Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:51 AM

Default We need a new forum

WE NEED A NEW FORUM/TOPIC/CATAGORY

We need one that allows us to share where we shoot

Like Bee canyon- Never heard of it.

There are thousands of little areas out there that we go to shoot that are NOT pay ranges. WHERE ARE THEY?

For instance, I live in Bakersfield, I go to the old/abandoned cement batchplant/rock quarry/concrete dump/dump. It is about a mile past the Buttonwillow airport. Nice relatively quiet place to shoot. Lots of people go there. Lots of people dump there too. Like entire households of stuff sometimes. (kinda sad) I asked another member if he ever went there, he said he didn't even know Buttonwillow had an airport.

We need a spot to tell other Calgunners where we go to shoot. Then, we need to haul off a little bit more than we haul in. Yea, that would be nice.

It is at 35.343185,-119.494675 about 1 mile South/West of the airstrip. They fly more RC planes there than real ones.

Sorry I put this post in the wrong spot at first.
Old 01-10-2022, 1:31 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.shootingrangeindustries.c...ing-solutions/
Old 01-10-2022, 1:14 PM

Well, I do not understand the link to a bunch of expensive things to make urban pay-to-play ranges. That is pretty much the polar opposite of what I am talking about. IE a Thread to share where you go to shoot for free.

I posted my area. Findable on most map sites as the big area of scratched dirt a mile SW of the BW airport.
Old 01-10-2022, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Generally speaking we don't like to advertise where people can dump their crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 01-10-2022, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Generally speaking we don't like to advertise where people can dump their crap.
Or where we're going to get blamed for it. Too many people take old appliances and other assorted junk to shoot up and just leave it.
Old 01-10-2022, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Or don't clean up their empty shotgun shells or pick up their brass.
Old 01-10-2022, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertankerm60a3 View Post

There are thousands of little areas out there that we go to shoot that are NOT pay ranges. WHERE ARE THEY?

For instance, I live in Bakersfield, I go to the old/abandoned cement batchplant/rock quarry/concrete dump/dump. It is about a mile past the Buttonwillow airport. Nice relatively quiet place to shoot. Lots of people go there. Lots of people dump there too. Like entire households of stuff sometimes. (kinda sad) I asked another member if he ever went there, he said he didn't even know Buttonwillow had an airport.

We need a spot to tell other Calgunners where we go to shoot. Then, we need to haul off a little bit more than we haul in. Yea, that would be nice.

It is at 35.343185,-119.494675 about 1 mile South/West of the airstrip. They fly more RC planes there than real ones.

You gotta make some buddies that like to shoot outside and go with them. No one is going to advertise like you are saying because idiots go to BLM land and treat it like a dump, leave trash all over the place, and also who would want their nice little spot to get crowded with other people? The reason people go out there to shoot is to get away from people they don't know and trust to be safe...

You can look at maps of BLM land near you and scout for spots though.
Old 01-10-2022, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I was just thinking about this the other day, and what a great idea it would be - and then I woke up.

For all the reasons everyone is saying, the very reason the long-time clandestined places would soon be ruined if published, is because of the cost factor.

It's going to attract the lowest common denominator of riff-raff, merely because "free" - and they'll be detrimental for the same reason those types are a danger at public ranges like Angeles; muzzle sweeping the line, gun to the head selfies, showing up drunk/stoned, screwing with a jammed cartridge cooking off in the chamber back at the bench/sideways down the firing line, getting the girlfriend/wife to shoot the .500S&W whereby she's never shot a gun before in her life, walking down range during live fire, shooting everything but their target, general lack of safety, and the like - it's a long list of stupid.

And without range officers, and self-governing required, even if you politely ask or advise such morons to please be safe with their gun handling, or to clean up, they're usually going to go hot-head offended about that and try to pick a fight - with gun in hand - "You talkin' to me bro?"

These secretive places are kept close to the vest, to enjoy the freedom of exercising a variety of shooting dicsiplines they provide, the safety of small numbers and being among trusted, experienced SAFE gun enthusiasts ( i.e., no " Yo, I got this, bro" bros), and the luxury of a clean environmemt that won't cause the BLM rangers/patrol or environmentalists to cry to shut it down because of an abundance of Corona bottles, Coors cans, Vaping-sticks, fast-food litter, graffiti, and the other stupid noted above.

