Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Default Is a CCW permit revoked in the aftermath of a gun fight?

Just yesterday, I was speaking with another seeker who is in process to acquire a permit here in San Diego. The subject in the title of this thread came up and I thought what harm would there be to ask those who already have their permits. What would be the status of our CCW permits be after we get into a incident where a permit holder feels compelled to act? An investigation would ensue and we would have to surrender our firearm. Would our permit be suspended or revoked? What about the other weapons on our list of three? Would we be able to carrying those other weapons or would we be unable to carry at all pending the outcomeof the investigation to the prior shooting event? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My thoughts are it will depend on what happened and how the facts look. I know thats mushy, but its also true.

Saving a school bus of kids is going to play different than something that looks like an escalated road rage issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 07-19-2019, 2:30 PM

Good question. I've always wondered that myself. As for a CA CCW, it's up to the IA. Free states usually pull permits if you're indicted of criminal charges and convicted.
Old 07-20-2019, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you use it you can loose it, facts of life here. Still probably better than being dead.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Bad time to lose it too, some crazed family member of the attacker could decide to do something bad to you and yours.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
If you use it you can loose it, facts of life here. Still probably better than being dead.
*lose
Old 07-21-2019, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

First, if I had to defend myself, I wouldn't be worrying about procedural events after the fact. Second, if, after defending myself, someone made the choice that I should not be able to do so in the future because of it, I'd realize that I lived in a place run by the worst and stupidest people imaginable, and would move.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 07-21-2019, 8:50 AM

Why would you lose it if you used it in a legal and justified incident?

I don't recall in CCW training that it was a one time use license. And as already mentioned - whether you keep it is really up to our justice system. So I guess that there answers your question.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Probably suspended until completion of investigation. Could be a real problem if you dropped a gang banger and his bros are bent on revenge.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I am convinced it would depend on the facts of the shooting and the disposition of your IA.

My IA is very CCW friendly so I'm thinking if it was a clean self defense shooting he would support you all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 07-21-2019, 3:43 PM

I have a friend who lives out of this state but was a former California resident. Now she's has her CCW in that other state of (MO) but her sister who also had one, has had her CCW permit revoked due to a felony charged for embezzlement of a nonprofit organization that cares for cats. The issuing authority pulled her CCW permit after she turned herself in to the local police. Now the obvious question is what does one have to do with other? My point is, that it really comes down to that issuing authority having confidence in the individual with which the Sheriff grants a permit to, and to be and act responsible exercising their 2nd Amendment rights and if they loose that confidence they may very well pull ones permit.
Old 07-21-2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Sister View Post
I have a friend who lives out of this state but was a former California resident. Now she's has her CCW in that other state of (MO) but her sister who also had one, has had her CCW permit revoked due to a felony charged for embezzlement of a nonprofit organization that cares for cats. The issuing authority pulled her CCW permit after she turned herself in to the local police. Now the obvious question is what does one have to do with other? My point is, that it really comes down to that issuing authority having confidence in the individual with which the Sheriff grants a permit to, and to be and act responsible exercising their 2nd Amendment rights and if they loose that confidence they may very well pull ones permit.

The phrase “Of good moral character.” sticks out to me in this particular situation. Im sure San Diego County would revoke it as well being that one of the primary factors to qualify for the permit is to be of good moral character.
Old 07-22-2019, 5:28 AM

Quote:
*lose
Old 07-22-2019, 5:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Probably suspended until completion of investigation. Could be a real problem if you dropped a gang banger and his bros are bent on revenge.
Speculation like this leads to FUD. What are you basing this on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
I am convinced it would depend on the facts of the shooting and the disposition of your IA.
I am convinced you are right.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 07-22-2019 at 5:48 AM..
Old 07-22-2019, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

She deserved to lose it.

Good on the IA for paying attention.
Old 07-22-2019, 6:42 AM

Loose a CCW??? Heck I'd be more worried about how many days in jail and how much my legal fees are going to be even if the Government agrees that my firearm use was justified.

Although being an old guy I might just stay in jail until they kick me out.

People must remember Gun Owners are the ENEMY of the Deep State.

Last edited by not-fishing; 07-22-2019 at 6:52 AM..
Old 07-31-2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
Loose a CCW??? Heck I'd be more worried about how many days in jail and how much my legal fees are going to be even if the Government agrees that my firearm use was justified.

Although being an old guy I might just stay in jail until they kick me out.

People must remember Gun Owners are the ENEMY of the Deep State.
Let me help you out ParadigmGuy

** Lose **
Old 07-31-2019, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pretty sure we have fail
Old 07-31-2019, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

San Bernardino County Sheriff's recommend having two pistols on your permit so that in the case of using one for self defense, you have a backup. In SBC, you can only add or remove pistols from your permit when renewed every two years. The limit is 3 pistols. This department is very pro 2A. They are also very protective of tarnishing the reputation of the ccw process and don't want anyone turning into a bad example in a state that they agree does not value our right to defend ourselves. A single traffic ticket here or there is noted and not acted upon, but if you continue to do take stupid actions or break the law, your done.

YMMV, especially in a different county.
Old 08-12-2019, 7:40 AM

Not to go too off subject but somewhat related to the status of ones permit. I read your replies to the story about my friends sister who both live out of state (MO) and the revoking of her CCW when the issuing authority found out she was being accused of a crime she may or may not have committed. We here put time and money into acquiring our CCW permit in San Diego which in all indications has become somewhat of an anomaly. With 3.5 million living in this county thats like 1/1000 of the population. So we're a rare breed exercising our 2A rights. It would be a shame to lose that privilege due to an accusation of impropriety especially when one isn't afforded due process. My friends sister was only accused of a crime, not convicted of one. So some of you who thought she should lose her permit before her day in court maybe right. All I'm saying is that if we should find ourselves investigated for an alleged crime should we also have our permits automatically suspended or revoked as well. Food for thought.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:34 PM

Think of it this way, if a CCW permit holder is accused of murder, should he have his permit suspended pending a conviction in court? Food for thought.
Old 08-29-2019, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
*lose
By quoting his entire post you're taking up quite a but of screen space. All this scrolling makes my finger tired. Quoting the individual sentance would be so much nicer.
Old 08-29-2019, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
By quoting his entire post you're taking up quite a but of screen space. All this scrolling makes my finger tired. Quoting the individual sentance would be so much nicer.
You're right.
Old 08-29-2019, 7:32 AM

i see what you did there.