgable. Ben will answer any questions you have without giving you any FUD. We got to do a few live drills with different people in the class such as how to prevent someone for stealing your gun, different ways to hide and run. Ben also shows us actual video clips of people using their CCW and what to learn from them.

Ben only teaches stuff that you may encounter with when you have your CCW and nothing BS.

Qualification was to shoot 24 shots ateach distance 3, 5, 7 Yards with 70% accuracy. The range time was done at Evan’s Gunsmithing Shooters World in Orange. Theres also a muliple choice test with 31 questions that you need 70% on also. The test was super easy.

I highly recommend this class. You can contact Ben through his website
http://www.californiagunpermit.com/

Last edited by buffguy; 09-21-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Old 10-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Just finished the Ben Hansen one day class. Agree with all that was said. Great class - great info and shooting instruction.
Class was held in Santa Ana. The office had a flyer advertising a class for OC residents only for $100.00 - states "regular price" is $225. "OC Firearms Training Academy" http://www.ocses.com/taccom/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffguy View Post
I took Ben Hansen (Hansen Firearms Training) class this sat 9/19 in Santa Ana. It was a 1 day class from 9AM to 9PM. The cost is $160 and you get a free practice gun and holster. You also get to qualify with 3 guns for that price.

The class was very informative and fun. Ben is a very entertaining guy, he makes a lot of jokes to keep the class from falling a sleep and is very knowledgable. Ben will answer any questions you have without giving you any FUD. We got to do a few live drills with different people in the class such as how to prevent someone for stealing your gun, different ways to hide and run. Ben also shows us actual video clips of people using their CCW and what to learn from them.

Ben only teaches stuff that you may encounter with when you have your CCW and nothing BS.

Qualification was to shoot 24 shots ateach distance 3, 5, 7 Yards with 70% accuracy. The range time was done at Evan’s Gunsmithing Shooters World in Orange. Theres also a muliple choice test with 31 questions that you need 70% on also. The test was super easy.

I highly recommend this class. You can contact Ben through his website
http://www.californiagunpermit.com/
Old 10-04-2015, 7:34 PM

A bit late to the thread, but I went through the FAST OC program about 8 months ago. REALLY enjoyed it, one of the most fun training program's I've had the pleasure of doing. Small group (I had 5 shooters in my group), we did 4 hours of classroom, then 4 hours of range time on Saturday, and reversed that on Sunday with 4 hours in the morning at the range, then we headed over to the classroom after lunch to finish up.

The instructors were all excellent. The many different types of shooting drills were a total blast, and I learned a lot about what I liked about various guns I owned and what I didn't with respect to EDC that never even crossed my mind in scenarios like Steel Madness at Rahaagues. My favorite drill was the the 21' drill with the target pulled directly at you as fast as the instructor can run.

Highlights of the training included:
1. An LAPD officer came to class (off duty) to talk about the law and potential aftermath, and to answer questions about how to interact with LEO's as a CCW holder.
2. The shooting the shooting the shooting the shooting!
3. Can qual all three guns for the same price.
4. The shooting the shooting the shooting!
5. Concentrated over a weekend
6. Small group setting

As an unexpected benefit, my instructor was also certified to teach in AZ, so for a small fee (made out to Az, not the instructor), I was able to get a CCW license for both CA and Az. Thanks to the reprocity laws, that grants me something like 36 states that I am allowed to carry in now. Sweet!

The only negative to the experience is that Lance and a few other instructors are completely addicted to vaping, and did it all weekend long.
Old 10-29-2015, 7:12 AM

Default Safe Insight - Online Course

I did my course with these guys. Worked perfectly for my needs and experience level.
Old 12-23-2015, 5:14 PM

Safe Insight - online course-
highly recommend - great experience

Last edited by msbscott; 12-29-2015 at 8:01 AM..
Old 01-08-2016, 9:03 AM

I took TJ's CCW course. I was surprised at how good it was. I've trained with many of the "big names" and I've previously also taken a CCW course with another OC training firm -- and I wouldn't hesitate to train with TJ again, especially for the price.. The only downside to TJ's course was related to the upside...a fair number of the students in the class were still in the awkward stage of weapons handling, but TJ kept the pacing of the drills such that I felt like I could still challenge myself. So on the one hand I had a good training experience, on the other hand I did it with one eyeball because the other one was scanning for safety. That said, you are going to get the same mix of students in any CCW class, so it is what it is.

The whole class was good, but the best part for me was the lecture and following Q&A with the firearms law attorney TJ brought in to speak with the class. So much more confidence inspiring than getting advice from a layman.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 01-11-2016 at 9:38 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 3:29 PM

Default Greg Block

Greg's 16hr CCW class will not teach you how to shoot, conceal, and holster/draw. It will, however, teach you how to avoid losing your license, staying out of jail, or losing a lawsuit.

He is very straight forward with his information; there is no grey area with him. At first, he looks kinda weird and did not come across like he was a CCW Guru. Then he starts talking...you can't help but be entertained and educated at the same time. He really knows his stuff.

The reading material that he gives answers a lot of questions that one may have and cites a lot of laws/codes that back up his teachings.

Shooting part was easy! I don't know how anyone can fail to qualify their guns.

I do recommend Greg Block, but do not expect to learn anything that pertains to the physical aspect of Concealed Carry in this class.

PS. I do not have any experience with the other classes that he offers, nor can I compare him to any other instructor as this is the first time I have taken any sort of CCW or related class.

Last edited by khiemp; 01-23-2016 at 3:35 PM..
Old 01-26-2016, 8:43 PM

Default Greg Block

+1 on Greg's class. I was actually in the 1/5 class as well. Greg is very informative but keeps the class pretty entertaining. I would agree this class is not for a novice handgun owner.
Old 01-27-2016, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chg58 View Post

+1 on Greg's class.

I was actually in the 1/5 class as well.

Greg is very informative but keeps the class pretty entertaining.

I would agree this class is not for a novice handgun owner.
Greg's class assumes a reasonable level of gun awareness and experience.

That saves a lot of time as you don't spend much time on newbie Q and A.

It doesn't focus on tactical gun handling, while he offers these kinds of classes, this isn't the focus of his CCW Qual class.

His class is informative, entertaining and the time goes by very quickly...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 01-31-2016, 7:25 AM

I took Ben Hansen's 1 day class yesterday. Ben is a great instructor and is knowledgeable. I will definitely take some of his other classes in the future.

With guns, we are 'citizens.'

Without them, we are 'subjects'.