It's especially frustrating for me, not having grown up in CA, to hear people say "going shooting out in the desert" and be completely baffled by where that might be, because I've never personally found a spot "out in the desert" that I was sure was legal to shoot there nor wasn't in proximity to private property, etc.

Ironically, in reverse, the same would be the case in my advantage for clandestine places to shoot 'out in the hills' or 'out by the lake' where I grew up in the midwest and south, so I can understand why nobody wishes to share their BLM 'hole' here on Calguns.

It's frustrating, but I can appreciate it all the same, for their sake, the lucky dogs....

--
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 01-10-2022 at 7:58 PM..
Old 01-10-2022, 11:04 PM

Well the original premise was that we, at Calgunners were substantially better than most (others) and by getting other forum members out to these areas and, like I said hauling out more that we haul in we can make things better. I guess "we" are not a "we" but rather a collection of "me"'s. And after all now I see it is certainly a me first attitude that is prevailing. Well, I showed you my area, I hope to see you out there. Next time I go.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Best to keep good shooting spots to yourself. Typically when one gets shared online everything will go to h%#l after that. It's nice to think everyone will respect the area and clean up after themselves or maybe even haul a little bit out, but that NEVER happens.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well the original premise was that we, at Calgunners were substantially better than most (others) and by getting other forum members out to these areas and, like I said hauling out more that we haul in we can make things better. I guess "we" are not a "we" but rather a collection of "me"'s. And after all now I see it is certainly a me first attitude that is prevailing. Well, I showed you my area, I hope to see you out there. Next time I go.
Certainly you and your 25 posts since May have made a difference.

It's nice that you shared but I'm not motivated to look into it in the slightest, and good luck to you.

I've got my own private spot and that suits me just fine. It's not a "me" attitude, it's a preservation/conservation one. You're new, green, and you'll certainly learn that the hard way in the long run when "your" spot is a cess-pool from oversharing. The people that are telling you this are not being selfish, they are being pragmatic, going off of the memory of what great shooting spots they once had, were later defiled to crap-holes and simply no longer manageable.

It's my private refuge, my solace, and no, I'm not sharing with some 25 post anonymous guy on the internet, which to do so would mean sharing with any other number of thousands of anonymous guys on the internet if I should share that here with you.

If I should see you at 'Angeles' or a 'Place to Shoot' some time, well, that's fine too - that's what public ranges are for.

Welcome to Calguns.

---
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 01-11-2022 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-11-2022, 10:23 AM

Question for the slobs that leave their trash, junk, targets.....Why?

Federal gun laws prohibit felons from having any contact with firearms and ammunition.

Trey Gowdy 2024 No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos or frauds.

“The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy” DJT 1/7/21
Old 01-11-2022, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What you don't realize is that ANYBODY can make a calguns account and no offense but, not everybody who makes an account is a person of integrity and can be trusted to be a good person. Some individuals make an account just to snoop around, I mean who wouldn't love a list of the places people go to shoot so that they could go themselves and treat it like a dump, then in the process make those of us that clean after themselves look bad for their mess.
Old 01-11-2022, 4:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I go to my place to shoot and I've NEVER hauled out more than I brought in for a shooting session. I've invited friends that appreciate a clean range and make it happen when they're done.

Not everyone that stops by and asks to shoot can get in. I've called the sheriff on those who don't ask more than a few times.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 01-11-2022, 4:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbutold View Post
Question for the slobs that leave their trash, junk, targets.....Why?
Crappy attitude and no appreciation for the forum.

Same as those who use the hell out of the Marketplace here and never become doners...for $25 a year.

Heaven goes by favor.

Last edited by -hanko; 01-11-2022 at 5:47 PM..
Old 01-11-2022, 5:18 PM
retired Goon

Quote:

In the past, members used to post this type of information in the following forums...

CGSSA Northern California Chapters
~Sacramento Chapter
~Bay Area Chapter
~Wine Country Chapter
~San Jose Chapter
~209 Chapter

CGSSA Southern California Chapters
~L.A. Chapter
~O.C. Chapter
~San Bernardino Chapter
~Ventura Chapter
~San Diego Chapter
~A.V. Chapter
~Riverside Chapter

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-11-2022, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You're way off base. Do you think everyone here is a "calgunner" and will automatically respect shooting spots? These posts pop up on google. Any f'ing idiot in the world can instantly find posts here so posting a secret spot is dumb as hell.

With your attitude, I am glad that people are secretive.
Old 01-12-2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
I go to my place to shoot and I've NEVER hauled out more than I brought in for a shooting session. I've invited friends that appreciate a clean range and make it happen when they're done.

Not everyone that stops by and asks to shoot can get in. I've called the sheriff on those who don't ask more than a few times.
Any litterbug/slobs among those target shooters you have the sheriff roll out for? Any Calgunners?

Federal gun laws prohibit felons from having any contact with firearms and ammunition.

Trey Gowdy 2024 No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos or frauds.

“The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy” DJT 1/7/21
Old 01-12-2022, 8:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbutold View Post
Any litterbug/slobs among those target shooters you have the sheriff roll out for? Any Calgunners?
No litterbugs/slobs...only those who say they have no ideas as to property ownership. No Calguns members as I don't ask...just local idiots.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 01-12-2022, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Not a good idea, on open forum IMHO
Old 01-12-2022, 9:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Not a good idea, on open forum IMHO
What's not a good idea?

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 AM

Advertising where you shoot is like publishing your home address and then wondering why bums show up at your BBQ with their buddies.

I know this great place, safe and secluded, nice backstop berms, a small table for picnics, two covered benches with no one else around. It will stay that way only because its a great place, safe and secluded, nice backstop berms, a small table for picnics, two covered benches and NO ONE ELSE AROUND.
Old 01-12-2022, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What's not a good idea?
Advertising your secret BLM shooting spots on a public forum so a bunch of idiots can come trash them.
Old 01-12-2022, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
Advertising your secret BLM shooting spots on a public forum so a bunch of idiots can come trash them.
I agree not everyone is a person of integrity, As a kid I was always taught to clean up after myself, I don't think that stuck with everyone as an adult though.
Old 01-13-2022, 8:25 AM

We sgould require everyonebto post their favorite shooting spots as ee as their favorite camping, hiking, fushing and hunting spots.

we could neme the thread," Spots revealed " or even better

How to screw up your favorite spot with only one post"

you all go first while I prioritize my favorite spot in each category.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
We sgould require everyonebto post their favorite shooting spots as ee as their favorite camping, hiking, fushing and hunting spots.

we could neme the thread," Spots revealed " or even better

How to screw up your favorite spot with only one post"

you all go first while I prioritize my favorite spot in each category.
or even better, make a special thread for contributors only, that way only real calgunners will know about those spots.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
These forums are viewable by anyone, "We" (many of us) are already busy hauling tons of other peoples trash from the spots the public knows about and we can't keep up. We are not hiding our favorite secret spots from you we are hiding them from all the people who trash them.

Quote:
Americans vs. Democrats

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

Old 01-14-2022, 1:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...I guess "we" are not a "we" but rather a collection of "me"'s. And after all now I see it is certainly a me first attitude that is prevailing...
Such commentary denotes a lack of understanding as to why many are 'secretive' about locations; from where they shoot to where they fish to where the best... whatever is.

Most of us think of ourselves as the 'good guys,' making a minimal impact. Yet, your very presence changes the attributes of the location, no matter your efforts to mitigate the impact. Multiply that by however many respond to the 'advertising.' At what point do the individual impacts add up to major changes to the very attributes which attracted you to the site in the first place? How long before such changes compel you to seek another location and begin the process all over again? How long before you run out of alternatives and so do the rest of us?

Many of us have watched what happens when a 'nice place to shoot' became popular and invited the 'attention' of officialdom. Let's just say that more often than not, it does not end well.
Old 01-14-2022, 9:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoColt21 View Post
or even better, make a special thread for contributors only, that way only real calgunners will know about those spots.
And it's only a matter of a very short time that a contributor sends the location to someone who PROMISES to not divulge the location.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 01-14-2022, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Perhaps we should all post our favorite fishing hole and hunting spots too? For the single guys how about the number of your best gal?

Quote:
Americans vs. Democrats

Old 01-14-2022, 12:32 PM

History has shown this to be a bad idea

Old 01-14-2022, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
And it's only a matter of a very short time that a contributor sends the location to someone who PROMISES to not divulge the location.
Very possible, I expect all contributors to have more sense than that though but you're right there's always that "one" person.