Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:54 AM

Default Leupold firedot blinks after each shot

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x20 scope with a "firedot" illuminated red dot at the center of the crosshairs. It's a pretty nice scope and I paid about $400 for it less than a year ago. But I've noticed that the firedot blinks off for a moment after each shot. Then it comes back on. It doesn't really slow me down but it's a bit distracting. Is this a known issue? Is the scope defective? Is is a battery problem? I actually want to sell this scope but I don't want to sell a defective item. Anyone heard of this problem before? Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-14-2021, 11:33 AM

If it's flickering under recoil, you need to call Leupold as there's likely a short somewhere.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lifetime warranty...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-14-2021, 1:28 PM

Where did you purchase it?? Could possibly be a counterfeit, they can be difficult to tell these days. Call Leupold and they should be able to verify the serial number for you. If it is a counterfeit, in all likelihood they'll send you a new one at no cost
Old 11-14-2021, 2:47 PM

I'll call Leupold tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-2021, 7:30 PM

Check to make sure the battery cover/switch assembly is screwed firmly inplace (although not gorilla tight). If not tight initially, recoil may have loosen it slightly causing the circuit to open under fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Today's so called republican conservatives are far more liberal than a 1960's democrat. No way would a 1960's democrat put up with this nonsense.
Old 11-15-2021, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Check battery housing first. If not and it is not counterfeit Leopold will fix it. We have one with 8k rounds and still going strong. Prob the best lightweight lvpo (though the reticule could be better)
Old 11-15-2021, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
Where did you purchase it?? Could possibly be a counterfeit, they can be difficult to tell these days. Call Leupold and they should be able to verify the serial number for you.

If it is a counterfeit, in all likelihood they'll send you a new one at no cost
Why would they send him a new scope free, if the counterfeit one he bought failed?

Why would they stand behind a counterfeit product?

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 11-15-2021, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post

Why would they stand behind a counterfeit product?
They don't, according to their website...And neither does anyone else. Clearly that individual's talking nonsense.

Regardless, either a loose battery or cap, or some loose connection. Leopold CS is great, had a couple issues over the decades that they handled quickly.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20mm FireDot-G SPR that shuts off under recoil intermittently - going to call Leupold up and see what they say about the issue.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-16-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
I have a Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20mm FireDot-G SPR that shuts off under recoil intermittently - going to call Leupold up and see what they say about the issue.
It's not uncommon. We had some Mark ARs with the same issue and had to RMA them as well.

Our ELCANs had the same issue so maybe these guys share engineers.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
It's not uncommon. We had some Mark ARs with the same issue and had to RMA them as well.

Our ELCANs had the same issue so maybe these guys share engineers.
Did Leupold find/fix the issue or ?
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-16-2021, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ended up talking to someone @ Leupold. They are sending me a replacement battery cover/switch assembly to see if that fixes the issue. If not, I'll have to pay to send optic back for them to test/troubleshoot.

This model has been discontinued for a few years but they have a newer similar model available. I did ask if the newer model was redesigned with a different battery cover/switch and was told it had been, but that it wasn't compatible with the previous model. This inclines me to believe that there was/is a design flaw in the previous model. Hopefully. if I continue to have the issue and have to send it in, they will do the right thing & replace my unit with the newer redesigned version.
Quote:

Last edited by WartHog; 11-16-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Old 11-16-2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Ended up talking to someone @ Leupold. They are sending me a replacement battery cover/switch assembly to see if that fixes the issue. If not, I'll have to pay to send optic back for them to test/troubleshoot.

This model has been discontinued for a few years but they have a newer similar model available. I did ask if the newer model was redesigned with a different battery cover/switch and was told it had been, but that it wasn't compatible with the previous model. This inclines me to believe that there was/is a design flaw in the previous model. Hopefully. if I continue to have the issue and have to send it in, they will do the right thing & replace my unit with the newer redesigned version.
Good luck, man. Post your update here when you get it resolved.
Old 11-24-2021, 7:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Received the replacement battery cap/power/illumination level button and as I feared, it had no effect in remedying my problem. I will be returning the unit to Leupold, as soon as I can remove the stripped allen head screws in their own Mark AR 1-piece mount that I didn't overtighten. Am going to ask that they replace it, pointing out that the model was discontinued, redesigned and reintroduced with a different power/illumination switch, indicating the previous design was flawed.
Quote: