Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2021, 5:11 AM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default Shotgun training in the Bay Area...looking for recommendations

Recently picked up a new shotgun (Beretta 1301) and looking to take some classes. Unfortunately due to a very busy work and graduate school schedule I won't be able to get out to Front Sight until the middle of next year, so I'm looking for single-day classes (or even 2-day classes) that are offered locally. I'm in Oakland, and willing to travel an upwards of an hour and a half for class.

Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2021, 7:37 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 470
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It's not a group class, but I offer private coaching and can get you started with basic shotgun shooting and manipulation techniques. PM me if you're interested for more details.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2021, 9:06 PM
grzm grzm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: East Bay
Posts: 4
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I recommend monarch defense https://monarchdefense.org/. I took the shotgun class there. Very rounded training, progressive from theory to dry practice to increasingly complex shooting drills. It is a whole day class, I totally enjoyed it and learned a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2021, 4:51 PM
Thoughts Thoughts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 480
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I would checking up on Monarch Defense. He allegedly has a somewhat careless attitude about safety on the range. I haven't taken a firearms class with him, though. There might be some threads on the topic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2021, 10:47 PM
grzm grzm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: East Bay
Posts: 4
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Well, the class I took felt safe for me, as far as a live fire class can be safe. Safety was discussed explicitly and at length, and safety protocols were followed during the drills. With that said, a moving and shooting class has higher inherent risk, and not always everyone participating is up to par. If you have any concerns on safety I'd think best would be to reach out to the instructor directly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2021, 8:04 AM
Divehobo's Avatar
Divehobo Divehobo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,239
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
Monarch Defense... I haven't taken a firearms class with him..
Lame, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Son, belly up or shut up
__________________
NRA Endowment Life Member

PM me for your Front Sight needs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2021, 9:42 PM
Thoughts Thoughts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 480
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Son, belly up or shut up
No.

The information I got came from a credible source, and lines up with other comments I have heard.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2021, 6:55 AM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
No.

The information I got came from a credible source, and lines up with other comments I have heard.
If you're going to make a bold statement like that (and I'm not saying you're lying, etc.) you should back it up with some proof that supports the claim, not just say it and then tell everyone to trust you. Otherwise it's like you saying, "Well I heard from a guy who's cousin knows this guy who's friend said..."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2021, 11:22 AM
HKAllTheThings HKAllTheThings is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Newport
Posts: 768
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Some interesting reviews. Stay safe out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CAguns/comm...narch_defense/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2021, 5:21 PM
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
I wish I was a Boomer...
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 232
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Lame, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Son, belly up or shut up
Monarch Defense classes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhnFbiIHvO8/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQl1FBCDA6i/
__________________
Boomers For Gun Control
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2021, 5:33 PM
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
I wish I was a Boomer...
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 232
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
If you're going to make a bold statement like that (and I'm not saying you're lying, etc.) you should back it up with some proof that supports the claim, not just say it and then tell everyone to trust you. Otherwise it's like you saying, "Well I heard from a guy who's cousin knows this guy who's friend said..."
Some guy with no gunfighting experience who teaches the "tactical turtle"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BusFB0Onvb6/

Some guy with 16 years as Green Beret including tours in Afghanistan and NCOIC for sniper and combat marksmanship programs for Army SF

__________________
Boomers For Gun Control
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2021, 5:36 PM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Some guy with no gunfighting experience who teaches the "tactical turtle"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BusFB0Onvb6/

Some guy with 16 years as Green Beret including tours in Afghanistan and NCOIC for sniper and combat marksmanship programs for Army SF

I don't know what a tactical turtle is, and I don't have Instagram.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2021, 5:41 PM
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
I wish I was a Boomer...
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 232
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I don't know what a tactical turtle is, and I don't have Instagram.
do you have calguns to be able to view posts on calguns? you don't need instagram to view posts on instagram.
__________________
Boomers For Gun Control
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2021, 5:43 PM
Olav's Avatar
Olav Olav is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Carmel, CA
Posts: 933
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

This coming Saturday at Metcalf AlphaDog Tactical is hosting a one day Tactical Shotgun class

http://alphadogtactical.com/basicTacticalShotgun.html

Sign up or contact.

Jeff Patane is very good.
__________________

Get the Plinkr iOS App
Find any Gun Store/FFL
Find any Range in the USA.
Find firearms training too!
Read Curated Industry News
Search Gunbroker
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-13-2021, 6:15 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,251
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Lame, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Son, belly up or shut up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
No.

The information I got came from a credible source, and lines up with other comments I have heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
If you're going to make a bold statement like that (and I'm not saying you're lying, etc.) you should back it up with some proof that supports the claim, not just say it and then tell everyone to trust you. Otherwise it's like you saying, "Well I heard from a guy who's cousin knows this guy who's friend said..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
Some interesting reviews. Stay safe out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CAguns/comm...narch_defense/

Wow!?! Even in Reddit? Well, Monarch Defense has quite a few fans in Facebook, too...

Anyways

I am a member of this group - Asian American Gun Owners of California https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521916527982089 (being Facebook - less anonymous than CalGuns or any other forums)

which counts several instructors (both Asians and not), including the chief instructor of Monarch Defense, as members...

... there are several threads of discourse (a politically correct way of saying "debate" or "arguments") between Monarch and the other instructors on several topics, mostly on safety. It does get heated and dicey...

Who is right? Who is wrong? And to what degree? I personally don't care as I already have my list of established "go to" schools...



