Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

tagged...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 07-04-2021, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalGSG View Post
Also don't forget one or two 5lb fire extinguishers, or even a water pressurized type. And a shovel is key also for utilities of all sorts from emergency bathroom duties, to putting out a fire, etc.
And also I include an inexpensive scissor jack and lug wrench for tire changing duties. Kept in the trailer so regardless of tow vehicle, you'll have the tools. That and a set of emergency triangles like commercial trucks are required to have.
Fire extinguisher - simple great idea. Tools - already handled

Quote:
Also if sleeping in it, a smoke alarm and CO detector are critical, also.
And make a provision to lock the outside door latch in the open position, and use a regular door latch you can operate from inside. That way, some people like my friends can't lock you in the trailer with no way you can get out while they laugh like hyenas
See picture. Hatch on lock on the right door locks the bar open. Doors have spring loaded pins that are connected to a chain. One yank and the door opens.

Fire/CO alarms - another good idea and easy to accomplish

Quote:
I love the concept, looking great. Also for regular trailers I try to keep the tires if radials, newer than 6 years.
Brand new set of tires installed/with spare. Learned my lesson on wheel bearings towing a boat and keep a spare set. See above for tools.
Old 07-10-2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
That got me looking at trackers and yearly fees. Holy Geez...

Not going to pay $30 a month fees when it sits behind a very secure gate in my yard.
I'm thinking a cheap cell phone with $15/month Mint Mobile and "Family Tracker" app would work. Keep plugged into USB Power Brick and should be GTG for two weeks or more. I'm trying to figure out a cheap, small phone with extreme batt time and low standby power use.

Pretty sure they provide real time history so even if discovered you will see where it went until discovered, AKA the Chop Shop Hideout. Should also give them pause when they see various "yep, its a tracker" info written on the masking tape on the phone. Hopefully they will ditch the trailer on the spot and bail before cops show up, since they got no way of knowing if you or cops or both will be arriving shortly.

Plus an extra cell phone is pretty high on my list of Prepper items, for 101 reasons. Give it a name of something people will answer so you can tell if they ducking your calls.

PS-trailer might be in safe spot now, but it was me I'm make the solar panels removable to have option of storing inside trailer or leaving at home since they tend to be high theft item.

Last edited by Big Chudungus; 07-10-2021 at 4:36 PM..
Old 07-11-2021, 9:29 AM

The information about securing and tracking trailers is interesting, but I am pretty comfortable with how and where mine is stored. Not going to share how it is secured, but I am comfortable with the actions I have taken. The pictures in the OP show where I did most the work - not where I store it.

On the road it is attached to my truck with locks on the security chains, and hitch/latch locks...
Old 07-12-2021, 7:43 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Very nice work so far! I really like it. I've got a 5 X 10 cargo-to-1-person-camper conversion going right now in my driveway... behind a gate... with a hitch receiver lock, safety chains have S-clips on both ends and are removed.

A few years ago I learned a little bit about RV solar from HandyBob'sBlog and put together an effective, small system similar to yours (2 100W Renogy monocrystalline panels and 1 100Ah Odyssey AGM (sealed lead acid) to run an Engel 45 qt fridge. Charge controller was a Morningstar SunSaver MPPT. Everything was plumbed with big wire.

But for this project I'm stepping it up to power (for only 5 mins at a time, maybe 3 to 5 times per day) a 1300 watt toaster and a 1400 watt Mini Keurig coffee maker, just because. 1500 watt (yeah, might have been a 2000 watt but I didn't want to step up to 2/0 cable when I had 1/0 in stock) pure sine inverter, auto transfer switch, 2 X 210 watt Newpowa monocrystalline panels already on the roof and plumbed with 8 AWG. Keeping it old school with lead acid (more 100 Ah Odyssey batteries - THREE) and Bogart Engineering's charge controller and battery monitor.

Still have to cut in at least two windows after I frame the opening. Need a welder buddy to bring a 110V unit over for tacking some 1 X 1 mild steel tubing to existing.

And so on and so forth. Haven't started a thread yet because I'm having photo transfer issues from my phone! Never had problems posting pics before. It's a pisser, that's for sure.

Pardon my ramble. I'll keep an eye on your rig, here. Thanks again for taking the time to post about it, and thanks for the pics.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 07-13-2021, 10:59 AM

A 5 x 10? Oh man - that extra 2 feet would be so cool. Never seen one that size. Love to see some pictures.

Your build sounds pretty cool.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:02 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Yes, and I would like to have an additional! foot in every direction.

But the whole point of a smaller trailer like ours is their potential agility off highway. I'd love to have a larger trailer, but then I might want bigger mirrors, there would be more aero drag (more like air brake), higher C/G, etc...

