Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-26-2019, 4:44 PM
CGSSA Associate

Default Alternatives to Google software - F-droid vs. Play

Due to the recent Project Veritas Google disclosure, I have committed to phasing out Google software from my devices and thought a thread on alternative software might be helpful to others exploring alternatives.

F-droid is an app store that has its focus to offer free and open source software (FOSS) Android apps only. The apps on the store are well categorized, and you will find a vast collection of apps for free.

Uniquely, the entire site and app store is run by volunteers and relies on donations. So if you find an app you like, do consider making a small donation to keep it running.

F-Droid is popular among Android developers as they have easy access to all the codes of the apps. They can use part of the codes to make apps of their own.

The apps don’t have reviews or ratings and are not always as stable as can be found in Google Play.If you are a developer, then it’s a go-to site for you.

https://f-droid.org/

DISCLOSURE: I freely admit to being buried up to my nose in the Google universe (Youtube/Gmail/Chrome/Play/etc.) for quite some time now. After switching 50/50 to a Firefox/DuckDuckGo with extensions such as Ublock and autocookie delete, searches and youtube are completely different experiences. No autofill in searches for example and no rabbit hole of recommended videos on youtube. Its been an eye opening 6 months running both side by side.

Its been a real blessing to be more targeted in my research and less dependent on Googles algorithms for results.

Maybe no one cares - thats cool. I just wanted to put it out there.

Last edited by musick; 06-26-2019 at 4:45 PM.. Reason: Disclosure
Old 06-26-2019, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
Due to the recent Project Veritas Google disclosure, I have committed to phasing out Google software from my devices and thought a thread on alternative software might be helpful to others exploring alternatives.

F-droid is an app store that has its focus to offer free and open source software (FOSS) Android apps only. The apps on the store are well categorized, and you will find a vast collection of apps for free.

Uniquely, the entire site and app store is run by volunteers and relies on donations. So if you find an app you like, do consider making a small donation to keep it running.

F-Droid is popular among Android developers as they have easy access to all the codes of the apps. They can use part of the codes to make apps of their own.

The apps don’t have reviews or ratings and are not always as stable as can be found in Google Play.If you are a developer, then it’s a go-to site for you.

DISCLOSURE: I freely admit to being buried up to my nose in the Google universe (Youtube/Gmail/Chrome/Play/etc.) for quite some time now. After switching 50/50 to a Firefox/DuckDuckGo with extensions such as Ublock and autocookie delete, searches and youtube are completely different experiences. No autofill in searches for example and no rabbit hole of recommended videos on youtube. Its been an eye opening 6 months running both side by side.

Its been a real blessing to be more targeted in my research and less dependent on Googles algorithms for results.

good information on google that "doesn't want another President Trump" (their statement) so they change search's where only democrat swamp stories come up.

I start with the progun dog pile then duck duck go.then its Bing and yahoo. If I still need it I try google search last and always last !

Today Senator Ted Cruz questioned the ghouls at google and they sounded so innocent denying everything.
Typical libtard will lie when the truth would serve them better.

Google is a private company and they have every right to be in the tank for democrats. They have every right to censor speech and everything else that goes with it.

Im am always looking for new ways to cut democrat media and companys from our lives !
Thanx OP
Old 06-26-2019, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been using duckduckgo/Edge and *****ute. I'd love to find an android alternative. Maybe a pure Linux phone build.

Edit: seriously? Bit chute is a naughty phrase?

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth

Last edited by njineermike; 06-26-2019 at 5:56 PM..
Old 06-28-2019, 6:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

What steps do they take to make sure apps do not have viruses or spyware?
Old 06-28-2019, 8:18 AM

Quote:

I moved away for a long time! Google alternatives are:

Lineage OS - Android without google

F-Droid - Google play store kinda but can be used to add aurora or Yalp to download things from google play

For pcs I moved to ubuntu since debian is a pita to configure and get things running with normal software.

Also use ublock origin and stop all requests from the router to google or their services

A good youtube proxy alternative is invidio.us! Check it out!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:28 AM

I'm waiting to see how the Librem 5 phone plays out, phone with linux Pure OS due out 3rd quarter 2019. However I've seen their release dates come and go a couple of times before but looks to be well worth the wait.

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
Old 06-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I use the DDG (duckduckgo) cell app and is works well enough. Stopped using Gargle for a long time now.

I have used DDG as a start page on Firefox (on desk/laptop machines) for a long time and do the YT video browsing from inside the browser.

Start Page was highly mediocre last time I tried it, but might want to kick the tires on it and see.
IIRC if has some Gargle bits being used there. IKD?

DDG for good relevant searches.
*Signal for privacy txt messages on cell and desk/laptop machines.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-28-2019, 1:17 PM

[QUOTE=njineermike;23148587]I've been using duckduckgo/Edge and *****ute. I'd love to find an android alternative. Maybe a pure Linux phone build.

Edit: seriously? Bit chute is a naughty phrase?[/QUOTE]

Maybe just the first 5 letters of b1tchute. Good thing you're not searching for salt water fishtanks.
Old 06-28-2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I use the DDG (duckduckgo) cell app and is works well enough. Stopped using Gargle for a long time now.

I have used DDG as a start page on Firefox (on desk/laptop machines) for a long time and do the YT video browsing from inside the browser.

Start Page was highly mediocre last time I tried it, but might want to kick the tires on it and see.
IIRC if has some Gargle bits being used there. IKD?

DDG for good relevant searches.
*Signal for privacy txt messages on cell and desk/laptop machines.

are you using windows 7 and above? That is more intrusive than google!
Old 06-28-2019, 3:08 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
What steps do they take to make sure apps do not have viruses or spyware?
Open source writers typically distribute their source code so that anyone can inspect it which generally makes it safer and more secure.

Now I wouldnt download any app (open or not) from any platform the first week or month it was released or until it was thoroughly examined by others much more qualified than I. If an app has a back door or suspicious code it will come to the surface quickly.
Old 06-28-2019, 3:11 PM

If you're using Chrome, try switching to Brave, a privacy-oriented Chromium fork
-Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS, iOS versions
-excellent built-in ad blocking capabilities
-earn BAT crypto with their opt-in Brave Rewards ad program (currently desktop version only)
-use said BAT to tip websites & YouTube channels that have signed up with their program (CalGuns should sign up. Will be able to receive BAT via referral link and in-browser tips. https://brave.com/creators/)
Old 06-28-2019, 3:19 PM
CGSSA Associate

Need to get a coupon for a purchase or are you registering to a forum that requires using a link in an email and dont want to use your long-term or other email? 10MinuteMail.com is worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10minutemail View Post
Why would you use this? Maybe you want to sign up for a site which requires that you provide an e-mail address to send a validation e-mail to. And maybe you don't want to give up your real e-mail address and end up on a bunch of spam lists. This is nice and disposable. And it's free. Enjoy!

The accounts are completely secure, you are the only one with access to your emails. The emails and address itself expire in 10 minutes.

This site can help you avoid spam and losing your privacy! Enjoy!!
Old 06-28-2019, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
are you using windows 7 and above? That is more intrusive than google!
Linux Mint.
My old MS machines are not allowed to play on the www.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-28-2019, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcaller6 View Post
I'm waiting to see how the Librem 5 phone plays out, phone with linux Pure OS due out 3rd quarter 2019. However I've seen their release dates come and go a couple of times before but looks to be well worth the wait.

That looks promising.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great topic. I always try to find open source versions first and f-droid is the first place I check for apps. I trust them way more than apps on the play store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcaller6 View Post

Already ordered mine. Can't wait!
That being said, people that aren't highly privacy conscience or people that rely on a phone for work may want to wait a while on it.
Another reasonable option is to run AOSP software on their android phone and not have the google play services installed. This would be a more reliable solution until Purism and others get the major stuff smoothed out.
The Pinephone seems interesting as well. Hopefully the two phones will benefit each other on the software side. Not nearly as privacy oriented as the librem 5 though.

I have also been de-googleing my life lately. Like you OP, google had crept into my life without me realizing just how much.
I have now setup my own nextcloud server on a VPS, got a domain, and switch to fastmail which uses my domain for an unlimited amount of email addresses. I now can type in an email address specific for each site and if I start getting spam to that email address, I know who sold my information and can easily filter out mail that gets sent to that address. I REALLY wish I had done this years ago.
If anyone has questions about setting up their own cloud server, vps, or similar email setup I'll do my best to help.

Last edited by WoodTurner; 07-01-2019 at 10:34 PM..
Old 07-05-2019, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Most EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) reccommended software is pretty behind the times, at least in the distro cat, but I am not going cellphone free like Richard Stallman... On my PC I use Firefox, and never login to any Google services/pages w/out a private window (chrome saves even icognito browsing data, unlike Firefox, it seems).

I also don't do as much... Grey...-area stuff, like I used to, when I had not a lot to lose.

Last edited by the86d; 07-05-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-06-2019, 7:30 AM

"If you're using Chrome, try switching to Brave, a privacy-oriented Chromium fork"

thxx Dale........i just installed "Brave"........i like it a lot !
Old 07-06-2019, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
"If you're using Chrome, try switching to Brave, a privacy-oriented Chromium fork"

thxx Dale........i just installed "Brave"........i like it a lot !

ha ha ha ha ha

Its based of Chromium, that is the base for Chrome! Also as of late brave lets more ads in and also fb/goog/t are not blocked nor is anti fingerprinting turned on by default!
Old 07-06-2019, 8:26 AM

so whats the deal.......can anyone chime in......we have two posters contradicting each other.

Dale....what say you ?