Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-27-2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradactal View Post
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but can somebody define clean background? Does that mean absolutely nothing on their record. I hit a couple bumps in the road in the past( about 10yrs ago) no felonies, and am wondering if that will prevent my CCW from being approved. Is that a judgement call on the sheriffs dept or are their written requirements for what your record must look like? I'm sure many people are in the same situation as I am. My appt is in July 2014 and I just wanted to be as prepared as I need to be.
I will respond with this - a few weeks ago I tuned 1360am radio to hear our Sherriff taking questions. I only got the last question.

"Sherriff will you give me a CCW if I got a DUI 15 years ago and there is nothing else on mr record?"

Sherriff : If you DISCLOSE this and your record is clean afterwards, I will give you a CCW.

So, IF YOU disclose your past AND you have a clean record - it is a good possibility - of course it all denpends on number of issues and what they were and how Lon you have been a good boy

History is a myth that men agree to believe.
Napoleon
Old 08-27-2013, 3:14 PM

In re-reading your question.... First Adam has to be re- elected.

And of course - be a good boy in the mean time

But back to June of 14. IF a new Sherriff gets elected - it a crap shoot

Napoleon
Old 08-27-2013, 8:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-06-2013, 4:58 PM

Exclamation

I downloaded the Stanislaus County Good Cause statements, CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms back on Feb 11, 2013. Since the file is no longer online, I've uploaded it to my own account. If Calguns wants to re-host that file, that'd be great, but in the meantime, here is the 49mb file.

stanislaus_county_ccw_good_cause.pdf

Note that the CCW Policy info has changed since then, so you'll want get the latest info direct from the Stanislaus Sheriff CCW webpage.

I'm still curious if my favorite CCW trainer, WTS, will still be allowed as acceptable CCW training after August, 2014. I suppose if they offer classroom and live fire closer to the Sheriff's Office at 250 E. Hackett Rd, Modesto (yeah, they now specify that exact address as the 35 mile starting point).

Last edited by Jason95357; 12-06-2013 at 5:10 PM..
Old 12-26-2013, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I'm still curious if my favorite CCW trainer, WTS, will still be allowed as acceptable CCW training after August, 2014. I suppose if they offer classroom and live fire closer to the Sheriff's Office at 250 E. Hackett Rd, Modesto (yeah, they now specify that exact address as the 35 mile starting point).
I guess people training 34 miles from the SO are somehow better?
Old 12-29-2013, 5:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Anyone living in Turlock that doesn't want to wait a year or more for an appointment with the Sheriff might try to apply with the Turlock PD. I recently heard that their process takes about a month (because they are only averaging 3-4 applicants per month) and the new Chief who's been there for a year now is not denying the majority of applicants like their old Chief had been.
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. Don't know if there are any additional illegal hoops to jump thru. Just wanted to pass this along. Seems to confirm what I've read on the last two pages of this thread.

Lucky beggars!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post13083392

Last edited by Paladin; 01-02-2014 at 5:56 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. Don't know if there are any additional illegal hoop to jump thru. Just wanted to pass this along. Seems to confirm what I've read on the last two pages of this thread.
I'm from Oakdale and that was the case when I first got my permit from the SO and to my knowledge that has not changed.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. Don't know if there are any additional illegal hoop to jump thru. Just wanted to pass this along. Seems to confirm what I've read on the last two pages of this thread.

Lucky beggars!

Lucky is relative. I mean, sure, I'm glad to get my CalCCW, but since the time I scheduled an appointment (Feb, 2013) I have taken classes for my Utah LTC and Nevada LTC and applied for and been granted both. I applied for my Oregon LTC yesterday and hear those get issued from Klamath Co. in about two weeks. Just seems like it takes way to long here in California, especially when Washington issued my LTC the very next day after I applied, so I know a non-resident background check doesn't take that long. Oh well, just another month or so until I can actually apply for my permit. Then a couple more months while they churn through that laborious background check process(that's sarcasm if you haven't guessed), and then I'll finally have it.
Old 05-12-2014, 1:23 PM

