Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 05-22-2020, 1:19 PM

Default Who butchers animals in So Calif

A buddy invited me for a wild pig hunt on some farm property in Central Calif, last year he got 9 pigs and said there are hundreds for the taking. Question, does anyone have a butcher who can package up pigs ?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2020, 1:25 PM

Try Bree's Meats in Garden Grove.
I haven't used him myself but the last time I was in there, he told me that they do.

http://www.breesmeats.com
Old 05-22-2020, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Buy a gambrel and do it yourself. It's not hard.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-22-2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
I haven't used him myself but the last time I was in there, he told me that they do.

This, one of my buddies brought a pig to him for butchering. He did a great job and I thought the price was resonable. If you go to his shop you should try the pastrami, its pretty damn good.
Old 05-22-2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCGunFan View Post
A buddy invited me for a wild pig hunt on some farm property in Central Calif, last year he got 9 pigs and said there are hundreds for the taking. Question, does anyone have a butcher who can package up pigs ?

Thanks
You will need a huge freezer for nine hogs.
Old 05-22-2020, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post

Great tip thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2020, 5:19 PM

There is a sticky in the hunting forum, although it only has a few southern California shops.
Old 05-22-2020, 6:41 PM

I wonder when the time arrives, whom are you going to ask to make your kids for ya, It is a more important task than to process an animal
Anyone who wants to kill needs to learn how to process, it is a part of hunting. We try to hunt, not to kill IMO

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 05-22-2020 at 6:44 PM..
Old 05-22-2020, 8:01 PM
CGSSA Associate

1 is not too bad at home debone in the field of you can, it will save you time in the long run.

Pictures and have fun!
Old 05-23-2020, 6:51 AM

Take me and I'll do it for you
Old 05-23-2020, 8:34 AM

Thanks for your help, I called Bree's but no answer, so I'll try again. My thought process is to gut, bleed and cool the pigs, pack in ice till I can get them to a butcher and trade him pigs for his service.

I should learn to butcher but it's so much easier to hand them to someone who will package everything and spend my time on more important things.
Old 05-23-2020, 8:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
I wonder when the time arrives, whom are you going to ask to make your kids for ya, It is a more important task than to process an animal
Anyone who wants to kill needs to learn how to process, it is a part of hunting. We try to hunt, not to kill IMO
Disagree. I dont need to build my car or gun to be a responsible owner, or deliver my kids be a good parent.

I would be very interested to learn how to process various animals, even cow, but some goofy “you shouldn't hunt if you dont process your meat” rule is a bad idea. We need more hunters, not fewer hunters.

Your position, logically extended, is that i am somehow wrong for eating that hamburger last night because i dont know how to butcher a cow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-23-2020, 9:14 AM

Brees has been doing pigs and deer for me for years. They do alot of Tejon hunted animals. They have a big freezer for hanging skinned and gutted game. Always seems to have deer elk bison pigs or some other game hanging up.
Old 05-23-2020, 9:17 AM
CGSSA Associate

You should learn it because one day you'll need it.

Really crappy example of why I don't need to learn it.......but that's a lawyer for ya......keep talking until the point is lost in his words and no one cares....

Gut, skin and ice then take to butcher just remember pork doesn't really last beyond three days in the cooler so the best tasting is cut/ wrap them quickly and freeze.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Disagree. I dont need to build my car or gun to be a responsible owner, or deliver my kids be a good parent.

I would be very interested to learn how to process various animals, even cow, but some goofy “you shouldn't hunt if you dont process your meat” rule is a bad idea. We need more hunters, not fewer hunters.

Your position, logically extended, is that i am somehow wrong for eating that hamburger last night because i dont know how to butcher a cow.
1. It is not what i say, you need to work for the Biden campaign, you are professional in twisting words.
2. It is your opinion, but you should know, opinions are like elbows, most people have two.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:33 AM

Hottingers meats in Chino does good work.

https://www.hottingerfamilymeats.com/

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-23-2020, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help, I called Bree's but no answer, so I'll try again.
Seems like a fine time to learn how to butcher your own game.