That said - to the @OP - best to take a class and report back on your experience?



_
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-13-2021, 7:36 PM
HKAllTheThings HKAllTheThings is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Newport
Posts: 768
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
That is one giant CF. How?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-13-2021, 7:53 PM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
do you have calguns to be able to view posts on calguns? you don't need instagram to view posts on instagram.
When I click the link it wont let me view it and asks me to log in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-13-2021, 7:58 PM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Very strange. When I clicked on the original links it asked me to log in. When I clicked in the same links in a quoted post I could view them.

F-that place. No thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-13-2021, 8:31 PM
Tractionavant's Avatar
Tractionavant Tractionavant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 196
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Call Russ Miller @ Mobile Marksman...stand up safe guy! Me and my two youngest did basic pistol with him ten years ago..came to the house & then took us to the range. I’m getting ready to do shotgun with him. Highly recommend Russ!
__________________
NRA Lifetime member
CRPA Contributor
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-13-2021, 8:35 PM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionavant View Post
Call Russ Miller @ Mobile Marksman...stand up safe guy! Me and my two youngest did basic pistol with him ten years ago..came to the house & then took us to the range. Iím getting ready to do shotgun with him. Highly recommend Russ!
Russ is just an awesome guy! I booked a few hours with him in the past and he's fantastic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-13-2021, 10:36 PM
Thoughts Thoughts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 480
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
If you're going to make a bold statement like that (and I'm not saying you're lying, etc.) you should back it up with some proof that supports the claim, not just say it and then tell everyone to trust you. Otherwise it's like you saying, "Well I heard from a guy who's cousin knows this guy who's friend said..."
That's your opinion. All I am doing is suggesting that he do some research. I've done enough for me to make my choices.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-14-2021, 4:34 PM
Thoughts Thoughts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 480
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionavant View Post
Call Russ Miller @ Mobile Marksman...stand up safe guy!
I have taken classes with him. I enjoyed them and actually improved my shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-14-2021, 9:55 PM
Daze Daze is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 624
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

While I have not taken his Shotgun class specifically, I have trained with both rifle and pistol with Jeff and found both classes to be excellent. Jeff is a great instructor willing to spend the time with each student. I would recommend his class to anyone looking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav View Post
This coming Saturday at Metcalf AlphaDog Tactical is hosting a one day Tactical Shotgun class

http://alphadogtactical.com/basicTacticalShotgun.html

Sign up or contact.

Jeff Patane is very good.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-20-2021, 6:06 PM
Dr. Peter Venkman's Avatar
Dr. Peter Venkman Dr. Peter Venkman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 4,616
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Why anyone would give money to someone like Monarch Defense is beyond me. Clear history of negligence with weapon handling in classes, not to mention the medical episode where he ignored students with heatstroke. He has no applicable experience with what he is teaching, and even if he did, what he is teaching is simply not best practice.

This is straight up fantasy band camp:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDYR601p0CA/

More nonsense:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmhB2DAnv62/

Take classes from people who have a high level of proficiency with what they use. If you want "tactics", then from somewhere with a level of what you're looking for after you've developed proficiency.

Vinnie, I'll ask a contact I have at RR&G if there are any shotgun classes he'd recommend. I moved out of state otherwise I'd show you some pointers if I had a bay rented for the day and class was over.
__________________

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 11-20-2021 at 6:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-21-2021, 8:07 AM
HKAllTheThings HKAllTheThings is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Newport
Posts: 768
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Why anyone would give money to someone like Monarch Defense is beyond me. Clear history of negligence with weapon handling in classes, not to mention the medical episode where he ignored students with heatstroke. He has no applicable experience with what he is teaching, and even if he did, what he is teaching is simply not best practice.

This is straight up fantasy band camp:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDYR601p0CA/

More nonsense:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmhB2DAnv62/

Take classes from people who have a high level of proficiency with what they use. If you want "tactics", then from somewhere with a level of what you're looking for after you've developed proficiency.

Vinnie, I'll ask a contact I have at RR&G if there are any shotgun classes he'd recommend. I moved out of state otherwise I'd show you some pointers if I had a bay rented for the day and class was over.
This has a Gabe Suarez / Combat Focus Shooting vibe to it.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-23-2021, 11:02 PM
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
I wish I was a Boomer...
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 232
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
This has a Gabe Suarez / Combat Focus Shooting vibe to it.
Wow, you're good. Monarch Defense lists Suarez International as one of his instructor certifications.
__________________
Boomers For Gun Control
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-24-2021, 6:33 AM
DoronSegev DoronSegev is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Highly recommend United Shooting Solutions. Dan Schillaci is an amazing instructor and great guy. He's legit (retired LEO) and safety is paramount. He has his own private range. My friend and I took his handgun class over the summer and it was fantastic.

https://www.unitedshootingsolutions.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-24-2021, 6:45 AM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,618
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

I appreciate all the info. everyone has provided and have written to a couple instructors. Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-25-2021, 1:20 AM
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
I wish I was a Boomer...
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 232
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoronSegev View Post
Highly recommend United Shooting Solutions. Dan Schillaci is an amazing instructor and great guy. He's legit (retired LEO) and safety is paramount. He has his own private range. My friend and I took his handgun class over the summer and it was fantastic.

https://www.unitedshootingsolutions.com
Any instructor using the pistol pie correction chart loses credibility.


https://www.instagram.com/unitedshootingsolutions/
__________________
Boomers For Gun Control
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:53 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical