Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-28-2019, 6:30 PM

Default Stories on Excellent Oldschool Duty Gear?

I just found out that Tex Shoemaker leather in San Dimas went out of business last year. As far as I knew, they had some great product quality and were willing to go the extra mile for LEO. I keep my eyes open for legacy duty gear often found used sitting in the back of dusty gun stores, laying on the ground in yard sales or swap meets.

I want to bring some life to some old gear, so I wanted to get some advice and stories on cool gear from the past that could keep an eye out for. I'm thinking about Don Hume, Pachmayr (the Magpul of the 90s), and Tex Shoemaker.

Last edited by Icypu; 02-28-2019 at 6:34 PM..
Old 03-03-2019, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Personally I think Hoyt was pretty much to top of the line back in the day. I've got one of the last holster's they custom made back in the late 90's, a high ride for a USP 45. I don't have a gun to put in it, but it's too nice a holster to just give away, besides it has my name on it.
Old 03-03-2019, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Personally I think Hoyt was pretty much to top of the line back in the day. I've got one of the last holster's they custom made back in the late 90's, a high ride for a USP 45. I don't have a gun to put in it, but it's too nice a holster to just give away, besides it has my name on it.
Yep, a Hoyt holster was the Cadillac holster of its era. I was very sad to see the company not in production any more.
Old 03-03-2019, 7:22 PM

I still have my Hoyt 6" holster for my revolver. I like it a lot.

I also had a 245 Gonzalez sap. My department authorized only 415 sap, but I carried 245 anyways. I can say that now, because I no longer work.
Old 03-03-2019, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I come across Bucheimer holsters a lot. I didn't realize Tex Shoemaker went out of business. I usually just acquire old holsters that come with older used guns I buy. If you actually seek this stuff out holster junk bins usually have older holsters and gear like that.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That's too bad that Tex Shoemaker went out of business. Tex was a good guy. I first met him at the first "Pig Run" that ended at Calico Ghost town. The "Pig Run" was a leo motorcycle charity run, with the monies collected going to a widows and children group (too many years, can't recall name of it) of deceased leos.

There were numerous vendors at Calico and Tex was one. He had a brand new quick draw revolver holster that he was demonstrating. I had a chance to meet and talk with him. Very friendly and former leo himself.

Years later, I went to his shop on a Saturday after calling to make sure they were open. He had told me to just come into his warehouse and find him. I needed a holster for my S&W Model 66 2 1/2" revolver. He had me follow him while he walked from bin to bin, shelf to shelf, pulling various parts that he needed. We went to his workbench and I watched him make the holster. He then gave it to me and refused to take my money; saying everything was locked up anyhow. It was interesting to watch him work while he told me his history in LE and his beginnings in the holster business.

There was a time where he supplied the Sam/Sally Browne's and accessories for LASD. It was what I was issued in 1976.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:43 AM
Calguns Addict

As Retired said, Tex was a great guy. I still have a black basket weave pancake holster for my 92F that Tex personally gave me.

At one time, he was the Chief of La Verne PD. He had a photo of him in his office holding a Thompson and his foot on the front bumper of a Model A police car. It was a really cool photo. He was also a deputy sheriff at one time in his lifetime.

I remember him backing me up on a traffic stop one time where I had three hard core parolees stopped. He and a friend were driving by in his pick up with the Tex Shoemaker logo on it when they saw me on the stop. They pulled in the parking lot next to me and got out. They were both probably in their 70’s at this point. One of the parolees impolitely asked them who they were. Tex revealed a hand cannon under his jacket and replied, “ We’re just a couple of cranky old citizens who don’t like dirt bags in our city and really don’t like them disrespecting our Deputy Sheriffs. One of the guys said, “What, are you going to shoot us?” and Tex replied, “You never know. At my age a life sentence just doesn’t mean as much.” I about busted a gut laughing, but they didn’t give me any trouble. All three ended up going to jail for suspicion of armed robbery. I found masks and a gun in the car. Two were wanted for parole violations.

For duty use, nothing compared to my Hoyt breakfront holster. I still have it.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 04-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Look what I found, LA County approved. Does anyone know how to use it?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Icypu; 04-15-2019 at 5:01 PM..
Old 04-16-2019, 9:32 PM

The Handler 12! Those were thought to be the next big thing back in the day(Late 80s). Never really caught on. Does LASD still approve them?

Last edited by CT-Copper; 04-17-2019 at 5:10 AM..
Old 05-17-2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Copper View Post
The Handler 12! Those were thought to be the next big thing back in the day(Late 80s). Never really caught on. Does LASD still approve them?
I've haven't found a person who knows how these are used.

On a separate note, can someone pm me a tailor that can make my itchy wool pants have larger left front pockets with Velcro tear aways? I also need a totally new left rear pocket for the same reason that I can't get my thing out of my pocket in any time, especially when sitting down.

They have to look the same on the outside.

Old 05-17-2019, 6:17 PM

Clamshell holster, FTW. I had a 6" and a 4". Some had an Ace of Spades card inside that was visible when the holster opened. Not me, of course!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icypu View Post
I just found out that Tex Shoemaker leather in San Dimas went out of business last year. As far as I knew, they had some great product quality and were willing to go the extra mile for LEO. I keep my eyes open for legacy duty gear often found used sitting in the back of dusty gun stores, laying on the ground in yard sales or swap meets.

I want to bring some life to some old gear, so I wanted to get some advice and stories on cool gear from the past that could keep an eye out for. I'm thinking about Don Hume, Pachmayr (the Magpul of the 90s), and Tex Shoemaker.
I have seen huge boxes full of dusty duty leather gear at gun shows over the years. No one ever really seemed to even look at it, so I bet such stuff can be had for virtually nothing.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I have never seen one used, but it looks like sort of mechanically assisted wristlock device.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Sounds like you have good PC to go out and find a nice USP to mate it with.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM

Gonzalez Sap was good. My agency only authorized 415 Saps, but I carried a 245 one anyways. I can talk about it now, because I am not working anymore...
Old 05-18-2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
Gonzalez Sap was good. My agency only authorized 415 Saps, but I carried a 245 one anyways. I can talk about it now, because I am not working anymore...
Do you know which tailor can make my pants pockets better?
Old 05-19-2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
I am retired and in 4th year of it. I have no clue who can do it.
Old 05-20-2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:

I was trained in use of one in the 80s, but no frickin way did I retain any of it. Only way I ever saw one used was an impact tool in lieu of a baton. Baton worked much better.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you’re located, but Marcy’s European Tailoring in Ventura can probably do that for you. She did some custom work for me on a rear pocket to accommodate a M36 many years back. Her husband is retired Oxnard PD. Give her a call. 805-641-0228.
Old 05-25-2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCGC_RangeManager View Post
Not sure where you’re located, but Marcy’s European Tailoring in Ventura can probably do that for you. She did some custom work for me on a rear pocket to accommodate a M36 many years back. Her husband is retired Oxnard PD. Give her a call. 805-641-0228.
Thanks for the tip, I ended up taking it to Tom's in Alhambra, if I'm up in Ventura I'd check them out. We have just been informed that cargo pants will be in policy but we are NFD on that so far. It's hard getting an semi in a pocket and still being within inspection criteria.