At that point might as well have a mini toy hauler or a nice travel trailer, right? and the $30,000+ price tag that goes with 'em.

Old 07-15-2021, 8:35 AM

My wife located some airtight containers that fill the shelf space nicely. She went ahead and set up the middle shelf with non perishable/ heat resistant necessities.

She has the same style containers for the next shelf down and will work on those later. Thinking bedding/toiletries/towels - more comfort items. The stuff on the shelf will go back into large Tupperware tubs on the floor.

Looking for a cargo net to hold the stuff in the lower area. Right now half the crap shown will not stay there so there will be room for tarps/moving blankets etc.

On the bright side the lights lit up the entire area- I had not really tried them at night prior to yesterday evening.

And the first outing will be this Sunday/Monday night. Got a spot at San Clemente for a trial run.

Old 07-15-2021, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My wife located some airtight containers that fill the shelf space nicely. She went ahead and set up the middle shelf with non perishable/ heat resistant necessities.

She has the same style containers for the next shelf down and will work on those later. Thinking bedding/toiletries/towels - more comfort items. The stuff on the shelf will go back into large Tupperware tubs on the floor.

Looking for a cargo net to hold the stuff in the lower area. Right now half the crap shown will not stay there so there will be room for tarps/moving blankets etc.

On the bright side the lights lit up the entire area- I had not really tried them at night prior to yesterday evening.

And the first outing will be this Sunday/Monday night. Got a spot at San Clemente for a trial run.
Looking practical and logical. Well done!

Glad to hear you're going to take it out for a "shake down cruise". Testing is key.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-19-2021, 12:40 PM

Just did a 1 night test with the trailer. As expected we have some things to work on.

The good.

Trailer towed like a dream. My truck did not even notice it was back there.
The electrical exceeded my expectations. Started out with the battery at about 60% SOC with 2 Dometic portable refrigerators plugged in. Parked in the full sun and a few hours later plugged in a small crock pot through the inverter. Also filled up mattresses and kept the inverter turned on all night.
SOC this morning at 6 was 79.5%

The minor complaints.

Nothing bad about the trailer build itself. Minor stuff like a method to hold the doors open and a roof vent has been moved from the nice to have, to the next thing to do column.

For camping duty we have some organizing stuff that needs to be addressed. Again nothing serious, but we both had ideas for the future.

Over all we considered it a successful outing. Got us out of the kids hair for a period and Recharged a bit.

Oh.... and I owe the trailer security guys an apology. Ended up I had to disconnect the trailer from my truck and only lock was a U shaped bike lock I had in my truck. Ran that through the spokes on one wheel and hoped for the best.
Old 07-20-2021, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice project!

I might suggest adding a license plate light. Some LEO are OCD about stuff like that.

EDIT> Nevermind, I see it now...
Old 07-20-2021, 9:43 AM

Love this project. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:38 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Have any updates or new photos for us?

Still struggling with the basic construction on my project.

Old 08-09-2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
....... Learned my lesson on wheel bearings towing a boat and keep a spare set. See above for tools.
If the trailer is seeing off-road use I'd suggest a complete hub/bearing set, as mentioned by another member. Learned the value of that from decades of dragging the race car trailer around, not just for myself but also to help out fellow racers on the road. I had mine set up where the whole thing was the spare tire mount so used minimal space and carried an extra bearing/race/seal kit in the parts cabinet inside.

Outstanding build, compliments on your fine detail work. The race car trailer would bow in shame. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Have any updates or new photos for us?

Still struggling with the basic construction on my project.
Ok....

We took it out for another 1 nighter after we made some storage changes. My wife is much happier with the accessability of cooking/cleaning/personal gear. This is the stuff that will live in the trailer and be used when we ulitize it as a camping rig or if we need to use it in SHTF. We have three days at the beach planned early in Sept and it turns into a true cargo trailer when I move my son up north to school later in Sept.

Finished up the wiring with a charging station in with the battery/ and the rest of the support gear. Same plugs I have in the box on the back but fused with 3A for cell phone and similar needs. Put some tool box drawer liner to help hold things in place.

Lastly I rigged up a mount and antenna mast for my radios. Steel (black plate) plate is welded on the frame and the mount is held on with grade 8 bolts. It breaks down into three lenghs and I am looking for a old metal rifle rack to mount inside to store it when not in use. I used 1 1/4 inch conduit and the base of the antenna is 18 feet off the ground. The coax is long enough to either connect to the radio in my truck or a handheld around back.

Invertor and extra cords/fuses/Yaesu FT3Dr

Antenna mount and mast. Antenna is a Comet GP-3

Last edited by swiftone; 08-09-2021 at 5:45 PM..
Old 08-11-2021, 8:34 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Thanks swift! That radio setup is pretty neat.

It's amazing what you've done with such a small space, and to retain some legit cargo room. I'm giving up the cargo part (save for a 17"-20" wide aisle on the curb side). I'm hanging the spare tire/wheel on the curb side exterior and will have a few items of some mass toward the curb side to better influence a 50/50 side-t0-side weight distribution. I'm super picky about tongue weight so I will have means of adjustment there too.

When we get the photos thing sorted out on my end as I noted I will start a thread. Meanwhile, thank you for being some additional means of inspiration/motivation/impetus to continue with my project.

Last edited by 200Apples; 08-11-2021 at 8:36 AM..
Old 08-11-2021, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

swift, that trailer is really nice. Damn good work! Apples and I have talked a bit about his trailer plans. Knowing him, it's going to very nice also. You two guys are going about this very smartly. [Is that a word?]. Forge ahead fellas.

MLC
Old 08-11-2021, 1:23 PM

200Apples and Pennstater.

Thanks and I check all the time for 200Apples build thread....i have gone at this blind and love to see how others build out their rig.

Maybe I will take a road trip to the Mojave and bust out my Lever guns and give you all a visit....
Old 08-11-2021, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
200Apples and Pennstater.

Thanks and I check all the time for 200Apples build thread....i have gone at this blind and love to see how others build out their rig.

Maybe I will take a road trip to the Mojave and bust out my Lever guns and give you all a visit....
You got lever rifles!? Chris, he's gotta be in!

MLC
Old 08-11-2021, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Put a couple 20 watt led floods on the mast to light perimeter.
Old 08-11-2021, 6:36 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post

You got lever rifles!? Chris, he's gotta be in!

MLC

I might be "talking" to him via email soon. I'll bring it up, but you know our routine: someone's gotta ask. We cannot presume everyone wants to join our lever fraternity.

At least the membership qualifications are relatively simple:

1. The only requirement for application is a *desire* to own a lever-action long gun. If you already have one or ten, then that's even better.

2. Cannot be a known douchebag elsewhere on calguns.

That's it! Simple.

Old 08-11-2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
I might be "talking" to him via email soon. I'll bring it up, but you know our routine: someone's gotta ask. We cannot presume everyone wants to join our lever fraternity.

At least the membership qualifications are relatively simple:

1. The only requirement for application is a *desire* to own a lever-action long gun. If you already have one or ten, then that's even better.

2. Cannot be a known douchebag elsewhere on calguns.

That's it! Simple.

Well now...I was on my phone and it should had read Lever Gun not Lever Guns..only have one and it is a beat up Winchester Model 92 saddle ring carbine in 45 Colt. It is my SHTF long gun...because no one is afraid of the guy with a cowboy gun.

And pretty sure I have avoided the controversial threads that might bring out any snarky responses from me. My shooting partners may feel differant...

Anyway...the LED floodlamps on the mast is a fantastic idea and will be implemented soon.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:02 PM

This thread is great. A lot of cool problem solving and innovation. I just got an 18 ft camper trailer. I’m living in it part time while I’m working this job and caretaking a great rural property. It’s been pretty cool for the most part.
Firstly, I would seal up the interior seams, plug any air gaps and add some foam insulation boards including the floor. You’ll lose a few inches internally.
Secondly, add sufficient ventilation to replace the air quickly to cool the contents down.
Thirdly, design an awning system that could be quick deployed and modular.
Good luck,. Cool project
Old 08-12-2021, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter777 View Post
Firstly, I would seal up the interior seams, plug any air gaps and add some foam insulation boards including the floor. You’ll lose a few inches internally.
Done, Done and Done except the floor. Primary use of this is NOT a place to sleep and being in California an insulated floor is not a priority

Quote:
Secondly, add sufficient ventilation to replace the air quickly to cool the contents down.
I have rear windows and will be installing a powered vent on the roof.

Quote:
Thirdly, design an awning system that could be quick deployed and modular.
I gave some thought to this, but I really am trying to keep it looking like the 10's of thousands of cargo trailers on the road. Same reason there are no windows on the side and it is tall enough that unless you really look you will not see my solar panels.
Quote:
Good luck
Thank you
Old 08-12-2021, 1:36 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:

Well now...I was on my phone and it should had read Lever Gun not Lever Guns..only have one and it is a beat up Winchester Model 92 saddle ring carbine in 45 Colt. It is my SHTF long gun...because no one is afraid of the guy with a cowboy gun.

And pretty sure I have avoided the controversial threads that might bring out any snarky responses from me. My shooting partners may feel differant...

Shooting while snarky is one thing. Keyboard commandos are another.

A '92?! you say? My favorite Winchester! Second fave is the 1873, then the Win 1894. My most favorite to shoot and clean, though, are the Marlins.

Folks should! be afraid of a 250 grain slug travelling over 1000 fps... that'll pass clean through just about any living creature in the lower 48 inside 75 yards.

Quote:
Anyway...the LED floodlamps on the mast is a fantastic idea and will be implemented soon.

Can't wait to see the results, there. I keep several old Coleman "big hat" lanterns in my kit, but I will have the 12V system big enough to power a few LED load lamps if that kind of light were my thing.

I rigged an awning for the trailer rear door, but it's not retractable nor timely. Takes about 20 mins to setup (and will be faster with practice) and maybe 5 - 10 mins to put away. It's all fairly labor-intensive.

Harbor Freight sells a lot of different-size tarps, all plastic of some kind or another. They sell just one canvas tarp that is a 6' X 8'. That's the one I built the frame for, using 3/4" EMT (conduit) and fittings from Creative Shelters.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Nice!

Do you have enough space to raise the floorboards by 12" or 18"? Use hinged panels and you now have long term storage out of the way & underneath. You'd be able to store a lot of food, water, guns & ammo, and gear etc out of view. Make the raised space at the trailer opening into a separate cabinet.
Old 08-16-2021, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Nice!

Do you have enough space to raise the floorboards by 12" or 18"? Use hinged panels and you now have long term storage out of the way & underneath. You'd be able to store a lot of food, water, guns & ammo, and gear etc out of view. Make the raised space at the trailer opening into a separate cabinet.
Pretty sure I addressed that ealier. I am not willing to give up that space. The cabinets up front hold the stuff that will live in the trailer and not be degraded by weather conditions. That includes sheltering material.

For camping we will pack expected clothing/food and personal gear in tupperwear and I have a pre packed Pelican 0550 case with food/personal accessories if we have to use as SHTF. Scepter water cans and cases of #10 cans of food are stored in my shop and easy to grab and go.
Old 08-17-2021, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
This project is perfect for “Getting out of Town” with supplies you need.
Indeed it is great for getting out of town, hopefully to a specific place where you have pre-staged the bulk of your supplies. Becoming a refugee is the worst thing you can do.
Old 08-18-2021, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapThyCat View Post
Indeed it is great for getting out of town, hopefully to a specific place where you have pre-staged the bulk of your supplies. Becoming a refugee is the worst thing you can do.
Not to get too far off the subject, but if you have ever driven out of the OC basin at 5 PM or looked at traffic patterns at that time, bugging out is not an option.

When I plan for possible SHTF it is for local events such as a earthquake that makes my house unsuitable/dangerous or situations like the fires in Irvine last year where we were one neighhood south of mandatory evac. For that we had our smaller trailer packed and ready to head to my moms house.

It is a two part deal. All my long term supplies are stored in the workshop far enough from my house that it "should" be accessible if something happens. Trailer has non degradable gear.

Keeping simple power/cooking/shelter/personal gear/food/water/communication gear in the trailer and workshop makes perfect sense till outside help arrives. If that does not happen....well that is a whole other situation.

In the meantime I have a unit we can camp out of and a perfectly good cargo trailer to use to as needed.
Old 09-06-2021, 5:52 AM

Last scheduled trip of the season. Went out yesterday and turned on the electronics to charge up the battery and get the two refrigerators cooled down. I keep the LiFep04 battery at 30% SOC and when i just checked it was at 100% (100 AH battery)

Only packing will be food and personal clothing. Everything else should be in place.

And besides some rearranging and adding a few necessities, I installed two scissor jacks in the rear to stabilized it a bit when going in and out.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:58 AM

Did a bit of finish work on the trailer.

The outside - I used rubbing compound and a good wax to get rid of 12 years of sun damage and road grime. Also picked up a new set of decals. Some elbow grease really made a huge differance and will protect it from futher weather damage.

The inside - my wife asked if there was something we could do about the ugly plywood floor. No problem - off to Home depot for some laminate flooring and moisture barrier. I ran the moisture barrier up behind the wall panels about a foot. Figured it couldn't hurt...piece of 1 inch aluminum angle finished off the threshold.

Stuff on upper left is my ham radio mast and antenna.

Last edited by swiftone; 10-14-2021 at 10:01 AM..
Old 10-14-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Install a hidden GPS tracker so you can find it if it gets stolen.
Not to get too detailed, but as a licensed ham there are other options such as APRS tracking...