Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 08-28-2022, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Default CCW backpacks

Looking at getting a backpack for edc and wanted one that was CCW friendly. I have been looking at the Maxpedition https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...15850500653127

And a few others. Not looking for something all tacted out but more like grey man. Input would be helpful. Not sold on maxpedition just more in line with what I was thinking. Thanks
Old 08-28-2022, 9:14 PM

Check out Vertx - a lot of their clothing/gear is "gray man-esque". If you're buying directly off their site, look for youtube reviews - a lot of reviewers get 20%+ off codes to give to viewers.
Old 08-28-2022, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're looking at Maxpedition, at least take a look at Vanquest. I often find their stuff is a little more thoughtfully built.

I've also been looking hard at the Viktos "Upscale 2 Slingbag" (linky below). I like it because it's a smaller, more streamlined, low-key bag. More like a bag for when you just want to run out to the store in sweats but don't want to get all "geared up." It's big enough to get a full-ish sized carry gun into and some basic necessities. But probably not your bag if you're looking for something that can carry a laptop and bunch of other stuff. They do make a bit larger size too though.

https://www.viktos.com/collections/b...upscale2-sling

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-28-2022, 9:22 PM

Default Cc’s backpack

I have had several bags. I settled on the 511 LV18. Great and comfortable backpack that blends right in. Even tags are tuckable. They also have the Covert bag but that was too big for my needs.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:07 PM

I see nothing wrong with carrying a backpack but not for a CCW.
Seems like most if the videos out there of folks using their CCW, you’d never get to it in time.
I’d get used to carrying in the waist band
Old 08-28-2022, 10:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Haley Strategic Flatpack Plus
Old 08-29-2022, 5:39 AM

Old 08-29-2022, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

I usually carry on me, just looking at a carry backpack that would have quick access and wouldn’t stand out. Elberstock has one and the closing is secured by magnets. Interesting. I do like the Haley bag too. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2022, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Looking at getting a backpack for edc and wanted one that was CCW friendly. I have been looking at the Maxpedition https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...15850500653127

And a few others. Not looking for something all tacted out but more like grey man. Input would be helpful. Not sold on maxpedition just more in line with what I was thinking. Thanks
I have this one and like it a lot.
https://www.wolftacticalusa.com/coll...32611587227748
Old 08-29-2022, 9:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Haven’t seen adults in my area with every day backpacks. But zillions carry.
Would this be for the occasional hike or biking?

Seems difficult to access the thing in time if for edc
Old 08-29-2022, 10:27 AM

In certain places do you know what backpack signals?

Antifa or a no-gooder. Look around, many stores already have signs saying no backpacks. That is just to dissuade teens and others from carrying backpacks to use as containers for stolen product. The backpack wearing person is noticed. Even where people often wear them like around colleges etc. others notice them. As more and more people doing bad things carry backpacks, it only creates more notice.

Visit some of the "free states" not to far from California and anyone who isn't hiking and a little older than HS is casually viewed as trouble walking.

Don't you notice someone carrying a backpack? If not, you should.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.
Not losing is not a Victory if everything stays the same.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Trying to get a gun out from ANY backpack really isn’t going to work when you need it IMMEDIATELY. Go concealed appendix IWB. My opinion anyway. I don’t have time to dig out a gun from a pack on my back, when bad guy is facing me with some type of weapon and ready to strike at me immediately. Carrying backpack mode is akin to not carrying at all.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-29-2022, 12:44 PM

For day hiking?

https://www.511tactical.com/covrt18-2-0.html
Old 08-29-2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
When hiking I would be more concerned with the very fast 4-legged threats than the 2-legged kind.
Old 08-30-2022, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post

The "grey man" doesn't carry a backpack...Just a holster and someplace to stash an extra magazine.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 08-30-2022, 9:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Haley Strategic Flatpack Plus also adds a ballistic panel. Might be a deal maker or breaker.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:00 AM

a good holster and a slim gun and you'll never want to deal with any of this backpack or fannypack shenanigans ever again
Old 10-19-2022, 10:01 AM

5.11 has a line called LV - low visibility - which supports MOLLE and has a hidden pocket with a velcro belt in it to slide your holster onto.

NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist
Old 10-19-2022, 2:49 PM
retired Goon

Because of employer policies prohibiting unauthorized personnel from carrying a firearm while working, I am allowed to carry to/from work, but not carry while working. I am also allowed to secure my firearm in my vehicle or in my locked desk in my office.

Because of this, I often employ off body carry, due to the ease of carrying and securing it due to my work requirements.

I typically use a Maxpedition Jumbo Verispack.
^Contains my carry pistol, extra ammo, first aid/trauma kit, snacks, and water bottle.

During the 2019-2020 periods of unrest (protest/rioting/looting) where I worked/travel through, I have also utilized my 5.11 Select Carry Pack for off-body carry.
^For my carry pistol, extra ammo, first aid/trauma kit, and Ruger PC Carbine.

For hiking/camping, I have used the Hill People Gear Original Kit Bag full sized for off-body carry.
^For my carry pistol, extra ammo, first aid/trauma kit, map, compass, and snacks.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-23-2022, 7:52 AM

I don't carry a backpack for keeping my gun in but I do have one for carrying first aid supply and a few just incase stuff.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:19 AM
USMC Veteran
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Take a look at Savior Equipment. They have some neat "non-tactical" bags such as guitar/violin cases, tennis bags, etc.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dC0m View Post
Check out Vertx - a lot of their clothing/gear is "gray man-esque". If you're buying directly off their site, look for youtube reviews - a lot of reviewers get 20%+ off codes to give to viewers.
Agree, I've been using a VERTX backpack for a few years now and it doesn't look any different than an off the rack store bag like Jansport.
Plus, they are packed (no pun intended) with features and their Tactigami accessories helps with the load out.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:08 AM

+1 on vertx. I love my ready pack 2.0, lots of features like 223556 said. I was a bit apprehensive about the velcro for holding gear but it sticks well without shifting