Quote:
My thought process is to gut, bleed and cool the pigs, pack in ice till I can get them to a butcher
Get the organs out and the skin off as soon as you can. If you have a long dirty drag back, leave the skin on. Otherwise get it off to let things cool as quickly as possible.

Quote:
and trade him pigs for his service.
LOL

The butcher will be a professional that charges money for their work. Trade them dollars.

Quote:
I should learn to butcher
You should!

Quote:
but it's so much easier to hand them to someone who will package everything
Until you can’t. Let’s say you can’t get ahold of a butcher, do you just not hunt? Or what if you’re out hunting and for whatever reason the butcher closes up early? Or what if you’re out hunting, it’s a long trip home (like even out of state), and you have to head back long before the butcher shop would be done with your animal?

Quote:
and spend my time on more important things.
Of course there are more important things than learning to butcher your own game, you need to stay healthy, pay the bills, etc; but learning to butcher your own game IS important.

There are a lot of good books and videos on game processing and pig butchering in particular. Learning to do it yourself makes you a more self sufficient and independent hunter no longer dependent on someone else processing your meat in a timely manner. It’s just another tool to have in the bag.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 05-23-2020 at 11:17 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 2:06 PM

no butcher will trade you meat for work...
Old 05-23-2020, 7:06 PM

I understand that butchers are skilled professionals, but I had one in Pasadena who traded meat for packaging deer and pig cuts. I thought if I traded them enough meat to make it worth their while, it would be fair.

The problem is I'm so.busy that I'd rather spend my time hunting than spending a day to package everything.
Old 05-23-2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
I understand that butchers are skilled professionals, but I had one in Pasadena who traded meat for packaging deer and pig cuts. I thought if I traded them enough meat to make it worth their while, it would be fair.

The problem is I'm so.busy that I'd rather spend my time hunting than spending a day to package everything.
In my opinion you don’t want to hunt, you just want shoot something.
Old 05-23-2020, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I’m not saying don’t take it to a butcher, and I hope one of the recommendations is available to you.

What I’m saying is you ought to learn to do it yourself for myriad reasons and since you can’t get ahold of the butcher you want to use now might be as good a time as any.

You do you man, it’s a time vs. money proposition. For me, I’d rather spend some time, save some money, learn a new skill, and make myself more independent and self sufficient. I know I can go hunting and whether I know where a butcher is, or if they’re open, or if I have enough cash for a tip without hitting up the ATM I can still bring that game home and have steaks for dinner (and the upcoming months).

I once met a guy coming out of the duck pond with a goose. He had all the Gucci gear, was driving an Audi, and lucked out that day in getting a goose. The guy had never cleaned a bird before. I congratulated him on the goose when he asked if knew a butcher that would process it for him. I told him it’s easy enough to do, I’ll help it do it right here and right now. The guy refused so I pointed him to the only game butcher I know in the area. They charge $150 bucks for processing whole animals (I have no idea if that’s still holds true for a single goose, but it sure isn’t free). I don’t know what happened to that guy, but the last I saw he was he was putting his shotgun in a case and throwing a recently dead, guts in, still in the feathers and wet with blood goose in the back of his Audi sedan before driving off through the mud to the butcher. No shame in his game, I’m sure he had a wonderfully prepped goose for dinner that night.
Old 05-23-2020, 9:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
You should learn it because one day you'll need it.

Really crappy example of why I don't need to learn it.......but that's a lawyer for ya......keep talking until the point is lost in his words and no one cares....

Gut, skin and ice then take to butcher just remember pork doesn't really last beyond three days in the cooler so the best tasting is cut/ wrap them quickly and freeze.

Good luck!
What a pathetic rant. Panties twisted?

Perfect example. Did you deliver your kids? Someday you might have to. Lame.
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-23-2020, 9:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
1. It is not what i say, you need to work for the Biden campaign, you are professional in twisting words.
2. It is your opinion, but you should know, opinions are like elbows, most people have two.
Yep, you pegged me, i must be a democrat. The death rattle of a dead argument. Why do people run to that lame “one size fits all” Response?

I didnt twist anything. I addressed exactly what you wrote.

I never twist words, i dont have to. I force feed people their own stupid statements.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-23-2020, 9:18 PM

Right now things are a bit weird I would not count on getting right off I inquired about having a couple lambs possessed and they were several months out ended it up doing it my self .
Pigs are a pain to skin in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Who cares if he takes his meat to a butcher ? Maybe he's in it for the kill, they are pest.

3006 has a point, and a reason the OP should consider learning the skill.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:32 PM

Location: Currently in Virginia. Moving to San Diego summer 2020.

Quote:

Thanks
If your buddy has several hundred for the taking, why aren't they inviting everybody from CG to go get a free pig?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2020, 5:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The do it yourself idea would not be a good idea for first time and multiple animals. You will hurt for days when you have finished and it might be off putting. A single animal would be doable.

I have done it, can do it and I still use a butcher. They have the tools, it will be clean and I really don't want to devote the time anymore.

Good luck on your hunt I hope you get into them good. A nice medium sized pig is some of the best eating pork IMO.
Old 05-24-2020, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
...Why do people run to that lame “one size fits all” Response?...
It's amazing how many folks here think their way is the best way and the only way to do something.
Maybe they never heard or accepted that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Sometimes, after reading the same type of "I'm the expert always" (regardless of subject matter) posts from the same person, I add them to my ignore list, just so I don't waste my time reading what they've posted.

That's just my way, I'm not saying it's the only or best way.
Old 05-24-2020, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Until you can’t. Let’s say you can’t get ahold of a butcher, do you just not hunt? Or what if you’re out hunting and for whatever reason the butcher closes up early? Or what if you’re out hunting, it’s a long trip home (like even out of state), and you have to head back long before the butcher shop would be done with your animal?
LOL - only in CG can a simple question for information turn into a raging flame war.

This is exactly how I came around to processing my own meat. When I first killed a pig, I was a novice. I did what everyone else did, I took it to a butcher in Los Altos and two weeks and $150 later I had my pig meat. The second time, I took it to Kelly's in Livermore, same deal. The third time I had a pig it was on public land, no one was answering their phone, and I had no clue what to do with my prize. In a panic, I called my friend Jack and he laughed at me..... he told me to bring it by. So I did, and he showed me how to break it down. Been doing it myself ever since.

I understand the cost/time/aggravation equation, and whatever one wants to do is more than OK by me.... everyone has different priories and time constraints. However, the reality in my area was that butcher shops that processed wild game were getting fewer and fewer in number, and sooner or later I was going to either sink or learn how to swim if I didn't want the meat to spoil while I dashed about looking for a butcher.

For a one-off though - I'd do your homework FIRST, find the butcher and make arrangements before you have a dead animal on your hands. That way, you know the location and delivery instructions before you are in a pickle. You might be surprised at the lack of butchers reasonably close to you that will be able to accommodate. I know I was.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-24-2020, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post
There is a sticky in the hunting forum, although it only has a few southern California shops.
Don't know about SoCal, but almost every one of those listed in NorCal were either out of business or no longer processing wild game when last I looked.

Old 05-24-2020, 9:05 AM

Ben's custom meats in Templeton is the best I've ever used. In a pinch I'll go to fryers in pearblossom but only for cuts and ground.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Bens custom meats is actually in Atascadero. The jalapeño cheddar link is amazing as is the bulk country breakfast sausage. The hams they smoke are great also. They have a hog of mine for processing right now. Between me and the few guys that hunt a ranch together we have probably taken 12 hogs to Bens and never been disappointed.
Old 05-24-2020, 3:53 PM

In the past, I've had very good luck with Floriano's in Lompoc (not sure where you're hunting in Central Cal) -
http://www.florianos.net
Call first to check for space - (805) 737-9396

Good Luck

NRA Life Member
Old 05-24-2020, 8:44 PM

Roy's in Greenfield is the best processor

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2020, 9:31 PM

Roy’s is extremely limited in their offerings. Bens in Atascadero or Corralitos Meat market make Roy’s look like child play.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've taken bucks all the way down to paper wrapped and in the freezer. But it's BS to claim you have to know how. Not everyone wants to get dirty and not everyone is comfortable doing it. This is CA, Hell, most people don't even hunt. I'm sure not gonna judge over it.