Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 11-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Default For all you lock picking wanna-bees or, "lock picking lawyer" fans...

They are having a sale on their "covert instruments" website for black Friday...

https://covertinstruments.com/collections/black-friday

Old 11-24-2021, 10:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm fairly sure you need to have locksmithing paperwork from the State of California before you can legally have tools of the trade on your person.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful_Cub View Post
I'm fairly sure you need to have locksmithing paperwork from the State of California before you can legally have tools of the trade on your person.

Legal to own in CA. They are not legal to use if compensated for monetary gain at which point you need a locksmithing license. They obviously are not legal if used in the commission of a crime.

Active Junky - Use my link to join, we both get $10.
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/203490
Old 11-25-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
They are having a sale on their "covert instruments" website for black Friday...

https://covertinstruments.com/collections/black-friday

Wow, just checked the link and I recognize a lot of their stock from Alibaba/AliExpress. Cut out the middleman, buy direct from China if you really want it and youíll save up to 60%.

Active Junky - Use my link to join, we both get $10.
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/203490
Old 11-25-2021, 4:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamono View Post
Wow, just checked the link and I recognize a lot of their stock from Alibaba/AliExpress. Cut out the middleman, buy direct from China if you really want it and youíll save up to 60%.
Iíd rather buy from LPL and know my funds support the creator/designer than buy some knock off.
Old 11-25-2021, 1:05 PM

I bought the Covert Companion. Seemed like the best all-around tool that I really didn't need.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamono View Post
Their ďMission StatementĒ says their stuff is made in USA. Are you saying their stuff is China?

https://covertinstruments.com/pages/mission-statement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B96E318-4583-4130-A53F-65033686D709.jpg (20.7 KB, 467 views)
Old 11-26-2021, 5:24 PM

Not really a fan of that guy. Instead of telling people what locks are actually good and hard to pick, it's more of a "look how clever I am" channel.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile.
Old 11-26-2021, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

great tool to have in your BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 11-26-2021, 7:40 PM

You do not need to be a licensed locksmith to buy own or operate these tools for your own use.

I personally prefer separate lock picks vs the Swiss Army knife type, but Covert Instruments stuff is fairly highly regarded in the lock sport community. Probably higher quality than Sparrows but below Peterson.

These are killer prices on Lishi tools. Lishi IS a Chinese company and their products ARE made in China but are very high quality and used by lots of professional locksmiths. There are tons of counterfeit Lishi tools out there so I would NOT buy on wish or Alibaba and expect to get authentic ones! Real Lishi tools each have a unique anti-counterfeit code in the back that you can check with the manufacturer. Iíd probably buy a few but Iím not that into automotive picking.

Yea, LPL is cocky. I think heís earned it. He does talk about what locks are hard to pick, itís just that there arenít that many, and there are are soooo many bad ones out there. But just because he makes it look easy doesnít mean it is.
Old 11-28-2021, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful_Cub View Post
I'm fairly sure you don't knownwhat you're talking about.

Nice tool set.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 11-28-2021, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guninator View Post
Not really a fan of that guy. Instead of telling people what locks are actually good and hard to pick, it's more of a "look how clever I am" channel.
He usually does at the end.
Old 11-28-2021, 9:04 PM

That's more for the want to be's. This site is for the pro's. No special license needed.
https://www.uhs-hardware.com/pages/c...e=BFCM%20Sends
Old 11-28-2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
great tool to have in your BOB
Any recommendation on which to kit for bug out bag? Thanks
Old 11-29-2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapua View Post
Any recommendation on which to kit for bug out bag? Thanks
I bought the Covert Companion. Seemed like the best all-around tool that I really didn't need. Got delivered today. Just need to put it together.

I actually had a new neighbor come over to me to ask me to break a lock on a shipping container. This would be much simpler.

Old 12-01-2021, 5:02 PM

LIVE ONLINE TRAINING LOCKSMITH COURSE - Original Lishi - Automotive Edge Cut Lishi Training (3 CEU) (Sunday, Dec 12th , 1PM EST)
https://www.uhs-hardware.com/collect...c-12th-1pm-est
Old 12-01-2021, 7:15 PM
CGSSA Associate

Location: We will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them w/o doing anything

If you're handy with a grinding wheel the next time you change your wiper blades remove the metal inserts from each blade. Yields four pieces subtable for creating picking tools.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used to keep a copy of my locksmith training cert and TOOOL membership paperwork with my kit to bolster my legitimate claim that I possess and use these tools as a hobbyist.

The pre-modern cars were a lot more fun (and easier) to get into and fire up. I started in HS in the early 1980s when at work I was taught how to break into and hot wire our company vehicles. I started carrying a self made break in tool and paperclips for hot-wiring - pulled some fun pranks at school breaking into, hot-wiring and moving peoples cars in our school parking lot!

In the 1990s I took some locksmith classes and became close friends with a husband and wife locksmith team. I picked up a bunch of tools including several sets of jigglers and could get into and fire up some makes almost as easy with the actual keys. Over the next couple of decades I spent countless hours hanging out in their shop picking locks, cutting keys, and other fun stuff like trying to crack his demo S&G safe lock.

I put together a pretty decent kit during those years, but unfortunately I changed jobs and have spent far less time hanging out with them over the past decade or so. I miss their friendship and regularly playing at lockpicking with them. I still manage to stop by their shop a few times a year, but I used to hang out at their shop for hours at a time each month and go to lunch or dinner, or conferences with them quite frequently.

YouTube channels like the LPL got me interested again and I jumped back into the hobby and spent a bunch more money on new toys but have not been practicing.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)