Had my appt. today and gave them the documents and did the live scan and picture. They said the doj/fbi check would take up to 12-13 weeks? Then the background det. would contact me, then if that's all good then I can go get my licence.
Also for everyone in stan. county they are no longer accepting modifications to existing CCW licences. If you want to add a gun or drop you have to wait tell your renew date
Old 05-12-2014, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsltech360 View Post
Had my appt. today and gave them the documents and did the live scan and picture. They said the doj/fbi check would take up to 12-13 weeks? Then the background det. would contact me, then if that's all good then I can go get my licence.
Also for everyone in stan. county they are no longer accepting modifications to existing CCW licences. If you want to add a gun or drop you have to wait tell your renew date
I got my phone interview at 5 weeks from submitting my application.
Old 05-28-2014, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

For the record, Adam Christiansen's re-election campaign finances are in really good shape and the opposition does not appear to have much of a head of steam.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Lucky is relative. I mean, sure, I'm glad to get my CalCCW, ....
Did you need more than "self-defense" for "good cause"?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. ...

When I asked in that thread if SD = GC in Stan' SO and Turlock PD, I got these replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer24 View Post
Yes they do. My buddy got one. In Stanislaus co. He said it took quite awhile, some thing like 6+ months but other than that it was pretty simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber51 View Post
Yep.
and from this thread after my post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
I'm from Oakdale and that was the case when I first got my permit from the SO and to my knowledge that has not changed.
Last, the sheriff's own policy dated 2013-02-27, under 218.2(f)(1) states that "Self Protection" may establish good cause. (See "CCW Policy" .pdf linked at: http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/conc...ns-permit.html)

So, it looks like the sheriff says SD = GC and is actually issuing CCWs with SD = GC. Thus, I'm going to edit the OP to reflect that.
Old 05-29-2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Did you need more than "self-defense" for "good cause"?
Self-Defense=Good Cause for Stanislaus Co. SD. since 2010 when Adam Christianson signed the Madison Society pledge and he was re-elected Sheriff.

Last edited by Jason95357; 06-10-2014 at 7:25 AM.. Reason: Added "re-"
Old 05-29-2014, 6:53 PM

As long as Adam wins next week

Napoleon
Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM

He will, but his opponent is also pro-CCW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchy View Post
He will, but his opponent is also pro-CCW.

Ya, and Obama said we would all get free health care..

Napoleon
Old 05-31-2014, 2:08 PM

Welchy - My only point is - Words and promises are just that - Adam has done what he said and has kept it up - Yes, its slow but the entire SO is understaffed and over worked and a LOT of people are applying for their CCW

Napoleon
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM

No worries. Christiansen in a landslide. They just added more appointments as well.

Old 06-01-2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley66 View Post
Ya, and Obama said we would all get free health care..
Letras is very Pro Carry, has been for quite some time. He has persuaded not only his girlfriend but several family members to go through the CCW process. So bad example in my opinion.

Last edited by Kelster1574; 06-01-2014 at 5:24 PM..
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM

Stanislaus County CCW Appointments are available as early as Sept 24, 2014. Yes, that's right, only 4 months away for an appointment to be able to apply. It looks like they added appointments from 2:30pm - 4pm, hence all these openings (4 more slots per day, so 15 total, vs. 11 before). I see this is also opening other appointments on random days here and there (especially starting around Jan, 2015), which my guess is due to folks securing sooner appointments and then cancelling their original appointments which were further out. It'll be interesting to see how things fill out with these new time slots. Prior to this we were seeing the soonest available appointment as June 23, 2015 (12+ months).

Here are some very rough numbers, btw. It appears they only book new appointments M-W. Some of those days are holidays, so instead of saying 55 weeks' worth of appointments (Jun 1, 2014 - June 23, 2015), let's just use an even year's worth of appointments (52 weeks), plus I'm ignoring June - Sept's 4 extra appointment slots that are already filled. 52 weeks x 3 days per week x 11 appointments per day = 1,716 additional people in Stanislaus County who want CCW permits and are waiting to apply. With 15 appointments per day, they gets us down ~38 weeks worth of appointments in the queue (if everyone schedules the soonest available): 1,716 / 15 appointments per day / 3 days per week = 38 weeks. I think the number will hold steady for a long time (if not continue to increase) as more and more people learn they can carry from the folks who are issued permits.

