Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2019, 1:42 PM

Default The History on SD County BLM and the Board of Supervisors

For those not in the local SDCO Gun Owner's PAC loop or other spheres of influence, below is the email that was just sent, detailing what happened between Dianne Jacobs, the County Board of Supervisors, and the target shooting communities that were potentially impacted by the county proposal to close BLM land to shooters.

Quote:
Regarding Shooting On Public Land (BLM)....

I have received more feedback, texts, messages, emails, and phone calls about the CRPA article titled CRPANEWS: SAN DIEGO ORDINANCE TO SHUT DOWN PUBLIC SHOOTING ON BLM LANDS than just about anything in the past.
"Did CRPA just take all the credit?"

I want to really be clear. CRPA, NRA, Gun Owners of California, Gun Owners of America, SDMust, Armed Equality, Pink Pistols, Guns'N'Moses, Safari Club International, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) are some of the extremely important groups who are all fighting in different ways to protect and restore our right to keep and right to bear arms. We all have our part to play and I am a proud member of each organization.

When San Diego County tried to ban target shooting on federal land, a lot of people from a lot of groups sprang into action. CRPA/NRA wrote some legal letters stating their case. South Bay Rod and Gun Club met with County Board members. SDMust testified at the County Board meeting and filed an Americans with Disabilities Act complaint with the federal government because shutting down shooting at Pink Gate and Donohoe Flats would have a negative impact on people who are physically disabled by interfering with their ability to use public lands. More people from more groups did even more and everybody got the word out so we could fill the meeting with allies.

What did SDCGO do? We spoke to the Board and we realized that since the land in questions is managed by the federal government, but nobody was talking to them. Thanks to an SDCGO member who has a persnaly relationship with Sec. of the Interior Ryan Zinke, we reached out directly to the Department of Interior decision makers. The Interior Department was unaware of the actions San Diego County Board of Supervisors. Our discussion resulted in action, by the Bureau of Land Management, to notify the legal department of San Diego County that shooting will not be banned. Period.

The point is everyone did something and you never know what will win. CRPA, NRA, and all the other groups promote what they do. They can't report everything and that makes sense. The purpose of newsletters and articles is to let members know what groups are doing on their behalf so you know why you are supporting us.

We all work to protect and restore our Second Amendment rights.
Should we all work together more and talk about each other more? Yes. SDCGO believes we should and if you have ever been to one of our monthly meetings, you have probably heard us suggest that you join all the groups. I am not interested in competing with or fighting with other pro Second Amendment groups. We should all work together to get more done and SDCGO has been committed to doing that from our first day.

Did you know SDCGO offered CRPA a spot on our Board so that they would have a position of leadership in our organization as we grew? They declined and that is ok. They are doing other important things and we are thankful for the work they do.

Did you know FPC and SDCGO talk and strategize all the time? Phone calls, emails, etc. FPC has been an amazing resource.
Did you know SDCGO is a huge fan of Mike Johnson from SDMust and the work they do? None of these public lands would be available for us to use without Mike Johnson. For years he has been working hard to make sure these lands are clear and clean. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Our motto is "Together, We Will Win" and it is something we live by. We....ALL of us...had a victory. Let's celebrate! And let it motivate us all to get even more involved because organizing works.

Thank you all for the support.

Michael A. Schwartz
Executive Director
San Diego County Gun Owners PAC
Old 01-21-2019, 6:43 PM

This was in the South bay rod & gun club news letter this month

Quote:
In June 2018, the County announced it was going to close the entire area around Otay Mt. to target shooting, including our Range. Our Club Officers and others quickly responded, resulting in ~ 90% reduction in the area from consideration, including our Range. However, 1.98 square miles (the Pink Gate by the Border Patrol Check Point) and 1.38 square miles (Donohue Flats, North East of the Range) remained in consideration. At the direction and leadership of our Club President, Don Gussler, an e-blast was sent to Club members asking them to attend the 9 Oct 2018 SD County Supervisors hearing on the proposal. While our Range was no longer proposed for closure, the Club Officers understood there was no guarantee against future attempts to close our Range. They also wanted to prevent another restriction of shooters rights, i.e. recreational shooting on this BLM land. The NRA and CRPA also sent e-blasts. At the hearing, County Staff explained the rationale for closures was fires caused by shooters, and rounds going over or impacting houses in the Dulzura area. There was much discussion about the 20 May 2017 fire at the Pink Gate, and other fires attributed to shooters. Of the calls to the Sheriff about rounds passing over-head, 70% were from two families. No evidence of bullet impacts or rounds over-head was given. Several persons spoke in support of closure. I was the first speaker in opposition. Our Treasurer and Business Manager Jon Sivers gave the Club’s position. Michael Schwartz of SD County Gun Owners, Gary Brennan of SD County Wild Life Federation, Attorney Tiffany Cheuvront for CRPA, Mike Johnson of SDMust, Mike StClair, Tina Clippinger and many others spoke or were in the attendance. All of us gave good reasons not to pass the proposed ordinance, including the fact the County can’t regulate the BLM (see video). However, the ordinance was approved. By law, there had to be a second reading and vote before it could go into effect. In the interim, we had meetings with Supervisors or their Staff. The second reading on November 13, 2018 was almost a repeat of the first hearing. I gave a PowerPoint with the theme “fix it, don’t close it”. I agreed that because of direction or proximity, certain sites should be off limits to shooting, but pointed out that just a few yards away there were safe and appropriate sites for shooting. At minimal expense, these sites could be improved with back stop berms, and removal of flammable vegetation. Dulzura residents had suggested a safe parking area could be made at the Pink Gate. SDMust had volunteered to remove trash and do maintenance. The same excellent speakers as in the first hearing give their presentations as well (see video). In the end the ordinance was passed, but this time there was an amendment to work with the BLM to identify appropriate areas for target shooting. The Supervisors will also re-evaluate the issue in one year. I, and we all, should thank Don Gussler for his leadership here, as well as Vice Pres. Bobby Lean, Michael Schwartz, Gary Brennan, Attorney Tiffany Cheuvront, Mike Johnson, Mike StClair, Tina Clippinger, David Harris, Kent Lewis, Chris Zucconi, and others that I didn’t identify. Most of all we should thank Jon Sivers who organized us all, worked on this tirelessly, was available for many for meetings, and drove people around to the areas in question. While this was not a victory for us, the County will continue to work on this issue. As of this writing the County has not yet made progress on the amendment. County Staff has told me they know they are required to do so. We are also still waiting to see an official response from BLM. Will they allow the County of San Diego to exert jurisdiction over Federal Land? We are all waiting to see how this story ends. If you would like to see video of the actual meetings, here is the link: sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/ general/board-meeting-video.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken from above quote
However, the ordinance was approved. By law, there had to be a second reading and vote before it could go into effect. In the interim, we had meetings with Supervisors or their Staff. The second reading on November 13, 2018 was almost a repeat of the first hearing. I gave a PowerPoint with the theme “fix it, don’t close it”. I agreed that because of direction or proximity, certain sites should be off limits to shooting, but pointed out that just a few yards away there were safe and appropriate sites for shooting. At minimal expense, these sites could be improved with back stop berms, and removal of flammable vegetation. Dulzura residents had suggested a safe parking area could be made at the Pink Gate. SDMust had volunteered to remove trash and do maintenance. The same excellent speakers as in the first hearing give their presentations as well (see video). In the end the ordinance was passed, but this time there was an amendment to work with the BLM to identify appropriate areas for target shooting. The Supervisors will also re-evaluate the issue in one year.

This was taken from the OP

Quote:
Thanks to an SDCGO member who has a persnaly relationship with Sec. of the Interior Ryan Zinke, we reached out directly to the Department of Interior decision makers. The Interior Department was unaware of the actions San Diego County Board of Supervisors. Our discussion resulted in action, by the Bureau of Land Management, to notify the legal department of San Diego County that shooting will not be banned. Period.
Is this to mean SD county is required to reopen the BLM land they just voted to close ?? I thought for sure the county had the right to close the land to shooting . After all there was a fire at the pink gate spot just a year ago or so do to shooting . It's my understanding that yes BLM land is federal but they wave most of there authority and differ to the local authorities because they likely know what's best for there area . Is the county appealing this new order , I don't see how they don't win on appeal ???

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

If you have the time check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE or a picture of Mohamed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwpwP_fIqY

Last edited by Metal God; 01-21-2019 at 6:46 PM..
Old 01-23-2019, 4:27 PM
CGSSA Associate

SDMust volunteers have already been out to Pink gate and Donohoe Mtn several times since the fire restrictions were lowered to level I.
We will continue to to do so until the weather becomes too dry again and fire restrictions are returned to level II or III.

There will likely be some smaller clean and shoot events in the next couple months to keep the trash at bay. There will also be a meet+greet soon at Slovak indoor range to discuss our plans for the next few years, and two to three large BLM clean ups are in the works for 2019.

If anyone would like to help in our efforts please go to
Www.sdmust.org to volunteer or donate .

You can also help by sending me a message or pics of any locations that need to tidied up , so we can keep track of clean ups for possible grants and funding in the future. This also helps us to plan our clean ups in our three year rotation of locations .

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post22648915

Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson