Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 05-30-2019, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Outstanding
Old 05-30-2019, 6:39 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inexpensive but nice solid little dagger, It arrived a bit dull (False edged) but I got it sharpened up nicely to the point I have to be very careful handling it now.
I CCW when hiking but got this on my other side as a backup cougar sticker.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 05-30-2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Two new-to-me Randall Made knives

Model #16-7” SP1 Fighter with stainless blade, border patrol grip, and a Spec Ops sheath

Model #12-9” Sportsman Bowie with #14 blade grind, stainless blade, #25 handle with Ivorite center, brass forward curve double hilt, brass butt cap and a throng hole.

I have always had a soft spot for the 16 Special Fighter. Nice choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
FRN isn't that sticky, and the scallop texture probably slides on pocket like anything else. Certain textures of G10 are sticky in pockets. If anything that flipper on the Sea Dog might grab a keyring Usually its a trade-off. Stuff that grips better in-hand has friction on fabric or denim. Some stuff can be TOO slick... like some ZT's CF versions compared to the G10 versions.

They offer different textures too... the tan one looks good also, but I like OD.

Been meaning to try a TUYAKNIFE Bruiser, but don't carry the OD green Chinese liner lock that I have already (WEKNIFE 617 IIRC).

Can you confirm they have bearings?
It’s spring assisted but probably not. They don’t include that info in their marketing.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 AM

Push daggers are legal if open carried, correct? https://youtu.be/ONH7iHCBVFI
Old 06-05-2019, 5:40 PM

i just got this early handmade RH Ruana leaf spring knife is all.....lol

Old 06-06-2019, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Nice, might want to think about a letter of authenticity by Ruana. They can refurbish it for you and increase its value.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Picked up a couple of Spydercos, the Manix 2 went in my pocket and the Salt 2 goes in my emergency kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 3:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddingShooter View Post
i just got this early handmade RH Ruana leaf spring knife is all.....lol

Nice Bowie, Ruana's been around for a long time, 1938, Bo Randall started with leaf springs blades about the same time, Randall said Dodge had the best ones for knife blades. Is that a walnut handle? Walnut is said to be period correct to the early Black made Bowie knives of the 1830's-1860's.

Thanks for sharing
Old 06-07-2019, 6:36 PM

Got this little guy today, really like it

Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

My last 3 purchases.

Old 06-10-2019, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post

My last 3 purchases.

Since you are loving those CR's, can you compare and contrast them to something like a ZT? Just curious as I've never even held one. Do they have a deserved mystique based on insane unmatched quality... or is it more of a 1911 type mystique. Just kidding, 1911 guys.
Old 06-10-2019, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just arrived.. Just might be my new EDC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Since you are loving those CR's, can you compare and contrast them to something like a ZT? Just curious as I've never even held one. Do they have a deserved mystique based on insane unmatched quality... or is it more of a 1911 type mystique. Just kidding, 1911 guys.

At one time I had about 6 CRKs in my rotation. Along with Sypdercos, Benchmades,Buck 110&112s and a few ZTs.
When automatics became legal in Wisconsin I switched to autos and have been very happy with the change.
CRKs handles are machined titanium that get snail trails very easily. But the knives are unmatched in their quality. I think, personally that ZTs can't compete with the CRK. Expensive but worth the coin. I think the ZTs is maybe a step up from the Spyderco. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-11-2019, 9:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
I think, personally that ZTs can't compete with the CRK. Expensive but worth the coin. I think the ZTs is maybe a step up from the Spyderco. Just my 2 cents.
I'll have to check one out. With ZT there is so much variety... big difference between something like a 0566, 0055, 0804, 0452, etc... such a wide range of designs. CRK has large and small, right? I always thought the tanto versions were cool looking. I like some of the materials they use for inlays, but the inlay pattern is something I was never crazy about.

As far as price... you can pay $400 for some new China made Spyderco... so there's that. If they are good knives they might be worth it.
Old 06-11-2019, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
At one time I had about 6 CRKs in my rotation.
So with say, a year's use, CRK's have zero lock stick and zero blade wobble?
Old 06-11-2019, 6:48 PM

Just bought a Kiser Kesmec. $140 for flame ano Titanium and s35vn.
I like it. Only complaint is that the detent is a bit soft.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/kizer-c...ng-knife.html?
Old 06-11-2019, 7:48 PM

Default Whats your latest knife purchase?

Quote:

I'd have to say yes that's true. Then again I had so many USERS and I didn't buy them just to say I owned this and that knife. My most costly CRK was a Raindrop Stainless Damascus with a tanto blade. Bad a** blade. I even had a few left hand CRK in order to see what it was to carry two at once.
Then if a CRK of mine had a problem I'd just send it back to Idaho. You could do the same.

Last edited by Blademan21; 06-11-2019 at 7:51 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
Just bought a Kiser Kesmec. $140 for flame ano Titanium and s35vn.
I like it. Only complaint is that the detent is a bit soft.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/kizer-c...ng-knife.html?
That's my complaint about WEknives I have owned or tried. Most things seemed ok to good, except maybe blade steel, anemic liner lock, barely passing detent... awesome bearings. When Chinmese knives get much beyond $40 it is hard for me to see the point. Even Spyderco's... I'd rather pay for Golden CO, Earth made stuff like the PM's.

CHEAP Kershaw and cheap Spyderco are mostly crappy.

FWIW, the only KIZER I have is a KLECKER and it had a good detent - not a flipper, no bearings either.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'd have to say yes that's true. Then again I had so many USERS and I didn't buy them just to say I owned this and that knife.
Yeah, I have been downsizing collecting for years now. I got rid of a ton of knives, keeping what I really like. I think all folders are carried, and most fixed blades were eliminated. I still have one INFI Team Gemini, and a bunch old Regulators, TALIWHACKERS, and older SYKCO. Got rid of stuff like $400 13" choppers etc... last time I chopped something I used a cheapo South African Cold Steel Kukri or stripped SYKCO CHOPHOUSE. I'm pretty much off the BUSSE waiting list club.

As far as folders... I could probably be fine with a ZT 0456BW and maybe a 0450... and my GEC's. Still collect GECS.

Old 06-12-2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
I'll have to check one out. With ZT there is so much variety... big difference between something like a 0566, 0055, 0804, 0452, etc... such a wide range of designs. CRK has large and small, right? I always thought the tanto versions were cool looking. I like some of the materials they use for inlays, but the inlay pattern is something I was never crazy about.

As far as price... you can pay $400 for some new China made Spyderco... so there's that. If they are good knives they might be worth it.
CRK has several models. The traditional folders are the Sebenzas. They have made large and small for a long time and have gone through a couple of generations from the originals, to the Classic, to the Sebenza 21 series which is now going away and being replaced by the Sebenza 31. If you've liked the inlaid Sebenzas, but ddin't like the inlay pattern, you'll probably like the new Sebenza 31. The inlays are one piece and they've done away with the fixture hole that was used during the manufacturing process. You can see the new Sebenza 31 here:

https://chrisreeve.com/

Besides changing the inlays, they've gone to a ceramic detent ball as well as changed the clip to be more like their Inkosi series.

Quote:
What put Chris Reeve folders on the map is the precision with which they are made. They are in a different class than ZT. I'd guess their machining tolerances are about as good as any custom I've owned. When one is open, it feels about like it's a fixed blade the lockup is so solid. That said, they're not for everyone. I have one in my collection. It's a small original and I only own it as it's the same model as the first expensive knife I ever bought (which I lost). Before my original Sebenza, I was Cold Steel (Steal) and after 9/11, I decided that I wanted something in my pocket that was better than a Chinese made knife. The Large Sebenza has never fit my hand right, the Umnumzaan never lit my fuse and the Inkosis don't work for me ergonomically. They are top quality in materials and manufacturing, but to me have no soul.

Oh, and if you get one, expect it to be stiff to open and for it to take a fair amount of time for that to change. These days, they include a small tube of Flourinated grease. It's grease, not oil, so should give you an idea as to their flickability. If you like ZT flippers, forget CRK as they are just the opposite. Opening a CRK folder is a deliberate act. I've met Chris and Anne many times over the years at shows and they're pleasant people and their company produces top quality tools and they stand behind them with a good warranty. They are designed to be users and some even have pretty decorations. Unlike many high end knives, they include tools to break the knives down for service.
Old 06-12-2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
CRK has several models. The traditional folders are the Sebenzas. They have made large and small for a long time and have gone through a couple of generations from the originals, to the Classic, to the Sebenza 21 series which is now going away and being replaced by the Sebenza 31. If you've liked the inlaid Sebenzas, but ddin't like the inlay pattern, you'll probably like the new Sebenza 31. The inlays are one piece and they've done away with the fixture hole that was used during the manufacturing process. You can see the new Sebenza 31 here:

https://chrisreeve.com/

Besides changing the inlays, they've gone to a ceramic detent ball as well as changed the clip to be more like their Inkosi series.

What put Chris Reeve folders on the map is the precision with which they are made. They are in a different class than ZT. I'd guess their machining tolerances are about as good as any custom I've owned. When one is open, it feels about like it's a fixed blade the lockup is so solid. That said, they're not for everyone. I have one in my collection. It's a small original and I only own it as it's the same model as the first expensive knife I ever bought (which I lost). Before my original Sebenza, I was Cold Steel (Steal) and after 9/11, I decided that I wanted something in my pocket that was better than a Chinese made knife. The Large Sebenza has never fit my hand right, the Umnumzaan never lit my fuse and the Inkosis don't work for me ergonomically. They are top quality in materials and manufacturing, but to me have no soul.

Oh, and if you get one, expect it to be stiff to open and for it to take a fair amount of time for that to change. These days, they include a small tube of Flourinated grease. It's grease, not oil, so should give you an idea as to their flickability. If you like ZT flippers, forget CRK as they are just the opposite. Opening a CRK folder is a deliberate act. I've met Chris and Anne many times over the years at shows and they're pleasant people and their company produces top quality tools and they stand behind them with a good warranty. They are designed to be users and some even have pretty decorations. Unlike many high end knives, they include tools to break the knives down for service.

Excellent feedback. I too met Chris at a few California gun/knife shows back when he first started to get known for his close tolerance blades. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
When one is open, it feels about like it's a fixed blade the lockup is so solid.

Oh, and if you get one, expect it to be stiff to open and for it to take a fair amount of time for that to change. These days, they include a small tube of Flourinated grease. It's grease, not oil, so should give you an idea as to their flickability. If you like ZT flippers, forget CRK as they are just the opposite. Opening a CRK folder is a deliberate act.
Yeah I have to check one out. I don't know how much more solid a lockup can be than a ZT that doesn't have any blade play up-down or side-to-side... I have seen plenty of Spyderco and Benchmades that have too much slop in various directions where I almost expect it. Benchmade bushings are often not a good fit with their machining tolerances. Any Spyderco that doesn't have a traditional pivot like a Centofante3 rivet, FRN light models, China made models that are not $300, etc... I have seen PM2's that are hydraulic in their action and have little to no blade play. Cheap Kershaws are SLOP city.

I don't expect any ZT to have movement when locked up... and cannot recall one that had any even after using it for a year or more. Maybe it is easier with bearing washers and lockbar inserts, but they are solid.

As far as locking up "like a fixed blade", that's the TRI-AD lock and the new stronger Cold Steel lock's claim to fame, but those are not expensive.

Bottom line, I'll have to handle a few CRK's. It is admittedly, not a priority. I'd probably go for a plain jane large Sebenza if it knocked my socks off. I do like flippers though. Last time I was into deliberate opening thumbstud liner locks was the 1990's (I do realize they are RIL's
Old 06-13-2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah I have to check one out. I don't know how much more solid a lockup can be than a ZT that doesn't have any blade play up-down or side-to-side... I have seen plenty of Spyderco and Benchmades that have too much slop in various directions where I almost expect it. Benchmade bushings are often not a good fit with their machining tolerances. Any Spyderco that doesn't have a traditional pivot like a Centofante3 rivet, FRN light models, China made models that are not $300, etc... I have seen PM2's that are hydraulic in their action and have little to no blade play. Cheap Kershaws are SLOP city.

I don't expect any ZT to have movement when locked up... and cannot recall one that had any even after using it for a year or more. Maybe it is easier with bearing washers and lockbar inserts, but they are solid.

As far as locking up "like a fixed blade", that's the TRI-AD lock and the new stronger Cold Steel lock's claim to fame, but those are not expensive.

Bottom line, I'll have to handle a few CRK's. It is admittedly, not a priority. I'd probably go for a plain jane large Sebenza if it knocked my socks off. I do like flippers though. Last time I was into deliberate opening thumbstud liner locks was the 1990's (I do realize they are RIL's
Don't know where you are in Cali, but if you're near Encino, there's a reputable dealer that has a very large assortment of CRK on display and available for fondling. When you handle one, you'll understand my comments vs ZT. For reference, one of my favorite production knives is a ZT 0609 RJ Martin collab. It's very similar to a Sebenza on paper as far as overall size and quality of materials, but if you use them both, you will quickly understand the differences. To me, the CRK is built to better specs like a Les Baer or Nighthawk 1911, but the ZT is a knife I'll actually carry and use and seems more like a Kimber if that makes sense?
Old 06-14-2019, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Don't know where you are in Cali, but if you're near Encino, there's a reputable dealer that has a very large assortment of CRK on display and available for fondling. When you handle one, you'll understand my comments vs ZT. For reference, one of my favorite production knives is a ZT 0609 RJ Martin collab. It's very similar to a Sebenza on paper as far as overall size and quality of materials, but if you use them both, you will quickly understand the differences. To me, the CRK is built to better specs like a Les Baer or Nighthawk 1911, but the ZT is a knife I'll actually carry and use and seems more like a Kimber if that makes sense?
Thanks for the info. I am near Sacramento. I will definitely check one out if I see one somewhere. What does a Large Sebenza weigh in at? Curious how much the slabs have to do with solid feel. One of the things I like about knives like the ZT 0801 are the two titanium slabs... but something like the 0804CF is solid enough with that CF weight reduction... and flips like a champ.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That's my complaint about WEknives I have owned or tried. Most things seemed ok to good, except maybe blade steel, anemic liner lock, barely passing detent... awesome bearings. When Chinmese knives get much beyond $40 it is hard for me to see the point. Even Spyderco's... I'd rather pay for Golden CO, Earth made stuff like the PM's.

CHEAP Kershaw and cheap Spyderco are mostly crappy.

FWIW, the only KIZER I have is a KLECKER and it had a good detent - not a flipper, no bearings either.
Try Bestech. I have a Paladin and a Scimitar. G10, D2, AWESOME detents and actions. $52.

They are AMAZING for the money. Better than some knives I have spent 2 or 3 times as much on.
Old 06-14-2019, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
Try Bestech. I have a Paladin and a Scimitar. G10, D2, AWESOME detents and actions. $52.

They are AMAZING for the money. Better than some knives I have spent 2 or 3 times as much on.
I've seen Bestech on Amazon... and the TUYA's. Everyone seems to love the Honey Badger's but out of those $40-$50 imports I'd try a TUYA Bruiser I think.
Old 06-14-2019, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Just bought this Kershaw Field Folder (1050) off of eBay.
Nice one. Kershaw made some interesting hunting type knives with wood inlays... some were from Japan.

That is a nice looking lockback.
Old 06-14-2019, 3:13 PM

Have you folks ever tried an xm-18? If you like the design and ergos of a ZT 0562. You should like the xm-18 in either 3” or 3.5”. I’ve handled the CRK’s i find them to be very nice knives and very well built, but just didn’t wow me. I felt that they would easily slip out of my hand. But if it’s intended as more of a high end gentleman’s knife. They are awesome knives. I prefer something a bit more utilitarian. I prefer carrying my xm-18 3” and at times would carry the 3.5” when wearing jeans.

Another knife I would recommend that comes at a good price point are the hogue Doug Ritter knives. Better built than a Benchmade Griptilian, has m390 steel and g10 grips, go for $152 but are currently on preorder. I definitely like mine and see it as a user.

Last edited by snacks; 06-14-2019 at 3:16 PM..
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post
Have you folks ever tried an xm-18? If you like the design and ergos of a ZT 0562. You should like the xm-18 in either 3” or 3.5”. I’ve handled the CRK’s i find them to be very nice knives and very well built, but just didn’t wow me.
No Hinderers, but I've had a 0560, 0566CF, Cryo, Ember, Thermite, and really checked out the 0562 a lot. I liked them... but gravitated towards the Rexfords and Sinkevichs more.
Old 06-18-2019, 1:36 PM

For the price they are pricey. The definite sweet spot are the ZT branded hinderer designs. I have a 0562ti that I enjoy flipping. Have a xm 18 3.0 and 3.5. Definitely like the 3.0 over the 3.5 due to size. But sadly if I am carrying a knife for edc I take my Bugout. So the other knives are just sitting here. I have definitely been contemplating offloading some of them to free up cash
Old 06-23-2019, 5:06 PM

Picked up a ZT0562cf yesterday.

Super sweet!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Just bought this Kershaw Field Folder (1050) off of eBay.

It has been on my "buy list" for a long time and this knife/sheath combo is the best I've seen in all that time that I could buy for a price I was willing to pay.

Only a few other knives still remaining on my "buy list" now. A plain edged Spyderco Renegade, ZT0200ST and a Hom Basilisk.

I have that entire series! Bought them new almost 40 years ago. Micarta handles held up well...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 06-25-2019, 9:11 PM

CRKT 'Obake'. Check out the little skull on the lanyard. Can attach it to holsters, etc . . .

A little touch up with my Lansky sharpener and it shaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03128.jpg (81.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

I have a ZT0095BW inbound ����*♂️
Old 06-29-2019, 8:01 PM

Did a little buying/trading this week.

ZT 0562,0609,0452
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65494120_10216608786105986_3316648431157510144_o.jpg (96.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-01-2019, 7:04 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Knife Rights SOG Terminus

Check out all the prizes available when you donate to Kniferights.org in their 2019 Ultimate Steel giveaway.

Old 07-04-2019, 3:46 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

This Crawford Kasper might've just ruined all other knives for me!

Old 07-04-2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
This Crawford Kasper might've just ruined all other knives for me!

I have often looked at those and spoken to Pat Crawford and he seems like a nice guy, but I've never brought one home.

Congrats!
Old 07-04-2019, 9:26 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have often looked at those and spoken to Pat Crawford and he seems like a nice guy, but I've never brought one home.

Congrats!

Thanks. I grabbed it secondhand. I like the design and it’s executed really well. Becoming a sucker for DLC finishes too.

When I was a teen my MIL bought me a Benchmade Leopard Cub, designed by Crawford and I was hooked. So I’ve always had an affinity for his stuff but I typically stay out of this price range with folders.

I also have his survival staff contraption, which has always been fun to mess around with.