Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-01-2019, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Default Buying reloading products

Hey all I figured I should wipe off the dust off the Lee turret kit box, assemble it and finally start reloading, wanna start off small so I'm gathering a list of what I will need. Can you guys check it out and either approve or advise of a better route/site? wanna start with 45 for now, plinking/defensive (potentially) i have plenty of brass. Thanks.

Projectile -

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...00-gr-hhp-500/

or

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...-grain-rn-250/

or

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...230-gr-rn-500/

Primers

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...-primers-1000/

Powder -

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...don-titegroup/

or

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/winchester-231/
Old 07-01-2019, 4:28 PM

If you're not opposed to shooting coated bullets, check out Brazos Precision. Accurate bullet. Can't beat their prices. Good folks too.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2019, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
If you're not opposed to shooting coated bullets, check out Brazos Precision. Accurate bullet. Can't beat their prices. Good folks too.

Pros and cons of coated bullets? Can they be shot at a range?

I'd like to stick to one supplier to save on shipping.
Old 07-01-2019, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your gonna pay haz.mat fees for the primers and powder. Just buy 5000 primers.
Check out Brownells prices. Sometimes they have 1cent hazmat fees plus shipping.
Midway also has no hazmat fees. Sometimes
Old 07-01-2019, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Your gonna pay haz.mat fees for the primers and powder. Just buy 5000 primers.
Check out Brownells prices. Sometimes they have 1cent hazmat fees plus shipping.
Midway also has no hazmat fees. Sometimes
I was thinking of getting a few thousand of those and small primers for 9mm
Old 07-01-2019, 4:59 PM

I’ve found that powder valley typically has some of the best prices for their products. Sometimes you can catch them when they have a free shipping deal or hazmat deal. Even with the shipping and hazmat they’re usually still cheaper than midway.

I use bullseye in my 45 loads but also have titegroup I mostly use for 9mm. Buy in bulk and make it worth your money.

As far as bullets go —> http://www.rmrbullets.com
Good prices, free shipping, great customer service.
Old 07-01-2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelholder View Post
Pros and cons of coated bullets? Can they be shot at a range?

I'd like to stick to one supplier to save on shipping.
No problem shooting coated bullets at ranges. I shoot them for USPSA. Most guys do. Some say they're not as accurate as jacketed but I think that's dated information. I pay just under 5 cents per bullet for Brazos 135gr. Run it with Tightgroup and federal primers. Nice, accurate shooting round out of my CZ SP-01.

Old 07-01-2019, 5:32 PM

Hey cuban you gona shoot gopher flats end of month steel? I'll be there
Old 07-01-2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
Hey cuban you gona shoot gopher flats end of month steel? I'll be there
I'm not sure. I am gonna try to shoot the USPSA match up at Piru the weekend before. I will shoot USPSA at Gophers at the end of the month for sure. If I don't shoot Piru maybe I will shoot the steel match.

I'm hoping to join the Gophers club by the way. I got a member to sponsor me. I'm gonna go to the next club meeting to introduce myself and ask to join.

You gonna shoot the USPSA match?

Old 07-01-2019, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Once you get bit by the reloading bug, it's good to get on a couple of suppliers' mailing lists... so you can take advantage of good sales that pop up from time to time.
Xtreme bullets is one (thicker plated but not jacketed) bullet supplier that historically had really great sales a couple of times a year. I think they've got new ownership now, so the great sales aren't as often as before... but when they do pop one out (15% off everything and free shipping for example), it's a great time drop some cash and stock up on projectiles.

You just missed a nice rebate on CCI primers, and one on Winchester primers as well.

When it comes to powder valley, they have sales from time to time too... like free hazmat or whatnot. It's easier to just pop up an add in the reloading sales forum and coordinate a group buy for powder/primers with a couple of guys and split the hazmat/shipping... to make the most economy of things.
Old 07-01-2019, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Look at Evergladesammo.com for bullets. Prices include shipping. We have used a lot of their bullets and they are excellent.
Old 07-01-2019, 7:22 PM

Winchester is having a primer sale at 25% off if yer interested....
https://winchester.com/Rebates/2019-...08a40-11330173
Old 07-01-2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
I'm not sure. I am gonna try to shoot the USPSA match up at Piru the weekend before. I will shoot USPSA at Gophers at the end of the month for sure. If I don't shoot Piru maybe I will shoot the steel match.

I'm hoping to join the Gophers club by the way. I got a member to sponsor me. I'm gonna go to the next club meeting to introduce myself and ask to join.

You gonna shoot the USPSA match?

only have sat to shoot so the steel challange rest of time with kids.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA. View Post
I’ve found that powder valley typically has some of the best prices for their products. Sometimes you can catch them when they have a free shipping deal or hazmat deal. Even with the shipping and hazmat they’re usually still cheaper than midway.

I use bullseye in my 45 loads but also have titegroup I mostly use for 9mm. Buy in bulk and make it worth your money.

As far as bullets go —> http://www.rmrbullets.com

Good prices, free shipping, great customer service.
Thanks, why not rite group for both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Once you get bit by the reloading bug, it's good to get on a couple of suppliers' mailing lists... so you can take advantage of good sales that pop up from time to time.
Xtreme bullets is one (thicker plated but not jacketed) bullet supplier that historically had really great sales a couple of times a year. I think they've got new ownership now, so the great sales aren't as often as before... but when they do pop one out (15% off everything and free shipping for example), it's a great time drop some cash and stock up on projectiles.

You just missed a nice rebate on CCI primers, and one on Winchester primers as well.

When it comes to powder valley, they have sales from time to time too... like free hazmat or whatnot. It's easier to just pop up an add in the reloading sales forum and coordinate a group buy for powder/primers with a couple of guys and split the hazmat/shipping... to make the most economy of things.
Thanks I'll sign up. Any preferences in powder for loading 9mm/45?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
Winchester is having a primer sale at 25% off if yer interested....
https://winchester.com/Rebates/2019-...08a40-11330173
Sweet should save me a few bucks here.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Is titegroup recommended for loading slightly hotter rounds like +p 45/9mm? Not trying to get too crazy but want to pick up more than one type of powder, what do you guys use?
Old 07-02-2019, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Is titegroup recommended for loading slightly hotter rounds like +p 45/9mm? Not trying to get too crazy but want to pick up more than one type of powder, what do you guys use?
i have used TG in the past. never tried for +p loads. i like CFE-Pistol better.

TG did great in my 40 and decent in my 45, but there was hardly any difference between min/max charge weight and it is filthy nasty to clean up. not to mention it is really smoky/smelly with cast bullets.
Old 07-02-2019, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, for the +p loaders, what do you guys prefer? I've been reading about power pistol.
Old 07-02-2019, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks I'll sign up. Any preferences in powder for loading 9mm/45?
Sweet should save me a few bucks here.
Be advised... Xtreme will send you an email EVERY DAY with a "5% off NOW" sale. Ignore those. Around the last cyber Monday I got like 20k bullets with free shipping and such. Took a while for all of the buckets to show up, but now I'm set for a while.

I use bullseye for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45. There are better powders, but it works just fine, meters decently, and a big 8lb keg (or two) goes a LONG way. I picked up a couple way back when on a group-buy, and got a great deal. That's where the economy of reloading really comes in... big amounts of supplies. Buying a pound of powder here and there, 1k primers here and there, boolits as you need them... ends up not being very economical. Ya gotta scale to get the real savings. (Except for 10mm... it costs me half the price of factory ammo for some reason, it's all just way over-priced).

I load ***-tons of 10mm too, but use Longshot for that.

I strongly applaud anyone reloading instead of buying ammo now, until this new stupid law gets overturned.

Oh, if you ever get into cutting down your own brass for 300 Blackout, the absolute cheapest way I've found is buying 5.56mm Lake City blanks from Everglades Ammo. I bought a ****-ton a while back, and it works just fine for 300BLK, never had any issues. (It's a crying shame to see regular LC 5.56 get chopped up, but with blanks, who cares! I haven't seen anyone else sell them as cheap as Everglades does, but keep in mind there will be a fair number of live blanks in any box, even with the primers hit.)

Stored right, primers will last forever, and don't take up a lot of space.
Stored right, powder will last a heck of a long time, but there are fire marshal restrictions to how much you can store without a permit... it depends on the county you're in. Where I'm at, I don't think we have any limits, but usually its something like 20 or 25 pounds. Still... having a LOT of powder would make me nervous without an underground bunker.

American Reloading often has bullets for cheap also. They sell pulled projectiles, and get different stuff in from time to time. Like Xtreme, when you get on the mailing list, you get near daily "25% off of blah-blah" emails. For plink ammo that is jacketed and not just plated, sometimes they'll have very affordable mixes, like a big batch of FMJ's that I got for 40 that were a jumble of 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr. Some guys will just load them all with the same recipe for plinking, but that seems like a bad idea to me.
The pulls that they sell range from being so crappy you wouldn't want to use them outside of the apocalypse, to ones you can't even tell are pulled.

Patience is your friend for finding great deals.. and should you end up with way more than you need, you can usually find a home for it in the marketplace.

Like they always say, "I don't reload to save money, I reload to be able to shoot MORE".
Old 07-02-2019, 9:30 AM

I buy bulk from powder valley, very competitive price for primers and powders.

Have been stocking up since 2010
Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

So far my list includes 1pd of titegroup, 1pd of power pistol, 1pd of 800x, 2k primers for small and large pistol each, Berry's 500 round nose 230 grain, 500 golden sabers 185 grain and 500 124 grain gold dots, along with some 45 super starline brass for my 4506 super build.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Used to load for 9 major (much hotter than +p) for competition. My go to powder is Autocomp followed by HS-6.

Alternative to Titegroup? Try Shooters World Clean Shot. I used Titegroup for 2 years and I am tired of the gunk it leaves especially on pcc rifles. Clean Shot is super clean and very fine; super easy to meter.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmo View Post
Used to load for 9 major (much hotter than +p) for competition. My go to powder is Autocomp followed by HS-6.

Alternative to Titegroup? Try Shooters World Clean Shot. I used Titegroup for 2 years and I am tired of the gunk it leaves especially on pcc rifles. Clean Shot is super clean and very fine; super easy to meter.
I've heard good things about N320 or Power Pistol as alternatives to Tightgroup. The former can use the same load if I recall.

Tightgroup does run a bit dirty but it's pretty economical and it meters very well. I may try N320 next time I order powder.

Old 07-02-2019, 1:18 PM

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-re...0RN-NLG-Coated

These, w231 and whatever primers you can get cheap. That’s what I run
Old 07-02-2019, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Be advised... Xtreme will send you an email EVERY DAY with a "5% off NOW" sale. Ignore those. Around the last cyber Monday I got like 20k bullets with free shipping and such. Took a while for all of the buckets to show up, but now I'm set for a while.

I use bullseye for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45. There are better powders, but it works just fine, meters decently, and a big 8lb keg (or two) goes a LONG way. I picked up a couple way back when on a group-buy, and got a great deal. That's where the economy of reloading really comes in... big amounts of supplies. Buying a pound of powder here and there, 1k primers here and there, boolits as you need them... ends up not being very economical. Ya gotta scale to get the real savings. (Except for 10mm... it costs me half the price of factory ammo for some reason, it's all just way over-priced).

I strongly applaud anyone reloading instead of buying ammo now, until this new stupid law gets overturned.

Oh, if you ever get into cutting down your own brass for 300 Blackout, the absolute cheapest way I've found is buying 5.56mm Lake City blanks from Everglades Ammo. I bought a ****-ton a while back, and it works just fine for 300BLK, never had any issues. (It's a crying shame to see regular LC 5.56 get chopped up, but with blanks, who cares! I haven't seen anyone else sell them as cheap as Everglades does, but keep in mind there will be a fair number of live blanks in any box, even with the primers hit.)

Stored right, powder will last a heck of a long time, but there are fire marshal restrictions to how much you can store without a permit... it depends on the county you're in. Where I'm at, I don't think we have any limits, but usually its something like 20 or 25 pounds. Still... having a LOT of powder would make me nervous without an underground bunker.

American Reloading often has bullets for cheap also. They sell pulled projectiles, and get different stuff in from time to time. Like Xtreme, when you get on the mailing list, you get near daily "25% off of blah-blah" emails. For plink ammo that is jacketed and not just plated, sometimes they'll have very affordable mixes, like a big batch of FMJ's that I got for 40 that were a jumble of 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr. Some guys will just load them all with the same recipe for plinking, but that seems like a bad idea to me.
The pulls that they sell range from being so crappy you wouldn't want to use them outside of the apocalypse, to ones you can't even tell are pulled.

Patience is your friend for finding great deals.. and should you end up with way more than you need, you can usually find a home for it in the marketplace.

Like they always say, "I don't reload to save money, I reload to be able to shoot MORE".
Appreciate the write up, thanks. I'll sign up for the reloading sites and hope there's a deal coming around soon.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone here reload 45 super and can recommend a good vendor for hard cast bullets?
Old 07-13-2019, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Tightgroup was designed to make very low pressure loads consistent and to be less effected by ambient temperatures.
Example: Developing loads on cool February mornings and then running the load over a chronograph in the July afternoon sun.
Tightgroup does very well. But....

Tightgroup is the only gunpowder that I'm sensitive to and leaves me with a bad taste. Two days after shooting I can still smell
it on my hat and shooting clothes. Other than that it's a great powder and I don't know anyone else who has the problem with it as I do.
Old 07-13-2019, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Until you get some loading under your belt stay away from the +P loads. Besides if you are shooting paper regular and mild loads are 1) easier on the gun 2) easier on the brass 3) easier on you 4) cheaper to load. In short there is no need for hot loads for target shooting.
Win231/HP-38 is an excellent powder for you to use and meters well. Same powder and 2 different names.
Old 07-14-2019, 4:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Divernhunter.
2nd than opinion.
Old 07-14-2019, 4:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If your 45s are large pistol primers I have 1k-1500 in sfv at shop. I don't load much with lpp pm me. Have other primers as well I made a 15k buy few years ago of all sizes.
Old 07-15-2019, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The best part of reloading is giving the finger to Govt. It's NONE of their business.
Old 07-15-2019, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd just be careful buying thousands of primers and many pounds of one powder w/o trying them first.

I have an AK that uses 223 and it pierces primers on ammo that doesn't have problems in ARs.

Its worth paying a premium on a small quantity from a local store if you have one.