Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-05-2021, 1:13 PM

Default Updating Registration Information

Can someone update the information on a previously registered handgun via the Volreg form?

I had someone wanting to buy ammunition but they do not have a firearm registered to them at their current address. Can they just submit the Volreg form with their current address? Is there an easier (or cheaper) way? Do they need a FSC for this?

I know the Volreg route will take a while but at this point time isn't really an issue.
Old 04-05-2021, 1:21 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
Can someone update the information on a previously registered handgun via the Volreg form?

I had someone wanting to buy ammunition but they do not have a firearm registered to them at their current address. Can they just submit the Volreg form with their current address? Is there an easier (or cheaper) way? Do they need a FSC for this?

I know the Volreg route will take a while but at this point time isn't really an issue.
Do it online.
Access CFARS, create an account, and submit an Automated Firearms System (AFS) Personal Information Update to change the address to what is current.
The cost to do this online is $0.00 (free).

Per CA DOJ BOF, submitting a Firearm Ownership Report in order to update the address, may not correct the address in AFS.

California Code of Regulations Title 11 Divison 5 Chapter 13 Article 1 Section 4353
Updating AFS Records.
(a) Before an individual can electronically correct or update one or more AFS records, the individual shall create a CFARS account as prescribed by California Code of Regulations, Title 11, section 4340.
(b) The individual shall provide the following current information: Full name, residence address, zip code, date of birth, and identification type and number.
(c) The individual shall provide his or her personal information, as it was, at the time when a firearm was purchased or transferred into his or her ownership, as reported to the Department: Full name, residence address, zip code, date of birth, and identification type and number.
(d) The individual shall provide information for one or more firearms that were purchased or transferred into his or her ownership and possession with the same owner information at the time of purchase or transfer. The individual shall provide the following information for each firearm: Make, model, caliber, serial number information, and/or type.
(e) The individual may add another firearm purchased or transferred at another time by providing additional firearm identifying information as prescribed by subdivision (d).
(f) Updates or corrections to name, date of birth, identification type and/or identification number require the individual to electronically upload documents verifying the change as prompted by CFARS. The individual will be prompted to upload a copy of his or her current California Driver License, California Identification Card, or military identification card (with military station orders) along with the following documentation to verify an AFS record update:
(1) A change of name requires a copy of his or her marriage license, endorsed court order regarding restoration of former name, or endorsed court order regarding name change.
(2) A change to the date of birth requires a copy of his or her birth certificate.
(3) An update to identification type, and/or identification number requires a copy of his or her California Driver License, California Identification Card, or out-of-state driver license.
(g) The individual shall then agree to the following personal declaration: I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct.
(h) Once the individual has provided the necessary information and/or supporting documentation for the AFS record update or correction, the individual will then submit the information.
(i) The Department shall either approve or reject the individual's request to update or correct one or more AFS records and notify the individual of the approval or rejection via electronic mail. If the request is rejected, the electronic mail notification shall provide information on how to proceed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-05-2021 at 1:31 PM..
Old 04-05-2021, 1:32 PM

Perfect, thanks!
Old 04-06-2021, 8:25 AM
Vendor/Retailer

With screenshots: https://www.ugimports.com/cfars
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 04-06-2021, 8:36 AM
FFL LE Dealer
CGN Contributor

Hopefully it works for you, I have had more than a few clients "update" their registration information and still come back with a denied on the ammo purchase.

They purchased a new gun and 100% of the time that works.
Old 04-06-2021, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Thanks! That's right handy.
Old 04-06-2021, 9:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPT View Post
Hopefully it works for you, I have had more than a few clients "update" their registration information and still come back with a denied on the ammo purchase.

They purchased a new gun and 100% of the time that works.
The issue with CFARS update is you get no notification when it's "done".

I've had it work for some folks that waited 7-10 days and for another person that waited 7-10 days it didn't work. Just another flawed DOJ system...
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 04-06-2021, 5:19 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If there is already a record for the gun, just with the wrong address - then submitting a volreg is the wrong thing to do.