Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-12-2021, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I am NOT going to give underage kids access to the real deal, but WILL hand them a 1000 FPS airgun, Full-auto paintball gun, and a hand crossbow... if home alone for a few hours, as it is better than the accidental legal ramifications of the alternative for many reasons.
full auto paint gun! They will shoot there eye out!!
Old 04-13-2021, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
Full auto paint gun! They will shoot their eye out!!
FIFY
Old 04-13-2021, 9:42 AM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
... She made a comment like "you couldn't just go to NV and buy?" I told her about the empty shelves at the Reno Cabelas and the Bass Pro in OR. While I am fortunate to have been stocking up when I could buy online, I will use this conversation as the "go ahead" to pick up when I can.
Back on track.....there's TONS of ammo on Gunbroker. Anything you want.

You just have to pay the price.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 04-13-2021, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Some of it is cheaper than when online vendors get some in, and it's familiar American brands, not some crap made in Kazakhstan.

You just have to look for it. If you just surf from the start and keep going, it will show you the auctions where a premium is charged so you see it first. The cheaper ammo is sold by cheapskates toward the back that didn't pay the premium charge. Do a search by maximum starting bid.

Also, beware the auctions that start at .01, because that's where everyone else is looking for a bargain. Sometimes you'll find one, but often auction fever takes over, and the highest selling prices are on penny auctions.
Old 04-15-2021, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is a great tool for dry firing practice at home. You can use it alone or with a few free apps available online (iTarget Pro, LaserHIT, etc) that can track your speed and accuracy. Perfect for getting used to your gun/sights before spending $$$ down range.

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Rhino-La...s%2C257&sr=8-2
Old 04-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
It seems every 4 years or so we have an ammo shortage. This latest shortage does seem like the worst one to me; maybe a combination of a nation wide shortage and CA's limitation on buying online.

I feel sorry for new gun owners and more casual shooters. They are truly limited in options for training. My buddy just bought his first gun at age 50. He told me he has 2 boxes of ammo that cost him $60 (I think). I'm not sure if that is target ammo or self defense but how does one familiar with this new tool when you can't really shoot it (let alone improve). If he only has target ammo, he's at a bit of a disadvantage for self-defense...

My wife is clueless on the situation. She made a comment like "you couldn't just go to NV and buy?" I told her about the empty shelves at the Reno Cabelas and the Bass Pro in OR. While I am fortunate to have been stocking up when I could buy online, I will use this conversation as the "go ahead" to pick up when I can.
There are some dry fire systems like iTarget. iTarget is not too expensive and uses a laser I think.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:02 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
BE ADVISED: MY Beeman break-barrel 1000 FPS .177 Pellet airgun can put a Crossman Premier 7.9gr domed pellet THROUGH (side to side) a 2-liter capped-bottle of water, and the end to end test showed it WOULD work well as a "bad decision, breaking-in re-evaluator" if in flesh... ... ... and legal to use for SD in my city/sphere of influence.

A life-long friend of mine got a semi-auto shotgun recently, and said he didn't want to kill in intruder, just defend his family and kids...
He doesn't know even a bird-shot shell at 7 yards spreads only ~7-inches... AND at ~7YD the bad-guy would suffer exponentially-worse wounds, than say a 9mm, or a 40 Cal J-HP...
Up until recently a friend of mine said he didn't want to kill an intruder. So he wanted to get some bean bag rounds or something. I explained to him why that was a bad idea.

A bird shot round can be areal problem too...If every bullet has a lawyer attached you end up with a lot of little bullets AND it might not do the job too.

I think its better to use the right ammo for the job.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:08 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
~1 1/8oz #8 = ~492.1875 grains of lead shot going 1000+ FPS is substantially more, even if a ~7" of spread, while not penetrating as much, w/~4x as much scattered lead as a 124gr 9mm, or just under 4x for .40 ACP I last bought for him... during our prior range trip, before Cali had ammo restrictions...

https://youtu.be/zaR1EVybUgc?t=8m0s

More nerve endings a'tingling from surface/skin-wounds, so he got that right as far as bad-idea deterrent/notice would be taken upon flesh-entry...
Yeah, but actually stopping a guy full of meth is another thing. You gotta get to the organs. Cops frequently find that people who are shot keep coming after multiple shots. Although the ammunition, and practice has made Officers more lethal.
Old 04-18-2021, 6:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Up until recently a friend of mine said he didn't want to kill an intruder. So he wanted to get some bean bag rounds or something. I explained to him why that was a bad idea.

A bird shot round can be areal problem too...If every bullet has a lawyer attached you end up with a lot of little bullets AND it might not do the job too.

I think its better to use the right ammo for the job.
Yeah, I am not going to argue with this guy, he is a neo-hippy of sorts, although a Libertarian. It is STILL better than nothing, AND he does pack some high-brass in his tube, but not sure how it is HD-stacked. He has some handguns on order, back-ordered for months, but at least he is pro-gun, even though he says guns are a necessary evil, due to all the crazies we discuss here, and needing firearms... in case of.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:05 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Yeah, I am not going to argue with this guy, he is a neo-hippy of sorts, although a Libertarian. It is STILL better than nothing, AND he does pack some high-brass in his tube, but not sure how it is HD-stacked. He has some handguns on order, back-ordered for months, but at least he is pro-gun, even though he says guns are a necessary evil, due to all the crazies we discuss here, and needing firearms... in case of.
Yeah, I wouldn't say argue with him, but if you can find an authoritative article explaining why using the most lethal round available is preferred over half measures, that might help him understand.
Old 04-18-2021, 7:43 PM

Everything is beginning to come back in stock, but slowly. AIM surplus had 7.62X39 Wolf for $8/20 the other day. Higher than pre-craziness, but that's a caliber I don't reload for, so it was worth buying.

Seeing 9mm but still .50 a round, which is too high.

Primers are still hard to find but I have a few years supply.

Once many of Bidens gun control initiatives fall flat, the panic buying will subside. That's when you stack it deep
Old 04-21-2021, 6:09 AM

Birdshot in the HD gun is just fine, especially if you don't want to shoot anyone on the other side of the walls, like your kids or neighbors. I was quail hunting once and came upon a wild pig. It was about 15 yards away. A carefully placed shot of #8 lead to the head took him out, DRT.

Note: For all you cyber wardens and the like, yes I know you can't legally use shot on a pig. I was young and uninformed then and the statute of limitations has long passed. This was also long before the lead ban.
Old 05-19-2021, 7:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The real possibility of shooting through a wall and hitting an innocent on the other side should be a major factor in choosing a home defense arm. Do they still sell the Glaser safety slug?
Old 05-19-2021, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
The real possibility of shooting through a wall and hitting an innocent on the other side should be a major factor in choosing a home defense arm. Do they still sell the Glaser safety slug?
Almost never happens. Yes, it does happen but given the rarity it doesn't need to be major factor in making the choice. Hitting what you're shooting at will do more for reducing the risk than the choice of gun or ammo. Given the number of gun shots that take place there would be hundreds of thousands of dead or wounded people every year if it was a very likely situation.

How many innocent people are shot because of over penetration in a self defense or home defense shooting? Very very few. Its so rare who can point to that happening more than a few times out of the thousands upon thousands of SD/HD shootings? If it was happening more than rarely it would be the first thing leading the news, there is no way they wouldn't make it the headline.

That doesn't mean a 50 cal SLAP is the ammo of choice but we should really be considerate of reality and extreme unlikely possibilities. If we're trying to eliminate extremely unlikely possibilities then any gun is the wrong gun and any ammo is the wrong kind.

If anyone has data that shows over penetration is resulting in any significant numbers of innocents being shot (not one or two stories - real data showing its a significant problem) post it up.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
No bird shot in any of mine!! You break in and you will not be walking out period!!!!
yep, if you survive the buckshot, there are some slugs in the sling!
Old 05-19-2021, 6:24 PM

Unless one is contemplating a Ruby Ridge-style standoff or offensive operations far beyond home, I daresay most have plenty of ammo for what they need for home defense. When these topics come up I'm reminded that Kyle took out two unfriendlies and wounded a third, and escaped, in actual street combat and did that without ever changing the magazine.

Prices/supply vary widely. Forex, all during the shortage I was watching .30 carbine and it stayed relatively stable and available. OTH, 5.7x28 disappeared and got very expensive. A common caliber in my collection 7.92x57, also experienced shortages and high prices but surplus is now returning in crate lots and at more reasonable prices, a decided factor for those running semi-auto and machine guns in that caliber.

How much is enough? IDK, that's a personal decision. Forex, my dad came home from killing Nazis and never touched a gun again, and never had one instance of out in public or at home self defense threat for some five decades after active service. I've had far more run-ins in my life. Different people, different lives. Thank goodness I didn't have to kill to survive like he did. So far.