Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-19-2019, 6:55 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Default Garand experts - help with bolt issue after disassemble/reassemble

I've just field stripped my M1 Garand for a relatively deep cleaning for the first time in many years (including removing the gas cylinder). I am not a Garand expert, so I rely heavily on instructions found on the Internet or on YouTube.

When I get the gun back together, the bolt is locked closed and cannot be opened. If I field strip it back down and remove the op-rod spring, I can use a rubber mallet to strike the op-rod handle and open the bolt.

In this condition, with the op-rod attached, I can run the bolt back and forth most of the way. But if I run it all the way forward to fully close the bolt (it takes a some force to get it closed), I need to use the mallet again to get it open again. And if the gun is fully assembled, then the spring pressure is too great to be able to work the bolt

Not sure what I'm missing. I've carefully disassembled/reassembled it four times. If anyone has a thought, I would appreciate it.

Update - problem solved. Issue with how the op-rod was interfacing with the gas cylinder.

Last edited by Gryff; 05-21-2019 at 1:24 AM..
Old 05-19-2019, 7:15 PM

Start about a minute in:

I'm guessing that you didn't assemble the op-rod catch correctly.
Old 05-19-2019, 7:18 PM

Did you disassemble the bolt? Without taking apart my own to get a better look, the extractor and ejector would be my first guesses for where something's wrong.

EDIT: Catch assembly is probably more likely. I've never seen it do something like that, but I can see how it would be easy to get wrong.

Last edited by Unsilenced; 05-19-2019 at 7:23 PM..
Old 05-19-2019, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

At .05 seconds, why do you pull the op rod away from the receiver? It looks like it is pulled out of its track. Why is this?
If it is out of its track it could bind somewhere up the line maybe at the saddle contact area under the chamber, or rubbing at the front band or jamming in the gas cylinder.

Whats happening on the back of the bolt when it is almost in battery? Firing pin tang clearing the cam notch in the bridge?
Also check the op rod catch as others have mentioned, but it looks like you dont have those parts in the gun in your video.

Last edited by kendog4570; 05-19-2019 at 9:49 PM..
Old 05-20-2019, 2:02 AM

It does look as thought the op rod tab might not be in the track
Old 05-20-2019, 7:01 AM

i agree, if you have another op rod, try to swap it in, and see if it's out of spec. Also, try to put the bolt into the receiver without the op rod, making sure it can go into battery without any hinderance.
Old 05-20-2019, 9:51 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsilenced View Post
Did you disassemble the bolt? Without taking apart my own to get a better look, the extractor and ejector would be my first guesses for where something's wrong.

EDIT: Catch assembly is probably more likely. I've never seen it do something like that, but I can see how it would be easy to get wrong.
Did not disassemble the bolt. At the time of the video, none of the receiver parts are installed except bolt and op-rod, so I don't think it's the catch assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
At .05 seconds, why do you pull the op rod away from the receiver? It looks like it is pulled out of its track. Why is this?
If it is out of its track it could bind somewhere up the line maybe at the saddle contact area under the chamber, or rubbing at the front band or jamming in the gas cylinder.
When the bolt is all the way back, it will not go forward unless I pull the op-rod slightly away from the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
Whats happening on the back of the bolt when it is almost in battery? Firing pin tang clearing the cam notch in the bridge?
Also check the op rod catch as others have mentioned, but it looks like you dont have those parts in the gun in your video.
I'll have to check the back of the bolt at that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr350 View Post
i agree, if you have another op rod, try to swap it in, and see if it's out of spec. Also, try to put the bolt into the receiver without the op rod, making sure it can go into battery without any hinderance.
Bolt in the receiver without op-rod slides fully into and out of battery without a problem.
Old 05-21-2019, 1:22 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Update

It definitely seemed like the op-rod was impacting something and causing the problems with bolt movement. I had a suspicion that it might be its interaction with the gas cylinder, so I took off the cylinder lock and screw. I put in the op-rod with the cylinder unsecured.

Sure enough, the op-rod and bolt now functioned correctly. I tightened up the gas cylinder, lock, and screw, put everything back together, and the gun functions correctly now.

So, I cannot say what exactly was happening to cause the problem, it was definitely an interaction between the op-rod and the gas cylinder.

I appreciate the input from everyone.