Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-29-2021, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Default Chinese Type 53

I picked this T53 up a few years ago at a small gun store in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. The story I got when I bought it is that they got it, along with some other guns from a fellow in his late 40's that had inherited the firearms from his father.

They were primarily what I would call a Tactical AR store, so they had no real use for it and wanted to get rid of it. Being the sucker that I am for old surplus rifles I bought it without a second thought.

Now, before anyone says anything, I know perfectly well to buy the gun not the story, but I only paid $150 OTD for it so whatever it's story is, I figure I got a fair deal. It is dated 1956 with the last digit of the date being a bit hard to read and was made in factory 26.

It has a decent bore and and oddly enough the magazine still matches the receiver although the bolt is unnumbered and the buttplate is not matching. The more I look at it the more I am wondering if it is a Vietnam bring back. There is no import mark on it and the overall exterior condition is what I would call combat rough. The stock has been repaired with both a wood patch and what looks like nails.

Unfortunately, I have no more information on it. I tried asking the folks at the store where I bought it, but they had never seen the guy before and all they would say about him was his age (they got his ID when they bought it). I wish I could talk to the guy and find out if there is a back story on it or if it is just another beat up old rifle. But the shop was reluctant to give me any further info on the seller, which I perfectly understand.

No matter what, I am glad I got it and it certainly has a story to tell even if I have no idea of what it is.

All Dumocraps suck balls.

Last edited by highpower; 06-29-2021 at 8:29 AM..
Old 06-29-2021, 4:36 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

If it has no import marks I would suspect s Vietnam bring back.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 06-29-2021, 7:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Look very hard for import marks some are very tiny and on places like the bayonet mount. If none probably a bringback. I've also had situations like this where the shop refused much info on the consigner which I expected.

I once acquired a no import mark Nagant revolver dated 1929 not rearsenaled that came in an old Luger holster. From a pawnshop. Less than $200 about 5 years ago. Ended up selling at auction about $1000.
Old 06-30-2021, 3:21 AM
Veteran Member

I've look pretty hard and I also asked my son to look just in case I missed something. I even removed the action from the stock and looked. No import marks at all.

There is no way to prove it one way or the other, but it sure looks like it could have come out of SE Asia.

All Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 06-30-2021, 5:49 AM
Banned

The stock is a lot cleaner than my T53’s. Most T53 rifles look beat to hell.

$150 wasn’t a bad price but with Mosins all gone up in price the T53’s are actually worth a chunk of change. Seems like not many were imported.
Old 07-01-2021, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought a few of those when I still had my C&R.

Once I cleaned them up they all shot really well and the actions were smooth. The wood is not worthy of mention. Looks like a steamy pile.

The machine work is outstanding when compared to a war time Russian Mosin.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-20-2021, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If only it could talk. It would probably have some amazing stories to tell.
Old 07-20-2021, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting stock repair
Old 07-22-2021, 2:08 PM

Anyone else thing the stock is soviet and not chinese? the chinese ones always seemed a little wider, especially at the action.

lack of gromets for the sling also seems to say wartime soviet production.