Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Law Tactical folder adapter

I ordered a Law Tactical folding stock adapter that I'm waiting on.

I'm wondering now if it will work on my M-4 that is California compliant with the fixed mag option of having to separate the lower from the upper slightly to drop the mag.

Anyone know for sure? I realized after giving it some further thought that there is a bolt extension that may not make it compatible with the way my carbine is set up. Am I correct? I guess I can wait to find out but I wouldn't mind knowing now if someone out there has tried it. I suppose that I could put it on a featureless build if it doesn't work.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:24 PM

Perhaps I can't put it on a featureless rifle. That's a feature. Shoot! I hate California sometimes
Old 06-07-2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdutch View Post
I ordered a Law Tactical folding stock adapter that I'm waiting on.

I'm wondering now if it will work on my M-4 that is California compliant with the fixed mag option of having to separate the lower from the upper slightly to drop the mag.

Anyone know for sure? I realized after giving it some further thought that there is a bolt extension that may not make it compatible with the way my carbine is set up. Am I correct? I guess I can wait to find out but I wouldn't mind knowing now if someone out there has tried it. I suppose that I could put it on a featureless build if it doesn't work.

I have been wondering this too. From what I gather I think if you’re featureless(pinned stock, no pistol grip or forward grips, no flash hider and whatever else) and if you have a OAL of a certain length while folded, I think it’s okay? Not sure and also wondering though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 7:47 PM

If the adapter is on a fixed mag AR, then it is legal. If the adapter is on a featureless AR, then it is illegal.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=30515.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yow that's a lot of money to spend on that gimmick. Do you need the space-savings that much?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:57 PM

The bolt extension will need to be removed before you will be able to separate the upper from the lower. It’s an easy process that takes less than 5 seconds but still a PITA. I’d consider purchasing a Mean Arms loader for your fixed mag rifle. That way, you do not need to break open the rifle to load.

Last edited by Maximus28; 06-08-2019 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 06-09-2019, 5:55 PM

Hmmm... I do have Mean Arms loaders that I forgot about. Thanks!

When I asked the question, I also looked at past posts that are kind of old. (I should do more research before I purchase stuff in California)

The short version is that minimal overall rifle length has to be 26 in. or 30 in., measured from the end of the welded or pinned compensator or flash hider or barrel end to the end of the stock, on the center line, depending on whether it is an AW or non AW.

The issue is that, apparently, it is possible to fire a round left over in the action. Of course, it can fire only one round and that it is not recommended to do so. Apparently, the Law folder also states this on the device itself. At the time I ordered this, I wasn't aware of this.

Do the rules for minimum length of the rifle apply when the firearm is technically a single shot rifle when folded? Thanks in advance for any updated answers. Perhaps this is not the right part of the forum to ask this particular question.
Old 06-09-2019, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't think the gun is safely operable when its folded. Where is that bolt going to fly off to when you pull the trigger?
If the gun isn't operable when folded then you have no worries about the length.
If it can be shot only once and dangerously at that, then OAL needs to be 26 inches etc.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:41 AM
retired Goon

Even though it is recommended not to because it can damage the firearm, the firearm can still fire with it folded.

Therefore...

If installed on a semi-auto centerfire rifle, then the overall length needs to be 30" or greater. [PC 30515(a)(3)]
^ When measuring overall length for this, the rifle needs to be folded/collapsed and any non-permanently attached muzzle device need to be removed. [11 CCR 5471(x)]

If installed on a manually operated centerfire repeating rifle or single-shot centerfire rifle or rimfire rifle or shotgun, then the overall length needs to be 26" or greater. [PC 17170(b) and 17180(b)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-10-2019, 3:07 AM

Thank you sirs! One thing, Quiet, Is the setup I'm considering a single shot when folded? It is of course not safe to fire it folded, but possible. If not, may have to return it. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 06-10-2019, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdutch View Post
Thank you sirs! One thing, Quiet, Is the setup I'm considering a single shot when folded? It is of course not safe to fire it folded, but possible. If not, may have to return it. Thanks for everyones input.
Yes, you can fire a single shot when it is folded. It won't cycle. It may damage the gun. Pretty much it can be summed up in two criteria.

1) When folded, is it 26' or greater? If yes, then you're good to go.
2) When extended, is it 30' or greater? If yes, then you're good to go.
Old 07-07-2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instaramen View Post
Yes, you can fire a single shot when it is folded. It won't cycle. It may damage the gun. Pretty much it can be summed up in two criteria.

1) When folded, is it 26' or greater? If yes, then you're good to go.

2) When extended, is it 30' or greater? If yes, then you're good to go.

26’ is a very big gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro