Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-24-2022, 4:20 PM

Default Food shortages/earthquake prep

So, we prep pretty well. Dry goods for a a couple months. Couple weeks/months of canned food, and we also garden on our land for fresh veggies and herbs. Have fresh water supplies, and lots of meds/first aid stuff.

Thinking about grabbing a normal 10 cubic ft chest freezer to stock up on a few staple proteins.

Brands/models to avoid?

GroundTurkey, fish(double wrapped), and pork are our staples. We dont do beef.

Any storage tips?
Old 03-24-2022, 4:36 PM

Go cheap they work, Costco has them I believe, don’t worry about the brand. Their 7’ is $300. Sorry I just learned they went up since I go mine
Old 03-24-2022, 4:41 PM

Definitely vacuum pack the meal. They can be cooked and packed to simplify prep later on. If ur land allows, you can raise chicken too
Old 03-24-2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djantlive View Post
Definitely vacuum pack the meal. They can be cooked and packed to simplify prep later on. If ur land allows, you can raise chicken too
Ok, cool. I’ll have to do some research on simple meals to prep and vacuum sealing equipment.
Old 03-24-2022, 4:44 PM

Default Dehydration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
So, we prep pretty well. Dry goods for a a couple months. Couple weeks/months of canned food, and we also garden on our land for fresh veggies and herbs. Have fresh water supplies, and lots of meds/first aid stuff.

Thinking about grabbing a normal 10 cubic ft chest freezer to stock up on a few staple proteins.

Brands/models to avoid?

Any storage tips?
Look to a dehydrator. Meat can last 25 years.
Old 03-24-2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:

Brands/models to avoid?

Any storage tips?
I don’t see the point of a freezer for earthquakes. Your meat would defrost and go bad pretty quickly unless you have a generator then your generator could draw in robbers…. A freezer could be good in a hyper inflation scenario where food prices go up every day. Maybe buy a Tesla battery with solar to power your house that would be really cool
Old 03-24-2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Go cheap they work, Costco has them I believe, don’t worry about the brand. Their 7’ is $300. Sorry I just learned they went up since I go mine
I think I got that same little 7' back in July 2020 for $140. I do wish last week I bought the up right they had on the floor at $600.

1984 was supposed to be a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Time magazine bragging about how they stole the election: https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/
Old 03-24-2022, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

storage tips? I always tell people all you need is a large rotated pantry

frozen food...I would get things like ..fat large roasts ...they last longer before freezer burning

Old 03-24-2022, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Last year I sold a working small chest freezer for $80, I regret it now.

M76
Old 03-24-2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoseskater View Post
I don’t see the point of a freezer for earthquakes. Your meat would defrost and go bad pretty quickly unless you have a generator then your generator could draw in robbers…. A freezer could be good in a hyper inflation scenario where food prices go up every day. Maybe buy a Tesla battery with solar to power your house that would be really cool
We live in a rural area. A small quiet Honda genset would be fairly innocuous. Also, a 1500 jackery battery box with solar recharging would probably do fine for at least a few days during a major “act of God” incident.

For stocking up on food, we simply would rather grab food now while it’s around and affordable, and also to minimize our trips to the store.
Old 03-24-2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangzoom View Post
storage tips? I always tell people all you need is a large rotated pantry

frozen food...I would get things like ..fat large roasts ...they last longer before freezer burning
Good to know, thx!
Old 03-24-2022, 9:54 PM

For Earthquake dry food is best. Rich, beans, flowers and cans meat. And you need some water storage too.
Old 03-25-2022, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpan View Post
For Earthquake dry food is best. Rich, beans, flowers and cans meat. And you need some water storage too.
Mentioned that in my first post, tigerpan, but thanks for reiterating. Definitely good to stock up on the basics!
Old 03-25-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Any storage tips?
IMO, stock what you use, remember spices and seasonings, most of which keep really well, and once the desired supply is in place, rotate through it like you would going to the grocery store or ordering online.

I mark the case lots I lay in with their stocking date and have a simple clipboard on the shed wall with inventory and use FIFO. Only exception is if I happen to get something with a close-in sell-by date I'll move it up in rotation.

Water for the dispenser is treated the same way, bottles are labeled by when I filled them and rotated through the machine. All my water comes from on site and the creek is the designated backup for the filtration equipment so I usually only keep two months drinking supply on hand in bottles.

Scale as needed for human numbers and any pets. Things get more complex if doing animal husbandry depending on animal type.

Storage is a factor as well. If preferring items that must be kept cold/frozen, factor those systems in. I live in a cool, moist climate so pretty much keep stuff dry and at ambient outside temps in a small building I constructed for raw materials and inventory from my prior business. The exception is specific goods which attract vermin; those are stored in specific areas of the house.

Try different things, find what you like and what makes for a flexible menu and settle on a plan of action. I spent the last couple years living on five bucks a day for food and learned a lot from doing that. Lost some weight too. Not a bad idea at my age. Good luck!

Last edited by user120312; 03-25-2022 at 10:39 AM..
Old 03-25-2022, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

a friend uses a triply pantry

for the items they use - they keep 2 more in a side garage

Say you like canned soup

6 pack in pantry
2 six packs in the garage

when empty-
move one to kitchen pantry- move rear item forward and replace.

you rotate through the food...

--
store stuff you like

Moral sucks when the world shuts down
having food you or kids hate as it has a long shelf life- its not ideal...

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:33 PM

A couple of atypical options:

Pemmican is a Native American food they used for traveling. It's calorie rich and lasts darn near forever. I think they found some that was 500 years old and still edible. Not that I'd try. It's really really dried meat, mixed with nuts and dried fruit, maybe some salt, and bound with a beef tallow. The taste leaves a bit to be desired, but effective. I've used it for hiking and serves a purpose.

The second option is even more odd, but if your in need it'll work just fine and is something most people have but don't consider. Dog kibble. It's meant to be very stable in less than sterile storage situations, and edible. Obviously not a preferred go to, but if SHTF, your three weeks in, and rations aren't lasting as long as you anticipated (either due to # of people or spoilage), it is an option.
Old 03-25-2022, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged for information.

Been thinking about a chest freezer as well but we are very limited on space.

I have more freeze dried goods and MRE's though.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 03-25-2022, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Brands/models to avoid?

Any storage tips?
Catch your own fish and vacuum seal. Or buy frozen fish already sealed. Don’t buy “fresh” fish and freeze it. Different fish freeze better than others. Salmon, halibut, tuna freeze good.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 03-25-2022 at 4:52 PM..
Old 03-27-2022, 2:39 PM

https://www.theepochtimes.com/russia...ost%20affected.

Those with K9s best up the bags of kibble
Old 03-27-2022, 6:47 PM

Not a deal. Wow
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-F...-Can/765415051

My order last year

Shipped on April 24, 2021

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Augason Farms Honey White Bread Scone & Roll Mix 3 lbs 10 oz No. 10 Can. $16.04
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
Old 03-27-2022, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoseskater View Post
I don’t see the point of a freezer for earthquakes. Your meat would defrost and go bad pretty quickly unless you have a generator then your generator could draw in robbers….
A chest freezer is SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT than an upright freezer. When you open the top of a chest freezer, the cold air stays in it (since cold air is dense). When you open an upright freezer, all of the cold air falls out the bottom half of the freezer, so when you close the freezer again, it has to cycle on to "re-freeze" all of that new warm air you just added to it.

For that same reason, the food in upright freezers gets "freezer burnt" much faster, since it's the frequent increase/decrease in freezer temps that causes the burn.

I've read reports of people who had power outages in California or elsewhere lasting several days, and the food in their chest freezer never thawed out, as long as they didn't open it very often.

If you're going to get a chest freezer, I'd do some research and get one with the highest insulation value. You should be fine for a few days without power. Keep it as full as possible, of course (the more mass in there, the better).

The only downside to chest freezers is that it's a real pain in the *** to get at what's on the bottom! Probably a good idea to keep a notepad next to it or taped to it, with a list of what you put at the bottom many months ago. Or make a point of EATING what's at the bottom, on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
https://www.theepochtimes.com/russia...ost%20affected.

Those with K9s best up the bags of kibble
I couldn't read the full article because it asks for an email address. I guess you gave them yours so you could have full access to their articles?
Old 03-27-2022, 9:55 PM

I think most brands are solid… I would stay away from any kind of “smart device”- too many components to break and worry about. Bare bones deep freezer should do just fine.
Old 03-28-2022, 8:10 AM

Old chest freezers can last an amazingly long time. With all the old folks moving through the pearly gates these days, that generation of 'stocking up' and hanging on to old working stuff is rapidly departing so keep an eye on estate and garage sales for old chest freezers. If they currently work, it's highly likely they'll outlive us.

My neighbor here in Oregon has one and when the power was out for a week during a snow/ice storm in January she said she didn't lose any items in the chest freezer but did lose some in her kitchen refer. However, she went to a neighbors during the outage and the house chilled to the high 40's inside so that was a factor as well.

I set my place up so I can be gone for months at a time and not worry about power outages. Never know where battles will be fought or when or how the grid will go down. Others have different priorities.

Oh, also, if one has dated items in their bolt bag, be sure to rotate those out as well. I use a sharpie and masking tape and leave labels on stuff that has food in it, dating it when the earliest items expire for rotation. Then, any time the power goes out and a training exercise is triggered, everything is accessed and assessed. IMO, don't expect stuff to be OK when needed. Check it regularly.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:38 PM

Default Freeze dried + water

I recommend Mountain House freeze dried food.

https://mountainhouse.com/

It's expensive (up 40%+ since 2020) but has a long shelf life, and just requires hot water. It's high in calories, best taste (I tested a couple) compared to Auguson farms, ReadyWise, but is hard to find on Amazon and Costco.

Walmart seems to have these in stock in the camping section.

Have water storage and a heat source, and this should support you in a disaster situation.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:50 PM

Thanks so much, everyone, for the input. Grabbed a 8 cu ft GE chest freezer and made a quick Costco run to start our rotating frozen food supply. Probably have about 20-30 dinner\lunch leftover meals worth of frozen salmon, shrimp, Chicken, ground turkey, pork ribs and a large pork roast. Feels great to have ample supplies on hand for the ease of not having to shop so often and also for the possible shortages or for disaster planning

All that and the freezer is only about 1/3-1/2 full.
Could easily pack much more into it.

Now i think i’m going to calculate the power draw and pickup a quiet, used honda genset or a jackery power station with solar panel trickle charging, and also look into the other food storage strategies y’all mentioned.
Old 04-02-2022, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks so much, everyone, for the input. Grabbed a 8 cu ft GE chest freezer and made a quick Costco run to start our rotating frozen food supply. Probably have about 20-30 dinner\lunch leftover meals worth of frozen salmon, shrimp, Chicken, ground turkey, pork ribs and a large pork roast. Feels great to have ample supplies on hand for the ease of not having to shop so often and also for the possible shortages or for disaster planning

All that and the freezer is only about 1/3-1/2 full.
Could easily pack much more into it.

Now i think i’m going to calculate the power draw and pickup a quiet, used honda genset or a jackery power station with solar panel trickle charging, and also look into the other food storage strategies y’all mentioned.
Tip.
Fill the empty space with water jugs and let'em freeze. Swap them out as you add more food.

When the power goes out the extra frozen water will help the frozen food stay frozen longer or until power returns or genny gets fired up. Freezer won't need to cycle as much to keep cold. Saves power.

*old milk or fruit juice jugs work great for this. Even old 1 pt water bottles if you buy water.
*I don't need to explain why we should NOT fill them to the top do I?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-02-2022, 8:07 AM

Also I highly recommend using an alarm on the plug for your freezer!! Highly recommended because I had a problem once. I described it in a different thread and don’t want to relive the stinch in my head again. PUT AN ALARM ON IT for when the power isn’t there to keep it cold. I tripped breaker WILL ruin your day and create a lifelong memory of nasty rotten stinky juice at the bottom of your freezer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I despise Trump.
Old 04-02-2022, 9:18 AM

In addition to a power alarm, or to consolidate with it, I recall a simple setup I had on the absorption fridge in the camper; it had a sensor in the freezer compartment that went to a unit velcro'ed to the door through a ribbon cable (this was 20+ years ago tech) and it read out the temperature in the freezer plus beeped if the temp rose above a pre-set value. Saved my bacon (literally) more than once, usually if on LP and the flame going out for whatever reason and not re-lighting.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Tip.
Fill the empty space with water jugs and let'em freeze. Swap them out as you add more food.

When the power goes out the extra frozen water will help the frozen food stay frozen longer or until power returns or genny gets fired up. Freezer won't need to cycle as much to keep cold. Saves power.

*old milk or fruit juice jugs work great for this. Even old 1 pt water bottles if you buy water.
*I don't need to explain why we should NOT fill them to the top do I?
This is great. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
Also I highly recommend using an alarm on the plug for your freezer!! Highly recommended because I had a problem once. I described it in a different thread and don’t want to relive the stinch in my head again. PUT AN ALARM ON IT for when the power isn’t there to keep it cold. I tripped breaker WILL ruin your day and create a lifelong memory of nasty rotten stinky juice at the bottom of your freezer.
Also great. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2022, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Avoid any appliance with the Samsung name on it.
Old 04-27-2022, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

what are the chances that the food situation will stabilize after this year with threats to food shortages and fertilizer shortages?
Acts 2:38
Old 04-27-2022, 9:29 AM

IMO, think back to when Trump was POTUS before Covid hit; did any of us think we'd be exactly where we are today? That seems like a lifetime ago to me.

I've never been a prepper, rather a typical rural lifer who planned for the unexpected. Other than the destruction to my business the Covid op hasn't really changed life much. Adapt and overcome.