I believe the pressure from the Madison Society and direct inquiries as to why things were taking a year+ has helped get us 4 more appointment slots per day... nothing like an election to motivate. Be sure to vote Tuesday, June 3rd!
--
EDIT: Next available appear to be late Jan/early Feb, 2015. All the new timeslots up to this time appear to be backfilled. Note that there are still a ton of people who kept there original time slots and those still extend pretty solid into May and some June.

Last edited by Jason95357; 07-06-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelster1574 View Post
Letras is very Pro Carry, has been for quite some time. He has persuaded not only his girlfriend but several family members to go through the CCW process. So bad example in my opinion.
My Only point was - politicians often make promises before they are elected (as with Letras) Then when they get in office they often change their minds - of course its never there fault - History is full of them - Now a elected official that has been in office for years and has been signing CCW's - Now that's track record. I know the election is over - I mean no harm to Letras - just that history over rides promise's in my book - Just as my example = make a promise - get elected then fail to preform..

You never really know how someone will act until in office for some time and allow the records to do the talking.. You can bet that if Christianson had pulled back on the CCW's - the people here would have voted very different - as the results showed - it was not even a close race.

Napoleon
Old 07-12-2014, 3:04 PM

It is time for me to get my training for my re-newel CCW - The regular people I use did not have a class that worked with my schedule - I belong to "Safety first shooting" and was going to be at the range on 7/12 - found out they have a member that does the training 'Defend To Survive' I did not know these instructors or their class - new to me?? Decided to give them a try since the timing was perfect..

Very good class - Great instructors - recommended to anyone who need the NEW or re-newel training... Class is held at the

http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/

great location for those maybe south of Modesto - if you have not ever been to this range.. The best in the area... All on private property and very nice shade trees. Also is open to the public every third Saturday for IDPA and I just learned today open every fourth Saturday Rifle range open to the public.. small fees for the range or IDPA - IDPA Very user friendly and loves NEW shooters...

300 yard rifle range open every so often, contact the club for details

Defend To Survive
Hughson, CA
(209) 542-8542
www.defendtosurvive.com

Napoleon

Last edited by harley66; 07-12-2014 at 3:07 PM..
Old 07-16-2014, 8:13 PM

Default Two Stan. Co. CCW training courses drop off the list in two weeks

Reminder, two Stanislaus County CCW acceptable training courses will drop off August 1, 2014 per the 35 mi. policy.

These are:
LFI, Stockton, CA (47mi)
WTS, who train near Jamestown off La Grange Rd, CA (43mi) and sometimes at Motherload Gun Club (53mi).

I'm really rather sad to see WTS fall off the list. They're rather convenient for residents of Oakdale and Knights Ferry. Great folks with a great attitude and still worth attending, even if it doesn't get you what you need to Stanislaus CCW training.
Old 09-30-2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Reminder, two Stanislaus County CCW acceptable training courses will drop off August 1, 2014 per the 35 mi. policy.

I'm really rather sad to see WTS fall off the list. They're rather convenient for residents of Oakdale and Knights Ferry. Great folks with a great attitude and still worth attending, even if it doesn't get you what you need to Stanislaus CCW training.
I took my ccw class with The Madison Society at the Oakdale Sportsmen's club. Great class, I really enjoyed it. I live in Newman and it was actually a bit more of a drive for me then some of the other options but I liked the idea of my money going back to the cause. Also they give you a discount if you join up!
Old 09-30-2014, 7:12 PM

Some other notes from my experience for Stanislaus.
1. Apply NOW, don't get put off by the wait.
2. The Sheriff accepts Good Cause (thank you Madison Society) so don't complicate matters. I did not know then when I applied so I had put down Good Cause and some other issue. They were very genuine issues but the officer doing the back ground check called me and sort of grilled me about them. I answered 100% honestly but still, I now wish that I had just kept it simple.
3. As someone said, they are not accepting changes to your listed guns. This goes into effect as soon as you submit paperwork. The guns you apply with will be the guns on your permit, no changes/no adds. I made the mistake of thinking I could change one before I submitted my course cert. Nope. So make sure you have in your possession the guns you want on your ccw when you apply.
4. According to my class instructor, the Sheriff has stated that you can take the class and qualify with any pistol you own. Not just the ones on your app. So a lot of people were using full frame pistols.
5. Read everything in this thread AND on Calguns Foundation first. The paperwork that I had said to sign it before I got there but the lady at the window told me that was wrong and almost refused to accept it. I was not having any of that so I got right up in her face and begged like a starving child. I'm not proud about my behavior but she took my form.
6. The office/lobby of the sheriff has odd hours. 8am to 3pm and closed on Fridays I think. BUT that does not mean that there is not someone there. After I got their late once I said something to the admin the next time i was there. She told me "Oh you should have just picked up the phone outside". I pointed out that the phone says "Police matters" and I had not thought that my application rose to that level of priority. She assured me that even though the lobby is closed they were still there normal business hours.

1/14/13 - Applied online, at that time my appointment was for 2/12, I was psyched. That was until I re-read my confirmation email. 2/12/14, 13 month wait. Ugh. But I did it and put it out of my mind.
7/27/13 - I got a call and was told there was a cancellation and could do early November instead? Really? How is that even a question!
11/6/13 Appointment time, filed my paperwork, had a very short interview and got my digits scanned. Now put a lid on applicant and simmer for 6 months!
4/28/13 Got a call from a deputy asking me to go into detail about my other Good Cause reasons. I answered as best as I could, all the while kicking myself for not just leaving it at "Self Defense".
5/1/13 Call from admin at the Sheriff's office. She explains that I have been tentatively approved and that if I have not already I should sign up for my CCW class. I may or may not have squealed like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.
8/2/14 Took the range portion of my ccw class. 100+ degrees, outside, standing in a dirt and sand pit. Great time, loved it. But then I screwed up. Based on my experience at the range I decided that my "mid sized" ccw gun was too big so I wanted to step down one. However the next size down is not on the CA approved list (F*&$%# idiots). But our instructor had said "Oh Alquist Arms in Turlock will do SSE's with no additional charges. So now I have a plan. I'm going to hold off submitting my class cert and get this pistol and then hopefully modify my app. So I order my pistol. I have to wait two weeks for the order. Then I have to wait 10 days. The same day I'm picking up my pistol I get a call from the admin at the Sheriff's office asking if I'm going to turn in my certification. Nice of them to follow up I thought. So since I have her on the phone I ask her "Hey, I think I may have put down the wrong pistol on my cert, can I change it?" "Nope, bye" click. Well farfegnugen.
9/18/14 Went to turn in my paperwork but I got there at 3:15 and the office closed at 3pm AND it was closed on Friday all day. Well Frack!
9/23/14 I was there when they opened at 8am and turned in my paperwork. Now I'm back on simmer.
Old 10-15-2014, 4:18 AM

They called last week, on Friday, to tell me my ccw was ready to pickup and that I owed a balance of $80. I pointed out how cruel it was to tell me that it was ready on a day their office was closed to the public. I was being light hearted about it but she caught herself and said that if I needed it today that they could make it happen. WOW, do these people know they work for a government agency? The DMV should take notes. No I told her, I did not wish to put her out and I could wait till next week.

So 10/14/14 I picked up my ccw. Took me 10 min. Signed my "rice paper" form in triplicate and got my plastic ID card. She told me that I had to carry them both and that I could fold the paper in half and then laminate it like that.

So that is 1 year, 9 months. Granted that had I been able to take my class as soon as I got notified in may and that had I not wasted a month trying to add a pistol that I could not add (argh) I could have shave about 3 months off that time. So that still leaves it at 1.5 years.

Thank you so much to Sheriff Christianson. He sets an example that I wish more California sheriff's would follow. And there is little to nothing that he could reasonably do to change this egregious wait time. The cafeteria style decision in regards to rights that liberals in this state chose to protect vs ignore leaves me baffled and honestly in fear for the future of our state and for my children.

I often joke to friends that I want to move to Mexico where at least they are honest about their corruption. Sadly it feels less and less like a jest every day.
Old 01-04-2015, 3:24 PM

I am pretty excited for my ccw appointment next month on the 6th.

WTS Toth Tools, AK misc, and Streamlight TLR3
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post19963273
Old 01-04-2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberClurichaun View Post
I am pretty excited for my ccw appointment next month on the 6th.
Cool. Got your training scheduled? Since StanCo is vSI (virtual Shall Issue), so long as you have a clean background, you might as well get the training done so you don't have to wait on it once you are approved. I recommend joining and taking the training through the Madison Society who train out of the Oakdale Sportsmen Club.
Old 01-07-2015, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Cool. Got your training scheduled? Since StanCo is vSI (virtual Shall Issue), so long as you have a clean background, you might as well get the training done so you don't have to wait on it once you are approved. I recommend joining and taking the training through the Madison Society who train out of the Oakdale Sportsmen Club.
Hey thanks for the heads up. I have a stop sign citation that's about it.. I was looking at Trident but will probably be shopping around. How long after the interview did you have to wait? Also what does the Madison Society run for the classes?

WTS Toth Tools, AK misc, and Streamlight TLR3
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post19963273
Old 01-25-2015, 6:35 PM

Anyone know the current wait time between appointments & approvals (with CCW class done before appointment)?
Old 01-25-2015, 6:42 PM

3-4 months.
Old 01-30-2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogginsb View Post
3-4 months.
Thanks, my Pops has his appt soon, so that's good news.
Old 01-31-2015, 2:09 PM

Location: Just a peckerwood living in the mountains with too many guns

Hey guys, I have my appointment next month(stan county), and have a question for anyone who might know. The application asks 'Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offense (civilian or military) in the U.S. or any other country? If yes, explain'. I had a misdemeanor DUI with accident 13 years ago. No one else was involved, and no one was hurt. Is this considered a CRIMINAL offense? I'm thinking I should put it down in this section...just in case. I don't want it to look like I'm trying to hide/or be dishonest about it. I've always thought it was considered a traffic infraction. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikid View Post
Hey guys, I have my appointment next month(stan county), and have a question for anyone who might know. The application asks 'Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offense (civilian or military) in the U.S. or any other country? If yes, explain'. I had a misdemeanor DUI with accident 13 years ago. No one else was involved, and no one was hurt. Is this considered a CRIMINAL offense? I'm thinking I should put it down in this section...just in case. I don't want it to look like I'm trying to hide/or be dishonest about it. I've always thought it was considered a traffic infraction. Thanks in advance.
I can almost 100% promise you, IF you do not disclose this and you get caught - good chance you will be turned down. I heard the sheriff on talk radio take a question just like this, his response was "If You disclose it AND you have an otherwise cleĆ*n record, you WILL get a CCW"

Be honest

Napoleon
Old 01-31-2015, 2:54 PM

In looking back , defenition of Criminal offense? When in doubt , put it down, they will find it in your back ground

Napoleon
Old 01-31-2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikid View Post
Take a look at this

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/crime...cks-14195.html

Napoleon
Old 01-31-2015, 5:06 PM

Location: Just a peckerwood living in the mountains with too many guns

Thanks harley66! I knew they would find it in a background check just wasn't sure if that was considered criminal...I will just disclose it in that section, and hope for the best. Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2015, 8:08 PM

So I have my interview in a few months. I have a previous FTA for a cracked windshield ticket that I forgot to pay. I wasn't too worried before until I started reading these forums. Now I'm worried that I'm not "squeaky clean" ��
Think it's going to be an issue?
Old 03-12-2015, 8:29 PM

Did you disclose that in your paperwork? I am assuming you have since cleared that issue up with the courts??

Squeaking clean is NOT a MUST - Honesty goes a long way with the Sheriff, I heard him tell a person on a radio talk show when ask ( I had a DUI ten years ago and have been a good boy ever since - will that be a problem?) Sheriff answered IF you Disclosed that and you truly have been a good boy, then Yes, you will get a CCW

Napoleon